Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:I've got one I know is unpopular. Ted Cole was a terrible Yamcha. He strikes me as someone who was always trying way too hard. In Dragon Ball he was doing this raspy, whispery voice that sounded far too villanous and in Z he sounded like a drunken meathead failing to sound tough. Chris Sabat and Victor Atelevich, even at their worst, still sounded more natural.
Really? Sabat had this surfer dude voice that bugged the hell out of me. It's like he was trying too hard to sound cool.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Ted Cole was a terrible Yamcha. He strikes me as someone who was always trying way too hard.
Even if he did sound like he's trying too hard, what does that make Sabat's early performances?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:44 pm

I think EoZ is the perfect the ending for the franchise, and strangely enough, Super actually strengthens that opinion for me. It ends with Goku training... not himself but someone else, it is perfect Goku's char has come circle and the ending leaves you with warmth in your heart. Perfect.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I think EoZ is the perfect the ending for the franchise, and strangely enough, Super actually strengthens that opinion for me. It ends with Goku training... not himself but someone else, it is perfect Goku's char has come circle and the ending leaves you with warmth in your heart. Perfect.
I have to agree with you on EoZ being the best ending. GT's ending was too melodramatic for my tastes.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:54 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I think EoZ is the perfect the ending for the franchise, and strangely enough, Super actually strengthens that opinion for me. It ends with Goku training... not himself but someone else, it is perfect Goku's char has come circle and the ending leaves you with warmth in your heart. Perfect.
I have to agree with you on EoZ being the best ending. GT's ending was too melodramatic for my tastes.
Right? I used to be of the opinion that GT ending was better but watching EoZ recently and it leaving me with warmth and then GT didn't, it seemed too much like you said and didn't feel like Dragon Ball to me, and the whole ambiguity about Goku too, EoZ remained true to the spirit of the show, GT tried too much and missed the mark completely (like the series in general).

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:27 pm

I actually like how a lot of clothes (the Saiyan armor, orange gis, etc.) are re-used on multiple characters, especially when they're all together. Yamcha, Krillin and Goku all showing up to the tournament with the same uniform was cool.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 pm

HeroR wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I don't why the fuck they keep happening or who started it
One Piece probably? I remember Kenshin had some friendship speeches towards the end though, but it was a rescue arc so it's understandable.
Yu-Gi-Oh! has a lot of friendship themes and pre-dates One Piece by a year. There is also the Pokemon and Digimon anime, yes they're Shonen, Ronin Warriors (Yoroiden Samurai Troopers), Fullmetal Alchemist (specifically the manga and Brotherhood). So the 'power of friendship' or friendship being a focus have been a thing since the 80s. Even Fist of the North Star has a bit of it, although it was far more play down.
I'd argue that One Piece doesn't really use the 'Power of Friendship' much, Friendship is more the driving force behind the characters actions and training, not really actual power unless the specific battle is one of wills. The biggest example of 'Power of Friendship' I can think of is Ussop yelling at Luffy to get up and beat Lucci.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Right? I used to be of the opinion that GT ending was better but watching EoZ recently and it leaving me with warmth and then GT didn't, it seemed too much like you said and didn't feel like Dragon Ball to me, and the whole ambiguity about Goku too, EoZ remained true to the spirit of the show, GT tried too much and missed the mark completely (like the series in general).
While I prefer EoZ's ending to GT's, I still think it could have been ended better than EoZ.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:54 pm

It didn't miss the mark completely. Where Goku went was a little ambiguous, but it sure wasn't the living world. He's clearly leaving because he made a deal.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:27 pm

ABED wrote:
Ted Cole was a terrible Yamcha. He strikes me as someone who was always trying way too hard.
Even if he did sound like he's trying too hard, what does that make Sabat's early performances?
Amateur acting with a goofy surfer accent? I still dislike it less than the overdone rasp Ted Cole had in DB or his performance in both series. His voice is better in Z, but I think his acting is still too forceful and macho, leading to some awkward delivery.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 pm

What rasp? There's no rasp. And second, why does everyone seem to use rasp as a pejorative?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:43 pm

I don't hear any rasp in Cole's Yamcha in Dragon Ball. But then again, I don't hear any rasp in Henderson's Gohan like so many people do.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 pm

I agree partially with that. EoZ is the original ending and and it's more believable when you put aside movies and Super, but yet it doesn't feel like a true thing. I could still see ongoing adventures after the last chapter that's why I liked more GT ending, it felt like the true end of Dragon Ball, literally as the DB's would be no longer available and the cast should deal with the consequences of abusing it too much.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:34 pm

Noah wrote:
I agree partially with that. EoZ is the original ending and and it's more believable when you put aside movies and Super, but yet it doesn't feel like a true thing. I could still see ongoing adventures after the last chapter that's why I liked more GT ending, it felt like the true end of Dragon Ball, literally as the DB's would be no longer available and the cast should deal with the consequences of abusing it too much.
Agreed, I also prefer GT ending over EoZ.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:23 am

Noah wrote:
That's actually why I greatly prefer EoZ, an open and clean (all our cast is healthy enjoying their lives) ending fits more inline with what DB is all about, instead of trying to some sort of sentimental definitive crap that GT was trying to pull. Not everything needs a definitive end, sometimes open ending is the best, take FMA for example it still ended pretty open with everyone still going on to adventure.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:16 am

Open endings are when the ending is left to interpretation or uncertain or with dangling threads. Goku goes off with his new protégé, but it's still definitive. We know where he's going and the stories have been wrapped up. Stories require closure and the end of Z gives the story closure.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:05 pm

ABED wrote:What rasp? There's no rasp. And second, why does everyone seem to use rasp as a pejorative?
Watch the scene where he confronts he first confronts Goku, especially when he charges for the Rogafufuken. He says something like, "prepare to die"in about as low and raspy a voice as you can get. He sounds like a snake, it's too sinister for Yamcha and just unnatural in general. I don't think a raspy voice is in itself a bad idea, but to the extent Ted Cole would sometimes go and for a character like Yamcha I don't think it works.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Okay, even assuming that's true about that scene, I've heard his performance a lot over the years. His voice isn't raspy. In that scene, Yamcha's supposed to be a tad sinister. He's a villain for much of that first arc.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:23 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
ABED wrote:What rasp? There's no rasp. And second, why does everyone seem to use rasp as a pejorative?
Watch the scene where he confronts he first confronts Goku, especially when he charges for the Rogafufuken. He says something like, "prepare to die"in about as low and raspy a voice as you can get. He sounds like a snake, it's too sinister for Yamcha and just unnatural in general. I don't think a raspy voice is in itself a bad idea, but to the extent Ted Cole would sometimes go and for a character like Yamcha I don't think it works.
I think it's still better than Sabat's voice.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 pm

I'll take Cole's Yamcha at his worst over Sabat's Yamcha at his worst. Cole sounded confident, youthful and cool like Furuya's Yamcha, and that's what I like about his performance. 1999 Sabat's Yamcha, on the other hand, sounded like he was trying too hard to sound cool with that surfer dude voice of his.