Episode #0419 (08 January 2017)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0419 (08 January 2017)

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Episode #0419 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
85:38; 96 kbps, mono; 101 MB

Episode #0419! Mike and Chris discuss some of the core themes in the Dragon Ball series. From pushing oneself to the limit, to falling victim to your own hubris, to gathering the energy and support of your friends, Dragon Ball has it all. How do these themes repeat themselves throughout the franchise?

SEGMENTS:
00:14 - Introduction (what's on deck, etc.)
02:18 - Topic (the core themes of Dragon Ball)
1:23:58 - Episode wrap-up and website project teases

REFERENCED SITES:
Look forward to predictions episode next week...?!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kerunou

Re: Episode #0419 (08 January 2017)

Post by Kerunou » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:50 pm

Listening now. Great topic. In the beginning of this episode you guys mention talking in depth about the music of Dragonball. Do you know which episode of the podcast this was or was it solely a Kirblog? That topic is super intriguing to me.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Sure! It was episode 392.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kerunou

Post by Kerunou » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Sure! It was episode 392.
Great! Thanks a lot for the quick response. I only recently started listening the past couple months, but I've really enjoyed everything I've listened to thus far.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:07 am

Interesting topic.

Can't say I really saw the virtue in the final battle against Pure Buu as an example of everyone working together. It's hard to get invested in that supposed theme when the narrative itself goes out of its way to say that the whole Genki-Dama plan is completely unnecessary, that they can glass Buu in half a dozen other ways (use the Potara, bring Gohan, bring Gotenks, do the dance while Mr. Buu fights Pure buu, etc.), and that literally the only reason they're going through with this is because Vegeta wants to make a point about the Earthlings being responsible for their own defense. A completely illogical point, it should be noted, since:

A. Gohan and Gotenks are Earthlings.
B. The only reason Buu is even around is because of Vegeta.

Speaking of the """heroes""" causing all the problems, the conversation on Goku's hubris reminded me of a famous quote. Paraphrased: "You can always count on Goku to do the right thing, after he has tried everything else".

Gokas Niger

Post by Gokas Niger » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:27 pm

good episode I liked normal slow and the other will be good

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:39 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Speaking of the """heroes""" causing all the problems, the conversation on Goku's hubris reminded me of a famous quote. Paraphrased: "You can always count on Goku to do the right thing, after he has tried everything else".
Well hey, that's still better than some other people.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:45 pm

Very cool topic; finally getting around to listening to this one. For me, the most consistent theme in the series, and even other Toriyama works, has always been the idea that a sort of admirable, single-minded "purity" in the pursuit of personal improvement will influence the world in a positive way almost in spite of anything else. That idea seems far more present to me than anything on friendship (except that that attitude has a gravity to it that inevitably gains and motivates friends--Goku shrinks the universe around him), forgiveness, etc. Anything regarding cooperation and teamwork seems like it would fall under its thematic umbrella, as Goku's attitude is what brings all those unlikely allies together in the first place.

Goku isn't always forward thinking. He isn't always trying to do good. But the universe rewards his singular, unfettered motivation for self-improvement constantly. His almost myopic purity earns him the friendship and cooperation of old rivals, enemies, and the highest gods. At the same time, characters with more eclectic motivations, or who compare themselves to others, either drop out of the limelight or are punished. They're certainly not the centers of gravity in the way Goku is.

The series doesn't pretend that's a perfect moral stance -- it's often sincere in taking Goku to task or portraying his decisions in a negative light (his decision to keep fighting Freeza on Namek, let Vegeta escape, etc.) -- but ultimately goodness can't help but gravitate toward him in spite of itself. I don't think Toriyama is ever interested in moralizing to begin with. An imperfect hero whose commendable do-anything attitude gets him unexpectedly perfect results suits him fine.

When I lay it out that way, that sounds uncomfortably Randian, but Goku is both too hyperbolically selfish, and at the same time too compassionate, for that. He's not uncharitable; just focused, with all the good and bad that comes with it, along with its pull and its gravity. I also think the ending with Oob somewhat responds to the negative aspects of Goku's quest for self-improvement that begin to build up in the second half of the series. Oob's a healthy outlet for his drive, and perhaps can come to embody all the positive aspects of Goku without the occasional callousness.

GT offers a very, very different thematic reading of the series by giving it a completely different ending. It definitely argues for personal responsibility in a way the manga is never concerned with, and uses all the previous material for an ending that subverts what's come before, rather than building on it. The world shrinks instead of expands. All of the magic elements and singular pillars the world and cast could rely on get swept off the stage. It's seriously interesting. In GT, Goku and the Dragon Balls are too strong a medicine. They're fantasy elements that could only ever have existed for so long. Life goes on.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:08 am

Awesome episode! :) Please release the new podcast episode because it's been 1 month today since this last one. :cry: