Dragon Ball and "Feminism"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball and "Feminism"

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:07 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Have you read the forum rules?
Yes, and there are laws out there in the real world too, but you don't turn a blind eye on bad things infront of you just because something's against the law, do you? Or are you that kind of person?

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:16 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Have you read the forum rules?
Yes, and there are laws out there in the real world too, but you don't turn a blind eye on bad things infront of you just because something's against the law, do you? Or are you that kind of person?
dude.. what are you talking about? just stop.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm mentally ill and I dont look kindly on people using their illness to excuse their bad behaviour. I lost a lot of respect for the people who make those claims.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm mentally ill and I dont look kindly on people using their illness to excuse their bad behaviour. I lost a lot of respect for the people who make those claims.
It's not your job to stand in judgement of others.
VegettoEX wrote:There are ways to express opinions, and there are ways to not do so.

I would encourage everyone to re-read the forum rules, which you agreed to (twice!) prior to registration. If the sense of shonen camaraderie is not your style, keep in mind that posting here is a privilege, and not a right.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Ok true. I admit it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm mentally ill and I dont look kindly on people using their illness to excuse their bad behaviour. I lost a lot of respect for the people who make those claims.
Does your mental illness make you go apeshit crazy? Did doctors give you bad medications, which made it even worse? He accepts being banned. That's not the point of this discussion. He only wanted to explain that he has minimal knowledge. This discussion is about hypocrisy, not Kojiro's behaviour. He himself said that he acted like an asshole. Everyone has seen it.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:48 pm

I will apologize then and explain my situation further on a PM.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:Don't forget that if “getting something into the 21st century” means treating women like people, it suggest that they weren't treated like people in 20th or 19th century. I think that it's an insult to many of our ancestors. Those are too sharp words.
Many of our ancestors treated women with respect, so that would make this point true.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Clayton wrote:Yes, I know that mentally ill and less educated people aren't welcome here and I accept it. Kojiro also accepts it - he will never visit the forum again.
Well I hope so, he got banned.
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:Don't forget that if “getting something into the 21st century” means treating women like people, it suggest that they weren't treated like people in 20th or 19th century. I think that it's an insult to many of our ancestors. Those are too sharp words.
Many of our ancestors treated women with respect, so that would make this point true.
Both of these are inaccurate on so many levels
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Clayton wrote:Yes, I know that mentally ill and less educated people aren't welcome here and I accept it. Kojiro also accepts it - he will never visit the forum again.
Well I hope so, he got banned.
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
Both of these are inaccurate on so many levels
Many, many cultures of the past highly regarded their females. Many conflicts have been waged over the love of women. Love of mother's have been very high as well. That's not to say that they have never been mistreated, individually and as a whole. Plenty of governments have had female rulers with full authority, and some have treated women as second class citizens.

I haven't read through all the pages in this topic. But the first page seems to have multiple replies in the line of "they should find something else to read/watch if you are offended by the four female characters out of a hundred characters offends you".

We let that slide because of the era and culture and medium it was released in. The creators are trying to remedy this by adding more female characters. Which isn't helped by the fact that there's only one female fighter who is in a good fighting shape. Either 18 will have to fight them both, or Goku and Vegeta will have to punch a couple of girls in the face.

I think the portrayals of the women we do have is pretty good. Bulma, Chi-Chi, and 18 are strong women, and I'm not just speaking physically. Bulma is brilliant and independent, even if the independence comes mostly from being extremely wealthy. Chi-Chi wants her home life with her family. And unless Ox-King drilled that into her head, which I highly doubt, she came to that conclusion on her own. 18 also seems quite happy with whatever's she doing.

On a more "all media" scope, the fact that every one everywhere is a potential audience, why not have a better representation. Especially, item originating from the US, since we house everyone from everywhere. As for women, I think the issue is that the less reasonable and more extreme/crazy are louder and more visible than the ones who just want things less crappy.

I actually came across some vids by Bob Chipman, aka MovieBob, where he discusses this. The Escapist channels on has all of his The Big Picture editorials from five or six years ago. He did about three or for vids on the subject which got me thinking about the issue from a different angle. He also has a couple of vids on the Marvel comics shakeups on his own channel. I think these are worth a view, even just to see the issues presented from a more "rational" perspective.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063