Could you have tolerated Linda Young in Kai onward?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Could you have tolerated Linda Young in Kai onward?

Post by Forte224 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Just started rewatching Kai from the start yesterday, and yet again forgot and was reminded that Young was Freeza in episode 1 and was planned to continue to be used as Freeza until she was replaced during some Kai recording.

A lot of people myself included massively prefer Chris Ayres for the dub, but I did notice that Young's Freeza laugh in that first episode sounded nowhere near as cringey as it used to, albeit still unfitting for Freeza. Got me thinking though, do you think you could you have tolerated It? A lot of chatacters keep their old Z dub voices in Kai but their acting was undeniably better. What do you think? Would it at least have been serviceable/improved? I'd love to hear the scenes Young did record in Kai just out of curiousity's sake

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Could you have tolerated Linda Young in Kai onward?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:58 pm

No, next question.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue May 16, 2017 7:06 pm

No, not really. She was the wrong choice from day one and I'm glad Sabat replaced her with Ayres.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue May 16, 2017 8:24 pm

Nowadays, I can't imagine anyone but Chris Ayers playing Freeza. However, at the time the Kai dub was announced, I had gotten used to Linda Young as Freeza. So, had the show continued on with Linda Young, I wouldn't have lost sleep over it but nowadays I'm spoiled with Ayers in the role.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Ayers' Freeza is so much better. I'm happy we have him.

Young didn't fit Freeza. She did old Genkai in YYH just fine, but that voice isn't what Freeza's character is.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Tue May 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Lord no. I'll give her credit for her work but... Growing up with the Spanish dub, where Freeza sounded like a /man/ I hated her potrayel. Albeit, the current voice isn't manly, but much more tolerable.
My immortal Phoenix died of food poisoning

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8udQV ... 4GFPrFEPzg
Twitter https://twitter.com/SmugStick

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:51 pm

She would have sounded like this, if not slightly better: https://youtu.be/wviMF1sUTco?t=39

While it's much better then her season 3 performance, it's still no where near as good Chris Ayers performance is.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue May 16, 2017 9:08 pm

No. Linda's pitch and inflections for her Freeza voice has been just way too inconsistent for a good judge of her performance. It went from either too feminine, too throaty, or too bratty sounding and the bad dialogue she has had for so long gives me nothing to compare her best work to. Chris just seems to do the voice sought for the character much easier.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Tue May 16, 2017 9:26 pm

I actually would've liked to hear Young's performance with a more accurate script. Her last time voicing Frieza, which I believe was the first Raging Blast game, was one of if not her best performances as Frieza. I was excited when I heard she was going to be Frieza again in Kai, but she got replaced last second, which kinda disappointed me.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 16, 2017 9:30 pm

I don't think she would've been a great choice, but the question is whether or not I can tolerate it, and I absolutely could.
Retired.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Tue May 16, 2017 9:56 pm

Well I've tolerated it for years before Kai. So I wouldn't have had a problem continuing to do so. I never hated it, but even when I was just a itty bitty person, Linda's Freeza just seemed really off. Though it's funny to imagine Linda in ressurection F and Super with more accurate scripts.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Wed May 17, 2017 12:38 am

I am immensely curious as to what her Freeza would have sounded like under Kai's direction.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:04 am

If Young hadn't been recast, I might not have bothered with Kai.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed May 17, 2017 1:06 am

Metalwario64 wrote:If Young hadn't been recast, I might not have bothered with Kai.
You say that, but it would still be the best dub by far. Would you really pass on it just because one villain, albeit an iconic one, had a voice that didn't perfectly reflect the character? I don't think anyone could honestly say they would, other than people who don't care about dubs at all.
Retired.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:18 am

Before Kai came out, I was basically moving over to just watching Z in Japanese (and the Dragon Boxes were coming out), so if Young hadn't been replaced, I'd probably had just stuck with that, but Ayers being cast as Freeza was a pretty big deal back then. I really don't think the Freeza arc would have been nearly as enjoyable in Kai with Young, because even in the best scripted games (Burst Limit, was it?) she still sounded wrong, and her line delivery still wasn't up to snuff as Freeza, so it's evident why Sabat replaced her. Schemmel's King Kai still should have been replaced as well, but that one didn't happen.

Anyway, that's why I say "might", because while I don't think she would have done a good job, it might have been passable enough that I could overlook it (like Schemmels' Kaio and Cranz' Chichi). Therefore, my answer to this thread boils down to maybe I could have tolerated her, but that would probably have hurt my interest in the dub. The only reason I tolerate Kaio's voice is because he has very little screentime. Young would have played the most important and prominent villain in the arc (and as of Super, apparently the franchise).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 am

I don't really like Chris Ayers's Freeza. So I probaly wouldn't like Linda Young's Freeza in Kai either.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Wed May 17, 2017 2:13 am

Even with accurate dialogue, I highly doubt that I would have enjoyed Linda Young's portrayal. if memory serves, the main reason why she was replaced was because she couldn't keep up with the more verbose and flowery script. That problem probably wouldn't have gone away. Eventually I probably would've developed a preference for the Japanese dub just as I have now, and comparing Linda Young to Ryusei Nakao is all kinds of unfair.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 17, 2017 2:32 am

I'd be interested if it was an alternate audio track on the Blu-Rays with the Ayres version being the default. While Young most likely would have been a little better than she was in Z with better direction and an accurate script overall (and with all due respect to her) it wouldn't have worked, she is fine as Baba and Genkai in Yu Yu Hakusho but Freeza is just not the right fit for her. Would it have been tolerable? At best yeah probably, but it wouldn't have been ideal.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed May 17, 2017 3:38 am

Nope, she was horrid beyond redemption.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:17 am

DHM211 wrote:She would have sounded like this, if not slightly better: https://youtu.be/wviMF1sUTco?t=39
A Boo Saga clip? I thought you were going to post this, as that's probably the "best" we'll ever see of Linda Young's Freeza...and even with accurate dialogue, it's still not that good.

...I wonder what Pauline Newstone's Freeza would have been like with an accurate script. Sure, LittleKuriboh and Chris Ayres' portrayals are better, but Newstone's Freeza is pretty good as far as female voices for the character go, better than Young's that's for sure. For one thing Newstone's voice can actually be threatening and scary when she wants it to be. Young...not even close.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.