'Resurrection F' on (international) Blu-Ray 3D

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

'Resurrection F' on (international) Blu-Ray 3D

Post by LostTimeLord » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:04 pm

'Resurrection F' got a 3D theatrical release in Japan, and in a few other territories including (eventually) here in the UK; Unfortunately (but not too surprisingly) the 3D version never made it to BD in Japan, America, the UK or Australia. However, it turns out 'R:F' did get a 3D BD elsewhere (Italy, Spain, Germany and Hong Kong), and the Italian version (http://www.amazon.it/Dragon-Ball-Resurr ... 0186MNZ00/) is pretty cheap to import. Only downside is that it lacks English audio or subtitles, and is still slightly more expensive than the local version (which I already own, and would need anyway for the English audio/subs). I notice fellow Toei movie 'One Piece Film: Gold' is in the same situation, only its 3D release is a Germany-exclusive that costs €32.

So I'm curious about about two things:

1) Anyone who has seen the 3D version (either theatrically or on BD), was the 3D actually any good? Was the 2D artwork given proper depth, or just layered on top of each other pop-up book style?
2) Does anyone else think that the Italian release is a little suspicious? I wonder if I'm looking at a bootleg here in the first place (although there are clearly legit 3D releases from Spain, Germany and Hong Kong), as the lack of any Toei or Fox logo and the specs stating a BD-25 for a 3D release are red flags.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: 'Resurrection F' on (international) Blu-Ray 3D

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:14 pm

I had a similar thing with the Ratchet & Clank movie! I could only find the 3D movie in France. Luckily it had English audio, but when you do that it locks on the French subtitles, which is bull.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 pm

I was really hoping for a 3D release in America back in 2015! If not on home video, at least in theatres! It’s a shame we never got to see it in 3D. The Hong Kong version would work in American blu Ray players though, as both countries are Region A. It’d Be worth importing and checking out. I did this with Resident Evil: The Final Chapter earlier this year, as US didn’t get a 3D Blu Ray release, but Hong Kong did. I’m an avid 3D fan, and Resurrection F would make a cool addition to the collection.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am

I watched ROF in 3D during its limited theatrical run here in Australia, and the effect was so subtle that it wasn’t really perceptible during fast paced action sequences.

Maybe they gave the home release a little extra TLC but I doubt it. I wouldn’t go out of your way to pick it up.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I watched ROF in 3D during its limited theatrical run here in Australia, and the effect was so subtle that it wasn’t really perceptible during fast paced action sequences.

Maybe they gave the home release a little extra TLC but I doubt it. I wouldn’t go out of your way to pick it up.
I also watched it in 3D back when the film was in theatres here in Australia. There were several times throughout the film where I forgot I was watching the movie in 3D because of how subtle it was. I only recall 2 or 3 shots out of the whole film that actually popped out. I wonder if they'll release the next film in 3D.

Kinda strange how Madman didn't try to release the film on Blu-ray 3D. They have released anime films on Blu-ray 3D before, but chose not to do so with Resurrection 'F'.