As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:37 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Ayres' Frieza sounding British is fine with me. It adds a sense of classiness and regalness to Frieza. I love villains that have British accents.
Yes I never had a Problem with it but still I think Nakao has that More Sinister voice but both Ayres and Nakao are great.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 am

It's a bit odd for me. The short answer is "yes", but I was never into Dragon Ball as a child. I played the Budokai games a lot and they got me into the series. I've never seen Z, dubbed or subbed, but since the Budokai games didn't have Japanese voice tracks for a long time I suppose you could say that's sort of like experiencing Dragon Ball through the dub. (The majority of my Dragon Ball experience is reading the manga, so many things from the anime on both sides are very foreign to me.)

I've seen most of the Kai dub. I watched it on Toonami recently on weekends that I could. Even going back to Budokai 3, you can really tell that the actors have refined their roles over the years. And I don't mean to disrespect the actress, but I really have a hard time going back to the old dub Freeza. I will say that Kai has a lot of anime material in it, and having been told that it supposedly cut out a great deal of filler, I find Dragon Ball Z very hard to fathom.
I'm you. I'm me.
♪I'm-everything-you-wanna-be.♪

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:I have watched Both and also noticed how much improved the FUNimation's Cast sounded but still, Sean's Gokū still wasn't on Nozawa's Level in balancing Gokū's Both happy and angry side.

Infact in Kai 1.0 he hardly puts any manchild into his voice and at times made Gokū sound overly deep and too masculine than required, Sabat's Vegeta was great in Kai as he tried to sound more Natural but still he cannot Top Horikawa's Vegeta in Z Japanese which was much more Smoother and Posh Toned Prince.

Sabat's Piccolo was fine in Kai but all I hear is Sabat's natural voice but just in a Deeper Tone that's it. Ayres's Freeza was great for an English Dub but at times it sounded too British, Kaiō Dub voice was always bad one in Dub same for #19 and Fat Boo English Voice in Kai so that's why I think the Z Japanese is better than Kai Dub.
I don't see how Schemmel's Goku is deep. Masculine? Arguably in the serious scenes but he's not much deeper than Nozawa in those parts.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:23 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:I have watched Both and also noticed how much improved the FUNimation's Cast sounded but still, Sean's Gokū still wasn't on Nozawa's Level in balancing Gokū's Both happy and angry side.

Infact in Kai 1.0 he hardly puts any manchild into his voice and at times made Gokū sound overly deep and too masculine than required, Sabat's Vegeta was great in Kai as he tried to sound more Natural but still he cannot Top Horikawa's Vegeta in Z Japanese which was much more Smoother and Posh Toned Prince.

Sabat's Piccolo was fine in Kai but all I hear is Sabat's natural voice but just in a Deeper Tone that's it. Ayres's Freeza was great for an English Dub but at times it sounded too British, Kaiō Dub voice was always bad one in Dub same for #19 and Fat Boo English Voice in Kai so that's why I think the Z Japanese is better than Kai Dub.
I don't see how Schemmel's Goku is deep. Masculine? Arguably in the serious scenes but he's not much deeper than Nozawa in those parts.
Yes his Gokū is deep and much more deeper than Nozawa and this results in making Gokū sound overly Deep like some Western Super Hero not Gokū.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:42 am

For someone so confident Schemmel's Goku is very deep you still have yet to produce a clip as evidence of this. Yes, its deeper than Nozawa but it's still naturally higher pitched than any other English Gokus aside from Kelamis, and Schemmel has dropped the Superman thing since Kai began.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:44 am

KingofWisdom wrote:I only wish Dragon Ball could get redubbed too.
I dunno, I feel like the 2002 DB Dub worked really well most of the time and the script tended to be more faithful as well. Aside from one moment in the 22nd Tournament (where Goku and Krillin discussing the Announcer's sunglasses is replaced with generic "is he gonna win" banter) and King Piccolo claiming that he's travelled "all over the universe", the main point of contention I have is the 23rd WMAT, specifically Goku realizing that Shen/Hero is "an alien" and Sean's extremely nasally performance of Goku. There is the difference between Tiffany Vollmer and Monica Rial, but I actually like the slight change as I feel that Monica has a more mature edge to her performance that suits the older phase of Bulma's life, while Tiffany's performance suits the younger teenager years.

Oolong is completely unsalvageable, though.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:23 pm

KBABZ wrote:
There is the difference between Tiffany Vollmer and Monica Rial, but I actually like the slight change as I feel that Monica has a more mature edge to her performance that suits the older phase of Bulma's life, while Tiffany's performance suits the younger teenager years.

I think Monica Rial had such good range that she can even do the Teenager Bulma better than Tiffany without a doubt.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:56 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
There is the difference between Tiffany Vollmer and Monica Rial, but I actually like the slight change as I feel that Monica has a more mature edge to her performance that suits the older phase of Bulma's life, while Tiffany's performance suits the younger teenager years.

I think Monica Rial had such good range that she can even do the Teenager Bulma better than Tiffany without a doubt.
That'd be fun to see! And as a continuity nut it'd be cool to see her cover the character from Dragon Ball all the way to Super.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:50 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:its deeper than Nozawa but it's still naturally higher pitched than any other English Gokus aside from Kelamis, and Schemmel has dropped the Superman thing since Kai began.
Not really. Schemmel isn't naturally higher pitched than Corlett or Morrow, I'd say he's about the same pitch as Corlett more or less but he likes to shift his voice into a high pitched falsetto when talking to give the impression that his voice is higher than it actually is. When yelling or shouting there's no doubt that he is deeper voiced than Corlett or Morrow, neither of them could reach that kind of deep range when screaming or shouting because their voices were naturally lighter to begin with. Schemmel's singing voice also displays a somewhat deeper range but it's harder to tell because of the autotune. Overall, in my opinion, Schemmel is slightly deeper.
Ripper 30 wrote: I think Monica Rial had such good range that she can even do the Teenager Bulma better than Tiffany without a doubt.
I can't see it working unless she alters her voice. Monica Rial sounds too mature to fit comfortably as a teenage girl in my opinion, lacks that youthful quality that Wendee Lee (HG), Maggie Blue OHara, Leda Davies and Lalainia Lindbjerg had.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:19 am

NitroEX wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:its deeper than Nozawa but it's still naturally higher pitched than any other English Gokus aside from Kelamis, and Schemmel has dropped the Superman thing since Kai began.
Not really. Schemmel isn't naturally higher pitched than Corlett or Morrow, I'd say he's about the same pitch as Corlett more or less but he likes to shift his voice into a high pitched falsetto when talking to give the impression that his voice is higher than it actually is. When yelling or shouting there's no doubt that he is deeper voiced than Corlett or Morrow, neither of them could reach that kind of deep range when screaming or shouting because their voices were naturally lighter to begin with. Schemmel's singing voice also displays a somewhat deeper range but it's harder to tell because of the autotune. Overall, in my opinion, Schemmel is slightly deeper.
Sean Schemmel sure Improved a lot in Kai and Super dub and yes he is a good screamer now but still there is that "Cool manly Hero" Tone in his voice and he makes Gokū sound like a Cool Western hero whereas Nozawa's goku sounds like an overgrown Manbaby who loves to eat and fight that's it.
so for me Sean is good but not as good as Masako Nozawa. Actually Sean's Voice itself in Z Dub was fine and not too deep but voice acting was Mediocre at best but in Kai Dub onwards I agree the Voice acting was good but the voice got a lot deeper and gruff and at times overly macho and masculine due to Sean's Aging so it sounds more deeper. Specially his serious Goku which sounds too deep than required to sound like.
even in this video where I don't necessarily agree with all his points, him saying that Sean Schemmel has overly deep voice for Gokū isn't actually wrong and another example is the Scene where Gokū goes SSJ near Future Trunks first time and in Japanese Z scene Nozawa deepens the Voice but still he doesn't sound like a Stern Western Superhero but Gokū in serious mode but in Kai Dub of this scene When Sean Deepens the voice its just kind of too deep maybe because Sean has a fairly deeper voice already
Ripper 30 wrote: I think Monica Rial had such good range that she can even do the Teenager Bulma better than Tiffany without a doubt.
NitroEX wrote:I can't see it working unless she alters her voice. Monica Rial sounds too mature to fit comfortably as a teenage girl in my opinion, lacks that youthful quality that Wendee Lee, Maggie Blue OHara, Leda Davies and Lalainia Lindbjerg had.
Wendee Lee was great as Bulma but I don't mind anyone except Tiffany Volmer's scratchy Bulma.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:45 pm

