What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:03 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Masako Nozawa, Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock - EG Daily, Mona Marshall (duh)/Janyse Jaud

Janyse Jaud would sound so awkward as Goku. How did you come to the conclusion that she would sound good as him? It is because you think they need to sound like their Japanese counterparts?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about any voice actors or voice acting in general, but, for Goku I'd probably pick someone who has a sort of boyish softness to his voice. I could see Jeff Nimoy (aka Nicholas D. Wolfwood of from Trigun.) or one of the Ocean guys with the right direction. Just as long as I get to keep Chris Ayres as Freeza. Because he is Golden (pun intended)
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:41 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Masako Nozawa, Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock - EG Daily, Mona Marshall (duh)/Janyse Jaud

Janyse Jaud would sound so awkward as Goku. How did you come to the conclusion that she would sound good as him? It is because you think they need to sound like their Japanese counterparts?

Saffron Henderson would sound very close to Nozawa as she did in the Pioneer movie dubs. I chose Janyse because she's similar, but deeper, so less of the scratchiness that Nozawa has.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:42 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Saffron Henderson would sound very close to Nozawa as she did in the Pioneer movie dubs. I chose Janyse because she's similar, but deeper, so less of the scratchiness that Nozawa has.
If Janyse Jaud ever voiced Adult Goku in that so-called "proper" dub, I'm quite sure that most people would never become fans of the series. A woman voicing Goku may work in Japanese, but it would never work in English.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:38 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Saffron Henderson would sound very close to Nozawa as she did in the Pioneer movie dubs. I chose Janyse because she's similar, but deeper, so less of the scratchiness that Nozawa has.
If Janyse Jaud ever voiced Adult Goku in that so-called "proper" dub, I'm quite sure that most people would never become fans of the series. A woman voicing Goku may work in Japanese, but it would never work in English.
I agree with the first statement, & while I don't necessarily agree with the second, it's a cultural thing & deserves its own topic. I personally had an issue with finding a childish-sounding guy in the Vancouver talent pool, as I don't really watch cartoons or play games, I just like listening to VA's & voice clips. There are about five guys maybe, that could do Goku in that talent pool: Richard Cox, Matt Hill, Samuel Vincent, Brad Swaile, & I think that's really it.

In terms of LA, I was thinking Greg Cipes, just watch interviews of him & listen to his voice, & you'll see why. For a meager budget, I agree with Nitro & Phantom that Joshua Seth would be really good.

What's funny is that there are endless abysses of threads dedicated to either bashing or nostalgifying the old dub (or appreciating the recent improvements)...yet there are very, very few threads on this site which promote more integration of the show into more audiences & worldwide success. It's like no one cares about this show's dub aside from as a "historical artifact".

I appreciate several of the Japanese actors' performances...but it's not like I wish for this show to stay "foreign w/third-party licensing". I mean that's what ends up happening anyway, but it's the spirit of the forum that occasionally annoys me (although it's a damn sight better than YT comments, that's for sure).

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:57 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I don't agree with an English Goku being voiced by a girl. It just wouldn't work as well
I agree. Nozawa is a really special case, it'd be hard for another female Japanese VA to replicate her let alone English.
I definitely agree with this. She has a very unique voice, and as Goku, it's not at all what one would consider "effeminate". Just casting any female as (adult) Goku is missing the point of what makes Nozawa so good in the role.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:03 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:I agree with the first statement, & while I don't necessarily agree with the second, it's a cultural thing & deserves its own topic. I personally had an issue with finding a childish-sounding guy in the Vancouver talent pool, as I don't really watch cartoons or play games, I just like listening to VA's & voice clips. There are about five guys maybe, that could do Goku in that talent pool: Richard Cox, Matt Hill, Samuel Vincent, Brad Swaile, & I think that's really it.

In terms of LA, I was thinking Greg Cipes, just watch interviews of him & listen to his voice, & you'll see why. For a meager budget, I agree with Nitro & Phantom that Joshua Seth would be really good.

What's funny is that there are endless abysses of threads dedicated to either bashing or nostalgifying the old dub (or appreciating the recent improvements)...yet there are very, very few threads on this site which promote more integration of the show into more audiences & worldwide success. It's like no one cares about this show's dub aside from as a "historical artifact".

I appreciate several of the Japanese actors' performances...but it's not like I wish for this show to stay "foreign w/third-party licensing". I mean that's what ends up happening anyway, but it's the spirit of the forum that occasionally annoys me (although it's a damn sight better than YT comments, that's for sure).
I think that you could appreciate voice acting more if you actually watched cartoons and more and played video games.

