GT becoming canon possible avenues

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: GT becoming canon possible avenues

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:27 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:I honestly doubt they're going to tie in GT in any way shape or form realistically.

Not shitting on GT, but Toriyama seemingly never cared for its inclusion on his stories.

This was long before Super basically confirmed GT is not a part of the main stories continuation.

Also I see no point in trying to "remake" GT when they can focus on creating new stories instead.

Only way a GT remake would work is if it's vastly different.

It's a side story.
Why would they keep it alive through merchandise then if they had no intention to revisit it ? they even had it on a timeline a few days or weeks ago.

I don't expect Toriyama to do.

As long as Toriyama's the main writer he won't but when he's done there's no reason for them not to connect everything together.

They remade the last 2 movies so they could do the same with GT.

Of course, I just want the basic concepts of Ssj4, Baby and the shadow dragons to remain, everything else and how those events happen can be different.

For now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:33 am

sintzu wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:I honestly doubt they're going to tie in GT in any way shape or form realistically.

Not shitting on GT, but Toriyama seemingly never cared for its inclusion on his stories.

This was long before Super basically confirmed GT is not a part of the main stories continuation.

Also I see no point in trying to "remake" GT when they can focus on creating new stories instead.

It's a side story.
Why would they keep it alive through merchandise then if they had no intention to revisit it ? they even had it on a timeline a few days or weeks ago.

As long as Toriyama's the main writer he won't but when he's done there's no reason for them not to connect everything together.

Of course, I just want the basic concepts of Ssj4, Baby and the shadow dragons to remain, everything else and how those events happen can be different.

For now.
I am kind of afraid, that after those lackluster and mediocre retellings of movies in Super (but SSJG had better and more epic transformation, hands down), they can even mess up the GT.
If TOEI can't do it, who can?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:18 am

MCDaveG wrote:I am kind of afraid, that after those lackluster and mediocre retellings of movies in Super, they can even mess up the GT.

If TOEI can't do it, who can?
The current arc hasn't been exactly better either.

They could if they'd switch it to a seasonal format. The problem right now is that they have too much to do spread across series, movies, specials, ovas, etc.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:51 pm

sintzu wrote:

It's a side story.

For now.
Right, they had it on a timeline, got any proof for that claim?

Also it's simple why they still use it for merchandise and such, it has fans and makes some money. Same way Heroes makes money, yet has nothing to do with the main stories continuation.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Right, they had it on a timeline, got any proof for that claim?
If you're planning on staying here then you should fix that attitude. And yes, I do have proof.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:33 pm

sintzu wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Right, they had it on a timeline, got any proof for that claim?
If you're planning on staying here then you should fix that attitude. And yes, I do have proof.

Doesn't matter either way if I "stay here" or not to me honestly.
Anyway, your proof is interesting though. Still don't think they're going to connect with GT in the main continuation, but with that image I wouldn't be as surprised if they did connect in some way I suppose.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:41 pm

GT will likely be reimaged if they want to add it into the actual timeline, as there is no mention of SSJ God, or the Gods of destruction in GT.
If they took the plot points of the Bebi and Shadow Dragons ark I'd be okay with it :P
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:42 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Still don't think they're going to connect with GT in the main continuation, but with that image I wouldn't be as surprised if they did connect in some way I suppose.
For all we know the image is just to show when each series takes place and doesn't really mean anything in terms of what's "canon". It's better than nothing though and I guess if anything it means they still admit GT is in some way part of the overall story instead of just completely ignoaring it.
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:GT will likely be reimaged if they want to add it into the actual timeline.
There's $$$ to be made as it's doing really well with merchandise sales so anything's possible. I'd also be OK with just the arcs you mentioned but if they decide to do an arc similar to super 17's where villains come back then it should be at the very end after they have more villains and maybe more heroes.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:33 pm

How would people feel - as unlikely as it is - if Super directly referenced the events of GT as being in Goku's future?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:49 am

I feel like Bandai can still make merchandise for GT and still not have it be apart of the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:19 pm

That timeline image is really cool! I hope Super doesn't directly state that it will continue into GT, but it should leave a possibility. I'd like GT to be connectable in some way to the main series like it used to be.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 pm

I'd love it if they made a remake of GT that fit into the current timeline. The concepts in GT were way more interesting than what Super's been doing so far. Be nice if they got a second chance at being executed at least somewhat well.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:00 am

shadowmaria wrote:How would people feel - as unlikely as it is - if Super directly referenced the events of GT as being in Goku's future?
I could see something like that happening but in a very vague way to not close the doors on potential changes.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:49 am

I had this idea that Whis will ask what Goku can expect from the future whilst Beerus is asleep again, and the Oracle Fish could loosely talk about Planet Vegeta's past coming back to haunt them, or a universal adventure with his granddaughter, or old enemies returning to the fold, or dire overuse of the Dragon Ball's having negative consequences

OR even just showing footage from GT

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:27 pm

sintzu wrote:

To be fair, the line between DBS and DBGT gets a "squiggly" line dividing them, whereas Super and anything prior to that has a solid straight line dividing them, so...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:14 pm

dragonballhero wrote:To be fair, the line between DBS and DBGT gets a "squiggly" line dividing them, whereas Super and anything prior to that has a solid straight line dividing them, so...
There's also a line like that where Z is so it doesn't mean anything.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:39 pm

dragonballhero wrote:
sintzu wrote:

To be fair, the line between DBS and DBGT gets a "squiggly" line dividing them, whereas Super and anything prior to that has a solid straight line dividing them, so...

Sigh ... that ~ is very often on that chart whenever they do a bigger time skip or anything, also the transition of Original to Z. Sometimes it is also a squiggle that seperates two colours on the poster.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:45 pm

sintzu wrote:
When was this released and where?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:52 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:When was this released and where?
Some kind of festival in Japan late August-early September.

danyq94

Post by danyq94 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:02 pm

If ever Toyble will have more freedom in the history of the brand, we could probably see a link between Super and GT.
However, I am very confident. Although they have never said anything, in the end it is always Toei to deal with Super anime. They could make a timeskip within Super that tell stories after GT events. Maybe by dedicating a brief episode of GT, in fact. Then going to new narrative arcs will make various retcons to make sense of the two series together.