Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Josh Keaton was the one from Spectacular Spider-Man, right?

I think Christopher Daniel Barnes will always be Spider-Man for me; my connection to the '90s show runs too deep for anything in that show to ever be replaced, but I thought Josh Keaton did a great job. If Spectacular had been given a longer run, I think it would have had the potential to be a better overall experience than the '90s one. But as it is, since the '90s run was able to actually have a full run, and finish its story, I personally prefer it.
8000 Saiyan wrote:This show, along with the PS1 games made me the Spidey fan I am today.
I never played the PS1 game, but yeah, basically this show made me a fan.
TheGreatness25 wrote:Fun Fact: Shuki Levy did the music for Spider-Man The Animated Series... and Dragon Ball Z (the original Ocean run, including "Rock the Dragon").
That guy basically wrote the soundtrack to my childhood... Spider-Man, Dragon Ball, Power Rangers, X-Men, Inspector Gadget, Digimon... The list goes on.

Perhaps we should open a new thread to talk about this. :lol:
You know something, I think both CDB and Keaton could be great voices for adult Gohan.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:53 pm

With the Shuki Levy thing, I was just trying to tie it back up with Dragon Ball lol

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:49 pm

NitroEX wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote: Fun Fact: Shuki Levy did the music for Spider-Man The Animated Series... and Dragon Ball Z (the original Ocean run, including "Rock the Dragon").
I think Shuki Levy gets more credit than he should for DBZ, to be honest.

He's credited in a lot of Saban shows as he seems to have been their main in-house musician but he didn't seem to do as much music for DBZ as you might think. Ron Wasserman (musician on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers & X-Men '92) has stated in this interview that he worked on the early DBZ music in his apartment alone and with no input from Saban, specifically; "It was after I left Saban, and they just go, “Hey do you want to score this thing? We’ll just pay you per episode, you can do it at home and just do whatever you want.” So, I’m sitting with my Mac, I think it was an LC-3 that’s got a disk drive, those hard-floppy drives. I remember I just scored midi, and I had two small speakers. I remember sitting in front of my 27 inch tube television and scoring that thing in the living room of the apartment I was living in at the time, and just getting these massive, dark, ethereal, building sounds. I would deliver it and they would go like, “Cool, we’ll have another one for you in a week.” I mean there was never a single note, I don’t think they ever watched anything I did, I think they just mixed it and delivered it. I never even knew the show was big until a couple years ago. I loved the show and when it got yanked from Saban, I asked Funimation if I could still score the show, but no response. Nothing. That was a shame, but I had a blast! That crazy ass fighting animation, I loved it!"

He even goes as far as to say "they [Saban] didn’t give a damn about the show" and If you take a look on Levy's website he seems to mostly take credit for intros and opening songs. I suspect the "Rock the Dragon" opening might've been the extent of Levy's involvement in DBZ, to be honest, and that would be as a writer/composer, not the performer. Ron Wasserman and Jeremy Sweet were supposedly the uncredited musicians behind that intro as well.

In regards to the Spider-Man '94 cartoon, Udi Harpaz was the orchestrator/conductor of the music while Levy seems to have only written the music (Udi does not take credit as the composer). If you pay close attention to the of music in Spider-Man it's very close in both style and instrumentation to the Digimon US score, both of those were Udi Harpaz doing the music although, like I said, Levy probably at least wrote the music for Spider-Man but Udi takes full credit for composing the Digimon tracks. The intro for Spider-Man, was performed by Joe Perry who was the lead guitarist and occasional lead singer of Aerosmith. Levy might've written it and the lyrics but I doubt it was any more than that.

Something else worth mentioning is what Ron Wasserman said in this interview about his work on the '92 X-Men cartoon. He says "One of the things Saban did was isolate me. They isolated us intentionally from the network because you talk to them and then they go, “Hey, we have this other show,” which leads to you getting the gig. Saban was incredibly protective, holding on to their property and talent so nobody else would. In my four years of scoring [for ''X-Men'], I never met a single network person or producer outside of the Saban corral." The interviewer even finds this surprising to which Ron replies "I think this might be specific to Saban because I have a friend who scored Baywatch and 90210, and he was going to sets and talking to whoever was directing. That’s how it’s normally done. But Saban, everybody was “work for hires” where they’re taking a majority of your rights. I knew this going in. It was paid college for me, and it gave me a huge break and I wouldn’t have the career without it. But they kept tight reins, like the old studio days, people signed under exclusive contracts and kept on the lot. I left in ‘95. I said, “I’d like a fair deal and a contract.” I had written X-Men, Sweet Valley High, VR Troopers, and of course Power Rangers. They said, “No, your position stays.” So I left."

