General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Kanassa » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Alruneia wrote:Congratulations! (~140k and ~220 pages myself.)
How long do you think yours will be by the end? :D
Whenever I look back to the very beginning I kinda just feel embarrassed. I've learned, and my storytelling and plot idea have changed, so much over the three years I've been working on it (I go slow, what can I say). There's a stark contrast between the quality of the first two arcs and the next two arcs (which I'm just now finishing up), so much so that I'm going to rewrite the beginning. As far as going from plot point to plot point is concerned, though, I think I've had a roughly consistent pace, even if that pace is slightly slow. I can't really complain (of course there's bias, but still).
Slow isn't a bad thing, it just depends on if you believe that enough is happening to make sure that slow pace isn't a boring slog. Like, I like to believe that my pacing is so slow simply because I've got a lot of important attributes of the plot that need time to bubble (I mean, I haven't pulled a Young Adult novel and have 80% of my chapters being taken up by me describing Trunks;'s god-like abs... Yet... Maybe... :D). Well... Like to think :D
Gog wrote: I'd say your story is paced well. Hell, sometimes I just want your story to stop building up everything and get straight to the main plot.
Those two sentences seem contradictory to me :D

Though I do consider every chapter to be apart of the main plot, I'd prefer that you can't just skip any of them and be fine.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Alruneia wrote:Congratulations! (~140k and ~220 pages myself.)
How long do you think yours will be by the end? :D
300,000 words exactly (that's done on purpose, everything has a set length), somewhere around 450 pages (that'll just kinda happen).
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:52 pm

My current longest is at 231 pages or just over a 100k words with Vicious Gods Wrath. I tend to write shorter chapters.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:02 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:My current longest is at 231 pages or just over a 100k words with Vicious Gods Wrath. I tend to write shorter chapters.
Well, as lying girlfriends once said "It's not the size that counts..." :D

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Does anyone else get annoyed when memes are forcefully included into stories? Seriously, TRY to read a Dragon Ball fic around the Saiyan arc. It is a mathematical certainty you will run into a "clever" jab about over 8000 or 9000 or the scene played straight because it's considered mandatory, I guess?

Seriously, if you want to find a real life example of an Ubermensch, just find the fucker who doesn't cringe themselves into old age from the mandatory Internet meme of the story.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:36 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone else get annoyed when memes are forcefully included into stories? Seriously, TRY to read a Dragon Ball fic around the Saiyan arc. It is a mathematical certainty you will run into a "clever" jab about over 8000 or 9000 or the scene played straight because it's considered mandatory, I guess?

Seriously, if you want to find a real life example of an Ubermensch, just find the fucker who doesn't cringe themselves into old age from the mandatory Internet meme of the story.
It's pretty much a given that most DB fanfiction nowadays will try to insert some kind of TFS reference into the mix. As if those haven't been overused already.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:36 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone else get annoyed when memes are forcefully included into stories? Seriously, TRY to read a Dragon Ball fic around the Saiyan arc. It is a mathematical certainty you will run into a "clever" jab about over 8000 or 9000 or the scene played straight because it's considered mandatory, I guess?

Well... I do have a joke about Frieza's sense of time in mine, so.... I'm a tad guilty :D

Kanassa wrote:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:44 pm

I have a joke where a character asks Cargo(Namekian) if he's sick because he's so green. Does that count? :think:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:58 pm

LightBing wrote:I have a joke where a character asks Cargo(Namekian) if he's sick because he's so green. Does that count? :think:
I'll let it slide because of your great Zamasu arc ending ;)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:14 pm

I read a clever take on it in a fanfic called Cold World, where Raditz noticed Gohan's pl skyrocket and instead of ignoring it, he decided to take him offworld to meet Vegeta. Later in the story the Saiyans were contracted to a planet that had a large amount of warriors, and those warriors were all over 9000. So Vegeta cheated and went Great Ape.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:00 am

Re-watching some episodes of the Tournament of Power got me thinking, now I have ideas for a story to do when I finish my current fic (Well... if I ever finish). Pride Trooper origins, written in true comic book style with constant captions commenting on just how spectacular this all is.

Toppo is a man who grew up looking up to the last group of Super Heroes in Universe 11, under mysterious circumstances these heroes disappeared, leaving Toppo to try to continue their legacy. Problem is, he isn't exactly a Super Powered individual, instead ending up as a street performer who entertains kids (While disappointed, he doesn't mind too much, making the children smile is a win for justice in his book!). Though we do see him try to stop a crime in progress... Only to getting his ass handed to him by much more skilled criminals.

Kahseral is war veteran who after an unjust court marshal and rather shitty cards in life, ends up as a hobo on the streets begging for money so he can drink his troubles away. Though when we first meet him, we do see him begrudgingly give what scarps he does have to other hobos. His cybernetic implants are the result of the battle that ended his career, the implants not exactly working correctly.

