Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:28 am

Ajay wrote:Episode 123

Animation Supervisors
Hiroyuki Itai
Osamu Ishikawa

Key Animation
Yukihiro Kitano
Futoshi Higashide
Yoshitaka Kato
Tetsuya Saeki
Kenji Miuma
住々門 信<character I can't read>???
Osamu Ishikawa
Hiroyuki Itai
Tu Yong-ce
Nomi Tomechisa
Tatsuhiro Nagaki
Naoki Tate

Second Key Animation
Toei Phils.
Asashi Productions
A-Line
Tokyo Animation Center

-

That was definitely an episode of two halves. I expected a lot more of Itai's half, but with Yukihiro Kitano top-credited and what appears to be the bulk of his work featured there, it's not entirely surprising.

Ishikawa's half was much stronger. With Naoki Tate and Futoshi Higashide delivering some intense action, they definitely managed to elevate this episode by a decent margin, though very much rougher than their usual output on the whole. I'd go as far as to say that's Tate's weakest contribution since this entire arc began. Feels like such a last minute addition to the episode. Even Higashide's scene isn't up to his usual standards.

I'm glad it was at least pretty watchable since Sato's storyboard and direction was much stronger than I'd anticipated, and I was watching the first half very worried that his good work would be wasted on mediocre animation. It still kinda was, but not nearly to the extent the first half lead me to believe.
The storyboard saved this episode so much. I thought this episode looked okay but it had some bad shots in the first half. I hope the next episode looks better.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ice85

Post by Ice85 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:53 am

I'm not trying to be disrespectful but why is Yukihiro Kitano still working on Super? You'd think that by now Toei would fire him since they have so many talented animators on board. He produces objectively bad work regardless of how much time he has. Also the fight sequence between Gohan and Dyspo in the NEP looks very Tate-ish, is he working on the next episode or are they just reusing his animation?

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:54 am

Ice85 wrote:I'm not trying to be disrespectful but why is Yukihiro Kitano still working on Super? You'd think that by now Toei would fire him since they have so many talented animators on board. He produces objectively bad work regardless of how much time he has. Also the fight sequence between Gohan and Dyspo in the NEP looks very Tate-ish, is he working on the next episode or are they just reusing his animation?
There was definitely a reused Tate cut in there, so that's probably what you're referring to.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:04 am

Man, what a wonky episode saved by a good storyboard and a few good cuts.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:11 am

This episode was very rough at times. There were some bad drawings here and there, and the animation was mostly mediocre. I liked Tate's little contribution, his art has definitely grown on me lately. The storyboard was definitely great and helped the episode a lot, although I would have preferred to have less action and more suspense/atmosphere like in 122, which means they could have polished the rough art more. The board was way too complicated and rich of action for such an episode, which is really a shame.

As for Vegeta's new transformation, am I the only one who finds the effects very ugly and over the top? I would have preferred to see it look simple and not that bright. I hope they will fix it for future episodes because it's really distracting. They should have gotten rid of the aura like the manga's completed SSB form.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:19 am

Higlight of the episode: Tate's cut.

Agree that the perfected blue aura is far too bright, you can barely see Vegeta's face

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:00 am

Very mixed episode unfortunately. Tate's cut wasn't that good but Ajay speculated it may have been a last min additional if so then fair enough understandable.

I don't like how SSGSS Goku is drawn with a smaller bang...

I wish they saved Takahashi for this episode. I did like the scene transactions in Part A though very nicely done.

Narratively I enjoyed this episode more than last week shame it wasn't backed up well.

Next week looks good from the NEP and finally Golden Freeza!!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:25 am

The only part that really stood out to me as bad was Goku trying to kick Jiren and Jiren slamming him into the ground by the leg. It was so slow.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:46 am

Kitano really is bad. I am so mad that he almost ruined such a good episode. The content was good, the storyboard and fighting choreography were great, but he had to show up. I can't respect the guy at all. I wish he quits or gets fired. What a shame.

Also how can you call Tate's cut good with that rough art, limited movements and bad effects? The smoke barely even moved. I feel like people in this forum are fanboying on him, his cut was sub-par. It wasn't bad but not anywhere near good.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 am

I do wonder why they didn't put more effort in this episode if it was so important, but the second half didn't look that bad for me.

This has probably been asked before, but what should we be expecting for 125 and 126? Is it true that Yamamuro may work in an upcoming episode before the TOP ends?
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:13 pm

Amir wrote:Kitano really is bad. I am so mad that he almost ruined such a good episode. The content was good, the storyboard and fighting choreography were great, but he had to show up. I can't respect the guy at all. I wish he quits or gets fired. What a shame.

Also how can you call Tate's cut good with that rough art, limited movements and bad effects? The smoke barely even moved. I feel like people in this forum are fanboying on him, his cut was sub-par. It wasn't bad but not anywhere near good.
This episode definitely suffered from poor key animation, so far the animation for the ToP has delivered on these types of episodes but this was the first time I felt it didn't, a shame too since I enjoyed the narrative of the fight a lot.

I am worried for future episodes now as we head to finale. Next week doesn't look too bad but we'll see.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:24 pm

It got buried in the other thread I posted it in; maybe I'll have better luck here since it's the middle of the page and not the final post on a page.

There's a 5 day countdown until an official announcement regarding Kitaro. We may know more about if there will or will not be a dbs hiatus by the end of the week.

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/kitaroanime5 ... 4810829825
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Can someone point me out some of Higashide's character traits, like ears, eyes, noses etc ? I can distinguish his movement just fine, since he has very unique timing, but he's basically always corrected and I can't quite put my finger on those finer details, like some of you guys do.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:39 am

This probably means we lose Takahashi especially with Fairy Tail's final season starting sometime this year. Then I guess some or majority of the staff move on to working on Kitaro, can't wait to see Tate animate some ghosts!

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by DHM211 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Just noticed this but whats up with everyones height in the latest ending

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:14 pm

DHM211 wrote:Just noticed this but whats up with everyones height in the latest ending...
Wow, this looks pretty bad. 17 and 18 are supposed to have the same height, Freeza if not the same size as the androids just a bit taller, Vegeta is a freaking giant compared to them, Roshi and Krillin are also freaking dwarfs on this.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:08 am

Noah wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Just noticed this but whats up with everyones height in the latest ending...
Wow, this looks pretty bad. 17 and 18 are supposed to have the same height, Freeza if not the same size as the androids just a bit taller, Vegeta is a freaking giant compared to them, Roshi and Krillin are also freaking dwarfs on this.
More proof that this ending looks worse as the more you look at it from a detail standpoint.
Majinwarman

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:09 am

Chuquita wrote:It got buried in the other thread I posted it in; maybe I'll have better luck here since it's the middle of the page and not the final post on a page.

There's a 5 day countdown until an official announcement regarding Kitaro. We may know more about if there will or will not be a dbs hiatus by the end of the week.

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/kitaroanime5 ... 4810829825
If Kitaro is a getting a new series, then the hiatus rumor may be true after all.
Last edited by majinwarman on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Majinwarman

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:25 am

MisteryOne wrote:I do wonder why they didn't put more effort in this episode if it was so important, but the second half didn't look that bad for me.

This has probably been asked before, but what should we be expecting for 125 and 126? Is it true that Yamamuro may work in an upcoming episode before the TOP ends?
Yamamuro is coming on to do the storyboard for episode 126 I think.
Majinwarman

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 am

Just give us the guy from eoisode 116 and the guy from 122. Fuse these bitches for the final episode(s) and we have a great time together!

Btw who is animating 125 and 126?