I won't go back to the Z dub now. Kai has become the definitive version of the dub for me.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:08 am

NitroEX wrote:
I can't see it working unless she alters her voice. Monica Rial sounds too mature to fit comfortably as a teenage girl in my opinion, lacks that youthful quality that Wendee Lee (HG), Maggie Blue OHara, Leda Davies and Lalainia Lindbjerg had.
Rial doesn't sound that mature to me, at least in the Kai 1.0 dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:19 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
i don't know why people are relating mature voice with Rial, she got a pretty good range and in the Watamote Dub she did a good job for Tomoko Kuroki and I don't know what mature do people find in her voice, infact in the re-dub of the first Dragon Ball Movie too she did way better job than Volmer and It would be great if they re-dub the whole Dragon Ball Series again.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:35 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
NitroEX wrote: Not really. Schemmel isn't naturally higher pitched than Corlett or Morrow, I'd say he's about the same pitch as Corlett more or less but he likes to shift his voice into a high pitched falsetto when talking to give the impression that his voice is higher than it actually is. When yelling or shouting there's no doubt that he is deeper voiced than Corlett or Morrow, neither of them could reach that kind of deep range when screaming or shouting because their voices were naturally lighter to begin with. Schemmel's singing voice also displays a somewhat deeper range but it's harder to tell because of the autotune. Overall, in my opinion, Schemmel is slightly deeper.

i don't know why people are relating mature voice with Rial, she got a pretty good range and in the Watamote Dub she did a good job for Tomoko Kuroki and I don't know what mature do people find in her voice, infact in the re-dub of the first Dragon Ball Movie too she did way better job than Volmer and It would be great if they re-dub the whole Dragon Ball Series again.
Sure, but Funimation isn't probably going to do redub it.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:10 am

Ripper 30 wrote: i don't know why people are relating mature voice with Rial, she got a pretty good range and in the Watamote Dub she did a good job for Tomoko Kuroki and I don't know what mature do people find in her voice, infact in the re-dub of the first Dragon Ball Movie too she did way better job than Volmer and It would be great if they re-dub the whole Dragon Ball Series again.
Being critical of Monica Rial doesn't automatically mean I'm a fan of Volmer's Bulma, I've never praised that voice.

Monica does sound adequate in that Dragon Ball dub but when she starts shouting you still get the sense it's a mature woman voicing her. She's a good performer but it's not the most ideal voice for a teenage Bulma in my opinion. I mean just listen to how cute and girlish the Japanese version sounds in comparison, there are obviously other options for actresses who can match that a little better in English.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:35 am

NitroEX wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: i don't know why people are relating mature voice with Rial, she got a pretty good range and in the Watamote Dub she did a good job for Tomoko Kuroki and I don't know what mature do people find in her voice, infact in the re-dub of the first Dragon Ball Movie too she did way better job than Volmer and It would be great if they re-dub the whole Dragon Ball Series again.
Being critical of Monica Rial doesn't automatically mean I'm a fan of Volmer's Bulma, I've never praised that voice.

Monica does sound adequate in that Dragon Ball dub but when she starts shouting you still get the sense it's a mature woman voicing her. She's a good performer but it's not the most ideal voice for a teenage Bulma in my opinion. I mean just listen to how cute and girlish the Japanese version sounds in comparison, there are obviously other options for actresses who can match that a little better in English.
Yes I see your point but between Volmer and Rial I would rather have a mature Woman voice than a scratchy annoying voice.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:59 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
NitroEX wrote:

Yes I see your point but between Volmer and Rial I would rather have a mature Woman voice than a scratchy annoying voice.
Yeah, me too. Rial was a breath of fresh air.