However, I don't understand some of your choices for some characters. I know that you think that the dub voice actors need to sound like the Japanese voices. But I don't understand how you think Klassen sounds like Furuya's Yamcha or how Hamill or Perlman give you vibes of Wakamoto's Cell. Hamill would be much a better choice for Frieza, while Corey Burton is better suited for Cell.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:50 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:I agree with the first statement, & while I don't necessarily agree with the second, it's a cultural thing & deserves its own topic. I personally had an issue with finding a childish-sounding guy in the Vancouver talent pool, as I don't really watch cartoons or play games, I just like listening to VA's & voice clips. There are about five guys maybe, that could do Goku in that talent pool: Richard Cox, Matt Hill, Samuel Vincent, Brad Swaile, & I think that's really it.

I think that you could appreciate voice acting more if you actually watched cartoons and more and played video games.

However, I don't understand some of your choices for some characters. I know that you think that the dub voice actors need to sound like the Japanese voices. But I don't understand how you think Klassen sounds like Furuya's Yamcha or how Hamill or Perlman give you vibes of Wakamoto's Cell. Hamill would be much a better choice for Frieza, while Corey Burton is better suited for Cell.
Old post I know, but i think for Klassen as Yamcha I may have just looked up Klassen's dubbed actors & Furuya mayve been there. He's wrong for Yamcha tho. You're right about Hamill as Freeza, altho I'd prefer him as Piccolo Daimao, in part because Takeshi Aono dubbed the Joker (& astoundingly well!), & it just seems like a solid casting considering Fire Lord Ozai. As for Ron Perlman, I often feel he reminds me much of an English Wakamoto with pretty similar characters & voice. I also think maybe Keith David would be an option.

Ryūzaburo Otomo (who dubbed Clancy in Shawshank), Kenji Utsumi & especially Daisuke Gori's roles could be shared between KMR, Alan Reed, & Clancy Brown (& later John DiMaggio & Fred Tatasciore). Clancy Brown as Dabra & KMR or maybe Peter Cullen as Shenlong would be solid, tho I'm not sure who would dub all the other deep-voiced characters. If this an early-mid-90's dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:15 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

Old post I know, but i think for Klassen as Yamcha I may have just looked up Klassen's dubbed actors & Furuya mayve been there. He's wrong for Yamcha tho. You're right about Hamill as Freeza, altho I'd prefer him as Piccolo Daimao, in part because Takeshi Aono dubbed the Joker (& astoundingly well!), & it just seems like a solid casting considering Fire Lord Ozai. As for Ron Perlman, I often feel he reminds me much of an English Wakamoto with pretty similar characters & voice. I also think maybe Keith David would be an option.

Ryūzaburo Otomo (who dubbed Clancy in Shawshank), Kenji Utsumi & especially Daisuke Gori's roles could be shared between KMR, Alan Reed, & Clancy Brown (& later John DiMaggio & Fred Tatasciore). Clancy Brown as Dabra & KMR or maybe Peter Cullen as Shenlong would be solid, tho I'm not sure who would dub all the other deep-voiced characters. If this an early-mid-90's dub.

Arthur Burghardt would be a great choice for Dabura in my opinion.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Here's a fun little list of possible voices:

Vegeta - David Hayter
He's got that gruff, rough, attitudinal quality.

Any female character - Tara Strong
I love Tara Strong's female voices. Her kid voices are a little too cartoony, but she has a very sultry voice when she's doing females.

Goku - Rino Romano
I think he's got a naturally-sounding light and fluffy voice that I can see with Goku.

Whatever, this is all subjective. These could all be terrible choices for Dragon Ball in particular. I've listened to a U.S. version that sounds so forced and cartoony for so long, that it's hard assigning natural-sounding voice actors to the roles.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:08 pm

I think Kevin Conroy would be great as Piccolo.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:21 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:What about Kevin Conroy as Piccolo? I think he'd be great.
As epic as I think Kevin Conroy is, it's so hard to picture him as someone besides Batman. I mean each time I'd hear Piccolo, I'd just want to see Batman kicking some ass lol

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:36 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Goku - Rino Romano
I think he's got a naturally-sounding light and fluffy voice that I can see with Goku.
I think he could work well as Goku, since he had a lot of energy as Spider-Man.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:49 pm

I still sincerely believe "proper" is a very derogatory term to use for this discussion. For me the Funimation cast work so hard they have been forgiven for their early days. Even pretending the dub was done to a high standard from the beginning I think it wouldn't dissimilar from the Kai, Battle of Gods, Resurrection F and Pioneer trilogy movie dubs, as all of them represent the ideal standard all Dragon Ball dubs should follow.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:04 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Here's a fun little list of possible voices:

Vegeta - David Hayter

I love Tara Strong's female voices. Her kid voices are a little too cartoony, but she has a very sultry voice when she's doing females.

