Anyone else annoyed at Crunchyroll's subs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Anyone else annoyed at Crunchyroll's subs?

Post by simtek34 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:39 am

I'm pretty thankful they call Mr. Satan Mr. Satan and not Hercule. Well, this is minor, but they a least call Karin "Karin" and not Korin.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Wed May 10, 2017 5:46 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:What's even more annoying is the use of "King-Kai Fist".
Hey, at least this shows more consistency than Funimation's translation did.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Beek King wrote:I'm more annoyed that people are CONSTANTLY acting appalled, shocked, bewildered upon seeing another dub term popping up in them - I mean you can dislike them, but are wasting your rage on it because the subs are pretty damn consistent with using dub terms so you can expect them every time.
If they include another DB flashback that this time mentions Kami disguised as Shen who's referred to as "Hero", or the Crane Hermit being referred to as "Master Shen", it'll be just what I expect out of these subs.
That's just the thing though, subs for DB haven't consistently used dub terms. At least not on Funi's home releases. They're usually very accurate, especially with attack names and character names

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If anything it does give people more incentive to buy the home release, maybe that is why the pre-orders for Part One are selling so well.
Precisely this! Added incentive.

100% accurate subs are not being given as a free service. The parties involved are not settling for using FUNi's dub terms. Corporate strategy is in play here...

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu May 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Blame toei for this, but hopefully the dvds/blurays will have simmons subs well one can hope anyway.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu May 11, 2017 9:24 pm

All I can say is, I was much happier when Dragon Team was doing the subs. I wasn't 100% on board with every translation choice they made (and, really, when is that ever going to be the case?), but I did respect every choice they made, understood the logic in it, and accepted them as valid choices. And probably at least 90% of the time, I was totally on board with what they were doing. There were even some choices they made that I preferred over Simmons's.

But this? Blech. It only took 2000-era FUNimation two DVD releases, a mere 7 episodes, to realize what a terrible, insulting, distracting, nonsensical idea it was to throw dub terms into a subtitle track. You'd think Toei would have a little more sense than that. And the best part is, it isn't even consistent with itself. There's a kanji on all the students translated as "Ten". The martial art is referred to as "Tenshin-style". Yurin finds herself in the "Tenshin Hall". And yet the character who shares his name with all of those... "Tien". What the fuck are those idiots thinking?!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu May 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:All I can say is, I was much happier when Dragon Team was doing the subs. I wasn't 100% on board with every translation choice they made (and, really, when is that ever going to be the case?), but I did respect every choice they made, understood the logic in it, and accepted them as valid choices. And probably at least 90% of the time, I was totally on board with what they were doing. There were even some choices they made that I preferred over Simmons's.

But this? Blech. It only took 2000-era FUNimation two DVD releases, a mere 7 episodes, to realize what a terrible, insulting, distracting, nonsensical idea it was to throw dub terms into a subtitle track. You'd think Toei would have a little more sense than that. And the best part is, it isn't even consistent with itself. There's a kanji on all the students translated as "Ten". The martial art is referred to as "Tenshin-style". Yurin finds herself in the "Tenshin Hall". And yet the character who shares his name with all of those... "Tien". What the fuck are those idiots thinking?!
Yeah. The only thing I really disliked about Dragon Team's work that I can remember was the alternate spelling of Chouzu. Jiaozi, was it? Anyway, I assume it's technically accurate, but it didn't jive phonetically. Every bit is jarring as hearing Tenshinhan, but reading Tien.
Retired.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Really torn about what to do in this type of situation. I absolutely do not want to support the decisions made in this localization, but...what other option do we have? Surely it's better to support the licensed release, because then at least Toei knows the show is doing well overseas.

I guess all we can do is accept it. Infuriating. For this reason, I refuse to purchase a Crunchyroll subscription. We can only hope that FUNimation has an ounce of respect for the source material and includes proper subtitles in their release.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu May 11, 2017 11:10 pm

batistabus wrote:Really torn about what to do in this type of situation. I absolutely do not want to support the decisions made in this localization, but...what other option do we have? Surely it's better to support the licensed release, because then at least Toei knows the show is doing well overseas.

