Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Disappointed in Shida and Takahashi tbh but boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy did Tate make up for them both!!! Jesus. That was so good.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:18 pm

Tate was the mvp,these episode were cool af,they had a good direction,the effects were cool and the visual for goku new form were pleasant to see,they really pushed their limits here :lol:
Mostly active on discord.

SuperNamek

Post by SuperNamek » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:03 am

https://sakugabooru.com/post?tags=dragon_ball_super

Some truly powerful art and animation here. What a time it is to be a Dragon Ball fan.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:08 am

SuperNamek wrote:https://sakugabooru.com/post?tags=dragon_ball_super

Some truly powerful art and animation here. What a time it is to be a Dragon Ball fan.
This why we had re-use animation a lot at the beginning! Seems well worth it now !!

I'm glad Tate finally has a cut that surpasses his Golden Freeza one.

Even if Shida's conservative the art is always amazing. Hopefully he comes back for the finally and gives us something truly nuts.

Takahashi's art is also great too. And that's something else not only did he have some good animation but some great art in this special too. So many good SSGSS shots I can add to the album :) (Guess I got to make a new one for "Ultra Instinct" Goku too!)

Danimon

Post by Danimon » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:35 am

So, do any of you have the eyecatches that were shown during the live version of the special? i can't seem to find them :oops:

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:54 am

These are my favorite cuts in the special.

Yuya greatness! BTW besides this being the reason why we need Yuya in DBS because of his sick art and animation (his work as a whole) who did the cut after this? when Jiren and Goku had a melee battle.

This is probably the most brutal KHH I've ever seen in Super, they even kicked in an epic backflip!

Last edited by SansrivaaL on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:55 am

What an episode, damn!
man, takahashi captured all the Z art in his scene especially here:
the nose, the cheek shading, the curve in the eyes everything is perfect.

Tate was corrected for sure, but in the parts where it wasn't, at least he tried to not fuck the art up and break the consistency between shida's and takahashi's cuts, a +10 for the effort and hoping to see more like this from him
Man, it's a shame the new transformation fight didn't last longer, it was very cut off by dialogs, but well, at least the upcoming staff, and with yuya in it, I expect much more from TOP, for now is a big thumbs up for they special, they completely delivered :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:20 am

Man, that new ending was gorgeous, probably the one the most beautiful art we ever had so far? Saw a wonky shot from Gohan when they're looking to the crater the Genkidama explosion formed, was about to comment they didn't reused the scenes of Goku vs. Jiren in the opening, but they sorta did it but with 'Limit Breaker' instead of his Base form.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:33 am

-Episode 109/110-

11/10 Holy Fuck that was amazing!! Now this is a Special! Better than One Piece Special on every front!

I start watching this Special expecting two awesome episodes and I got them!

I was worried about the amount of eyecatches after seeing One Piece Special, but even that DBS did it better. Each episode just had the usual 2 eyectaches and not 6 since like One Piece had. Sorry One Piece fans, but this time Dragon Ball wins.

As I expected, Shida's and Takahashi's cuts are my favourites. Can't believe Takahashi will be a Supervisor, it's just too good to be true.
Tate was awesome. I'm not fully satisfied with his art, but after what he did it doesn't matter.

Props to the staff! Everyone did a good job and it was worth all the hype.
Looking to the staff list is just unreal. Two days ago I was wondering when/if Ryo Onishi would come back to Super. Not only he did, but he also killed it again!

Some months ago I was saying how I think this is the best looking arc of the franchise and now they just gave me two more episodes to back that up.

The best thing is that the climax is only starting and the schedule is good enough to the production don't crumble after this episode, like what happened with episode 67 first part. The NEP looks great!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:50 am

Just wow.

I am at a loss for words at how good this was. The only criticisms I have are the second half of 109 and a little bit of the first half of 110 being a little meh but I am stunned at how good that was. I literally squealed seeing that gorgeous rotation from Takahashi. The direction, the score, the story boards, everything was what I hoped it would be and more. I'm confident in saying that this topped anything to come out of Super and probably rivals the greatest bits that Dragon Ball has ever produced.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:11 am

There was a bad Tate art with Jiren when he signaled Toppo to stop attacking MG Goku.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

This was Tate's art on MG Goku right? if so.. not bad, but for some reason this art of him reminds me of Naruto... weird.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

These were corrected shots to make the art consistent in between Tate's work right? who did them? Yamamuro?
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Also who did this art? it looks great!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

This is why we need Yuya Takahashi in Dragon Ball! he makes everything 100x better! Died for a few seconds after this scene.. I was in awe!
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Not a fan of Tate's art at all but this one hit homerun for some reason, maybe it being this bulky weird looking fit the scene.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Lastly a shot of Kid Goku, thank you Yamamuro!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Feel free to correct me if I was wrong on any of them being the work of who I said, I'm not sure myself.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:12 am

The animator that mzjority of the casual fans hate the most and critizise for his art and animation is the one that blows everyone else away.

It's like pottery.

Some really good pieces of animations; the best Super has had. I wish the directing was a little better, but overall, it was worth it.
Takahashi's art is something else. Can we get him as CD please?

Oh, and I almost forgot. That Ryo Onishi cut was spectacular. So much weight and dynamism.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:34 am

This episode was a miracle in the animation department. Especially, Tate. Holy crap. Hope we get episodes like this sometime in the future.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:45 am

This was fcking amazing. Great episode. Nice direction for the most part and the music was nice as well. This was better than RoF definitely. I was a bit worried when they announced a tournament arc, but hey have done well so far. The episodes before the special had decent animation, not entirely spectacular, but still pretty decent. And the special was ridiculously good. NEP looks strong, despite so much effort being thrown in this episode.

Looking forward to your animation breakdown Ajay. Its definitely gonna be much longer than usual. So much to talk about !!

Kazuya Karasawa was only handling the 1st half of 109. I wonder who did the 2nd half.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:12 am

While I didn't think the animation was as strong as Episode 66, which had great animation all around, this episode had some of my favorite Tate shots. So, bravo. And Goku's new form looks great, as expected.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:22 am

Finally got to watch this and I wasn't disappointed (other than Jiren still being somewhat of a cipher) but the animation, direction and music were elevated to a level that made the special a joy to watch.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:24 am

I can't believe it. What a time to be a Dragon Ball fan. Not only the episodes were incredibly good in terms of content, but the animation was among the best I've ever seen in Dragon Ball. Tate completely killed it, the Ultra Instinct felt so real... Goku's emotionless look and completely different movements were done incredibly good, like I truly felt there was something different. That's definitely the best Naoki Tate cut from Super, for me.
Yuya Takahashi was also awesome, I honestly can't wait for episode 114 to see him supervising. I hope he sticks around because his art is on a whole another level. I couldn't be happier right now, I've always been very optimistic and positive about the ToP becoming spectacular (the arc was just average before this special) but I never expected it to be so good.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Tugvow

Post by Tugvow » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:39 am

SansrivaaL wrote: but for some reason this art of him reminds me of Naruto... weird.
I definitely saw a Naruto-esque sequence at the start of 110, but it did flow real nice, & fit the "still getting used to it" bill that was unfolding.
How I wish I could block these distractions when I am supposed to be studying...

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:10 am

Episode 66... you got topped. Oh my goodness.

Did Yamamuro animate the ending? Because that actually looked really good.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:37 am

Decided Yuya Takahashi is my new favourite. Even though Shida might be a very talented animator, i still prefer Takahashi over him at this point. His art... Holy kemoly, that shit makes me nut. Shida's art is very nice aswell, but Takahashi just totally nails it when it comes to capturing that Z look, a bit better than Shida does imo.

I'm also one of those guys that prefers very good art + ok animation over subpar art + very good animation.
How i got into this shit: