Son Gohan's true age finally revealed in English

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZPolk01

Son Gohan's true age finally revealed in English

Post by ZPolk01 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:46 am

Well, according to the Narrator, 7 years have passes since Gohan defeated Cell, and he says that the last time we saw Gohan, he was 9, which is how old he was when he beat Cell, so everyone can stop calling him "Teen Gohan" or complaining about Colleen Clinkenbeard's performance as him. The narrator added that Gohan is now 16 yrs. old (though 17 in the manga; oh well), but either way, he's in his mid/late teens. So, he is not 18 like some people think, so it makes more sense as to why he's in high school, therefore, he is not "Adult Gohan", the Boo Saga Gohan is indeed "Teen Gohan".

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Re: Son Gohan's true age finally revealed in English

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:35 am

Wonder what the dialogue was in the Japanese version. Also for all of Dokkan Battle's..........weird translations (COORA!), it is the only Dragon Ball game to refer to Gohan's phases correctly in English. Gohan (Kid), Gohan (Youth), Gohan (Teen), Ultimate Gohan.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:20 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Wonder what the dialogue was in the Japanese version.
Gohan is 16 in Dragon Ball Kai's Japanese broadcast, too. I didn't think his age was ever questioned. He's always referenced as being 16, I think. That includes the original manga and the Japanese broadcast for Dragon Ball Z.

Kassavo

Post by Kassavo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:44 am

Since Gohan is 16 years old as Ultimate Gohan that explains why he was so careless and cocky with his newfound abilities haha.
Strive to be the best you possible. Work hard to surpass your limits and make improvements that will better your chances of success in life. Always seek new challenges no matter how tough of an opponent stands before you. This is the philosophy which all Gokuists live by. #Gokuism #Gokuist www.ayomrnelson.com

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:52 am

Nejishiki wrote:Gohan is 16 in Dragon Ball Kai's Japanese broadcast, too. I didn't think his age was ever questioned. He's always referenced as being 16, I think. That includes the original manga and the Japanese broadcast for Dragon Ball Z.
Drats, I was just about to come in and say this :lol:
But yeah, the above poster is right. Gohan's been said to be 16 here for a while. The English dub of Kai just finally got around to it and said it right, like it should've been said in the Z dub.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Wonder what the dialogue was in the Japanese version.
Gohan is 16 in Dragon Ball Kai's Japanese broadcast, too. I didn't think his age was ever questioned. He's always referenced as being 16, I think. That includes the original manga and the Japanese broadcast for Dragon Ball Z.
In the original Z dub, Piccolo referred to him as 11 during his fight with Cell. THAT'S where the confusion happened.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Spiketbear

Post by Spiketbear » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:25 pm

That is one of the many egregious errors introduced by the original English dub changing things on a whim to suit their own narrative. So for the past 14 years, everywhere but Japan has been constantly arguing about Gohan's age. This is one of the many reasons I'm excited for Z Kai. Sadly, we are still not getting a "definitive version," because we will have to sit through 8 extra episodes of filler that Japan didn't have to. Oh well, this is still awesome.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Spiketbear wrote:That is one of the many egregious errors introduced by the original English dub changing things on a whim to suit their own narrative. So for the past 14 years, everywhere but Japan has been constantly arguing about Gohan's age. This is one of the many reasons I'm excited for Z Kai. Sadly, we are still not getting a "definitive version," because we will have to sit through 8 extra episodes of filler that Japan didn't have to. Oh well, this is still awesome.
Technically, the international version IS the definitive version of the Buu Saga of Kai. Gotta remember that they were editing the show together specifically for international audiences, since it didn't do as well in Japan. They only aired it on TV in Japan because they didn't expect Toriko to be cancelled. At least that's the vibe I get from Mayumi Tanaka's blog post from several years ago when they started putting it together. She said it was specifically being put together for international markets & not for Japan.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:13 am

Spiketbear wrote:That is one of the many egregious errors introduced by the original English dub changing things on a whim to suit their own narrative. So for the past 14 years, everywhere but Japan has been constantly arguing about Gohan's age. This is one of the many reasons I'm excited for Z Kai. Sadly, we are still not getting a "definitive version," because we will have to sit through 8 extra episodes of filler that Japan didn't have to. Oh well, this is still awesome.
That's not too bad a change actually. 16 is the age of consent in Japan, but 18 is the age for America. So in a way, 16 IS kind of 18 for Japan :lol: !

