MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/4/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 7/10/17!)

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:53 am

It's true that Goku hasn't had much of a story this arc, but I do actually like Goku and Freeza not having a personal connection. Freeza being defeated by the one Saiyan he missed (not counting Saiyans that were created later such as Tarble) seems fitting.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:30 am

When you think about it, it is pretty amazing, Goku meet Freeza in 1991, and their rivalry keeps to this day, with is why i have huge expectations for Super now, and i hope they wont get rid of Freeza after tournament (If he dies now, he will be gone for good)

My only complain about Goku vs Freeza, is how huge power level gap it become, Freeza can go from 4 millions to 120 millions, it really make Vegeta and others feel puny.

And yes, that energy transfer could be really handy in battle against, for example, Nappa and Vegeta.
Last edited by coola on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:37 am

Do you think Toriyama could've avoided this pitfall if maybe Goku fought the Ginyu Force by himself as a B-story? Maybe expand the team so half of them fight Goku elsewhere and the other half land on Namek to facilitate the Vegeta, Krillin, Gohan alliance?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:26 pm

I think is cool Goku and frieza never had a connection, then again buu also never had a connection with goku
    I find it annoying frieza was holding back and it continues to be a tennis match but I will give credit for toriyama for making that fight exciting unlike the previous match
    Mostly active on discord.

DBZ Macky
    Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:42 pm

This one was probably my favorite episode of DBD. Loved the editing on this one with that black n' white Manga page transforming into one from the full color volumes and all. I'm also amazed I never realized how (lazily) similar Bardock and Vegeta really turned out to be.

I think I prefer the Anime over the Manga for the end of the Freeza stuff, because as you said, Vegeta really did give up way too easily in the Manga. Even if Japanese Kai wasn't really that good, they still played part of that badass "Saiyan Blood" OST when Vegeta powered up (as did his ego), and when he still loses badly to Freeza, it seems a lot more in-line for Vegeta to finally break down. Freeza killing Dende seemed more like a big deal too, instead of it just being a single (or maybe three at most, I don't exactly remember) panel.

Keep up the good work Lance :thumbup:
    Except, try not to fake us out like that at the end. I really thought we'd finally see SS Goku vs Freeza in the next dissection, lol.
    Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Cipher
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Goku has little connection to the Freeza conflict on a plot-level, and I agree that the ways in which he's kept out of the action during the bulk of the narrative feel a bit sloppy and repetitive.

However, rather than looking at what Goku does for the conflict on Namek, I think a bit is missed for not looking at what the conflict on Namek does for Goku's character arc as it's existed since the arrival of Raditz. Accepting Vegeta's final request and fighting Freeza represents his coming to terms with his Saiyan heritage that he's been struggling with since that revelation (and that, as you pointed out in earlier episodes, has already become the retroactive origin for a number of his more obvious flaws, and will continue to be so through the end of the series' run). The end of the Namek arc completes Goku's current character conflicts, and, as he gives into the competitive urges and ennui that accompany his power as a Super Saiyan, sets up the the ones that will see him through the rest of the series.

Goku may not finish the Namek arc particularly gracefully, but the events of the end of the arc do finish his personal development in a satisfactory way. Viewing the Namek arc on its own, the beginning of this climax may feel unsatisfactory. As part of the larger story of Goku, or as a continuation of the Saiyan arc, it works pretty well, despite a serious drag with Goku's role the Ginyu material in the middle, and the slightly awkward moves it makes to keep taking him out of the action.

Also, yeah! The origin of the weird ki-donation thing that never crops in the series before or afterward, and that Toei loves to abuse in the movies. (Including, hey, the very next film!)

Gaffer Tape
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
    Would you prefer if Vegeta defeated Freeza and the arc ended with a Saiyan Saga rematch?
    Oh, not at all. Like I said, I think Freeza killing Vegeta is the perfect conclusion to Vegeta's character arc here. It drove me crazy when 'F' came out and everyone was saying that Vegeta deserved to kill Freeza this time.
    ekrolo2 wrote:Do you think Toriyama could've avoided this pitfall if maybe Goku fought the Ginyu Force by himself as a B-story? Maybe expand the team so half of them fight Goku elsewhere and the other half land on Namek to facilitate the Vegeta, Krillin, Gohan alliance?
    I don't know. I feel even Gohan and Kuririn could have been handled better both in fighting and in forging connections to the planet Namek and its people. It's not terrible, but it could be better. But Goku needs some kind of connection to Namek, I feel. The way he was first taken out of the story (hospital) felt very organic. I can't complain about that. But it did mean the story really needed to make up for lost time. And rather than do that... Piccolo. And taking Goku out again. So rather than fix the problems, Toriyama just multiplied them. Fighting the Ginyu somewhere else might help a little bit, but I really think he needed to be on Namek and see some of its plight rather than arriving at the point that it's already a dead planet.
    DBZ Macky wrote:Except, try not to fake us out like that at the end. I really thought we'd finally see SS Goku vs Freeza in the next dissection, lol.
    Hey, don't blame me, blame Toei! They're the ones who put their movie there! :P
    Cipher wrote:Another awesome Cipher post
    Well, to be fair, the arc isn't over yet. I haven't said everything I'm going to say about this. And like you've said, I've brushed on it in earlier episodes. So it's definitely an aspect I'm aware of. I just didn't feel like getting into that aspect quite yet.

