Android 17's powerup makes GREAT Sense

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Android 17's powerup makes GREAT Sense

Post by DSB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:08 pm

One thing that was consistently said by Goku and was implied throughout Z, it was that a person can get stronger as long has he has potential and TAKES ENOUGH REST . Vegeta doesnt bother resting so he doesnt have the better gains that Goku gets by resting for a reasonable time.

But Android 17 doesnt need to rest. He and 18 can fight infinitely because they have infinite stamina and never tire.

Hence, if they dont need rest, 17 can train alone infinitely forever and can get ridiculous gains. Thats consistent with logic.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Android 17's powerup makes GREAT Sense

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:44 pm

But was he ever really the type to train obsessively and dedicate himself to it?

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:17 pm

It makes no sense because for what reason did he need to push himself to fight at that level? He's a park ranger with a family, who stayed out of every fight that could reasonably give him a reason to train to such feats, and personality wise he's an easygoing person, and not at all a martial artist or saiyan.

Frankly, if Seventeen's powerup makes great sense, Why isn't Eighteen at his level or higher?

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Totally agree. I also don't really get Android 17's power up. It would make sense if Goku used SSJ2 or SSJ3 in his fight. But to the point of SSJB? Android 18 could've easily make boosts like that too! And even if Goku was holding back, Android 17 still stopped the attack like nothing. It's strange how Android 17 got to the point of being stronger than a SSJ3. I know that androids can probably get bigger boosts than everyone else, but the way Android 17 was boosted way stronger than what he should've been doesn't seem right to me.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:34 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Frankly, if Seventeen's powerup makes great sense, Why isn't Eighteen at his level or higher?
He trained more and harder, simple as that.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
FoolsGil wrote: Frankly, if Seventeen's powerup makes great sense, Why isn't Eighteen at his level or higher?
But why?

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
But why?
Why not?
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:36 pm

Boo Machine wrote:Why not?
Because:
FoolsGil wrote:He's a park ranger with a family, who stayed out of every fight that could reasonably give him a reason to train to such feats, and personality wise he's an easygoing person, and not at all a martial artist or saiyan.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:45 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Because:
FoolsGil wrote:He's a park ranger with a family, who stayed out of every fight that could reasonably give him a reason to train to such feats, and personality wise he's an easygoing person, and not at all a martial artist or saiyan.
Sure. But I don't see why that means he couldn't have wanted to train at some point. Like the quote says, He is a park ranger with a family. Animals and people I assume he would want to protect from whatever. Expect the unexpected and all that. Since the Cell saga the earth has had a bubble gum monster attack, a Cat god attack, Freeza coming back, Space poachers, and now some overlord that wants to blow up universes.

He may not have known about half of that but,I don't think he is crazy for wanting to be prepared. I'm throwing out maybe's but I don't think the possibility of him wanting to get stronger is all that outlandish. Especially since the last guy he fought was Cell, and he got his ass kicked.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:13 am

Boo Machine wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
Because:
Sure. But I don't see why that means he couldn't have wanted to train at some point. Like the quote says, He is a park ranger with a family. Animals and people I assume he would want to protect from whatever. Expect the unexpected and all that. Since the Cell saga the earth has had a bubble gum monster attack, a Cat god attack, Freeza coming back, Space poachers, and now some overlord that wants to blow up universes.

He may not have known about half of that but,I don't think he is crazy for wanting to be prepared. I'm throwing out maybe's but I don't think the possibility of him wanting to get stronger is all that outlandish. Especially since the last guy he fought was Cell, and he got his ass kicked.
But the strength to take on a SSJGod Blue is too much, too high, even for someone who wants to be better prepared.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:18 am

FoolsGil wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
Because:

But the strength to take on a SSJGod Blue is too much, too high, even for someone who wants to be better prepared.
Sure. That can be argued no problem. I don't, because I am still unsure how strong he is exactly, what with the "You're holding back, no YOU'RE holding back!" thing, But I get the case being made.

But my point was just that it's not too ridiculous for 17 to want to get stronger. Whether he reaches God level or not.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:11 am

During his fight with Piccolo 17 had some diolouge exchanges implying he was rather proud of his power. Seems reasonable that even with a family and a job, he'd keep up with his training.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 am

MR.Mark wrote:During his fight with Piccolo 17 had some diolouge exchanges implying he was rather proud of his power. Seems reasonable that even with a family and a job, he'd keep up with his training.
...Except it wasn't his own power earned from blood, sweat and tears, he was gifted it through Gero's experiments.
This is hardly proof that he would undergo intense training as to warrant a supposed pride like Vegeta would, 17 would pursue a career that would fulfill his interest in making trouble with criminals but there's not much reason for him to desire greater strength when his opponents are normal humans/random aliens with guns. He tends to be a loner so he wouldn't ordinarily spar with anyone of reasonable strength either.
17 is just considerably stronger due to Super's plot convenience, in-universe he just has absurd, rapid potential like Gohan that wasn't touched on before.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:35 am

theherodjl wrote:
...Except it wasn't his own power earned from blood, sweat and tears, he was gifted it through Gero's experiments.
...So are you complaining about his gains in super or 17's character and power to begin with? :wtf:

Freeza never trained at first and was proud of his power too, I'd say 17 has mellowed over time but during his battle with Piccolo he obviously had an ego.

Again, nothing in the past stated 17 or 18 couldn't get massive gains so...

Atleast 17 trained, if you want plot convenience power ups, how about Ultimate Gohan, the room of spirit and time, the elder namek, or high gravity giving you ludicrous gains in days time?

17's power just isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:59 pm

I believe that, after being absorbed by Cell, #17 would have at least enough motivation to train to surpass Cell and later, with a bit of a stretch, maybe majin Boo. The thing, for me, is how? How is/was is training so effective that allowed him to be challenging for a super saiyan blue? All we know is that he trains/lives in an island where the only threat are armies poachers that frankly even RR army arc Goku could beat on his own. I would accept if he got as/almost as strong as Boo but ssj blue just seems too much of a milestone. I can only cope with it by assuming Goku was holding back to motivate 17.

However, if it counts for something, my head canon to explain 17's power increase is that his power core/ki battery (whatever it is) as some sort of defect that allows it to keep storing ki nonstop.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:05 pm

17 and 18 don't get tired, this was even brought up in a recent episode of Super. Imagen the gains 17 could make over 10 years without having to rest.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:09 pm

In the Dragon World it makes perfect sense, as you only have to put on some weights and go running around and plow fields and do construction work to get many times stronger.
Even Whis' so called godly training amounted to little more than carrying around a very heavy object, while trying to run before the floor vanished under you and the occasional plowing of fields and tanking Beerus' blasts. His only teachings, that were new was the holding ki inside, while raising it, which already seems kinda like what Goku already did, when smashing the Ginyu Force.
It seems like Goku and Vegeta managed to improve so much, because they weren't allowed to go Super Saiyan and so had to force their base form to improve, resulting in larger gains after getting with the program. Even they themselves had already realized, that it'd be better to not go SS.
So #17 doing some weight training for 10 years each and every single day would probably be more than enough to raise his level to absurd heights. Clearly that's all you need to get absurdly strong in DB.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:53 pm

I think the fact that 17 is a cyborg (so he still had all of his human potential to unleash via training) plus the statement of him having great potential makes sense that he would be able to reach that level in over a decade.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:47 pm

It's strange -- #17 is capable of persisting without the necessary bodily functions of sleep yet he was capable of dying due to prolonged exposure in the vacuum of Space. Is the lack of oxygenation of his blood and ebullism his Achilles' Heel? I'm surprised he doesn't suffer from memory impairment or hormonal imbalances due to lack of sleep.

I'm going to assume this newfangled "enhanced cellular makeup" condition is what gives #17 such a massive amount of potential growth.