EDIT: Besides, Gohan's always been pretty ripped for his age in all his appearances.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:41 am

However, he should only be 16 at the start. As per the Daizenshu, Gohan's birthday is in May (the specific date from the anime filler contradicts the manga tho), and the Boo Arc starts in April. So he's actually 10 at the Cell Games and should be 17 for the bulk of Boo...if you don't count his time in the RoSaT. That's another can of worms.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Spiketbear

Post by Spiketbear » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:39 am

Scsigs wrote:
Technically, the international version IS the definitive version of the Buu Saga of Kai. Gotta remember that they were editing the show together specifically for international audiences, since it didn't do as well in Japan. They only aired it on TV in Japan because they didn't expect Toriko to be cancelled. At least that's the vibe I get from Mayumi Tanaka's blog post from several years ago when they started putting it together. She said it was specifically being put together for international markets & not for Japan.
I am aware, but the Japanese cut removes so much more unnecessary filler. I wish this was the version everyone got. I also wish someone had thought to cut down the "battle royal"/Dabura meditating/everyone standing around doing nothing filler. It is some of the most mind-numbingly boring sections of the anime, maybe only second to Fake Namek, or anything to do with Bulma on Namek.

ZPolk01

Post by ZPolk01 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:40 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:However, he should only be 16 at the start. As per the Daizenshu, Gohan's birthday is in May (the specific date from the anime filler contradicts the manga tho), and the Boo Arc starts in April. So he's actually 10 at the Cell Games and should be 17 for the bulk of Boo...if you don't count his time in the RoSaT. That's another can of worms.
I'm sorry, what are you talking about?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:16 pm

ZPolk01 wrote:I'm sorry, what are you talking about?
I think my previous post is perfectly clear. Gohan should be 16 during the Saiyaman portion of the Boo Arc, and 17 by the time we reach the 25th Tenka'ichi Budōkai.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Gohan's dub age started off being wrong all the way back in the 90's. Since the rest of Z sprinboarded from the very original scripts that Funimation used, Gohan started the series being "five and a half" instead of four years old. So that added one year to Gohan's age. Plus, I think that Funimation counted the "year" inside the Room of Spirit in time, making him 11. I mean they did harp on how Goku and Gohan spent a year (to them) in there. Is that why the manga has him in high school at 17?
Did Funimation try to pass him off as an 11 year old or 12 year old? I don't really remember. Regardless, there's zero excuse for a "Teen Gohan" anyway because there is no incarnation that actually sees him as a teenager against Cell. Teenagers start at 13 (you know, the first number that you ad a "teen" after), and even if Funimation did claim that he was 11 or even 12, that's still not a "teen."

The "Teen Gohan" thing always did bug me in the games.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:51 am

Buu-era Gohan was 16 in the original FUNi dub- Kyle Hebert (as the narrator) says it outright in the same opening narration every other version does.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

ZPolk01

Post by ZPolk01 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:35 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Buu-era Gohan was 16 in the original FUNi dub- Kyle Hebert (as the narrator) says it outright in the same opening narration every other version does.
I watched the 1st episode of the Z version, he did not say that.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:16 am

ZPolk01 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Buu-era Gohan was 16 in the original FUNi dub- Kyle Hebert (as the narrator) says it outright in the same opening narration every other version does.
I watched the 1st episode of the Z version, he did not say that.
Just checked, son of gun, he didn't. I even remembered the intonation, let alone the line. Must have confused it with a video game, unless it was rerecorded at some point.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:25 am

ZPolk01 wrote: (though 17 in the manga; oh well)
He's 16 in the manga too

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:07 am

Unless Gohan had a birthday while training for the 25th Tenka'ichi Budokai, he was 16 during the entire Majin Buu arc.

When does the Japanese school year typically start, anyway?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:33 am

Duo wrote:When does the Japanese school year typically start, anyway?
Gohan's school year started in April.