And as for the ki-sharing thing, that reminds me. Since the movie only came out the week after the chapter where Piccolo does that, and the movie would have had to have been in production for awhile before that, maybe this is another example of the anime staff coming up with the idea first!
    Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
    Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Puto
    I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:26 am

Cipher wrote: Also, yeah! The origin of the weird ki-donation thing that never crops in the series before or afterward
    Goku donates some ki to Freeza at the end of the battle.
    Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Gaffer Tape
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Puto wrote:
    Cipher wrote: Also, yeah! The origin of the weird ki-donation thing that never crops in the series before or afterward
    Yeah... I can't wait to tear that part a new posterior cavity. It makes the Piccolo thing make sense by comparison.
    Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
    Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

RandomGuy96
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Good episode. I agree that the narrator shouldn't just tell you how the characters feel. That makes me feel angry.
    The Monkey King wrote:
    RandomGuy96 wrote:
    dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
    He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
    It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
    Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Gaffer Tape
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:30 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Good episode. I agree that the narrator shouldn't just tell you how the characters feel. That makes me feel angry.
    That robot devil line is one I quote all the time in real life. So it tickles me to see it in this thread. It also tickles me because no one else has commented on my critique of the narration.

Scsigs
    I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:09 am

Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
    Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
    https://twitter.com/Scsigs

matt0044
    Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:42 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
    Puto wrote:
    Yeah... I can't wait to tear that part a new posterior cavity. It makes the Piccolo thing make sense by comparison.
    As far as characterization goes, that moment wasn't OOC for Goku. At least at the time IMO.

Gaffer Tape
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:54 am

matt0044 wrote: As far as characterization goes, that moment wasn't OOC for Goku. At least at the time IMO.
    Oh, no, no. I'm not talking about in a characterization sense. I'm talking about in a "how in the bloody hell can that possibly work and if so, why does anybody die from anything?" sense.

Gray Riders
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:03 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: Oh, no, no. I'm not talking about in a characterization sense. I'm talking about in a "how in the bloody hell can that possibly work and if so, why does anybody die from anything?" sense.
    Will give Ki to Freeza after he cuts himself in half.
    Won't give Ki to Yamcha when he gets impaled.
    #ScumbagGoku

Joking aside, I kind of get the impression Freeza is just ridiculously hard to kill--a human or Saiyan who gets cut in half is gonna die from blood loss/organs falling even with Ki first aid, but Freeza can survive if he's got some energy.

matt0044
    Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
    matt0044 wrote: As far as characterization goes, that moment wasn't OOC for Goku. At least at the time IMO.
    Oh, no, no. I'm not talking about in a characterization sense. I'm talking about in a "how in the bloody hell can that possibly work and if so, why does anybody die from anything?" sense.
    Ah, yeah. Well, in all fairness, with Freeza's cut to ribbons and still living, I hadn't really thought much about that. Not to mention he can survive in the vacuum of space.

Mind you, Ki transfering would be good to help those critically injured in the field but if they're dead before that can happen, well...

Gaffer Tape
    Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/7/17!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 am

DBD: Super Saiyan Son Goku

Perhaps the most brazenly exploitative of all the original films, does movie 4 leave you feeling a little... sluggish?

GTx10
    Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:25 am

The Lord Slug movie is actually one of my favorites and my reasons for that are quite "lackluster." First off I enjoy both the Japanese and Uncut Funi English Dub as well as the Japanese and Funi muscial score. Anyway you slice it I can enjoy this movie in any Uncut format. I also enjoy Chi-Chi getting to kick some butt before she gets her come up'ings.
    The "False Super Saiyan" form while short is cool to look at and Goku's Piccolo powered Kaio-Ken is just wicked awesome. My biggest gripe is the mural during the movie's title sequence. I feel like that would have made for a cool "their is a legend that speaks of a angel with fire wings fighting a giant..." But it's just a cool title card and nothing more...
    "Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

coola
    I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Lord Slug is actually one of my favorite movies too, and i have huge sentiment for it, since it was m first legal DBZ related material i bought in 2003 :) I would really love to see how people reacted to first ever SSJ transformation, and see reaction of same people, who then watched it when it happened in anime :)
    My Twitter: @kamil198811
    Bulma fan
    Thanks to Discotek:
    Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
    Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

DanielSSJ
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:14 pm

The most interesting thing about this movie is how Toei uses it to try to market itself a Super Saiyan before the real deal shows up in the manga. Other than that, it's just a bland, boring Dragon Ball Z movie. Though Piccolo ripping out his ears is freaking metal.
    My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)