What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: What'd a proper English cast of Dragon Ball sound like?

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:32 pm

ABED wrote:No, it doesn't hurt anyone, but it still grants that show way too much legitimacy.
For YOU. It ain't factual. If you don't like it, fine. But at this point...there is no point. Whether you like it or not, people are gonna think and wonder. You're basically saying that you don't want others to because you don't like it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
ABED wrote:No, it doesn't hurt anyone, but it still grants that show way too much legitimacy.
For YOU. It ain't factual. If you don't like it, fine. But at this point...there is no point. Whether you like it or not, people are gonna think and wonder. You're basically saying that you don't want others to because you don't like it.
It's not so much about whether I like it, which clearly I don't, and more about how fans treat that series like it's the epitome of quality. If you don't like it, you don't get it. They constantly put the actors in the same category as the official VA's.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:03 pm

ABED wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
It's not so much about whether I like it, which clearly I don't, and more about how fans treat that series like it's the epitome of quality. If you don't like it, you don't get it. They constantly put the actors in the same category as the official VA's.
But, EnergizerConvoy wasn't treating it as if it was the epitome of quality. He simply had a what if regarding the VA's of Cartoon Network, and who would voice who. And he never once refereed to the actual VA's who do Dragon Ball Z Abridged.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:12 pm

But, EnergizerConvoy wasn't treating it as if it was the epitome of quality. He simply had a what if regarding the VA's of Cartoon Network, and who would voice who. And he never once refereed to the actual VA's who do Dragon Ball Z Abridged.
I wasn't talking about him specifically. I know what he was doing, but even doing that much grants that ridiculous show more than it should. Even hypothetically i don't know why any professional voice actor would work on that show, except for a paycheck.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:04 pm

ABED wrote:
I wasn't talking about him specifically. I know what he was doing, but even doing that much grants that ridiculous show more than it should. Even hypothetically i don't know why any professional voice actor would work on that show, except for a paycheck.
Well, that is kind of a big part of being a professional.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:11 am

I'm aware, but this love of TFS is even more annoying than the Barb from Stranger Things phenomenon. How either caught on I'll never understand.

Doesn't the thread question imply that DB doesn't have a proper English cast?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm

ABED wrote:I'm aware, but this love of TFS is even more annoying than the Barb from Stranger Things phenomenon. How either caught on I'll never understand.

Doesn't the thread question imply that DB doesn't have a proper English cast?
It implies, but I disagree with it. Now, most of the Funimation cast does a great job and we should be thankful we're not watching "The Chris Sabat Show" anymore.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:43 pm

I would really like if Some Japanese owned Franchise like Viz would Dub DB Series and how they cast Voices based on Original Voices.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:16 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:I would really like if Some Japanese owned Franchise like Viz would Dub DB Series and how they cast Voices based on Original Voices.
Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:54 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:I would really like if Some Japanese owned Franchise like Viz would Dub DB Series and how they cast Voices based on Original Voices.
I bet if we got a Faithful well acted Dub of DB Series then the fandom wouldn't be as divided as it is now.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:53 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
I bet if we got a Faithful well acted Dub of DB Series then the fandom wouldn't be as divided as it is now.
Maybe...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 am

Few fandoms are undivided. It's fine to be passionate and have disagreements. Hopefully they don't get personal. It's not lost on me that some will find that statement ironic coming from me.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:22 am

ABED wrote:Few fandoms are undivided. It's fine to be passionate and have disagreements. Hopefully they don't get personal. It's not lost on me that some will find that statement ironic coming from me.
It's not only because of dub but so many different dubs like Ocean, FUNi, Blue Waters, etc. and different score for all of them and different voices are the reason we have such a massively divided fandom .

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:33 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
ABED wrote:Few fandoms are undivided. It's fine to be passionate and have disagreements. Hopefully they don't get personal. It's not lost on me that some will find that statement ironic coming from me.
It's not only because of dub but so many different dubs like Ocean, FUNi, Blue Waters, etc. and different score for all of them and different voices are the reason we have such a massively divided fandom .
I get that, but if it's not one thing, it's something else. Plenty of shows don't have different versions, but there are still divisions among the fandom. Shippers are notorious for it.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Dorian Harewood would have been a pretty cool Dabura, by using his Shadow King voice.
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/vid ... adow-King/

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:28 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Masako Nozawa, Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock - EG Daily, Mona Marshall (duh)/Janyse Jaud
I don't know about the other two, but Mona Marshall would be the closest to sounding like Masako Nozawa.
Caulifla best girl! :)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Masako Nozawa, Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock - EG Daily, Mona Marshall (duh)/Janyse Jaud
I don't know about the other two, but Mona Marshall would be the closest to sounding like Masako Nozawa.
Janyse Jaud sounds too sexy for Goku.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:51 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Okay, but what do you think about Mona Marshall voicing him?
Caulifla best girl! :)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: I don't know about the other two, but Mona Marshall would be the closest to sounding like Masako Nozawa.
Okay, but what do you think about Mona Marshall voicing him?
It'd be cool. She'd fit Kid Goku like a glove. Adult Goku? I'd go with Michael Sinterniklaas.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Decided to do a different Bang Zoom dub cast than the one we got for Super.
Goku: Michael Sinterniklaas
Kid Gohan: Kate Higgins
Adult Gohan: Johnny Yong Bosch
Kid Goten: Colleen O'Shaughnessey
Vegeta: Crispin Freeman
Piccolo: Steve Blum
Trunks: Yuri Lowenthal
Krillin: Jason Spisak
Tenshinhan: Troy Baker
Yamcha: Quinton Flynn

Bulma: Kari Wahlgren
Chi-Chi: Michelle Ruff
Princess Snake: Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

Nappa: Bob Joles
Raditz: Patrick Seitz
Bardock: Roger Craig Smith

Frieza: Keith Silverstein
King Cold: Steve Bulen

Zarbon: Liam O'Brien
Dodoria: Kirk Thornton

Captain Ginyu: Michael McConnohie
Jeice: Michael Lindsay
Burter: Daran Norris
Recoome: Fred Tatasciore
Guldo: Tony Oliver

Cell: Jamieson Price
Android 16: Travis Willingham
Android 17: Robbie Daymond
Android 18: Karen Strassman
Dr. Gero: William Frederick Knight

Mr. Satan: Richard Epcar
Videl: Danielle Judovits

Majin Buu/Super Buu/Kid Buu: Frank Welker (He might not do anime, but I sure would love him to see doing Buu even if he's too expensive to hire for an anime dub.)
Dabura: DC Douglas
Babidi: Steve Blum