"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:54 am

nato25 wrote:Anyone catch what the dub changed Frost third form name to? Was it Charging Form? A pretty unnecessary change from Assault Form wonder why they did that.
Lip flaps?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:07 am

Aaaaaaand this is where this arc gets boring until Vegeta fights Cabba. Terribe art and animation can't be saved by the dub unfortunately, unlike the retellings this can't be forgiven and narratively things weren't much exciting either.

That said the dub was as great as one would hope and Ayres did a bang up job, I wonder if he'll do anything different with the voice after the reveal.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:40 am

Goku looks interesting with his RoF outfit with regular Super Saiyan hair. Ayres did a pretty good job. Better than I was expecting. Vegeta saying Goku was strange. I have no idea how anybody could confuse this announcer with Eric Vale. Chichi sounds much better than in the BOG arc now. And that's about all I got.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:55 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Aaaaaaand this is where this arc gets boring until Vegeta fights Cabba. Terribe art and animation can't be saved by the dub unfortunately, unlike the retellings this can't be forgiven and narratively things weren't much exciting either.

That said the dub was as great as one would hope and Ayres did a bang up job, I wonder if he'll do anything different with the voice after the reveal.
Opinions, but I like Piccolo and Vegeta fighting Megetta more than Cabba's fight.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:27 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Aaaaaaand this is where this arc gets boring until Vegeta fights Cabba. Terribe art and animation can't be saved by the dub unfortunately, unlike the retellings this can't be forgiven and narratively things weren't much exciting either.

Opinions, but I like Piccolo and Vegeta fighting Megetta more than Cabba's fight.
Oh wait Vegeta vs Magetta happened before the Cabba fight right? Was at that point in the initial Japanese broadcast I was beginning to get interested in DBS again and then I lost complete interest when the promised death match between Goku and Hit never materialised and I more or less dropped the show until the Trunks arc (only checked the Trunks arc out of curiousity and have stuck with the show ever since!).

Tbh I enjoyed the build up to the U6 arc and the post U6 stuff (went back and caught up when the Trunks arc was in a break) wayyy more than the actual tournament including the Copy Vegeta stuff. I am glad the current U.S tournament is completely different in format, stakes, animation, direction, intrigue etc.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:03 am

So these are apparently the rest of the American Federal holidays:
Monday, October 9 Columbus Day
Friday, November 10 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 23 Thanksgiving Day
Monday, December 25 Christmas Day

Guess we should expect to miss 4 episodes of DBS for the rest of this year, so the Trunks arc definitely will start in January I think.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So these are apparently the rest of the American Federal holidays:

Guess we should expect to miss 4 episodes of DBS for the rest of this year, so the Trunks arc definitely will start in January I think.
We'll see.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:50 am

#36 title: "An Unexpectedly Uphill Battle! Vegeta's Great Blast of Fury!"

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am

after watching for 2 more times the voice of frost starting to grow out on me. i think i like it more now. i mean in his final form.

next episode. i dident liked it so much. they really treated piccolo like shit heaving him rely on the makankosampo.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:10 am

With regards to the 2 dub errors recently -

Episode 31: Master Zuno saying Zalama grants the wish from the Super Dragon Balls (it's actually Super Shenron)

Episode 33: Vegeta refers to Goku as Goku, not Kakarot.

I tweeted Rawly Pickens, and he said they have both been changed.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:14 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:With regards to the 2 dub errors recently -

Episode 31: Master Zuno saying Zalama grants the wish from the Super Dragon Balls (it's actually Super Shenron)

Thats good that they've been changed, they really do care about getting the dub completely right. Rawley is the one mainly directing Super right now over Chris so contacting him was a good move
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:52 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:With regards to the 2 dub errors recently -

Thats good that they've been changed, they really do care about getting the dub completely right. Rawley is the one mainly directing Super right now over Chris so contacting him was a good move
Thanks man. Rawly is great, he usually responds when he gets chance.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:31 pm

gohan_black wrote:after watching for 2 more times the voice of frost starting to grow out on me. i think i like it more now. i mean in his final form.

next episode. i dident liked it so much. they really treated piccolo like shit heaving him rely on the makankosampo.
Yeah these first couple episodes of the actual tournament weren't great...but the good (or better) stuff starts in a few weeks.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:46 am

We finally get to hear Matthew Mercer as Hit in the next episode. Even though he just says one thing I'm super stoked to hear him.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:53 am

So, I've watched a clip of Frost in the English dub, and I've gotta say that Greg Ayres does a pretty good job in the part.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Okora

Post by Okora » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So these are apparently the rest of the American Federal holidays:

They actually count Columbus Day? Growing up nobody ever treated it like a real holiday since nobody ever got time off for it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 pm

Okora wrote:

They actually count Columbus Day? Growing up nobody ever treated it like a real holiday since nobody ever got time off for it.
Columbus Day is apparently a holiday important enough to count. Whether AS does, I don't know, but my job currently has me off every day but Sundays, but they want me to come in that Monday because it's a holiday.

Okora

Post by Okora » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Okora wrote:

Columbus Day is apparently a holiday important enough to count. Whether AS does, I don't know, but my job currently has me off every day but Sundays, but they want me to come in that Monday because it's a holiday.
I don't know I'm in the military and I don't even get time off for it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:22 am

Okora wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Okora wrote: They actually count Columbus Day? Growing up nobody ever treated it like a real holiday since nobody ever got time off for it.
I don't know I'm in the military and I don't even get time off for it.
It's a selective holiday.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:02 pm

i know that its a dub thread but that episode brought me back to how toei shitting on piccolo charecter. he basiclly won this round. if not the poison he would really legitimitly win. then he just forfiet to give vegeta his place. just absulute fucking bullshit. piccolo should be eager to fight. toei is shitting on piccolo to give everything to goku and vegeta. they could have make an extra 2 episodes and show piccolo against magetta.