Are the Dub Changes in Kai TFC Dub an Issue?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Are the Dub Changes in Kai TFC Dub an Issue?

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:55 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Vegetto tells Buu that he's "totally owned him" in this fight.
What is this? 2006? :lol:

It's not too bad though. Vegetto just sounds amazingly well synchronized both in performances and timing.
Considering they make liberal use of sprinkling around 90s slang at the beginning of the arc when Gohan's in high school, I don't think it really clashes that much with anything ELSE in the dub.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:09 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Vegetto tells Buu that he's "totally owned him" in this fight.

It's not too bad though. Vegetto just sounds amazingly well synchronized both in performances and timing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKvsOhCOUrY&t=2m35s

TWOOOOO-EW!!!

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:03 am

The music placement in this feels off to me, it just doesn't quite match the emotion of the scene in my opinion.

I also think the scene is better without Vegetto's internal monologue before being absorbed. The audience doesn't need to be in on the plan, it just undercuts the tension.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:15 am

NitroEX wrote:

The music placement in this feels off to me, it just doesn't quite match the emotion of the scene in my opinion.

I also think the scene is better without Vegetto's internal monologue before being absorbed. The audience doesn't need to be in on the plan, it just undercuts the tension.
The internal monologue is in the manga and Japanese. It's not supposed to be tense, you're supposed to know Vegetto is planning something. It's supposed to be a reveal that he isn't just being an arrogant dick

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:24 am

OLKv3 wrote:
NitroEX wrote:

The internal monologue is in the manga and Japanese. It's not supposed to be tense, you're supposed to know Vegetto is planning something. It's supposed to be a reveal that he isn't just being an arrogant dick
I'm not misunderstanding the scene, I've just never needed to be told Vegetto was planning something, you could tell just based on the way he's drawn. They purposely drew him with a tense/concerned expression and sweat drop for a reason. The original dub script confused things slightly by having him say "blast it!" while being absorbed but by reading the visuals you can tell the original intent of the scene wasn't for him to be caught off guard (only for him to appear that way to Buu).

It might be more faithful but I've never needed that part spelled out for me, that's all I'm saying. As a creative decision, I think it works better without it. I might suspect Vegetto knows what's going on and has a plan in his head, but it keeps you on the edge of your seat if you go into the scene not knowing what exactly he's about to do until he does it. If he lays out the plan before it happens, as a viewer I'm less invested because I'm just waiting for what he's just told me to happen. There's no longer a need to be worried at that point.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:56 am

NitroEX wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
NitroEX wrote: The music placement in this feels off to me, it just doesn't quite match the emotion of the scene in my opinion.

I'm not misunderstanding the scene, I've just never needed to be told Vegetto was planning something, you could tell just based on the way he's drawn. They purposely drew him with a tense/concerned expression and sweat drop for a reason. The original dub script confused things slightly by having him say "blast it!" while being absorbed but by reading the visuals you can tell the original intent of the scene wasn't for him to be caught off guard (only for him to appear that way to Buu).

It might be more faithful but I've never needed that part spelled out for me, that's all I'm saying. As a creative decision, I think it works better without it. I might suspect Vegetto knows what's going on and has a plan in his head, but it keeps you on the edge of your seat if you go into the scene not knowing what exactly he's about to do until he does it. If he lays out the plan before it happens, as a viewer I'm less invested because I'm just waiting for what he's just told me to happen. There's no longer a need to be worried at that point.
Actually the dialogues show how strategic and smart Vegetto is and doing this all intentionally.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:52 am

Ripper 30 wrote: Actually the dialogues show how strategic and smart Vegetto is and doing this all intentionally.
Vegetto makes that plainly obvious once he's inside Buu, he even explains his barrier. You don't need him to reveal his plan before and after being absorbed, it just kills the suspense for a new viewer. Having an element of unpredictability creates better drama, being spoonfed all the answers just makes it more boring. Also, my previous post states that I think the visuals and art do enough to clue in the audience that he has a plan before being absorbed, why would he be sweating and looking concerned otherwise? He was about to kill Buu and had no need to worry so you knew something was up. Once he's inside that should be the payoff and moment of relief for a viewer. It's at that point your suspicion is confirmed that he really is strategic and smart, not before.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:10 am

As far as the Buu saga goes with how it brought back more of Dragon Ball's earlier humor as it clashes with Z's drama, I'd say the more quirky (for lack of a better term) dialogue like Trunks' slang is honestly befitting for this very mixed arc. When appropriate in the moment. It also helps that the actors are more seasoned and give far better performances than way, way back in the day.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:34 am

The only that has bothered me is Goku's "Sayin Saiyan" joke. Schemmel's delivery of it was great but I'm just not a fan of the "Sayin Saiyan" meme.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:14 pm

matt0044 wrote:As far as the Buu saga goes with how it brought back more of Dragon Ball's earlier humor as it clashes with Z's drama, [...] this very mixed arc
Speaking as someone who's always preferred the original series to Z and Kai, I've always loved the Boo arc to be honest. It keeps the more action-heavy, dramatic nature of Z, but mixes in a lot more of the quirkiness, and more stuff from the secondary characters that the original series was generally more about. Granted, the Boo arc probably isn't as good as the Namek, Cell, or Piccolo Daimao arcs, but in my opinion, it's about on-level with the Saiyan arc.
matt0044 wrote:I'd say the more quirky (for lack of a better term) dialogue like Trunks' slang is honestly befitting for this very mixed arc. When appropriate in the moment. It also helps that the actors are more seasoned and give far better performances than way, way back in the day.
To be fair though, Vegetto saying "Pwned" makes it sound like this is a fandub from 2007. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:35 am

Robo4900 wrote:To be fair though, Vegetto saying "Pwned" makes it sound like this is a fandub from 2007. :lol:
Eh, I'll allow it if only because of how the fusion is meant to be sorta arrogant in a "F**k yeah, let's throw down, b*tch!" Though I swear the word was "owned" which has yet to be totally outdated.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:10 pm

matt0044 wrote:I swear the word was "owned" which has yet to be totally outdated.
I believe all the kids these days say "rekt" instead of owned/pwned. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:13 pm

matt0044 wrote:Though I swear the word was "owned" which has yet to be totally outdated.
It's pronounced as "Owned", but it's spelled "Pwned" or "Pwn'd".

I think saying pwn, pwnage, pwn'd, or whatever works on various levels of irony(Or if you're Jeremy from Pure Pwnage), but I don't think the usage here works at all. Honestly, I think it's worse than modo cool was. At least the whole original dub was a constant stream of cheese that you could enjoy for how silly it was; this is supposed to be a serious(As far as Dragon Ball goes), accurate dub, so lines like this stick out like a sore thumb.

Of course, it's possible this is supposed to be a period piece set in the mid-2000s, which would explain why Videl is the only one with a mobile phone. :lol:
Actually, that makes more sense than it has any right to. :?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
matt0044 wrote:I swear the word was "owned" which has yet to be totally outdated.
Some kids still say owned/pwned, I believe.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Wow.

I popped in Kai and it happened to be the episode where Vegeta was coming back after stealing Dr. Brief's ship. I think that in that particular scene when they're sitting around discussing Vegeta before he actually comes back, took a lot of liberties. I feel like the redub of Kai wasn't really 100% accurate and took a lot of liberties as well, but people never seemed to care. For one thing, I feel like I knew all of the lines from the previous dub, they were just reworked or something.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:39 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Wow.

I popped in Kai and it happened to be the episode where Vegeta was coming back after stealing Dr. Brief's ship. I think that in that particular scene when they're sitting around discussing Vegeta before he actually comes back, took a lot of liberties. I feel like the redub of Kai wasn't really 100% accurate and took a lot of liberties as well, but people never seemed to care. For one thing, I feel like I knew all of the lines from the previous dub, they were just reworked or something.
Well, as far as a comparisons to the old Z dub goes, DBZ Kai is given a more faithful dub without any weird changes to the story or characters at large but it isn't a total one-to-one translation so much as it's adapted to make it sound more natural to an English speaker's native. Honestly, it's how Dragon Ball should've been dubbed from the get-go. You also got performances that show major improvements that also sweetens the deal.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:37 am

Are the lines where Piccolo call's Gotenks "Gohan" and the Super Buu Kamikaze Ghosts mistakenly call Masenko "Galick Gun" fixed?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:39 am

Tobi555 wrote:Are the lines where Piccolo call's Gotenks "Gohan" and the Super Buu Kamikaze Ghosts mistakenly call Masenko "Galick Gun" fixed?
What parts of the story do those occur? I can check for you!

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 am

KBABZ wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:Are the lines where Piccolo call's Gotenks "Gohan" and the Super Buu Kamikaze Ghosts mistakenly call Masenko "Galick Gun" fixed?
What parts of the story do those occur? I can check for you!
For Piccolo it's when they're in the Time Chamber, I believe after buu leaves. The other one is when Vegito is chased by Super Buu's Ghosts.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:41 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Some kids still say owned/pwned, I believe.
In the recent DBS episode Copy Vegeta said "kick your ass" so they're at least moving up now :P