Super Episode 107 (17 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: Super Episode 107 (17 September 2017)

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:52 pm

Maji=Kayo is now my favorite "random side character" participating in the TOP. He's awesome and reminds me a lot of Majin Buu. He's a very interesting character with unique abilities and body. I hope to see more of him in the future.

As for Jiren this episode, ......MINDBLOWN! he was absolutely phenomenal! I'm now even more convinced that he is the mortal Whis spoke about.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm not particularly a fan of the whole announcement of whatever members of each universe has left in the first half. It's something I believe that the audience, using common sense, should be able to figure out. Though the universe "symbols" were an interesting touch to the lore and the mystery behind the two obscured representatives of Universe 4 could potentially provide more interesting twists for the Tournament of Power.

The episode was the most visually impressive and engaging out of the past few episodes of the ToP for me. Especially that transition from Frost's flashback of bargaining with Champa at his royal palace of a home to him standing calmly at the rocky and destructive environment of the tournament stage, hatching up a conspiracy against Universe 7. That exchange of blows between Vegeta and Magetta in this episode far exceeds what was presented back in the Universe 6 v. 7 tourney. Frost reversing the Mafuba effect against Vegeta was the most visually engaging scene in this episode by far.

That aside, it was about time Super began making Frost into a pragmatic badass. He legitimately surprised me this episode. At first when Frost was introduced in the U6 arc, I barely gave a crap about Frost's character that much. It wasn't until now I started growing fond of him with how he nearly eliminated Vegeta via Reverse Mafuba, someone vastly well above Frost's league of power beyond his comprehension, without even having to resort to utilizing his trademark cheat code with his poison needles. Seriously, the ending would've been so much better had Frost actually succeeded in his attempt of throw Vegeta out.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:58 pm

haven't watched the entire episode from start yet, but man, Frost is awesome, his design is much better than Freeza's, and even tough I would have prefered him to be good, he was a badass in this episode, Roshi is out, but he did a great job, the final scene with Beerus saying he is pleased for them to have worked so hard was good also.

A very well animated episode, there was a new soundtrack as well if I am not mistaken, it was worth to wait two weeks.

NEP: I'm sure Toei is trolling us, Frieza & Frost alliance wont end that soon.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:05 am

Pretty good episode all around. The Vegeta/Roshi team-up was really interesting and something that I don't think anyone thought we would ever, ever, ever dream of let alone see only a year ago. Art and animation were on point and the recap with the shots of each universe looked awesome.

Roshi's character has been wonderful this arc and this episode. Not only did he get Vegeta to actually worry about him, but he got Beerus to remember his name and give him praise.

Otherwise I don't have much to say. It was a good episode but nothing stood out to me as amazing. NEP looks very interesting. I'm guessing Freeza and Frost will team up on Gohan, but Frost will betray Freeza and the two of them will fight while Gohan escapes. Freeza should wipe the floor with Frost though.

If I had to guess I'd say Piccolo is probably the next to be eliminated. A shame really, if anyone deserved the fanservice levels that Roshi is getting right now it should be Piccolo. He's been fucked over for far too long despite being a fan favorite.

Also I think I've said it before but I'll say it again. Beerus has not only the most consistent writing but also the best writing out of any character in Super, hands down. Champa on the other hand, I don't know what the hell they're doing with that character. He's just awful and doesn't really even seem like the same character that we saw at the end of the U6 tournament.
Freeza9000 wrote:I'm not particularly a fan of the whole announcement of whatever members of each universe has left in the first half. It's something I believe that the audience, using common sense, should be able to figure out.
What? How on earth is it common sense to be able to figure out how many people have been eliminated so far without looking it up?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:12 am

I couldn't help myself...

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:19 am

This episode, Super? This is how you make a compelling episode! I can't recall in recent times a Super episode that's kept me this invested.