I guess all we can do is accept it. Infuriating. For this reason, I refuse to purchase a Crunchyroll subscription. We can only hope that FUNimation has an ounce of respect for the source material and includes proper subtitles in their release.
I just watch on Daisuki and let the ads run. It's not like this is the primary version, we already know that Simmons is translating (Edit: I think? Pretty sure I've seen his name in the credits, but I'm doubting myself now). It's a temporary inconvenience.
Retired.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu May 11, 2017 11:20 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
batistabus wrote:Really torn about what to do in this type of situation. I absolutely do not want to support the decisions made in this localization, but...what other option do we have? Surely it's better to support the licensed release, because then at least Toei knows the show is doing well overseas.

I just watch on Daisuki and let the ads run. It's not like this is the primary version, we already know that Simmons is translating (Edit: I think? Pretty sure I've seen his name in the credits, but I'm doubting myself now). It's a temporary inconvenience.
Now that I think about it, are we even sure that Crunchyroll is creating the subtitles? What's Toei's involvement here? I'm not sure who to be displeased with, honestly. Still, here's to hoping for a proper FUNi release.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Thu May 11, 2017 11:35 pm

I could have sworn it was confirmed that Toei is responsible for the translation? Either way, though, it doesn't really matter because, regardless of what preexisting names are used, we're getting accurate translation. I also have no doubt that Simmons will be back for Super, considering Kai got a new translation from him.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Not as much as I was in the beginning, but it's still sad to think I can't get a officially accurate translation of the franchise I love the most.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun May 14, 2017 3:38 am

Well, looking at the credits for the latest episode, Simmons is listed as the translator. So, there's that...

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Daisetsu wrote:Well, looking at the credits for the latest episode, Simmons is listed as the translator. So, there's that...
Yeah I don't think it was in anyone's doubt he wouldn't sub Super.

Though Simmons subs did have a bit of controversy, but not to this scale, back when BoG was subbed when he chose to translate Beerus as Beers and God of Destruction as Destroyer. I wonder if people will still be bothered by that, from what I know they're perfectly valid translations but not one people got behind.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun May 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Daisetsu wrote:Well, looking at the credits for the latest episode, Simmons is listed as the translator. So, there's that...
I thought so, but I didn't take a photo and didn't want to have to dig it up. That's all but confirmation that we'll have his translation in the form of subtitles on the home release, if it were ever in doubt.
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Well, so much for the "Use Funi terms where they exist, make up new terms if Funi left some untranslated" theory. Instead of "Tri-Beam" we got "Ki Blast Cannon" (IIRC)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun May 14, 2017 11:24 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Well, so much for the "Use Funi terms where they exist, make up new terms if Funi left some untranslated" theory. Instead of "Tri-Beam" we got "Ki Blast Cannon" (IIRC)
Not the first time they've broken this rule. "King Kai Fist" is another notable example.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:42 pm

I think "King Kai Fist" falls under the "make up new terms if Funi left some untranslated" part of said rule.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue May 16, 2017 4:39 am

The translator probably doesn't know squat about FUNi's dub and was just given a laundry list of dub terms to use. Anything that the dub didn't translate probably wasn't on said laundry list and thus the translator had to figure out on his own...

I'm glad that for the most part, the other language subs don't have much of this BS. I just watch the Brazillian Portuguese subs on CR, far less things to get annoyed at.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:15 am

Something similar is the JoJo subs and how they change names for copyright. You hear Koichi say Echoes but the subs read Reverb. Same with Josuke and Crazy Diamond/Shining Diamond. They don't bother me, yet these subs bother me greatly. Maybe it's cause in JoJo the names are so defined in the acting it's easy to overwrite the subs, but in DBSuper I have to have my mind overwrite the subs over 20 times an episode, often more due to the sheer amount of name changes.

Another example is Crunchyroll's Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V subs. They use Engrish names instead of translated names. Leaving us with Ute, Hugo and Joeri over Yuto, Yugo and Yuri. And all their Yu-Gi-Oh! series use TCG card names, meaning you clearly hear Yugi say "Black Magician" but the subs read "Dark Magician". And those subs bother me greatly.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/