Chi Chi's voice seems off

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Okay, so I've just watched clips of Dragon Ball Z Kai The Final Chapters, and everyone still do some good performances. Kyle Hebert's still great as Gohan, Chris Sabat is great as Vegeta and Piccolo, Sean Schemmel is still great as Goku, Kara Edwards is still great as Goten and Videl (even though her Goten kinda needs some improvement on Super), Laura Bailey is still great as Trunks (Alexis Tipton is doing a fine job at imitating her in Super). Everyone did a fine job, with the exception of...

Chi Chi. Her voice just seems so off to me, to the point where she doesn't sound like Cynthia Cranz. She sounds more like Tiffany Vollmer's Bulma, and I don't know why, was Cynthia Cranz sick while they were recording this, did Tiffany Vollmer came back to replace her? (if that was the case, why didn't she come back as Bulma?) I don't know. What do you guys think? Was her voice off to you as well?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Arian
Banned

Re: Chi Chi's voice seems off

Post by Arian » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:36 pm

I definitely noticed it while watching FUNimation's dub of Super. I don't know how that could have passed. It's all crackly and doesn't sound like the Chi-Chi we know and love.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Yeah, it's really messed up. I never was a fan of Cranz's Chi-Chi anyway, because she was always too loud which made the character more intolerable than she already was. Now in Buu Kai and Super she constantly shrieks and her voice is always cracking, which makes it even worse! :sick:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:18 am

I'm not...really sure what you guys are talking about? I've been following the Dragon Ball Super clips by RachelX, and she sounds fine to me; in fact, this is the best she's sounded throughout her career. It feels like she's finally gotten the right balance of "sweet but also short-tempered", like what the Japanese VA had.

EDIT: For reference, this is the clip I watched
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:24 am

She's like 15 years older than she was when doing DBZ in the 90's and early 2000's.

She's an old lady now, cut her some slack.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:42 am

precita wrote:She's like 15 years older than she was when doing DBZ in the 90's and early 2000's.

Dude, she's 47. It's not like she was 45 when Z was recorded and is now in her late 50s to late 60s.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:57 am

precita wrote:She's like 15 years older than she was when doing DBZ in the 90's and early 2000's.

Masako Nozawa is 80 years old, turning 81 this year. Just sayin'.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:05 am

I noticed this right away. It sounds like she's been screaming at a concert the night before and lost her voice (I've been there a few times myself). Since her voice hasn't improved in Super and still has that hoarseness to it I can only guess she's somehow done permanent damage while yelling in one of Funimation's dubs. Maybe she insisted on reprising the role but it honestly doesn't sound very good.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:50 pm

I like it. We are 7 years later and it kind of makes sense in verse that she would sound like that probably shouting for so long :P

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:41 pm

NitroEX wrote:I noticed this right away. It sounds like she's been screaming at a concert the night before and lost her voice (I've been there a few times myself). Since her voice hasn't improved in Super and still has that hoarseness to it I can only guess she's somehow done permanent damage while yelling in one of Funimation's dubs. Maybe she insisted on reprising the role but it honestly doesn't sound very good.
Yeah, you might be on to something,since Super was recorded a few years after Kai TFC started (unless Cranz was one of the last actors to record their lines before moving right on to Super).

But then, wasn't Battle of Gods around the time they started Kai TFC? I don't recall this problem in that.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:35 pm

In the latest Kai episode, Chi Chi's voice was even more noticeably cracking when she was cheering Goten on. It's bizarre that they thought this was okay. If they were willing to recast so many others, like Freeza, then they probably should have recast Chi Chi. Even Brad Jackson is suddenly Oolong again in TFC, which is inconsistent with the rest of Kai.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:In the latest Kai episode, Chi Chi's voice was even more noticeably cracking when she was cheering Goten on. It's bizarre that they thought this was okay. If they were willing to recast so many others, like Freeza, then they probably should have recast Chi Chi. Even Brad Jackson is suddenly Oolong again in TFC, which is inconsistent with the rest of Kai.
I don't know if she can down with something temporary at the time and she decided to soldier through it or if this was a decision on the vocal direction. Has Cranz or anybody else spoken about this?

I guess with Brad Jackson returning isn't really as noticeable considering how Oolong's been less relevant in Buu Saga compared to even the rest of Z. With Young's recasting it had to do with Freeza's character and dialogue altogether.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Not sure I'm seeing the problem here?

For some reason people are thinking that she can't voice act anymore, which is why she sounds different. I would say it's the exact opposite. Her voice during the original run of Z was painful to listen to. You wanted to rip your ears off every time she was on screen. Now her voice seems a lot smoother to me, and she sounds like she's giving a way better performance. I love the new voice she's putting on, and hope she continues.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:26 am

NitroEX wrote:I noticed this right away. It sounds like she's been screaming at a concert the night before and lost her voice (I've been there a few times myself). Since her voice hasn't improved in Super and still has that hoarseness to it I can only guess she's somehow done permanent damage while yelling in one of Funimation's dubs. Maybe she insisted on reprising the role but it honestly doesn't sound very good.
Could be that funny enough. I mean maybe her voice is giving way to age and the fact that most of Chi-Chi's lines in general is her shouting at Goku. Here is the toll on that. Its sad though because it really shows in the dub due to the low quality she gives the character because of that. When she talks normally as Chi Chi she slurs her words a lot like she's drunk, but when she yells her voice cracks. I think she should have retired to be honest.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:42 am

Asura wrote: Now her voice seems a lot smoother to me, and she sounds like she's giving a way better performance. I love the new voice she's putting on, and hope she continues.
I never was a fan of her Chi Chi, but here it's definitely worse. Every single line her voice cracks immensely, and it sounds like she's straining just to say her lines.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:20 am

Asura wrote:Not sure I'm seeing the problem here?

For some reason people are thinking that she can't voice act anymore, which is why she sounds different. I would say it's the exact opposite. Her voice during the original run of Z was painful to listen to. You wanted to rip your ears off every time she was on screen. Now her voice seems a lot smoother to me, and she sounds like she's giving a way better performance. I love the new voice she's putting on, and hope she continues.
I wouldn't say it's "bad" since I can honestly tell that Cranz is giving it all she's got despite whatever is hindering her vocal chords and I can respect that. Yet all the same, there's a noticeable shift in terms of pitch that makes me wonder if she's okay, messing with my immersion into the show.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:19 pm

I am wondering if Kai finally just killed her.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:24 am

Yeah I noticed her voice sounding pretty raspy despite her performance still being good. Does anyone know if she smokes in real life?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:32 am

ringworm128 wrote:Yeah I noticed her voice sounding pretty raspy despite her performance still being good. Does anyone know if she smokes in real life?
No idea, but most VA's don't strike me as being smokers.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:52 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Yeah I noticed her voice sounding pretty raspy despite her performance still being good. Does anyone know if she smokes in real life?
No idea, but most VA's don't strike me as being smokers.
Sabat evidently used to smoke when he was younger, not sure if he still does now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MgOJoGlIRc