It seems that this is likely the reason Shuki Levy got as much credit as he did as well as the reason so many “work for hires” went uncredited. Saban didn't want their smaller musicians getting snatched away by rival studios.
8000 Saiyan wrote:I still prefer CDB and Rino Romano to Josh Keaton, whose performance I always found overhyped.

This show, along with the PS1 games made me the Spidey fan I am today.
Rino Romano was also Spider-Man in the Spider-Man: Unlimited cartoon from 1999. That show contained quite a few Ocean voice actors funnily enough, including Brian Drummond as Venom.
That cartoon had such wasted potential.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:40 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:You know something, I think both CDB and Keaton could be great voices for adult Gohan.
I had kind of the reverse thought a few weeks ago; I've always thought Brad Swaile would make a really good voice for Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:You know something, I think both CDB and Keaton could be great voices for adult Gohan.
I had kind of the reverse thought a few weeks ago; I've always thought Brad Swaile would make a really good voice for Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
Personally, I think he'd be a better Harry Osborn. IMO, Sam Vincent would be great as Spidey. He would also be a great fit for The Flash (either as Barry or Wally).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:58 pm

Fair enough. I think the bottom line here is that there needs to be a Spider-Man cartoon with voice actors from Ocean.

I don't remember seeing much of Unlimited, but I imagine Brian Drummond is dream casting for Venom, so having him back would be nice. Scott McNeil could probably do any number of voices(Rhino, Scorpion, Sandman, Tombstone, Kraven...).

I have a feeling going this off-topic is probably not the best idea, particularly given how little news we've had recently. Perhaps we should open another thread to discuss this in before someone closes this thread. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Fair enough. I think the bottom line here is that there needs to be a Spider-Man cartoon with voice actors from Ocean.

I don't remember seeing much of Unlimited, but I imagine Brian Drummond is dream casting for Venom, so having him back would be nice. Scott McNeil could probably do any number of voices(Rhino, Scorpion, Sandman, Tombstone, Kraven...).

I have a feeling going this off-topic is probably not the best idea, particularly given how little news we've had recently. Perhaps we should open another thread to discuss this in before someone closes this thread. :lol:
Maybe we should do that.

noham-el
Not-So-Newbie

Post by noham-el » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:52 am

I dunno for the Netherlands (Do they always broadcast animes?), but on the Dutch side of Belgium, One Piece is right now on air and started since this month on the kids TV channel "KADET", everyday at 11.10PM. The English FUNi Dub, with subtitles in Dutch. Uncut. And that is a pretty rare thing in Flemish Belgium.
Kadet is a relatively recent TV channel (2015), for kids around 8-12 years old, and so broadcast Power Rangers, Pokémon XY/Sun-Moon, some superheroes cartoons and some European cartoons for kids... And Nami who stabs Usopp, at night since some weeks. http://imgur.com/a/3NddX
Kadet is a Medialaan's channel, the same group behind "Kanaal2", the Belgian channel which has aired the Ocean/Westwood dub of Dragon Ball Z (and Samurai X, Gundam Wing by Ocean) in the early 2000.
(this: https://youtu.be/BQo-5cYmswE)

I don't know if this is helpful or anything, but this may be an interesting information, an interesting TV channel to keep an eye, or to contact to request a repeat of Dragon Ball/Z (by Ocean), or for the famous Ocean's Dragon Ball Kai. Or even, for the BangZoom Super Dub. Or for a Dutch-Flemish Dub of Dragon Ball and others cool animes.
"Sorry for my bad english."

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:58 am

noham-el wrote:I dunno for the Netherlands (Do they always broadcast animes?), but on the Dutch side of Belgium, One Piece is right now on air and started since this month on the kids TV channel "KADET", everyday at 11.10PM. The English FUNi Dub, with subtitles in Dutch. Uncut. And that is a pretty rare thing in Flemish Belgium.
Kadet is a relatively recent TV channel (2015), for kids around 8-12 years old, and so broadcast Power Rangers, Pokémon XY/Sun-Moon, some superheroes cartoons and some European cartoons for kids... And Nami who stabs Usopp, at night since some weeks. http://imgur.com/a/3NddX
Kadet is a Medialaan's channel, the same group behind "Kanaal2", the Belgian channel which has aired the Ocean/Westwood dub of Dragon Ball Z (and Samurai X, Gundam Wing by Ocean) in the early 2000.

