"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krillin1994
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Krillin1994 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:44 am

There's a weird line in the most recent ep, where Trunks and Goten tell Goku to fight the copy Vegeta, Trunks says "if you don't the real Vegeta's gonna disappear"

I've heard about some dub line mistakes already in this dub, would this count as one? wouldn't it be more in character for him to say if you don't dad's gonna disappear... or something more along those lines?

Just I don't think Trunks would refer to his dad as Vegeta like that.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:54 am

Wow while this episode suck story wise suprisingly it has really good fight scenes

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 pm

puar wrote:Wow while this episode suck story wise suprisingly it has really good fight scenes
I always found Goku vs Copy vegeta to be a decent fight and actually ended up enjoying it more than a majority of the U6 tournament fights.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:
puar wrote:Wow while this episode suck story wise suprisingly it has really good fight scenes
I always found Goku vs Copy vegeta to be a decent fight and actually ended up enjoying it more than a majority of the U6 tournament fights.
Something that FrozenParticle has brought up is that he was disappointed in the 3-parter for devolving to another Goku VS Vegeta fight. Personally, I don't know about that. I think that maybe Vegeta VS Vegeta would've been better, like maybe service his development to getting stronger than Goku rather than have it be stated like it's still the early Buu Saga, but no. It's a clear indication of who's writing the arcs & how much they wanna stick to the characters, though it's not without a bit of set up, since Vegeta saw Goku use Kaioken with Super Saiyan Blue & said, "You've managed to get ahead of me again, Kakarot." I say that because, before that, it appeared that Vegeta just wanted to keep in step with Goku. The last few episodes aired over here in the States infer that he's regressed in terms of his character, which is why I think that people think he was regressed as a character in Super, rather than remaining as consistent as he has.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 pm

The official Funimation Twitter account revealed who’s playing Future Mai, Zamasu and Gowasu. Colleen Clinkenbeard is playing Mai, David Gray is playing Zamasu and Garrett Schenck is playing Gowasu.

Was James Marsters replaced or was David Gray playing Zamasu this whole time?

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Zamasu and Gowasu's VAs have been announced.
David Gray will be voicing Zamasu.
Garrett Schenck will be voicing Gowasu.

Sources:
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/9 ... 0073680897
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/9 ... 3557618689

I'm not quite sure who David Gray is, though. Is he the one that did Zamasu's voice in Xenoverse?

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:The official Funimation Twitter account revealed who’s playing Future Mai, Zamasu and Gowasu. Colleen Clinkenbeard is playing Mai, David Gray is playing Zamasu and Garrett Schenck is playing Gowasu.

I'm calling pseudonym. Google didn't reveal any actor who I could see voicing a Dragon Ball project by that name, and they definitely wouldn't place bets on a newbie to voice Zamasu.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:25 pm

David Gray is likely a pseudonym for James Marsters so the union doesn't catch him. Damon Clarke had to do it for Kai which is partially the reason why Jim Foronda was Cell in The Final Chapters
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:26 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:The official Funimation Twitter account revealed who’s playing Future Mai, Zamasu and Gowasu. Colleen Clinkenbeard is playing Mai, David Gray is playing Zamasu and Garrett Schenck is playing Gowasu.

I'm calling pseudonym. Google didn't reveal any actor who I could see voicing a Dragon Ball project by that name, and they definitely wouldn't place bets on a newbie to voice Zamasu.
That sounds very likely. I don’t really see them going out of their way to give a character like Zamasu as someone’s first role. It’s also strange that this actor’s name doesn’t have any previous material attached to them when you search them up.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:31 pm

Also notice that they said to "look out for his voice"

It's definitely Marsters
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Marsters as Zamsu could work but we'll see. His voice sounds like it could definitely work with Zamasu if he just went a little bit higher(which seems like he can do if you listen to his normal voice.) I assume people are gonna be put off by the Xenoverse performance, though. As far as I know, none of the VAs really got any info on who they were voicing outside of a very brief description. In fact, I'm pretty sure they didn't even get to dub over the actual 2D animated cutscenes in the games(this would explain why the lip syncing was as off as it was.)

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:49 pm

I wonder who this Garrett Schenck guy is? What other anime did he voice in?
Caulifla best girl! :)

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 pm

A very quick search using Google tells me that Garrett Schenck has had two voice acting roles (per Behind The Voice Actors);

Warrod Seeken - Fairy Tail (2011)
Grandfather Tachibana - Dance With The Devils (2015)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:58 pm

shadowmaria wrote:A very quick search using Google tells me that Garrett Schenck has had two voice acting roles (per Behind The Voice Actors);

Warrod Seeken - Fairy Tail (2011)
Grandfather Tachibana - Dance With The Devils (2015)
He was also Raise Max in One Piece Film: Gold

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:29 am

So, to recap...

Sean Schemmel as Goku Black (obvious due to Xenoverse 2 & FighterZ already being dubbed & it making sense).

David Grey/James Marsters (not revealed officially yet, but it will probably be sometime later on this year) as Zamasu, who might've been in Xenoverse 2 as well, we'll have to hear the voice tone.

Garrett Schenck as Gowasu, a newcomer to both Dragon Ball & anime dubs, who's guested in live action TV shows for years now.

Eric ale as Future Trunks, naturally.

And, in a not unexpected development, Colleen Clinkenbeard as Future Mai.

Nice cast. We'll see how Schemmel & Marsters do for their parts, seeing as they've had...decidedly mixed reception at best so far.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:46 am

How many episodes is it before Zamasu shows up?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:55 am

David Gray? No way! He's my favourite voice actor I loved his role as the titular character in the anime "blank"...

But seriously that probably explains why they were hush on XV2.

I was hoping FUNi would upload some clips given they were making a thread... Oh well just a few days to wait.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:50 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:David Gray? No way! He's my favourite voice actor I loved his role as the titular character in the anime "blank"...
I know right? I love when he collaborates with Dartanian Nickleback.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:David Gray? No way! He's my favourite voice actor I loved his role as the titular character in the anime "blank"...
I know right? I love when he collaborates with Dartanian Nickleback.
Heh. Looks like they're playing it safe with this generic "David Gray" name.