How is this better than the Dragon Box? (Screenshots included)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

How is this better than the Dragon Box? (Screenshots included)

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Sometimes I download bits off a popular Dragon Ball Z release just to see if I come across a cool edit or something. So, I recently downloaded a DVD rip of episode 1 from a website and came across this version. Not only is this 4:3, but it seems to be way better than the Dragon Boxes.

Here's it is, with screenshots from my Dragon Box alongside.
https://postimg.org/gallery/3jl5mebvq/

Note: This 900mb rip is being compared to my original Dragon Box disc and not a Dragon Box rip or file. :wtf:

Is this Ultimate Uncut and was it this detailed with perfect colours? If not, then which release has this been ripped from?

(Edit) - Here's one more:
https://postimg.org/gallery/28s6wz7ae/
Last edited by SylentEcho on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: How is this better than the Dragon Box? (Screenshots included)

Post by DHM211 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:49 pm

SylentEcho wrote:Sometimes I download bits off a popular Dragon Ball Z release just to see if I come across a cool edit or something. So, I recently downloaded a DVD rip of episode 1 from a website and came across this version. Not only is this 4:3, but it seems to be way better than the Dragon Boxes.

Here's it is, with screenshots from my Dragon Box alongside.
https://postimg.org/gallery/3jl5mebvq/

Note: This 900mb rip is being compared to my original Dragon Box disc and not a Dragon Box rip or file. :wtf:

Is this Ultimate Uncut and was it this detailed with perfect colours? If not, then which release has this been ripped from?
Looks like the BluRay levels to me(although i'm not 100% sure).

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:50 pm

I would assume they were the "Level #.#" Blu-ray sets that FUNimation put out in 2011. They were cancelled after only two sets, but a few extra episodes made their way to online distribution sites (namely Xbox Live, I believe).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:59 pm

I thought the Blu-Rays were only 16:9. They aren't?

Wow! :clap: If Funi decides to continue this version, I'll definitely buy it.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:02 pm

SylentEcho wrote:I thought the Blu-Rays were only 16:9. They aren't?

No, these sets were properly done in the original 4:3 aspect ratio. These were cancelled in favor of the subsequent re-cropped version of the show on Blu-ray.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SylentEcho wrote:I thought the Blu-Rays were only 16:9. They aren't?

No, these sets were properly done in the original 4:3 aspect ratio. These were cancelled in favor of the subsequent re-cropped version of the show on Blu-ray.
I can't believe they decided to cancel this in favour of cropping the footage again!

Is there any word on a future release like this one in the works?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:19 pm

I believe they came out and said that the process for the level sets was too expensive, so they scrapped it for the Blu-ray season sets that are 16:9.

It would be great if they did go ahead and release these (along with Dragon Ball, the movies, and GT), but I think that's wishful thinking to be honest. I think that Funimation can't possibly squeeze out any more money from DBZ and they have Super to look forward to. Maybe with enough time, they can continue this, though I don't see anyone but die-hard fans buying this. Also, maybe with enough time, the re-mastering process will be more affordable to their liking.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:24 pm

SylentEcho wrote:I can't believe they decided to cancel this in favour of cropping the footage again!

We know for a fact they essentially ignored all feedback regarding 4:3 presentation and doubled-down on this being their release style for the foreseeable future. Don't get your hopes up.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm

SylentEcho wrote:I can't believe they decided to cancel this in favour of cropping the footage again!
The sales were down which was most likely due to all the releases they had up to that point.

They had their original 87 disc release then they followed that by the ultimate uncut edition only to cancell it and do the season sets. After that they started releasing the dragon boxes AND Kai at the same time. Once those were finished they started with those Blu-rays. That's years of the same show being released over and over again so it's not surprising to see people finally put their foot down.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:

We know for a fact they essentially ignored all feedback regarding 4:3 presentation and doubled-down on this being their release style for the foreseeable future. Don't get your hopes up.
Hey, thanks for those man! I'm checking them out now. :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:20 pm

While the logic of just tossing the HD masters made for the Orange Bricks makes sense from a budgetary standpoint, it is a shame that they had to be released like that. Between this, the Orange Bricks, Kai, and the cropped First Chapters, it's irritating how there isn't a "definitive" release for the series in HD.

I can at least count my lucky stars that the original Dragon Ball series wasn't cropped for the Blue Bricks.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:30 pm

The new Blu Rays have slightly improved footage from the Orange Bricks, right? Did they bother to correct the places where faces were cropped out?

How does it rate for an HD release, however; coz I like the Dragon Boxes and the 4:3 level sets, so should I buy these newer Blu-Rays?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:50 pm

SylentEcho wrote:How does it rate for an HD release, however; coz I like the Dragon Boxes and the 4:3 level sets, so should I buy these newer Blu-Rays?
You're probably better off with Kai if we're talking purely about the picture presentation (there are tons more variables aside from that, like voice acting in both regions and the music); the Blu-Ray release of Kai is in 4:3 and uncensored, as well as sticking closer to the original japanese with things like Makangosappo and "Over 8000". Unfortunately The Final Chapters, which covers the Buu saga, is cropped to Widescreen and has an unfavourable colour grade.

As far as I'm aware the Blu-Rays are just the Orange Brick masters published on Blu-Ray in HD.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:55 pm

SylentEcho wrote:The new Blu Rays have slightly improved footage from the Orange Bricks, right? Did they bother to correct the places where faces were cropped out?

How does it rate for an HD release, however; coz I like the Dragon Boxes and the 4:3 level sets, so should I buy these newer Blu-Rays?
Orange Brick cropping was always in the center, with no exception. On the Blu-ray seasons, the cropping is selective, so while there are still some scenes with important stuff cropped out, it's less of an issue overall.

As for the actual video quality, I'd say it starts off as "okay" and by the end I'd call it "good". Nothing spectacular, but they're the best way to get the series cheap.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:As for the actual video quality, I'd say it starts off as "okay" and by the end I'd call it "good". Nothing spectacular, but they're the best way to get the series cheap.
IMO, it's much worse than that. I'd agree with you if you expect the level of detail you'd see on a DVD, but on a HD Blu-Ray grading curve, I'd say it goes from god-awful to pretty bad.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:As for the actual video quality, I'd say it starts off as "okay" and by the end I'd call it "good". Nothing spectacular, but they're the best way to get the series cheap.
IMO, it's much worse than that. I'd agree with you if you expect the level of detail you'd see on a DVD, but on a HD Blu-Ray grading curve, I'd say it goes from god-awful to pretty bad.
I can agree that I was a bit too generous, but I'd still say it looks "ok" by the end. That early stuff is really rough.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327