Quintex

Post by Quintex » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:Yes his Gokū is deep and much more deeper than Nozawa and this results in making Gokū sound overly Deep like some Western Super Hero not Gokū.
Now I think that's a matter of opinion. Sure, Nozawa is Son Goku's original voice actor, and she's extremely talented. The definitive voice for Son Goku. However, let's not forget the original version of Son Goku is from the manga, and the only voice he has there is what you imagine. Sean's take on the character can't "Not sound like Goku" since how he voices the character in Kai is faithful to the original manga, so you can't just dismiss him for not being Nozawa. In Z's dub, I'd agree that he was a miscast and his line weren't faithful to the manga at all and that he DID sound like a generic western hero, but he and the script have improved immensely over the years. I love Nozawa, but I also think it was a terrible idea to not recast Goku's voice once he became an adult. It's not like Nozawa would have left the show, either because she went on to voice Gohan and Goten. I also think it was a bad idea to have Nozawa voice all these characters at once, she has a lot of range but anyone can tell it's still her. I understand that it's out of the Japanese sense respect for the actress, and I respect that, but it's jarring to me that Goku, Gohan, and Bardock's voices are so similar and feminine. I personally prefer Goku, Gohan, Goten and Bardock to all have their own voice actors, and I love Sean's take on the character.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:11 pm

Quintex wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:Yes his Gokū is deep and much more deeper than Nozawa and this results in making Gokū sound overly Deep like some Western Super Hero not Gokū.
Now I think that's a matter of opinion. Sure, Nozawa is Son Goku's original voice actor, and she's extremely talented. The definitive voice for Son Goku. However, let's not forget the original version of Son Goku is from the manga, and the only voice he has there is what you imagine. Sean's take on the character can't "Not sound like Goku" since how he voices the character in Kai is faithful to the original manga, so you can't just dismiss him for not being Nozawa. In Z's dub, I'd agree that he was a miscast and his line weren't faithful to the manga at all and that he DID sound like a generic western hero, but he and the script have improved immensely over the years. I love Nozawa, but I also think it was a terrible idea to not recast Goku's voice once he became an adult. It's not like Nozawa would have left the show, either because she went on to voice Gohan and Goten. I also think it was a bad idea to have Nozawa voice all these characters at once, she has a lot of range but anyone can tell it's still her. I understand that it's out of the Japanese sense respect for the actress, and I respect that, but it's jarring to me that Goku, Gohan, and Bardock's voices are so similar and feminine. I personally prefer Goku, Gohan, Goten and Bardock to all have their own voice actors, and I love Sean's take on the character.
Nozawa deepened her voice while doing Adult Form of Gokū and she did a fine job for Son Family and also she doesn't even use sane pitch of tone but varies it from character to character and I still don't get it how does she sound feminine to you?

Quintex

Post by Quintex » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:38 am

Ripper 30 wrote:Nozawa deepened her voice while doing Adult Form of Gokū and she did a fine job for Son Family and also she doesn't even use sane pitch of tone but varies it from character to character and I still don't get it how does she sound feminine to you?
Because he doesn't sound like a genuine man when she's voicing him. Neither does Gohan or Bardock. And I would never say she doesn't have a good range or do a good job, she's an amazing voice actress, but her adult Goku sounds like his child self doing a very good impression of an adult. None of her adult characters sound like genuine men, and that's not her fault in the slightest. But for anyone who, japanese or not, read the manga before seeing the anime, I seriously doubt they'd imagine that Goku's voice wouldn't mature the same way any male's voice would. Sean's Goku is a more natural progession in that sense, boy's voices deepen and sound almost completely different once they grow up. And since his lines and understanding of the character have improved so much, what's not to love? I think it's unfair to judge him because his take isn't like Nozawa when the original Goku had no voice to begin with. They're both equally valid.