Episode #0422 (19 February 2017)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0422 (19 February 2017)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Episode #0422 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
46:51; 96 kbps, mono; 32.4 MB

Episode #0422! Mike and Julian dissect the names of all twelve God of Destruction characters revealed for the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series' "Universe Survival arc". Each appears to be alcohol-based, so what are the best spelling adaptations in our alphabet? Marc then joins to discuss digital manga storefronts and the varying degrees of image quality out there. One might think the actual publisher is the best source, but are there better options out there?

SEGMENTS:
00:14 - Introduction (what's on deck)
03:15 - News (twelve God of Destruction names)
23:41 - Topic (digital manga storefronts)
42:31 - Episode wrap-up (content recommendations)

REFERENCED SITES:
Digital manga image comparisons coming soon (throwing the episode up now in the interest of actually getting it out on time)!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

nato25
Advanced Regular

Re: Episode #0422 (19 February 2017)

Post by nato25 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:15 am

Always a treat, great to hear your thoughts on all the alcohol names. Bourbon and Scotch could be other names but I believe there was already a Bourbon pun with that guy building the shelter during the 10 day Cell Games break.

I'm not sure if you've ever taken on board topic suggestions but it's been a while since there's been an in universe topic and those are some of my personal favourite episodes. I'd love to see you guys try to tackle the time travel aspect of the series, especially now after all the very complicated Future Trunks arc additions to how it works.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:14 am

So good to hear Julian again! Goes without saying that I enjoy listening to Herms, Meri and whoever else might be stopping by (and Mark, holy shit!) - but it's been a while since I've heard ol' SaiyaJedi. For a long time I couldn't imagine the show without him.

The digital manga topic was incredibly fascinating. I was already a fan of comixology, but I didn't expect them to have such an advantage over the publisher's own content. Unless I missed it, censorship wasn't mentioned. Am I to assume that the digital prints of Dragon Ball are "uncensored" (barring Popo's lips and dialogue)?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Its also on iTunes iBooks too! You guys never mentioned that?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:19 am

Lunaar wrote:The digital manga topic was incredibly fascinating. I was already a fan of comixology, but I didn't expect them to have such an advantage over the publisher's own content. Unless I missed it, censorship wasn't mentioned. Am I to assume that the digital prints of Dragon Ball are "uncensored" (barring Popo's lips and dialogue)?
Censorship wasn't mentioned because, for most comics/manga, that is what the publisher (or the company they licensed from) chooses to do. Assume anything uses whatever the company commonly makes available, unless they describe a specific element you are looking for.

Basically, expect every platform to have the same versions, whether they be uncut, censored, or etc. If it says 'Dragon Ball' at place A, at most other places it'll be the same version.

Also, nice to know people appreciate me showing up (based on your surprise at me being there.)

simtek34 wrote:Its also on iTunes iBooks too! You guys never mentioned that?
I believe I mentioned it quickly in the sense that, I wasn't sure if it was there. I minimized looking at places I didn't own stuff at, since I couldn't be sure the quality of the sample.

Also, despite loving my iPhone, iTunes has an inherent disadvantage against most reading platforms in that you can't move between devices unless you 'only' use Apple for it.

Ironically while writing this I recalled I actually owned some manga on both Comixology and iTunes, and while it isn't Dragon Ball... it was actually a Viz property, so me pulling a few more comparison images wouldn't be a bad thing if people were interested to see how iTunes stacks up to Comixology.

I would have loved testing stuff on every platform to be honest, but that requires a decent chunk of money to properly do, because I'd have to rebuy the same manga everywhere.

Super Birado

Post by Super Birado » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:32 am

Loved this episode! Very informative, thank you.

I did have one question though: "Moscow Mule" seemed like a little bit of a stretch. Wouldn't "Moscato" (マスカット) make more sense as the pun?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:50 am

Glad you liked it!
Super Birado wrote:I did have one question though: "Moscow Mule" seemed like a little bit of a stretch. Wouldn't "Moscato" (マスカット) make more sense as the pun?
That seems like more of a stretch to me, though. The character's name is モスコ. A Moscow mule's spelling in Japanese is モスコ・ミュール... so that's literally just the exact same three beginning characters, as-is.

Names with syllable adjustments tend to be above all else an elongation or drop, and then secondarily things like ト to ド where the dakuten/diacritics adapt a syllable. We've seen this a lot with names like グルド from ヨーグルト. This is opposed to what you've presented above where an entirely different syllable is swapped in (so in your theory, カ to コ). It's not that there's no precedent for this (see: Boo's dog's name as ベエ), but it's just not that common... and in fact, I can't think of another one at all off the top of my head.

So that's why we're thinking a half-name-drop from モスコ・ミュール (Moscow mule), with a runner-up of a rearranged コスモ (cosmo), followed by something else entirely that we might be missing... but if we get beyond those, that's a bit too much of a reach compared to what they/Toriyama normally do/does.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:18 pm

I know the episode is several months old, but I thought I'd throw my hat in here for the Kindle side: far as I can tell, it's the only one of the three mentioned that allows you to read the manga without an internet connection! Incredibly important for someone like me in NZ whose internet can't always be counted on. For some odd reason Viz decided not to have Dragon Ball available to download a backup copy of on ComiXology.