It nailed everything I've been looking for in this tournament? Actual tactics being put into play here, even better that it's an outside character capitalizing on the mistakes of another fighter? Check! Unusual cooperation and partnership between two characters, in the form of Roshi and Vegeta / Frost and Magetta? Check! Jiren finally asserting himself into a position where I actually said "woah that's pretty cool this dude's pretty cool"? Check! Most importantly to me, a character that hasn't been established before, but he actually served to have a distinct personality and was pretty cool while he fought? Check to you, Maji Kayo! The guy wasn't just repeating "Don't tick me off!" "You're cocky!" like the other 45% of the fighters we've seen, he has a clear distinct personality and as such the character has now proved himself to stick out without taking the show. If only they could've done that with most of the other fighters though ..... But regardless, the animation and the storyboarding was especially well-done, and proves you can pull off these interesting cinematic shots that Nagamine provides in the context of a 100% battle tournament. This episode was far and above the best of this tournament, and I hope moving forward we can at least expect more episodes built like this. Props to making me enjoy Frost too Toei, he's proven himself to be differentiated by his pure slimball attitude, and that's exactly what I want to see more of to separate him from his tyrannical counterpart. A good showing for me, especially since he's bound to be backstabbed by Freeza eventually.

The only middling things was that ReBrianne didn't really need a presence this episode, nor does her facing Goku really interest me? I'm really more interested in seeing her taking out Android#17 to create a major upset in the tournament and move things away from the inevitable Jiren fight, or I'd love to see her fight Vegeta again in an extended round 2 in a battle of stark contrasts. Hell, I'd even admit I'm more interested in seeing her face off against Freeza, Goku's sadly already been too oversaturated and I don't want him fighting every God-tier fighter.
Only other thing I disliked was the fact Master Roshi had to get eliminated sometime. He put in some good representation but now we've lost the fun tricky angle of Universe 7 and the entire human aspect, which is a shame seeing as that's a clear problem people had with Z; the tournament should be a perfect opportunity for Universe 7 to put the Earthlings on a pedestal. I don't care about power levels, and it's just a shame to realize that the first three Uni. 7 fighters eliminated were humans. At the very least, his loss was somewhat mitigated by the respect given to Roshi by both Vegeta and Beerus. It's little nuances but it really adds a lot.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:45 am

Really liked the episode. I do question how Frost figured out reversing it so easily and hit the tiny opening. Goku couldn't get it at first....
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:46 am

This episode is really good,I liked it, the animation was great, the writing was Also great and it was intense to see Roshi being beat up by frost and the segment with with maji kayo/jiren was fun
    Frost was actually intimidating and a badass, through he is still not better than freeza, lastly the interaction between Vegeta & Roshi was nice
      My complaint are that Ribrianne felt forced here, Magetta got wasted & the first half was just Padding.Next week looks really good,I can't wait for it
      Last edited by The gr on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
      Mostly active on discord.

Basako
      Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:47 am

The episode was cool, it's not that hard to write Goku aside, the episode automatically turns more interesting. Second time they do it for Roshi. First time with Maji Kayo, this time with Ribrianne.

The Pride Troopers eliminate Maji Kayo, Jiren steps for the second time. He could have helped his other partners before, whatever.

Frost against Roshi, the gap is huge, the power levels are fine, whatever Roshi does, Frost doesn't struggle one bit. But there comes the Mafuba and the problem. See, Roshi was already in his limit, used the Mafuba once and was literally revived after using the Kamehameha. I can't buy he survives a Mafuba against Frost like that and a second attempt too. Although it was cool how Frost sealed Vegeta. Frost and Magetta teamwork, Vegeta gets the robot and Roshi retires.

I predicted Roshi and Magetta would fall in this episode but I was told the summary of the next episode said universes 6 and 7 would still have eight members. So they were misleading.
      Heno heno kappa!

Torturephile
      Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:02 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I couldn't help myself...

That actually helped out a lot.
      From Super episode 113 thread:
      MaskedRider wrote:
      Torturephile wrote:
      hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
      namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
      The fandom in a nutshell.
      The duality of man.

Chuquita
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:09 am

Torturephile wrote:
      Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I couldn't help myself...

That actually helped out a lot.
      This is beautiful. :mrgreen:

I really do miss those TFS Super shorts. Been a while since they've made one.
      My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
      ---
      フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

jplaya2023
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:30 am

it's honestly bad writing that roshi broke vegeta free unless frost can't sense ki which probably doesn't make sense. They were better off letting vegeta get sealed and getting free the same way zamazu did since frost didn't use the tailsman

Jigurashi
      Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:32 am

jplaya2023 wrote:it's honestly bad writing that roshi broke vegeta free unless frost can't sense ki which probably doesn't make sense. They were better off letting vegeta get sealed and getting free the same way zamazu did since frost didn't use the tailsman
      Frost didn't need the talisman since the seal was written on the bottle. He'd have to just not be able to easily deduce that to keep Vegeta in there you'd need the bottle corked on.

obiwan23s
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:35 am

jplaya2023 wrote:it's honestly bad writing that roshi broke vegeta free unless frost can't sense ki which probably doesn't make sense. They were better off letting vegeta get sealed and getting free the same way zamazu did since frost didn't use the tailsman
      Freeza couldn't sense ki at first either, it's actually the principal strategy Goku takes him on with in the beginning of their fight on Namek. Although here it seems more like Frost just got caught up in grandstanding over his plan working so well and legitimately let his guard down, which it seems Roshi noticed was happening.

darzap
      Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:49 am

This must be the smallest amount of KI ever being consciously used in an energy attack. It was tiny, slow-moving and only intended to shatter a small bottle.

Tombstone1988
      Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:09 am

Asura wrote:Also I think I've said it before but I'll say it again. Beerus has not only the most consistent writing but also the best writing out of any character in Super, hands down. Champa on the other hand, I don't know what the hell they're doing with that character. He's just awful and doesn't really even seem like the same character that we saw at the end of the U6 tournament.
      I agree, Beerus feels like he's progressing as a character whereas Champa feels like he's regressing. I'm not sure the writers really know what to do with his character, so they're just hammering home his one defined character trait of "I hate my brother Beerus." That doesn't really make for compelling writing, unfortunately.
      "If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
      (Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

PMD
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:14 am

This episode was SO F***ING GOOD!!! This was Dragon Ball at his best.

Vegeta + Roshi. OMG. I never though I would see that alliance. So great line by Vegeta at the end: "Hey old man, this is where you quit. Eat a senzu bean before you die and leave the rest to me." SO BADASS, and it shoes Vegeta actually cares about Z Fighters. I loved the classic and nostalgic line: "Don't get the wrong idea", when he saved Mutten Roshi.

And Jiren vs Maji-kayo was really short but it looked awesome, even with Dyspo at the begginning. Animation was AMAZING and incredibly well directed.

Best episode of the tournament so far, alongside 102, 104 and 100 (in that order).

avasatu
      Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:24 am

Piccolo has to be next: it's the new elimination theory. I call it the "bald theory."

Feel free to make a 50+ page thread discussing and speculating :lol:

emperior
      I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:28 am

Damn, this episode was phenomenal. The best of the tournament so far. The storyboarding, direction, art, animation... everything was incrediby good. There were some incredible shots, and Frost was truly entertaining today, he was smart and the moment he redirected the Mafuuba to Vegeta was intense. Jiren keeps being a badass, I can't wait to see him in action. I'm also happy to see the ending theory was nothing more than just a theory. My boy Vegeta is there to stay. And Master Roshi finally got a proper closure, I loved Beerus' comment about there only being baldies on U7's bench :lol:
      悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Nickolaidas
      Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 am

THIS! THIS IS WHAT! THE FUCK! I'M TALKING ABOUT!!

A-MA-ZING episode! There was fighting between universes other than #7, there was scheming and plotting by Frost, teamwork, and tension! Roshi lost like a boss, and it was fucking awesome to quickly correct his mistake. Vegeta and Beerus respecting him was totally amaze-balls!

As for the next episode, I can only see two outcomes: either Frost tricks his alt U persona, succeeds and Frieza is out, or Frieza tricks his alt U persona, succeeds and Frost is out! THE NEXT EPISODE IS TORIYAMA'S VERSION OF GAME OF THRONES 'THE BATTLE OF THE BASTARDS!'

Gohan: ... F-Frieza ... you ... you?
      Frieza: Oh ho ho ho ho ... did you really think I would let Frost-san pull this off? I merely attacked you so that he would drop his guard.
      Gohan: ...
      Frieza: (grins evily) The only one who gets to kill you Saiyans ... is me. (turns around and walks away) But ... not today.

Seriously, is ToP keeps this up, I will 100% change my mind about this arc.