Inconsistencies with the US English Dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Inconsistencies with the US English Dub

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:18 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:It's a pity they didn't replace Kaio, Ox-King, Master Roshi, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, King Kai, Majin Buu and Chi-Chi though.
I don't agree with any of these. I can see why you'd say that for a few of them, but not the rest.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:40 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:It's a pity they didn't replace Kaio, Ox-King, Master Roshi, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, King Kai, Majin Buu and Chi-Chi though.
I don't agree with any of these. I can see why you'd say that for a few of them, but not the rest.
I have a hard time to take Kaio, Ox-King and Master Roshi seriously with those voices. Funnily enough, Kaio's voice in the Ocean dub was the same voice that Schemmel has been imitating since 1999, yet I could take Brown's Kaio seriously. Majin Buu is intolerable to listen to. Burgmeier's Tenshinhan just lacks the authoritative tone that Suzuoki and Midorikawa have. I still get surfer vibes from Sabat's Yamcha. Cranz's Chi-Chi lacks Sho's nuance.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:43 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
I have a hard time to take Kaio, Ox-King and Master Roshi seriously with those voices. Funnily enough, Kaio's voice in the Ocean dub was the same voice that Schemmel has been imitating since 1999, yet I could take Brown's Kaio seriously. Majin Buu is intolerable to listen to. Burgmeier's Tenshinhan just lacks the authoritative tone that Suzuoki and Midorikawa have. I still get surfer vibes from Sabat's Yamcha. Cranz's Chi-Chi lacks Sho's nuance.
And yet, it's their takes on the characters & they've been voicing them for years. There's no way they would've recasted the, especially since the actors are still alive & acting.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I don't agree with any of these. I can see why you'd say that for a few of them, but not the rest.
And yet, it's their takes on the characters & they've been voicing them for years. There's no way they would've recasted the, especially since the actors are still alive & acting.
It makes no difference. Nadolny and Vollmer had been voicing those characters for years and they still got replaced. Same thing happens with characters from other franchises.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:59 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I have a hard time to take Kaio, Ox-King and Master Roshi seriously with those voices. Funnily enough, Kaio's voice in the Ocean dub was the same voice that Schemmel has been imitating since 1999, yet I could take Brown's Kaio seriously. Majin Buu is intolerable to listen to. Burgmeier's Tenshinhan just lacks the authoritative tone that Suzuoki and Midorikawa have. I still get surfer vibes from Sabat's Yamcha. Cranz's Chi-Chi lacks Sho's nuance.
It makes no difference. Nadolny and Volmer had been voicing those characters for years and they still got replaced. Same thing happens with characters from other franchises.
Nadolny & Volmer haven't worked for FUNi for YEARS, though. Volmer moved out f Texas to do live action acting & Nadolny didn't return due to apparent personal differences with Sabat regarding Gohan. They tried having as many main & secondary cast members come back as they could. Hell, we'd still be stuck with Linda Young as Frieza if she could talk better, as evidenced from what Sabat & Schemmel have stated. There's no way they would've recasted every character you bring up, regardless of how you feel. Every actor has voiced the characters they have out of those ones since the show moved its dubbing to Texas & that's how it's gonna stay for the foreseeable future. And even if a lot of other people want recastings, which not a lot of people really do, to no bring those people back would've just not been right. Better get used to them, bud.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:28 am

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: And yet, it's their takes on the characters & they've been voicing them for years. There's no way they would've recasted the, especially since the actors are still alive & acting.
It makes no difference. Nadolny and Volmer had been voicing those characters for years and they still got replaced. Same thing happens with characters from other franchises.
Nadolny & Volmer haven't worked for FUNi for YEARS, though. Volmer moved out f Texas to do live action acting & Nadolny didn't return due to apparent personal differences with Sabat regarding Gohan. They tried having as many main & secondary cast members come back as they could. Hell, we'd still be stuck with Linda Young as Frieza if she could talk better, as evidenced from what Sabat & Schemmel have stated. There's no way they would've recasted every character you bring up, regardless of how you feel. Every actor has voiced the characters they have out of those ones since the show moved its dubbing to Texas & that's how it's gonna stay for the foreseeable future. And even if a lot of other people want recastings, which not a lot of people really do, to no bring those people back would've just not been right. Better get used to them, bud.
Fine then.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:49 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: It makes no difference. Nadolny and Volmer had been voicing those characters for years and they still got replaced. Same thing happens with characters from other franchises.
Nadolny & Volmer haven't worked for FUNi for YEARS, though. Volmer moved out of Texas to do live action acting & Nadolny didn't return due to apparent personal differences with Sabat regarding Gohan. They tried having as many main & secondary cast members come back as they could. Hell, we'd still be stuck with Linda Young as Frieza if she could talk faster, as evidenced from what Sabat & Schemmel have stated. There's no way they would've recasted every character you bring up, regardless of how you feel. Every actor has voiced the characters they have out of those ones since the show moved its dubbing to Texas & that's how it's gonna stay for the foreseeable future. And even if a lot of other people want recastings, which not a lot of people really do, to no bring those people back would've just not been right. Better get used to them, bud.
Fine then.
I'm just saying, it's probably less frustrating that way.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Nadolny & Volmer haven't worked for FUNi for YEARS, though. Volmer moved out of Texas to do live action acting & Nadolny didn't return due to apparent personal differences with Sabat regarding Gohan. They tried having as many main & secondary cast members come back as they could. Hell, we'd still be stuck with Linda Young as Frieza if she could talk faster, as evidenced from what Sabat & Schemmel have stated. There's no way they would've recasted every character you bring up, regardless of how you feel. Every actor has voiced the characters they have out of those ones since the show moved its dubbing to Texas & that's how it's gonna stay for the foreseeable future. And even if a lot of other people want recastings, which not a lot of people really do, to no bring those people back would've just not been right. Better get used to them, bud.
Fine then.
Maybe I was a little harsh on Cranz.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Fine then.
Maybe I was a little harsh on Cranz.
I think, yeah.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:02 am

I mean, don't just throw you're opinion away. Regardless of whether they ever get recasted or not, you ain't gotta like em or "get used to them" if you don't wanna. And if you don't, then that's fine. I agree with most, if not all, of your picks. Mainly the bigger ones like King Kai and Master Roshi.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:05 am

Bansho64 wrote:
I mean, don't just throw you're opinion away. Regardless of whether they ever get recasted or not, you ain't gotta like em or "get used to them" if you don't wanna. And if you don't, then that's fine. I agree with most, if not all, of your picks. Mainly the bigger ones like King Kai and Master Roshi.
I mean, I can understand some of them, but not all.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Scsigs wrote: I mean, I can understand some of them, but not all.
They aren't really hard to understand. Not agree with, ok. But those choices specifically aren't particularly hard to find why someone might have problems with them.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:19 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Of course I don't have to like them or get used to them. I just have to get used to the fact that they won't likely get replaced by people who could play those roles better.