Episode #0423 (30 April 2017)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0423 (30 April 2017)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Episode #0423 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
45:56; 96 kbps, mono; 31.7 MB

Episode #0423! Mike and Ajay check in on the updated visual style and effects on display in the "Universe Survival arc" of "Dragon Ball Super". Have the filters been toned down in any way, or is that perception just a side effect of the story's various locales? Has pre-production evened out to acceptable levels, and what kinds of tidbits are out there on social media telling the behind-the-scenes story?

SEGMENTS:
00:13 - Introduction (what's on deck, recent content)
04:21 - News (Japanese and American home releases coming soon)
19:12 - Topic ("Universe Survival arc" animation/visuals check-in)
42:31 - Episode wrap-up (content recommendations)

REFERENCED SITES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9q70zCJYBc
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ajay

Re: Episode #0423 (30 April 2017)

Post by Ajay » Mon May 01, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for having me back on!

Here are some visual references for a few things I mentioned during the show:

[spoiler]Depth of field:

Rim lighting and environment affecting lighting:

Rain affected by auras:

'Cinematic' Atmosphere:

Wit Studio's Make-up Animation:

Impressive moments from 'big' episodes:

Smaller episodes but still cool:

[/spoiler]
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Mon May 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Ajay wrote:Thanks for having me back on!

Here are some visual references for a few things I mentioned during the show:

[spoiler]Depth of field:

Rim lighting and environment affecting lighting:

Rain affected by auras:

'Cinematic' Atmosphere:

Wit Studio's Make-up Animation:

Impressive moments from 'big' episodes:

Smaller episodes but still cool:

[/spoiler]
This was a very fascinating episode. I was honestly wondering this past weekend if you guys (specifically you, Ajay - my YouTube feed doesn't feel the same without you) were going to follow up on the current state of the show and sure enough, an episode cometh.

I know this has most likely been addressed and it teeters on the side of putting too much post-production into podcasts (especially for a format that isn't the primary source), but have you considered adding contextual references to the YouTube videos, such as the material Ajay provided? I know it would risk alienating the audio-only audience, but I feel there is potential for the information to be digested more efficiently. Perhaps an extension to the current week's topic on the forum could contain screenshots, news sources and other hi-jinks? Food for thought. All in all, great episode. Thanks again.

"It's probably savagely lit. I dunno." Yep, going into the sig.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Man it would be two years since Super started airing that the final piece of the puzzle (Super finally arriving internationally on home video) will be pieced! Cannot believe for the longest time we had no simulcast, no dub, no Manga license with importing merchandise being the only way to legally support the show. It kind of felt like they wanted Japan to have it first, which is understandable but in this day and age as it proved is kind of difficult especially with something as big as DB.

Anyway on the main topic of the podcast! Was interesting to get some more info about the animation etc from Ajay aka the now retired DBTuber :P I do like what these new directors have done, they basically revamped Super and it feels like Super 2.0 I heard these guys were responsible for getting OP back on track so let us hope Super comes out much better after this. And yeah there has actually been a surprising amount of action in these episodes I mean some of Tate's best work since his Freeza cut came in just a minor friendly spar of 17 vs Goku... Really excited for the ToP now!

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Post by jpranevich » Mon May 08, 2017 8:10 pm

Mike: Unclear if you will see this here but I'll try anyway: a few years back you were using a MXL 990 microphone. Is that still your mic of choice for podcasting? Or have your taken a different path these days?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 09, 2017 11:28 am

jpranevich wrote:Mike: Unclear if you will see this here but I'll try anyway: a few years back you were using a MXL 990 microphone. Is that still your mic of choice for podcasting? Or have your taken a different path these days?
Yep! I use the standard MXL 990 into a mixer, while Heath uses the USB version of the MXL 990. I... wouldn't recommend it to a newcomer, or someone who's not super-invested in putting in the time and effort to really tweak how they sound and what their mic etiquette is like. It does have a decent amount of internal noise which I've worked a lot on compensating for over the years (combination of placement, room adjustments, regular ol' noise removal, and straight-up editing/cutting). It being a condenser mic you can get a really warm sound out of it if you are willing to put that effort in, but it's not a starter mic. I'd honestly just recommend a normal dynamic mic for most people; the other mic I have down in the recording room is a Shure SM58, which is what I have Meri use. That kind of dynamic mic is much more direct in terms of where it's sourcing its sound from, and it's not going to necessarily pick up every tiny little last click of your saliva the way mine does. Hell, I edit out a lot of my tiny little breaths because it picks things up too well and it otherwise sounds ridiculous!

Most people don't need a mixer (don't have multiple people in the same room at the same time), but will therefore require either a USB-based mic to get its power, or some other preamp and then a way to get them digitally into the computer. There are a lot of options to get you there... something I see offered up quite often is the Blue Yeti, which I don't have any personal experience with.

This blog post from 2011 is still mostly accurate; there haven't been any major equipment changes since then beyond the addition of that aforementioned SM58 (other than our actual computers/laptops). There's just... uhh... quite a few more books in the room, now :). Anyway, hope that's helpful!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::