Why the dub for Z is inferior to Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Why the dub for Z is inferior to Kai

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:42 am

I thought this would be a fun idea let's see how many things we can come up with for why Zs dub doesn't hold up to Kai?

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Re: Why the dub for Z is inferior to Kai

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:44 am

I'll start it off because in Z Vegeta cries because Frieza took him from his family :wtf: . Real accurate dialogue and portrayal their :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:52 am

Is this thread really necessary? I think we all know why the Kai dub is better. Better acting, better direction, better scripts...My only gripe is that they didn't recast Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Recoome, Master Roshi, Chi-Chi, 16, King Kai and the Ox-King.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:05 am

Necessary maybe not but not that Kai is finished it would be fun to see how many specific examples we can come up with plus a great reference for people who think Z is better :D

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:12 am

Cat loves food, yeah yeah yeah!
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:23 am

Is this thread really necessary?

Just realized someone said that before me. Still true though.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Let's see.....

• The scripts are inaccurate to the Japanese version, whereas in Kai they are very close
• The performances by the original cast are inferior
• Almost all of the original cast improved by a country mile once Kai came along, and the passion really comes through
• Poor casting choices that weren't fixed until Kai
• Sound mixing is no where near the level of Kai
• The use of corny jokes that didn't help Z's charm in the slightest
• The remastered dub suffers from some redubbed lines and others being left as is making the weaker performances stand out like a sore thumb
• The broadcast dub suffers from poor imitations of the Ocean cast
• Voice acting across the board in Kai is consistently professional and well handled
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Imo Chris Ayers Frieza voice alone makes the Kai Dub infinitely better then the Z dub.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:04 pm

DHM211 wrote:Imo Chris Ayers Frieza voice alone makes the Kai Dub infinitely better then the Z dub.
Agreed. That's one of the best casted English dub voices for any Dragon Ball related. The Z dub screwed up what is, quite literally, one of the franchise's most infamous characters. You screw that up, you're done.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:29 pm

At least they didn't screw up Cell's casting. Although he's no Wakamoto, Clarke did a good job in the Z dub.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:44 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Is this thread really necessary? I think we all know why the Kai dub is better. Better acting, better direction, better scripts...My only gripe is that they didn't recast Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Recoome, Master Roshi, Chi-Chi, 16, King Kai and the Ox-King.
Whats wrong with Jeremy Inman's 16 he's pretty fitting and isn't monotone like in Z.

I also really wish doc morgan could have voiced kaio in addition to the narrator.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:33 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Is this thread really necessary? I think we all know why the Kai dub is better. Better acting, better direction, better scripts...My only gripe is that they didn't recast Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Recoome, Master Roshi, Chi-Chi, 16, King Kai and the Ox-King.
Whats wrong with Jeremy Inman's 16 he's pretty fitting and isn't monotone like in Z.

I also really wish doc morgan could have voiced kaio in addition to the narrator.
There's nothing special about the performance and if you compare it to Midorikawa, it pales in comparison.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:25 pm

I'd hate it if they replaced Roshi's voice. Actually I'm glad they kept most of the voices from the original Dragon Ball characters since the original Dragon Ball is likely never going to get a redub.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:41 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Is this thread really necessary? I think we all know why the Kai dub is better. Better acting, better direction, better scripts...My only gripe is that they didn't recast Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Recoome, , Chi-Chi, 16, King Kai and the Ox-King.
What's wrong with, Tien, Master Roshi, and Chi-Chi? Those voices are actually pretty solid in my opinion.
Caulifla best girl! :)

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:46 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:

There's nothing special about the performance and if you compare it to Midorikawa, it pales in comparison.
He's not bad though just average, voice wise recoome is still bad. There's a difference between average and bad.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Is this thread really necessary? I think we all know why the Kai dub is better. Better acting, better direction, better scripts...My only gripe is that they didn't recast Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Recoome, , Chi-Chi, 16, King Kai and the Ox-King.
What's wrong with, Tien, Master Roshi, and Chi-Chi? Those voices are actually pretty solid in my opinion.
Burgmeier's Tenshinhan has no presence whatsoever compared to Suzuoki, Yamadera and Midorikawa. The guy is fine as Kurama (although he's no Megumi Ogata) but his Tenshinhan is so one-dimensional. Roshi has never had a good voice in English and Cranz doesn't capture what Mayumi Sho does in the role.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: What's wrong with, Tien, Master Roshi, and Chi-Chi? Those voices are actually pretty solid in my opinion.
Tenshinhan's pretty good, I can agree to that. He's no Suzuoki, but he gets the job done in both the DB and Kai dubs. The Turtle Hermit.....eh. The voice is too one dimensional and goofy, only focusing on one part of what is a full character. It doesn't match up in the slightest in scenes like this. Chi Chi's actually really good in almost everything from Kai and onwards. Especially in the Cell arc. Super's the exception. She's a bit raspy, but not even close to the grating bagginess that she was in Z dub.

But yeah, those are my opinions on those casting choices in particular.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: What's wrong with, Tien, Master Roshi, and Chi-Chi? Those voices are actually pretty solid in my opinion.
Tenshinhan's pretty good, I can agree to that. He's no Suzuoki, but he gets the job done in both the DB and Kai dubs. The Turtle Hermit.....eh. The voice is too one dimensional and goofy, only focusing on one part of what is a full character. It doesn't match up in the slightest in scenes like this. Chi Chi's actually really good in almost everything from Kai and onwards. Especially in the Cell arc. Super's the exception. She's a bit raspy, but not even close to the grating bagginess that she was in Z dub.

But yeah, those are my opinions on those casting choices in particular.
I thought you didn't like his voice.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:54 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: I thought you didn't like his voice.
Yeah, it's a bit scratchy, but I'll take it. It's especially apparent after listening to Suzuoki, so I may have went a little bit overboard last time I talked about it. But, it's still a fantastically acted part and the first take on the character that I ever heard, so I've softened up to it a bit.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I thought you didn't like his voice.
Yeah, it's a bit scratchy, but I'll take it. It's especially apparent after listening to Suzuoki, so I may have went a little bit overboard last time I talked about it. But, it's still a fantastically acted part and the first take on the character that I ever heard, so I've softened up to it a bit.
My problem with his voice is that he doesn't sound stern like Suzuoki. I don't know, there isn't really an English Tien voice that resonates with me. Maybe Brendan Hunter will if we get to see the Ocean dub of Kai.