Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:56 am

I won't talk about it too much since it's technically a Super topic, but I think it's beyond awesome that they cast Drummond as Clone Vegeta. Hopefully this should put to rest any misconception that people have about how the two feel about each other in real life.

Now, in the interest of getting back on topic...
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sabat doesn't sound that much like a prince to me.
That's a totally valid opinion to have, and I think I would share it if it weren't for who Vegeta is a prince of: saiyans. One of the reasons I've liked both Drummond and Sabat's voices is that they both have these savage, beast-like qualities about them. This works on several levels since they're playing the prince of saiyans; a race devoted entirely to combat and conquest. I also think it works because it hints at the true form of a saiyan, which is an oozaru. Since Vegeta is the prince, and as such, is supposed to be a sort of his race...it fits that his voice sounds like that of a growling beast, yearning for combat.

So, all that to say, I'd agree that neither of their voices sound very prince-like in the context of a human prince, but I think they both work completely as voices of a saiyan prince.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:08 pm

If Trevor Devall is playing Mr. Satan in this dub, then he'll need to be replaced by someone else if they dub The Final Chapters. I'd prefer Dave Pettitt over Don Brown. Brown was never a good fit for the part, and Pettitt could step up his game with better direction.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Why would Devall need to be replaced? I dont even know him but...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Why would Devall need to be replaced? I dont even know him but...
Much like David Kaye, he's a full-time actor in Los Angeles now, so he'll need to be replaced.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:23 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sabat doesn't sound that much like a prince to me.
That's fine to have that opinion, but...How is Drummond's anymore sounding like one?

Sabat, as of the Kai dub, does have a princely undertone to his delivery, while still having his typical rugged rasp.

Drumond has the rasp, and snake like charisma, at least when he's directed well. However the higher pitched snake like, almost troll type voice is about as far from what I'd picture Vegeta to sound like.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:31 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sabat doesn't sound that much like a prince to me.
That's fine to have that opinion, but...How is Drummond's anymore sounding like one?

Sabat, as of the Kai dub, does have a princely undertone to his delivery, while still having his typical rugged rasp.

Drumond has the rasp, and snake like charisma, at least when he's directed well. However the higher pitched snake like, almost troll type voice is about as far from what I'd picture Vegeta to sound like.
I don't think Drummond sounds more princely than Sabat.

Yeah, well, you have to remember that when Drummond was cast in the role, they didn't have Japanese audio to get an idea of what Horikawa sounded like as Vegeta, so Drummond developed that voice based on his size. For someone who calls himself a fan of Brian Drummond as an actor, I think you'll be glad to know that he's going for a deeper pitch.

Really, if I were you, I wouldn't question Drummond's talent, much like I wouldn't underestimate the other Ocean voice actors, including the ones you consider bad.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:39 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Really, if I were you, I wouldn't question Drummond's talent.
WOW. :lol:

Anywayyyy, thanks for the history lesson that I already know. However I just don't think that pitch or voice is suited for Vegeta. Drummond is still an awesome actor, but that's this lowly peons opinion, please don't smite me for questioning Brian's creative choices or any other Ocean talent.

If this fabled ocean Kai sees the light of day and he deepens/improves his Vegeta voice, then great.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:10 pm

From what little we've heard, I'd say that Drummond's princely qualities are now prevelant in his inflections as opposed to a complete retooling of the pitch or the overall sound of the voice. Seems calmer yet still scathing. Better annunciation and an air of superiority. But still the voice we know and love.

For Kai, Sabat obviously modified the voice, smoothening it out and not going quite as deep. Prior to that change his delivery DID always have a definite arrogance. You knew he was always looking down his nose at others.

Great work from both of them, they really nail the character in two different ways. I a man very excited for Ocean's Kai!
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:11 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Really, if I were you, I wouldn't question Drummond's talent.
WOW. :lol:

Anywayyyy, thanks for the history lesson that I already know. However I just don't think that pitch or voice is suited for Vegeta. Drummond is still an awesome actor, but that's this lowly peons opinion, please don't smite me for questioning Brian's creative choices or any other Ocean talent.

If this fabled ocean Kai sees the light of day and he deepens/improves his Vegeta voice, then great.
Oh, I don't consider you a lowly peon or whatever, my dear friend. The reason why I told you to not question them is because saying someone like Peter Kelamis a bad actor just because you don't like his Goku is being close-minded. I'd advise you to check out his other work on his Behind the Voice Actors page. If that doesn't convince you that he's a good actor in other stuff then that's one hell of a shame.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:46 pm

I have issues with there performances, deal with it. You can't say my opinion is invalid because they are professionals so they can do no wrong. This explains why you pm'd me the other day randomly trying to get into another ocean dub debate with me, I find your behavior odd, friend.

Both Ocean and Funi have done great work over the years, but I still give Funi the edge in the recent efforts. I find no shame in not having nostaliga bias over flawed DBZ dubs featuring both Funi and Ocean. Them doing bad work in DBZ has no bearing on them doing good work in other productions. So trying to imply that me not liking them in those equates to me not liking them as actors period, that is just ridiculous.

Especially considering I have nothing but praise for Brian being copy Vegeta, or even the idea of any other Ocean actor, having a possible role in a quality production like the Super Dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:03 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I have issues with there performances, deal with it. You can't say my opinion is invalid because they are professionals so they can do no wrong. This explains why you pm'd me the other day randomly trying to get into another ocean dub debate with me, I find your behavior odd, friend.

Both Ocean and Funi have done great work over the years, but I still give Funi the edge in the recent efforts. I find no shame in not having nostaliga bias over flawed DBZ dubs featuring both Funi and Ocean. Them doing bad work in DBZ has no bearing on them doing good work in other productions. So trying to imply that me not liking them in those equates to me not liking them as actors period, that is just ridiculous.
Look, pal, I didn't say that your opinion is invalid or some shit like that. And no, I don't believe Ocean can do no wrong. You're free to have your opinion just like I'm free to have my own opinion.

My problem with some people is just that I don't like it when someone calls a voice actor bad just because they gave a bad performance and think they're bad actors judging from just that performance, that's all.

Can't we just be friends and forget about all of this?

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:15 pm

No need to get defensive, you already deleted your post to make the one above. At the end of the day it's cool buddy, you just gotta accept that I don't think any prior DBZ dub before kai holds up. You're free to enjoy them, but to me a bad performance is a bad performance.

Peter Kelmis is great in things Ed, ed and eddy, I just found most of his work as Goku bad, especially during the android stuff. Never said he was a bad actor period.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

MR.Mark wrote:No need to get defensive, you already deleted your post to make the one above. At the end of the day it's cool buddy, you just gotta accept that I don't think any prior DBZ dub before kai holds up. You're free to enjoy them, but to me a bad performance is a bad performance.

Peter Kelmis is great in things Ed, ed and eddy, I just found most of his work as Goku bad, especially during the android stuff. Never said he was a bad actor period.
I don't really enjoy the Funimation in-house dubs of DB, Z and GT. I do accept your opinions; in fact, I always accept different opinions.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:29 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:No need to get defensive, you already deleted your post to make the one above. At the end of the day it's cool buddy, you just gotta accept that I don't think any prior DBZ dub before kai holds up. You're free to enjoy them, but to me a bad performance is a bad performance.

I don't really enjoy the Funimation in-house dubs of DB, Z and GT.
Cool, that's your opinion and that's fine, I wasin't satisfied with English DB until Kai came. Funi ain't perfect, but there Dub DB material is now at an acceptable level of quality compared to past efforts.
Last edited by MR.Mark on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:31 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

I don't really enjoy the Funimation in-house dubs of DB, Z and GT.
Cool, that's your opinion and that's fine. Funi ain't perfect, but there Dub DB material is now at an acceptable level of quality compared to past efforts.
All I can say is that I'm glad that I don't have to cringe at Schemmel and Sabat anymore. I now believe that they're great for Goku and Vegeta.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:33 pm

I still will always miss Ian Corllet's speaking voice for adult Goku, if he had Sean's screams he'd be amazing.

I do still hope I can check out Ocean Kai someday so I don't have to cringe at the old Ocean dub anymore ethier, if the dub is any good that is.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:39 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I still will always miss Ian Corllet's speaking voice for adult Goku, if he had Sean's screams he'd be amazing.

I do still hope I can check out Ocean Kai someday so I don't have to cringe at the old Ocean dub anymore ethier, if the dub is any good that is.
I remember Ian screaming well as Cheetor. He needed to channel that performance to be a great Goku.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Which makes sense because BW had Susan Blu, a extremely competent voice director, so Beast Wars has great performances all around.

Though I'm still not sure Ian would be willing to tear his vocals to the level that Sean is willing to go, no matter the paycheck. I have yet to come across any examples anyway.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:48 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Which makes sense because BW had Susan Blu, a extremely competent voice director, so Beast Wars has great performances all around.

Though I'm still not sure Ian would be willing to tear his vocals to the level that Sean is willing to go, no matter the paycheck. I have yet to come across any examples anyway.
He did say in an interview that had he known about Kai, he would have considered reprising the role.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:48 pm

I think that's because Goku is the one character he's willing to do it for and the only one that really requires it. No other character in his resume screams that much.

EDIT:I'm talking about Sean not Ian.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: