Best way to back up my DVDs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: Best way to back up my DVDs?

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I've been ripping my collection as .iso files.
What did you use to do it? I had considered .isos but didn't have software in mind and just went for convenience.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Why not use MakeMKV? You can select the streams you want and have a lossless copy of the actual content that matters. At least that's what I do with my DVDs and BDs.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:35 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
What did you use to do it? I had considered .isos but didn't have software in mind and just went for convenience.
Slysoft AnyDVD, it does a great job breaking the copy protection and making your backups region free be they blu-ray or dvd. It is a paid piece of software however.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:37 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
Slysoft AnyDVD, it does a great job breaking the copy protection and making your backups region free be they blu-ray or dvd. It is a paid piece of software however.
Not where I got it from... <_< >_>

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:56 am

My recommendation is to check out DVD Fab. You can completely backup the DVDs to a hard drive while retaining the menus and all functionality while also eliminating stuff like the FBI warning screens or the trailers they typically force you to watch at the beginning. It can be an expensive product, but it works and the only thing which could endanger your data is a failing hard drive.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:21 pm

The way I do it is with MakeMKV. It's real easy and simple, just pop the disk into your pc, run the program and boom you done. Its all uncompressed though so it might not be the best if you don't have enough memory.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:The way I do it is with MakeMKV. It's real easy and simple, just pop the disk into your pc, run the program and boom you done. Its all uncompressed though so it might not be the best if you don't have enough memory.
Finally got around to doing it. It defaults to English dub and no subs funnily enough considering it's the exact opposite when you play it on a DVD player so I started over. Geez, 960+ GB per episode plus it takes a while to rip even just 1 episode, phew. Big project ahead. I think I can make them fit :lolno:

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:23 am

Forte224 wrote:Finally got around to doing it. It defaults to English dub and no subs funnily enough
With MakeMKV, you can select the dub/sub streams you want to keep. To edit the default stream (be it video, audio or subtitle) you can use MKVToolNix.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:12 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Finally got around to doing it. It defaults to English dub and no subs funnily enough
With MakeMKV, you can select the dub/sub streams you want to keep. To edit the default stream (be it video, audio or subtitle) you can use MKVToolNix.
Yeah I just found it funny since when using a DVD player it defaults to Japanese with English subs but the ripped product defaults to the exact opposite. MakeMKV is working out awesome. It's faster than DVDFab and doesn't crash. Thanks everyone for the tips!

Now, eventually I'm going to get the Dragon Ball Dragon Box. Does anyone know if I rip the subs from the Blue Bricks will they match up with the Dragon Box video/audio from the start or do I need to edit the video somewhat?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:06 pm

Forte224 wrote:Now, eventually I'm going to get the Dragon Ball Dragon Box. Does anyone know if I rip the subs from the Blue Bricks will they match up with the Dragon Box video/audio from the start or do I need to edit the video somewhat?
I'm not sure, but you may need to edit one of them somewhat. When editing The First Chapters, every episode so far has the same issue: the break between the two eyecatches is longer in the Dragon Box version. Now I haven't gotten to the point where the pink eyecatches are used so that may be different, but so far I have to re-align the audio at the eyecatches every time, which would of course throw off the subtitles.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:09 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Now, eventually I'm going to get the Dragon Ball Dragon Box. Does anyone know if I rip the subs from the Blue Bricks will they match up with the Dragon Box video/audio from the start or do I need to edit the video somewhat?
I'm not sure, but you may need to edit one of them somewhat. When editing The First Chapters, every episode so far has the same issue: the break between the two eyecatches is longer in the Dragon Box version. Now I haven't gotten to the point where the pink eyecatches are used so that may be different, but so far I have to re-align the audio at the eyecatches every time, which would of course throw off the subtitles.
Interesting, thanks. I'll have to think more about what I'm going to do going forward then

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:19 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Word? Dang I was going to get the DB dragon boxes and mux in the eng dub.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:The way I do it is with MakeMKV. It's real easy and simple, just pop the disk into your pc, run the program and boom you done. Its all uncompressed though so it might not be the best if you don't have enough memory.
Finally got around to doing it. It defaults to English dub and no subs funnily enough considering it's the exact opposite when you play it on a DVD player so I started over. Geez, 960+ GB per episode plus it takes a while to rip even just 1 episode, phew. Big project ahead. I think I can make them fit :lolno:
Where are you watching the rips? On pc or your dvd player? If it's on pc it could be you media player is set to English by default. Also I would consider getting an external hdd, a 2tb hdd isn't that expensive nowadays and you could possibly fit all of dragon ball in there(uncompressed). A bonus about having it on external hdd is if your dvd or blu ray player recognises usb devices you could potentially watch DB of your hdd on the player.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Word? Dang I was going to get the DB dragon boxes and mux in the eng dub.
Well one solution would be to simply delete the requisite amount of frames from the "seam" of the eyecatches in the middle until the audio is synched for both halves. When making T1C, aligning the audio is pretty simple, because the Dragon Ball appears in sync with both eyecatch music cues.

Funnily enough, even with the Dragon Box audio the music for the intro and outro can sometimes be severely off. There are some musically-timed parts of each, like Goku's various fighting poses in the first two Intros, or the "heartbeat" line on the Dragon Radar in the Outro.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:36 pm

I would back them up to external SSDs or if you have a 4K Bluray player/burner (expensive) I'd go that route.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Where are you watching the rips? On pc or your dvd player? If it's on pc it could be you media player is set to English by default. Also I would consider getting an external hdd, a 2tb hdd isn't that expensive nowadays and you could possibly fit all of dragon ball in there(uncompressed). A bonus about having it on external hdd is if your dvd or blu ray player recognises usb devices you could potentially watch DB of your hdd on the player.
I'm watching on a PC. I don't think it's the media player, it's the way the files show up even in MakeMKV Either way I'm just removing the English dub. I'll eventually do that too but I'd rather they be their own separate video files even if that's not the most efficient way of using space. Yeah I'm considering an external hard drive. Currently have a 500GB SSD and a 1TB HDD (which is where I'm storing them). There's one for 69.99 at Best Buy atm but I'm sure I can find a better deal somewhere else

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:38 am

Can anyone help me here? MakeMKV has been flawless until I tried episode 95, and I got this (the episode eventually loaded to an MKV but it's a mess. If I fast forward at all the audio goes totally out of sync. I'll still be hearing Cha-La lyrics during the last episode recap. Episode 96 was fine though):

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:53 am

Triple post hype. Sorry. So I got it to work now, there were some smudges (maybe scratches too?) on the disc and wiping a little let the episode go through. I don't know, this guy claimed he took the boxes out of the packaging and never watched them but I'm starting to wonder. All the discs in Box 3 are out of order too. Discs 13-15 were all in each other's spots instead of their own. Same with 16-18. Better rip all these quick and make sure they work before the eBay guarantee runs out :think:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:12 am

Forte224 wrote:Triple post hype. Sorry. So I got it to work now, there were some smudges (maybe scratches too?) on the disc and wiping a little let the episode go through. I don't know, this guy claimed he took the boxes out of the packaging and never watched them but I'm starting to wonder. All the discs in Box 3 are out of order too. Discs 13-15 were all in each other's spots instead of their own. Same with 16-18. Better rip all these quick and make sure they work before the eBay guarantee runs out :think:
Yikes, that does sound fishy.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:08 am

KBABZ wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Triple post hype. Sorry. So I got it to work now, there were some smudges (maybe scratches too?) on the disc and wiping a little let the episode go through. I don't know, this guy claimed he took the boxes out of the packaging and never watched them but I'm starting to wonder. All the discs in Box 3 are out of order too. Discs 13-15 were all in each other's spots instead of their own. Same with 16-18. Better rip all these quick and make sure they work before the eBay guarantee runs out :think:
Yikes, that does sound fishy.
I'm not sure what to do. Boxes 1, 2 and 4 the discs look brand new. I messaged him so we'll see. Haven't checked the later discs. *Sigh* eBay