Anyone else annoyed at Crunchyroll's subs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Anyone else annoyed at Crunchyroll's subs?

Post by Forte224 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:37 am

It's been bugging me for a while, but especially now that the dub is being released, I really wish Crunchyroll would use more accurate subs. I mean we're still seeing Special Beam Cannon, energy, Master Roshi, etc. being used even though it's not what they're saying. After looking at the numerous disrespectful comments on episode 1 completely dissing Nozawa's Goku though I guess they just know their audience and feel the need to pander to the solely dub fans. Here's hoping Funi's blu rays get it right anyway, I have faith they will since the dub will be on there, so the subs should be more accurate in order to please both sides.

I'm not a dub hater by the way, I love the current cast's performances and understand that changing things to their accurate names in the dub these days would be very difficult for Funi to do, just wish we could have accurate subs

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Anyone else annoyed at Crunchyroll's subs?

Post by King-K9 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:48 am

It's just attack names it's not that big of a deal.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun May 07, 2017 3:10 am

It's a big deal when "Jii-Chan" is being translated as "Master Roshi" and the subs say "Tien" when Goku clearly said "Tenshinhan". Not everyone grew up with the FUNImation dub.

What's even more annoying is the use of "King-Kai Fist". Please excuse my language but these subs are full-on retarded and solely catering to a specific group of fans.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun May 07, 2017 3:15 am

Oh, absolutely. I've already expressed my annoyance with the subtitles many times. They take me out of the moment. Things like "Supreme Kai sama" and all those terrible terminology FUNi came up with irritate me to no end. It's pandering.

With that said, the translation overall is pretty faithful which is a positive and most importantly it is legal.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun May 07, 2017 3:50 am

King-K9 wrote:It's just attack names it's not that big of a deal.
It is to fans of the original Japanese version.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun May 07, 2017 4:10 am

Bajosexto wrote:
King-K9 wrote:It's just attack names it's not that big of a deal.
It is to fans of the original Japanese version.
Not really. It may be a big deal to the purists, or to the more hardcore branches. For most of us, it's just a minor inconvenience, and a temporary one at that.
Retired.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun May 07, 2017 4:21 am

Not really, I know the differences between Japanese and English versions well enough to know why something is being translated as it is, it's kinda funny actually
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun May 07, 2017 4:31 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:It is to fans of the original Japanese version.
Not really. It may be a big deal to the purists, or to the more hardcore branches. For most of us, it's just a minor inconvenience, and a temporary one at that.
Yeah, I guess it isn't that dig of a deal. But it does bother me. Especially because I didn't grow up with the FUNi dub.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun May 07, 2017 4:33 am

Bajosexto wrote:Yeah, I guess it isn't that dig of a deal. But it does bother me. Especially because I didn't grow up with the FUNi dub.
I barely grew up with the Funimation dub. I only had passing, if frequent familiarity with the series before I watched the entire thing in Japanese. I have far more attachment to the Japanese version than the English, I still don't care that much. I know what it actually means, that's all that matters to me.
Retired.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun May 07, 2017 6:52 am

The terms that annoy me the most are Master Roshi, King Kai Sama, Supreme Kai Sama, and King Kai Fist. The Master Roshi case is particularly annoying because they translate EVERYTHING as Master Roshi. Goku says old timer, but the subs say Master Roshi. Someone says Kame Sennin, Master Roshi. Muten Roshi is, well, Master Roshi. I hate it. What's so bad about saying old timer? Or Turtle Hermit?
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sun May 07, 2017 7:44 am

Forte224 wrote:It's been bugging me for a while, but especially now that the dub is being released, I really wish Crunchyroll would use more accurate subs. I mean we're still seeing Special Beam Cannon, energy, Master Roshi, etc. being used even though it's not what they're saying.
It's not Crunchyroll's fault; they are required to use the subs provided to them by Toei. All of the simulcast platforms—Crunchyroll, Daisuki, Anime Lab, and even Funimation—are using the same subs. Toei apparently attempted to use dub terms as a rule because those terms are most familiar to the English-speaking audience, but they went about it in a really lazy way, making a list of dub names and applying them even in situations where Funimation used different terms, like "King Kai Fist" for Kaiō-ken and "Elder Kai sama" for Ancestor.
Forte224 wrote:Here's hoping Funi's blu rays get it right anyway, I have faith they will since the dub will be on there, so the subs should be more accurate in order to please both sides.
We'll find out in July. As far as I know, there's no confirmation yet that they'll have Simmons redo the subs, but that's what most people are assuming. The dub terms are only part of the problem; the translations are not the greatest, the English itself is full of mistakes, and the style is generally stiff and awkward. I'm sure Simmons would do a much better job.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Sun May 07, 2017 1:14 pm

Furthermore, if i'm not mistaken they called Tenshinhan Tien. :D

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun May 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Yeah, it's really irritating me. And I'm a dub fan. (Even though I've gotten pretty used to the Japanese.) And I don't know why Toei is telling Crunchyroll to pander to us when they should be using the Japanese names. I mean seriously, "King Kai Fist"?! "Supreme Kai sama"?! I'm sorry, but I want the dub terms in my dub, not in the sub!
Caulifla best girl! :)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun May 07, 2017 3:24 pm

Blame Funimation. It's because of them we're stuck with this stuff forever.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sun May 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Look man, you're just going to have to accept it.
If you know what they're saying fine translate the 1-2 words in your head. It's just some words at the bottom of a cartoon.
I definitely prefer this over faulty live tweets or a 16 hour wait for subs.
:clap:

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun May 07, 2017 4:04 pm

It is a little odd they would prioritize the english terms before the Japanese ones. But I don't feel like it's something worth getting bent out of shape about.

The english audience doesn't really care and the people who prefer the Japanese/Original terms know what they mean when they use certain english terms and know what the original version is. At most it's just slight annoyance. Maybe.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 07, 2017 4:28 pm

If anything it does give people more incentive to buy the home release, maybe that is why the pre-orders for Part One are selling so well.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Yomi wrote:Look man, you're just going to have to accept it.
If you know what they're saying fine translate the 1-2 words in your head. It's just some words at the bottom of a cartoon.
I definitely prefer this over faulty live tweets or a 16 hour wait for subs.
Fair point. Just having the episode available right away is pretty nice, but it still is something I feel should change now that the dub is coming out

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Post by sanorin » Mon May 08, 2017 5:13 am

Normally I don't care much since I can understand almost everything without subs, but I noticed the "Tien" for Ten Shin Han in the latest episode and I hated seeing it there.

What about Mr. Satan? Have they called him Hercule? I'm not sure if anyone has said his name in recent episodes. That would really make me puke :sick:

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Mon May 08, 2017 6:07 am

I'm more annoyed that people are CONSTANTLY acting appalled, shocked, bewildered upon seeing another dub term popping up in them - I mean you can dislike them, but are wasting your rage on it because the subs are pretty damn consistent with using dub terms so you can expect them every time.
If they include another DB flashback that this time mentions Kami disguised as Shen who's referred to as "Hero", or the Crane Hermit being referred to as "Master Shen", it'll be just what I expect out of these subs.
Do whatever you like, ghost.