Dypso is first seen in a montage of job interviews, which for various reasons he is just told 'Maybe' or 'Comeback tomorrow' (With the narration informing us that 'Tomorrow never comes'). Obviously a pretty young man at this point, he returns to his shitty apartment where his mother berates him for not having a job yet. He some times gives cheese to Kahseral when he passes him on the street.

Cocotte is a musician, who we see on giant TV screens, only for the audience's reactions to show more annoyance than entertainment. A quick montage walking us through the worst day of her life as she tries to intervene in a mugging, gets a black eye, is kicked out of her friends house and informed by her manager that she's been replaced by a younger and more modern 'artist'.

Vuon is a rather soft spoken and quiet man, building a home in the middle of a forest where he can be lone with nature. Though similar to Android 17, he deals with poachers from time to time.

Tupper & Zoiray are a circus act and live a rather happy life doing what they do. Zoiray, the 'Sapphire Spinner' and Tupper, the 'Iron Golem'. Well, all until they find out that the circus is paying protection money to the mob, and soon the circus won't be able to pay that money.

Kettol, Kunshi and Jiren would not be members until much later (Jiren would be a villain turned hero to explain his attitude).

The origin would be like this: Belmod is very disappointed with his Universe. Ever since the last team of Super Heroes disappeared everything has gone to shit, villains on the rise and injustice everywhere, with their mortal level plummeting every day. But what can he do to make everything better? Eh, what does it matter, he has a planet to destroy anyway. Blance of Nature and all. It just so happens that the planet Belmod aims to erase next is the planet Toppo lives on. Belmod makes it very clear to the planet that he plans to erase the planet, but offers that if someone is able to beat him, he will not erase the planet. The immediate reaction to this is for everyone to get the fuck off the planet, which disappoints Belmod immensely. Don't these people have any sense of justice?

Toppo, unlike everyone else, refuses to leave. He's never heard of the whole 'God of Destruction' thing and can't let this injustice stand. At first he pleads with Belmod, knowing that he wouldn't stand a chance against the clown, but Belmod just reminds him that this planet will only be saved in defeat. So, Toppo fights, and loses. Badly. But even then, Toppo refuses to give up and makes various proclamations of how he won't give up and that he'd prefer to go down fighting, than turn a blind eye to injustice for even a second. Toppo passes out, but his sheer will impresses Belmod, who tells Marcarita to heal Toppo and take him to their world to train.

And that'd be the start of the first Pride Trooper.

Kanassa wrote:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Kanassa wrote:Re-watching some episodes of the Tournament of Power got me thinking, now I have ideas for a story to do when I finish my current fic (Well... if I ever finish). Pride Trooper origins, written in true comic book style with constant captions commenting on just how spectacular this all is.

Toppo is a man who grew up looking up to the last group of Super Heroes in Universe 11, under mysterious circumstances these heroes disappeared, leaving Toppo to try to continue their legacy. Problem is, he isn't exactly a Super Powered individual, instead ending up as a street performer who entertains kids (While disappointed, he doesn't mind too much, making the children smile is a win for justice in his book!). Though we do see him try to stop a crime in progress... Only to getting his ass handed to him by much more skilled criminals.

Kahseral is war veteran who after an unjust court marshal and rather shitty cards in life, ends up as a hobo on the streets begging for money so he can drink his troubles away. Though when we first meet him, we do see him begrudgingly give what scarps he does have to other hobos. His cybernetic implants are the result of the battle that ended his career, the implants not exactly working correctly.

Dypso is first seen in a montage of job interviews, which for various reasons he is just told 'Maybe' or 'Comeback tomorrow' (With the narration informing us that 'Tomorrow never comes'). Obviously a pretty young man at this point, he returns to his shitty apartment where his mother berates him for not having a job yet. He some times gives cheese to Kahseral when he passes him on the street.

Cocotte is a musician, who we see on giant TV screens, only for the audience's reactions to show more annoyance than entertainment. A quick montage walking us through the worst day of her life as she tries to intervene in a mugging, gets a black eye, is kicked out of her friends house and informed by her manager that she's been replaced by a younger and more modern 'artist'.

Vuon is a rather soft spoken and quiet man, building a home in the middle of a forest where he can be lone with nature. Though similar to Android 17, he deals with poachers from time to time.

Tupper & Zoiray are a circus act and live a rather happy life doing what they do. Zoiray, the 'Sapphire Spinner' and Tupper, the 'Iron Golem'. Well, all until they find out that the circus is paying protection money to the mob, and soon the circus won't be able to pay that money.

Kettol, Kunshi and Jiren would not be members until much later (Jiren would be a villain turned hero to explain his attitude).

The origin would be like this: Belmod is very disappointed with his Universe. Ever since the last team of Super Heroes disappeared everything has gone to shit, villains on the rise and injustice everywhere, with their mortal level plummeting every day. But what can he do to make everything better? Eh, what does it matter, he has a planet to destroy anyway. Blance of Nature and all. It just so happens that the planet Belmod aims to erase next is the planet Toppo lives on. Belmod makes it very clear to the planet that he plans to erase the planet, but offers that if someone is able to beat him, he will not erase the planet. The immediate reaction to this is for everyone to get the fuck off the planet, which disappoints Belmod immensely. Don't these people have any sense of justice?

Toppo, unlike everyone else, refuses to leave. He's never heard of the whole 'God of Destruction' thing and can't let this injustice stand. At first he pleads with Belmod, knowing that he wouldn't stand a chance against the clown, but Belmod just reminds him that this planet will only be saved in defeat. So, Toppo fights, and loses. Badly. But even then, Toppo refuses to give up and makes various proclamations of how he won't give up and that he'd prefer to go down fighting, than turn a blind eye to injustice for even a second. Toppo passes out, but his sheer will impresses Belmod, who tells Marcarita to heal Toppo and take him to their world to train.

And that'd be the start of the first Pride Trooper.
Now this is a fanfic I could binge on for hours.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:51 pm

With Nozawa's comment about GT Goku going to the realm of the Gods to keep on training, I'd really like for someone to incorporate the new stuff into that ending with GT Goku meeting up with Beerus and Whis and things escalating from there.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Doctor. wrote:

It's pretty much a given that most DB fanfiction nowadays will try to insert some kind of TFS reference into the mix. As if those haven't been overused already.
I haven't used any TFS references or memes in my fic, but I have made subtle references to other movies or TV shows, like Finding Nemo and The Terminator. I'm always hoping that people will pick up on them and mention them in reviews but it hasn't happened yet, unfortunately. I've even indirectly referenced something that happened in Dragonball Evolution, for mocking purposes of course.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:52 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

I haven't used any TFS references or memes in my fic, but I have made subtle references to other movies or TV shows, like Finding Nemo and The Terminator. I'm always hoping that people will pick up on them and mention them in reviews but it hasn't happened yet, unfortunately. I've even indirectly referenced something that happened in Dragonball Evolution, for mocking purposes of course.
I know the feeling! Just wait until the end of your fic, then talk about all the references you've made, and they'll all act like they got theme even if they didn't :D

Kanassa wrote:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:04 pm

In your fic, do you have a character you hate writing and a character you love writing?

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:24 pm

Kanassa wrote:In your fic, do you have a character you hate writing and a character you love writing?
Goku's consistently a pain in the ass to write. He's either too dumb or too much of an intentional asshole, I never seem to be able to get a comfortable mix right for him. Darth Vader is also a tough nut to crack because you've got to keep the balance of him being destructive, effective but not just a big dumb brick who brute forces through everything.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:32 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:In your fic, do you have a character you hate writing and a character you love writing?
Goku's consistently a pain in the ass to write. He's either too dumb or too much of an intentional asshole, I never seem to be able to get a comfortable mix right for him. Darth Vader is also a tough nut to crack because you've got to keep the balance of him being destructive, effective but not just a big dumb brick who brute forces through everything.
I've not had a problem writing Goku, though that might just be because I've never really put him in situations where he could act that stupidly. I just make him playfully upbeat and naive, as well as a bit insensitive to matters that aren't personal to him.

Darth Vader? I think his problem stems from that fact that until recently he was like a comic book character where there's such a long history of different interpretations that you can't get that much of a concrete read on him. I mean, it took me until Rebels to remember that he doesn't think of him and Anakin as the same person.

You have any character you love writing?

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
I've not had a problem writing Goku, though that might just be because I've never really put him in situations where he could act that stupidly. I just make him playfully upbeat and naive, as well as a bit insensitive to matters that aren't personal to him.

Darth Vader? I think his problem stems from that fact that until recently he was like a comic book character where there's such a long history of different interpretations that you can't get that much of a concrete read on him. I mean, it took me until Rebels to remember that he doesn't think of him and Anakin as the same person.

You have any character you love writing?
Goku's fine in a more relaxed situation but if you want to put him in one where he needs a modicum of maturity, it's a pain in the ass guaranteed from me. It might just be that I don't like him that's keeping me from getting over that hurdle.

Vader is actually easier comparatively since you've got lots of straight up books featuring Vader where you can sit down, read a few pages and get a feel for how you're supposed to do it. Goku, by comparison, has no novel where you can see things from his perspective to help ease you in.

I've gotten a lot of fun out of writing Vegeta what with how much fun it is to make him look like an ass or knock him down a peg or two. Goku Black too since he's delightfully evil and posh about it.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:02 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I've gotten a lot of fun out of writing Vegeta what with how much fun it is to make him look like an ass or knock him down a peg or two. Goku Black too since he's delightfully evil and posh about it.
I love writing Vegeta in awkward situations, he either croaks or fucking owns it; either way the results are amazing.

Kanassa wrote: