"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:35 am

We already know the FUNimation English dub cast for Universe 6. Frost was already voiced in Xenoverse 2 by Greg Ayres (Chris' brother), and unlike some of the other voices that received heavy criticism and perhaps necessitated a recast (see: Hit), Frost wasn't one of them.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:10 pm

The only voice i'm actually remotely interested in to hear in english is the Omni-King. Oh and maybe the Grand Priest and Goku Black too, but that's not for this arc. I want to hear Zeno-sama's voice!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Son Vegito wrote:I wonder who will voice Frost now that Chris Ayres is sick. Perhaps Frieza and Frost will be voiced by the woman who did him in Z?
Um, first of all, no. They will NEVER get Linda Young back for either Frieza or Frost. Ever since Chris started voicing him, they've held to having him in the role. Plus, with the whole "Young VS Ayres" debates that keep cropping up, I'm doubting they'll wanna rock the boat any more.
Second, they already have an understudy, did you not know? Daman Mills voiced Frieza for a few lines towards the end of the arc & if Chris doesn't get better by the time they dub the arc, he'll most likely take over.
Third, did you not know it's Greg, his brother, voicing Frost? They've never had family members be voiced by the same person outside of young Goku & Gohan & young Vegeta & Trunks (in Kai). Seriously, it's been confirmed since one of the first few DLC packs came out for Xenoverse 2 that he's voicing Frost. The only recast we've had so far from the game to Super is Hit, so I'm doubting they've recasted him without letting everyone know.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We already know the FUNimation English dub cast for Universe 6. Frost was already voiced in Xenoverse 2 by Greg Ayres (Chris' brother), and unlike some of the other voices that received heavy criticism and perhaps necessitated a recast (see: Hit), Frost wasn't one of them.
i dident liked his voice in xenoverse 2. too childlish. he supposed to sound like frieza only little diffrent. the voice in xenoverse 2 kiddie and dident sound like frieza at all. i dont see a problem recasting chris ayers once again.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:02 pm

gohan_black wrote:i didn't liked his voice in Xenoverse 2. too childish. he supposed to sound like Frieza only little different. the voice in Xenoverse 2 kiddie and didn't sound like Frieza at all. i don't see a problem recasting Chris Ayers once again.
I don't get you, I really don't.
1. They only recast Ayres because he got sick & had to have major surgery done to save his life. That's it. Daman Mills also sounds almost exactly like him too, so if you hate Chris' Frieza voice, sorry, but the guy they have can sound almost exactly like him for Frieza. If you need a source, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MebPM73k5U0.
2. What part of Greg as Frost sounded "childish"? As far as I can tell, he sounds almost exactly like Frieza, which he's supposed to anyways, as you can tell here: https://youtu.be/S7spLtuFnLM?t=59s. Not childish at all. Your argument makes no sense.
3. Now that I read your statement again, do you actually think Chris was supposed to voice both like the Japanese VA? No, he's not. Greg has been voicing Frost since earlier this year as a means of being a cool not to Chris. Greg's been doing some voices for DB ever since Kai & he's not gonna stop. Plus, why does Frost have to sound 100% like Frieza? He's his counterpart in U6, but he's not a clone. Having a voice that's mostly there is a great idea & having Chris' brother do it is a great choice.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Australia's anime streaming service, Animelab just added the dub of Dragon Ball Super's first 13 episodes. I believe this is the dubs first time up for legal streaming right?
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:53 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Australia's anime streaming service, Animelab just added the dub of Dragon Ball Super's first 13 episodes. I believe this is the dubs first time up for legal streaming right?
Unless FUNi have been holding out on us, yeah, it seems so.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:54 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Australia's anime streaming service, Animelab just added the dub of Dragon Ball Super's first 13 episodes. I believe this is the dubs first time up for legal streaming right?
Hasn't it been available to stream on AS website since day one.?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:05 am

Oh shit, that's awesome! I have a subscription with AnimeLab and I didn't even notice that. Thanks for pointing it out!

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 am

It's funny this happens on the day my Australian Blu Ray copy arrives in the mail. Given I already have a premium subscription, I'd consider it a waste of money. I paid 55 dollarydoos for a Blu Ray box and two adorable videos of Sonny Strait and Chris Sabat teaching their daughters about Dragon Ball.

So totally worth it in other words.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Scsigs wrote:
gohan_black wrote:i didn't liked his voice in Xenoverse 2. too childish. he supposed to sound like Frieza only little different. the voice in Xenoverse 2 kiddie and didn't sound like Frieza at all. i don't see a problem recasting Chris Ayers once again.
1. They only recast Ayres because he got sick & had to have major surgery done to save his life. That's it. Daman Mills also sounds almost exactly like him too, so if you hate Chris' Frieza voice, sorry, but the guy they have can sound almost exactly like him for Frieza. If you need a source, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MebPM73k5U0.
2. What part of Greg as Frost sounded "childish"? As far as I can tell, he sounds almost exactly like Frieza, which he's supposed to anyways, as you can tell here: https://youtu.be/S7spLtuFnLM?t=59s. Not childish at all. Your argument makes no sense.
3. Now that I read your statement again, do you actually think Chris was supposed to voice both like the Japanese VA? No, he's not. Greg has been voicing Frost since earlier this year as a means of being a cool not to Chris. Greg's been doing some voices for DB ever since Kai & he's not gonna stop. Plus, why does Frost have to sound 100% like Frieza? He's his counterpart in U6, but he's not a clone. Having a voice that's mostly there is a great idea & having Chris' brother do it is a great choice.
there is nothing to get. this is my personal opinion. i just dont like it. his voice in xenoverse 2 was too childlish for me and thats it. it sound like kid frieza. frost is an adult. i dont know who damian mills is. i know that greg ayers did the voice in xenoverse 2. he dosent good enough for me

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:21 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
there is nothing to get. this is my personal opinion. i just dont like it. his voice in xenoverse 2 was too childlish for me and thats it. it sound like kid frieza. frost is an adult. i dont know who damian mills is. i know that greg ayers did the voice in xenoverse 2. he dosent good enough for me
Daman Mills is an understudy for Freeza in case Chris Ayres is not able to voice him.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:44 pm

gohan_black wrote:there is nothing to get. this is my personal opinion. i just dont like it. his voice in xenoverse 2 was too childlish for me and thats it. it sound like kid frieza. frost is an adult. i dont know who damian mills is. i know that greg ayers did the voice in xenoverse 2. he dosent good enough for me
That's why paying attention to previous conversations in threads you post in is important.
Your saying his voice for Frost is "childish" is what I don't get. It sounds perfectly fine for him. Daman is his understudy who'll do his best to reproduce Chris' Frieza voice in the future if he can't come back, so get used to it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:51 am

FUNi's December solicits go up today, fingers crossed for Super Part 3!

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Scsigs wrote:
gohan_black wrote:there is nothing to get. this is my personal opinion. i just dont like it. his voice in xenoverse 2 was too childlish for me and thats it. it sound like kid frieza. frost is an adult. i dont know who damian mills is. i know that greg ayers did the voice in xenoverse 2. he dosent good enough for me
That's why paying attention to previous conversations in threads you post in is important.
Your saying his voice for Frost is "childish" is what I don't get. It sounds perfectly fine for him. Daman is his understudy who'll do his best to reproduce Chris' Frieza voice in the future if he can't come back, so get used to it.
once again. its an OPINION

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:27 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Once again, it doesn't make sense to me, so I don't get it.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Look its his opinion, take it or leave it, but he wont change it. Please understand as others have understood yours.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:49 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Look its his opinion, take it or leave it, but he wont change it. Please understand as others have understood yours.
Yeah, I feel the same way. People need to understand that not everyone thinks the same and we all have differing views on what we like, but that's what makes us fans. I routinely look through these posts and find sarcastic or rude replies from certain members when they find people aren't on the same page as them. It's really unnecessary over something that's essentially just a cartoon. In fact, I like Dragon Ball GT! Just wanted to end on a random opinion that most don't agree with to show that I can have my own opinion (Side note: I like some of Dragon Ball GT, not all).

Also, mad that Funimation is seemingly not going to release Super Part 3 until January. I'd prefer for the Blu-ray sets to be ahead of the broadcast like the old days, but I guess Funi is emulating Japan's "one episode a week anticipation rule" and they also want to capitalize off Super as long as they can because they don't know how long it will run for. It just sucks in this age of binge-watching that we have to wait when back in the day, Toonami aired four episodes a week. It's whatever though. Seems like the schedule I made below is now how they're going to be doing it for a while (I have no life).

Dragon Ball Super: Part 3 (Ep. 27-40 releasing January 2018)
Dragon Ball Super: Part 4 (Ep. 41-54 releasing April 2018)
Dragon Ball Super: Part 5 (Ep. 55-68 releasing July 2018)
Dragon Ball Super: Part 6 (69-82 releasing October 2018)
Dragon Ball Super: Part 7 (Ep. 83-96 releasing January 2019)

This pretty much means the broadcast will ALWAYS be ahead, sigh.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:59 am

mecha3000 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Look its his opinion, take it or leave it, but he wont change it. Please understand as others have understood yours.
Yeah, I feel the same way. People need to understand that not everyone thinks the same and we all have differing views on what we like, but that's what makes us fans. I routinely look through these posts and find sarcastic or rude replies from certain members when they find people aren't on the same page as them. It's really unnecessary over something that's essentially just a cartoon. In fact, I like Dragon Ball GT! Just wanted to end on a random opinion that most don't agree with to show that I can have my own opinion (Side note: I like some of Dragon Ball GT, not all).
GT has some decent ideas, good animation, & a good ending, but I feel it really starts to go down hill at the tail end of the Baby Saga when Goku gets stranded in the mood-whiplashy-as-hell random filler involving that stupid extra-dimensional board game that was nothing but filler. After that, the writing takes a bit of a hit in quality after it improved after the hunt for the Black Star Dragon Balls.

As for that guy's opinion, for all your protesting about understanding other opinions, you guys aren't understanding my point of view either. I said I don't get his opinion, not that I care if he has it. It makes absolutely no sense to me because I simply just don't hear it. Yeah, it's different from Chris' Frieza, but it's not bad, or "childish" by any means. I just don't see it because I don't hear it whatsoever.
Not only that, but I just don't get how anyone can't like Chris Ayres' Frieza voice (even if you prefer Linda Young). He's just as good as Little Kuriboh, who's damn good in DBZA as him. He's just so deliciously evil & maniacal, a much-needed improvement from Linda Young, who never fit in the role no matter the scripting or direction. You can have whatever opinion you want, the reasoning just has to be clear & make sense, though.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 am

Scsigs wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
Scsigs wrote: That's why paying attention to previous conversations in threads you post in is important.
Once again, it doesn't make sense to me, so I don't get it.
i dont know how to explain to you in words why his voice sound childlish but it does. now. damian mills voice however. yeah i can see it working. but greg ayers voice sound like a kid