Goku - Rino Romano

Whatever, this is all subjective. These could all be terrible choices for Dragon Ball in particular. I've listened to a U.S. version that sounds so forced and cartoony for so long, that it's hard assigning natural-sounding voice actors to the roles.
I find that Rino Romano as Yamcha would be much better (especially considering Toru Furuya voiced Tuxedo Mask, which Rino dubbed way back), but Hayter as Vegeta is an incredibly solid (totally unintended pun) idea, he's got a good voice close to Horikawa's "angry short guy" voice. Tara as maybe Videl would be good.

It is subjective, although I wish this idea were more discussed. I mean we complain about the dub so much, but rarely seem to offer proper alternatives. This, coming from the "#1 educated, Japanese-oriented Dragon Ball" resource. Yare yare daze...

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:08 am

Vegeta - David Hayter

Goku - Rino Romano

I find that Rino Romano as Yamcha would be much better (especially considering Toru Furuya voiced Tuxedo Mask, which Rino dubbed way back), but Hayter as Vegeta is an incredibly solid (totally unintended pun) idea, he's got a good voice close to Horikawa's "angry short guy" voice. Tara as maybe Videl would be good.

It is subjective, although I wish this sort of thing were more discussed. I mean we complain about the dub so much, but rarely seem to offer proper, positive alternatives (besides, y'know, "pssh, you're a grown-up watching a kids' cartoon. Watch it the way it's s'posed to be"). (& yeah, we praise the newer dubs, but only because the old dub - which was successful for being an alteration - was so successful, & some fans will *only* watch the DBZ dub - & only DBZ's dub. If it'd been a typical release, the dub wouldnt be so nostalgia'd for.) This, coming from the "#1 educated, Japanese-oriented Dragon Ball" resource. Yare yare daze...

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:31 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

Vegeta - David Hayter

Goku - Rino Romano

It is subjective, although I wish this sort of thing were more discussed. I mean we complain about the dub so much, but rarely seem to offer proper, positive alternatives (besides, y'know, "pssh, you're a grown-up watching a kids' cartoon. Watch it the way it's s'posed to be"). (& yeah, we praise the newer dubs, but only because the old dub - which was successful for being an alteration - was so successful, & some fans will *only* watch the DBZ dub - & only DBZ's dub. If it'd been a typical release, the dub wouldnt be so nostalgia'd for.) This, coming from the "#1 educated, Japanese-oriented Dragon Ball" resource. Yare yare daze...
Don't be ridiculous, the newer dubs aren't praised because the old dub was successful. They're praised for their quality. And what are you trying to say with typical release? Are you saying that if the dub had never aired on TV, fans wouldn't have nostalgia for it?

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:07 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

Vegeta - David Hayter

Goku - Rino Romano

Don't be ridiculous, the newer dubs aren't praised because the old dub was successful. They're praised for their quality. And what are you trying to say with typical release? Are you saying that if the dub had never aired on TV, fans wouldn't have nostalgia for it?
This is a discussion reserved for another thread. Namely, this one: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35985

The dub is often praised by fans who don't know much about or follow any dubs at all. It's definitely seen as an "exception" dub for some people, because they grew up on the old DBZ dub, & a lot of people on this site, appreciate the Kai+ dubs because they allow for those DBZ-dub-only fans to transition to a more accurate version of the show. Keeping the old main cast (& possibly, several old dub terms) allows that, & Kanzenshuu is grateful for that. I'd love to speak further on the topic of their budget compared to the usual "good dubs", but that's a different issue & I want to keep this thread on-topic.

I left something more in-depth (& definitely angrier, lol) on the proper thread.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:40 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

Alan Reed died in the 1970's.

I dunno, I see Perlman fitting Bojack more than Cell. I can't really see Wakamoto fitting some of Perlman and David's roles that well, such as Deathstroke, Spawn or Goliath.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:42 pm

The last post before yours is a year old...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: