Are the Dub Changes in Kai TFC Dub an Issue?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Are the Dub Changes in Kai TFC Dub an Issue?

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:24 am

I have seen many Fans Complaining about The Liberties FUNimation is taking in TFC like when Vegeta is hugging Kid Trunks last time before sacrificing he says that he never hugged him since he was a baby because he wanted make him a tough boy or Goku after going ssj3 against Boo and Babidi saying that SSJ3 is his favourite form,etc. I personally don't mind these dub changes but what are your thoughts on it is it much of a bother?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Are the Dub Changes in Kai TFC Dub an Issue?

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:12 am

There's been afew slang and one liners that I've already taken out of my cut of the Buu saga that I didn't care for. Such as Goku telling Kaioshin that his buddys will have birds building nests on them like garden gnomes and afew of Vegeta saying "laaame" etc.

As for the line about Trunks, I'll take that over the old dub, where Vegeta says the cringey "you made me proud, my son" in some stereotypical circle of life Lion King fashion.

There's definitely been afew instances where the kai buu dub should of simply kept old accurate lines and just delverd them better.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:20 am

The ones I noticed irked me a little, but not much. They're usually small and not that intrusive, so I can let them slide . The intent of the lines are usually kept at least, which is more than I can say for most of Z's dub changes.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:11 am

MR.Mark wrote:There's been afew slang and one liners that I've already taken out of my cut of the Buu saga that I didn't care for. Such as Goku telling Kaioshin that his buddys will have birds building nests on them like garden gnomes and afew of Vegeta saying "laaame" etc.

As for the line about Trunks, I'll take that over the old dub, where Vegeta says the cringey "you made me proud, my son" in some stereotypical circle of life Lion King fashion.

There's definitely been afew instances where the kai buu dub should of simply kept old accurate lines and just delverd them better.
Does Vegata saying him not hugging trunks as a baby was to make him a Tough boy a big change because in Japanese version he only says he never hugged him as a baby that's it which shows he never cared for it but in TFC Dub they added that line that he wanted to make him a tough boy which is like sugercoating
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:05 pm

I think generally the liberties they take are fine but ones like the "tough boy" line I take issue with because they affect characterization. That dub line takes away the ambiguity present in the original version and creates a facet of Vegeta that Toriyama and the original writers maybe never intended.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:28 am

I'm sure I'll find a way to take that line out of my Buu cut anyway.

veggiechan

Post by veggiechan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:47 pm

I was kind of disappointed with some of those changes, but the majority of the dialogue is better I'd say. I guess I expected less liberties taken when I assume they had more time to work on this dub compared to the cell saga, which they claim was rushed (and it showed). Overall it's a very slight notch below the cell saga dub to me. But again that's because the improvements aren't AS striking from the Z dub in the buu saga compared to the still-crappy cell saga Z dub.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:49 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
As for the line about Trunks, I'll take that over the old dub, where Vegeta says the cringey "you made me proud, my son" in some stereotypical circle of life Lion King fashion..
How is that cringey? I hate that term. It's way too overused to the point where it's sad. Plus it fit the scene fine. Much more than what Kai did with the "to make you a better man"

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:59 pm

I just don't think it's in character, I believe they also made Goku give the "my son" tripe to Gohan before he teleported away with Cell in the old Z dub.

Vegeta telling Trunks to take care of himself before knocking him out is a lot more more effective and subtle in how Vegeta shows affection.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:35 am

The only one that bothered me was Vegeta's WRRRROOOOOONNNNG line.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Yeahhh that line has to go too, I didn't care for it.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:55 am

OLKv3 wrote:The only one that bothered me was Vegeta's WRRRROOOOOONNNNG line.
What are you referring to, exactly? Maybe I haven't gotten that far in The Final Chapters yet.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:00 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
What are you referring to, exactly? Maybe I haven't gotten that far in The Final Chapters yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeqkSQ8 ... e=youtu.be

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:00 am

DHM211 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
what's up with Chris Sabat :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:04 am

DHM211 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
That was hilarious! :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:01 pm

DHM211 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
I couldn't hear him over how bad the re-framing was in that scene. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:14 am

Robo4900 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote: What are you referring to, exactly? Maybe I haven't gotten that far in The Final Chapters yet.
I couldn't hear him over how bad the re-framing was in that scene. :lol:
Well, Z wasn't shot in widescreen, so they should've made 4:3 masters in the first place.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote: What are you referring to, exactly? Maybe I haven't gotten that far in The Final Chapters yet.
That was hilarious! :lol:
wrooooooooooooooong :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:33 am

Ripper 30 wrote:I have seen many Fans Complaining about The Liberties FUNimation is taking in TFC like when Vegeta is hugging Kid Trunks last time before sacrificing he says that he never hugged him since he was a baby because he wanted make him a tough boy or Goku after going ssj3 against Boo and Babidi saying that SSJ3 is his favourite form,etc. I personally don't mind these dub changes but what are your thoughts on it is it much of a bother?
These liberties bother me a bit, because they defeat the purpose of Kai for western audiences. It bugs me when they decide to add in lines like that, only because they think it sounds nicer to hear or funny - rather than staying true enough to let the character development speak for itself regardless. Its even worse when statements are added in that aren't true.

Like we know Vegeta legitimately did not care at all for Bulma and Trunks because in-character he was still believing himself to be evil in both the Android arc, and in the Babidi arc. For all we know, in-character for Bulma she most likely initiated their encounter. In the Babidi arc he explained that he didn't hug Trunks at all until that moment in remorse for being selfish all his life. Not because he planned to make Trunks tougher from the start. It doesn't make sense for him to say that, not also while knowing Future Trunks was not a coward. It has the same problem as the dub speech Vegeta gave when Trunks died from Cell's death beam. He didn't react in response to Trunks, he reacted still in an ignorant frustration that Cell wouldn't die. As much as I may like that speech or even prefer it, the motivation given (that people cite a lot) is wrong too.

For Goku its a little bit more trivial for me, but it holds the same weight. Ironically the Z dub made it more clear that Goku's SS3 was still hard for him to pull out, but he was confident enough to use it anyway. Him saying it was his "favorite" form doesn't make sense, because he didn't master it - in order to claim that. Its brand new and stressful. there is no mention that he thinks it looked cool - Gotenks at most said it looked weird. It sounds more like an external personal opinion from the writer or director.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Seriously? I loved that. It was hilarious. I like Vegeta in this dub better than the original Z dub. His lines are funnier.

"You all will feel tired, like you've just finished running. BUT I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY OF YOUR COMPLAINTS."

"WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG."

I know we all have opinions, but I loved this. I laughed for a good while because of it.