Yeah, Goku needs to use Mafuba at some point in the anime

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Yeah, Goku needs to use Mafuba at some point in the anime

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:28 am

(ZAMASU ARC SPOILERS AHEAD) I just watched the clip of Goku mastering Mafuba for the first time and got to thinking about how it'd be handled in the dub. Long story short, it also got me thinking about how he never used it and Trunks learned it in like a second AND STILL GOT TO USE IT OVER GOKU, A TURTLE SCHOOL STUDENT!!! My point is, Goku used it in the manga but not the anime. So, I'm hoping that maybe with Roshi using it so much lately (even though he needs it more than Goku to win his fights) - Perhaps, Goku will get a chance to use it this arc. A comment I came across suggested Jiren, but I feel that'd be a copout. If the Grand Priest turns out to be evil, I want Goku to use it on him.

This way, we'd have a payoff to Goku learning the technique and it'd be a way to honor Roshi teaching Goku the technique if he dies during this arc. Also, Goku NEVER learns new techniques besides transformations. That's why I REALLY LOVE when Super introduces Goku learning Mafuba or Hakaishin. Just like in Naruto, when he learns new techniques and they're implemented into the video games - I would like for Goku to have Mafuba (Evil Containment Wave for dub probably) and Destruction (for dub probably) as new techniques for his moveset in future video games because that'd be awesome! Also, perhaps Goku can also use Hakaishin in the anime on Grand Priest or another villain and the manga was hinting at this with Mafuba and Hakaishin being used by Goku.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Yeah, Goku needs to use Mafuba at some point in the anime

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:16 pm

I hope Goku gets an opportunity to use the Mafuba to seal away an enemy rather than annihalate them.

[spoiler]Personally I can see him using it on Frieza.[/spoiler]
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:08 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:I hope Goku gets an opportunity to use the Mafuba to seal away an enemy rather than annihalate them.

[spoiler]Personally I can see him using it on Frieza.[/spoiler]
I think that'd be neat. He'd prefer to have Freeza around as a rival than to kill him. But instead of killing he just seals him in. Considering how much this series loves to use Freeza it'd be the perfect way to be able to bring him back yet again lol.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:22 am

Thing is, both moves aren't Goku style.

Goku would rather eat dirt than seal away a good opponent.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:30 am

Agree with Totamo. The Mafuba is fundamentally at odds with how Goku treats a combat situation. Neutralising the immediate threat isn't what's on his mind, it's testing the limits of abilities and finding ways to improve himself. If anyone should be granted an opportunity to use the Mafuba, it should be Piccolo and Tenshinhan; the latter trained rigorously for the technique and he never got to use it. Piccolo relying upon his father's nemesis' ability to defend himself sounds like it would be a good character moment, sort of like how some wish Vegeta would continue to wear earthling attire as a mark of his full acceptance of their culture.

What's sad is how the Mafuba could be useful in defeating the likes of Jiren but no one has thought to do so because the "fight" with the tournament's strongest fighter would be over in a matter of seconds to a minute at best.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 am

Totamo wrote:Thing is, both moves aren't Goku style.

Goku would rather eat dirt than seal away a good opponent.
100% agree with you on this. Goku is the kind of guy that would only use the Mafuba in an extremely desperate situation, such as what we saw in the Future Trunks arc (of the manga) with Zamasu being immortal and impossible to kill. If that isn't a factor, Goku would never use the Mafuba in a fight. It's just not the kind of technique he would use in a basic battle. He loves pacing himself to get the most of a fight and just ending every battle instantly with the Mafuba would be an uncharacteristic direction to take with Goku's character. This is the same guy that gave Cell a senzu to make the fight between Gohan and Cell fair, turned down using the Potara earring to easily defeat Kid Boo in faVour of using his own power (SSJ3), and sparred Freeza in Resurrection F so he could come back stronger. He's the kind of guy who lives off of a challenge and bringing the Mafuba into the context of any battle for him, takes away that great thrill and pleasure he gets out of his major vice in life.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 am

Lionel wrote:Agree with Totamo. The Mafuba is fundamentally at odds with how Goku treats a combat situation. Neutralising the immediate threat isn't what's on his mind, it's testing the limits of abilities and finding ways to improve himself. If anyone should be granted an opportunity to use the Mafuba, it should be Piccolo and Tenshinhan; the latter trained rigorously for the technique and he never got to use it. Piccolo relying upon his father's nemesis' ability to defend himself sounds like it would be a good character moment, sort of like how some wish Vegeta would continue to wear earthling attire as a mark of his full acceptance of their culture.

What's sad is how the Mafuba could be useful in defeating the likes of Jiren but no one has thought to do so because the "fight" with the tournament's strongest fighter would be over in a matter of seconds to a minute at best.
It could be useful but two of the guys hat can use it are out, and the other two that can use that are in the arena won't ever use it unless under an extreme situation. I'd find it pretty antcimactic to have Jiren taken out just like that without actually showing off what he can do yet, which is part of why I'm glad that thought never came up for the characters.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:19 pm

Mafuba is a bit overused in Super now I think. It was never used in DBZ, but gets used by Trunks in Super, and Master Roshi at least 3 times. I think its safe to say Mafuba is done, they're not going to make everyone start using Mafubas now and dare I say its kind of a cheap attack to take down powerful guys. Why didn't Goku use this against Majin Buu back in DBZ for example?