I don't know if this is helpful or anything, but this may be an interesting information, an interesting TV channel to keep an eye, or to contact to request a repeat of Dragon Ball/Z (by Ocean), or for the famous Ocean's Dragon Ball Kai. Or even, for the BangZoom Super Dub. Or for a Dutch-Flemish Dub of Dragon Ball and others cool animes.
Thanks for this info, it's very interesting. According to someone in the Netherlands who signed the Ocean Kai petition, DBZ Kai didn't air in Holland either. These could all be potential markets for the Ocean dub of Kai to be broadcast in along with Canada (and potentially the UK, if Toonami is relaunched here). The chances of it are still slim, especially if these channels are making deals directly with Toei, who seem to favour Funi's dubs, but it gives me a little bit of hope at least.

For anyone interested: https://customerservice.kadet.be/hc/nl/ ... _id=110529
8000 Saiyan wrote: That cartoon had such wasted potential.
It was a victim of bad timing and too many restrictions. This page goes into further detail about it.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:43 pm

NitroEX wrote:
noham-el wrote:I dunno for the Netherlands (Do they always broadcast animes?), but on the Dutch side of Belgium, One Piece is right now on air and started since this month on the kids TV channel "KADET", everyday at 11.10PM. The English FUNi Dub, with subtitles in Dutch. Uncut. And that is a pretty rare thing in Flemish Belgium.

Thanks for this info, it's very interesting. According to someone in the Netherlands who signed the Ocean Kai petition, DBZ Kai didn't air in Holland either. These could all be potential markets for the Ocean dub of Kai to be broadcast in along with Canada (and potentially the UK, if Toonami is relaunched here). The chances of it are still slim, especially if these channels are making deals directly with Toei, who seem to favour Funi's dubs, but it gives me a little bit of hope at least.

For anyone interested: https://customerservice.kadet.be/hc/nl/ ... _id=110529
8000 Saiyan wrote: That cartoon had such wasted potential.
It was a victim of bad timing and too many restrictions. This page goes into further detail about it.
Wow, they toyed around with the idea of a Spider-Man 2099 cartoon. Rino would be a great choice for him.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 am

(this: https://youtu.be/BQo-5cYmswE)

That's pretty cool for One Piece
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:55 pm

So, what are the moments from the series that you guys are looking forward to see in this dub?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:10 am

If it ever sees the light of day, I'm looking forward to anything with Vegeta. I wanna hear that Brian Drummond lol I would like to see the entire fight against Freeza with the Ocean cast since it would be the first time ever. Vegeta dying, Goku turning Super Saiyan.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:25 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:If it ever sees the light of day, I'm looking forward to anything with Vegeta. I wanna hear that Brian Drummond lol I would like to see the entire fight against Freeza with the Ocean cast since it would be the first time ever. Vegeta dying, Goku turning Super Saiyan.
Personally, I'm looking forward to see how Saffron Henderson pulls off the SSJ2 transformation.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:46 am

Yes, that's a good one. And spoiler alert: Saffron Henderson would knock it out of the ballpark.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:43 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:So, what are the moments from the series that you guys are looking forward to see in this dub?
Anything with McNeil or Drummond really. Granted we did get a bit of the more subtle Drummond Vegeta in the Westwood dub but with better direction we could potentially see his best work as the character yet. In general it will just be nice to see the Saiyan-Namek arc hopefully not butchered by horrendous scripts, the Artificial Human and Cell arcs not being rushed, and a better Buu saga if Ocean ever gets to dub that. Oh, and all the Freeza saga since that and any Goku by Richard Ian Cox would be genuinely new.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:26 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Yes, that's a good one. And spoiler alert: Saffron Henderson would knock it out of the ballpark.
That's assuming they got her back for it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Scsigs wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Yes, that's a good one. And spoiler alert: Saffron Henderson would knock it out of the ballpark.
According to this tweet, it seems they have gotten her back.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SafHen/statu ... 347008?p=v

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Maybe, yeah.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: That's assuming they got her back for it.
Maybe, yeah.
I hope it's true. Henderson doesn't strike me as someone who would lie.