"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi got time to catch up on the dub then! I guess more people will probably be more interested in the dub now too.
I SWEAR I WAS JUST ABOUT TO BRING THIS UP!!! As a sub AND dub fan, I'm delighted by the idea of sub fans giving the dub a chance like many dub fans have given the sub a chance. After Super ends, I'd love to see many people start discussing the Funi dub before an eventual new series pops up. In the meantime, I also suspect sub fans will discuss the new movie in Super's absence. BUT YAY, MORE DUB HYPE!!!

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:07 pm

This is probably the best thing about the hiatus. The dub will finally be able to catch up. Also, instead of anticipating new subbed episodes every week, now I’ll just watch the dub up until Super comes back from its hiatus.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:This is probably the best thing about the hiatus. The dub will finally be able to catch up. Also, instead of anticipating new subbed episodes every week, now I’ll just watch the dub up until Super comes back from its hiatus.
Your last sentence just made me consider something: Does anyone think Super's sub ending is suddenly going to cause the ratings to skyrocket for Super's dub? I already thought the Future Trunks Arc would boost ratings, but with no more Super in Japan - Can you imagine the amount of hype that will now be transferred to the dub?!!! That is, for all the people who still care to watch the dub despite knowing about Super's ending....

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:42 pm

puar wrote:
Asura wrote:
puar wrote:i think preety much everyone agrees that vale is way better then the japanese voice actor of trunks.
Speak for yourself. This is definitely not an opinion that "pretty much everyone" agrees on.
YOUR PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE WHO LOVE THAT CRY BABY JAPANESE VOICE ACTOR OF TRUNKS. HES TERRIBLE.
I love my Trunks (The Latin American one) and I still feel post is whiny, makes the dub fans look bad and is really unwarranted to boot.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Yeah, I feel like the dub has kind of been overshadowed by the sub with Super. Some pretty huge moments like the Kaioken Blue kind of snuck by without too much fanfare except from the hardcore dub fans. If anything, I'd say the most buzz the dub has gotten has actually been from Brian Drummond coming back in these last three weeks.

It will be interesting to see if the dub starts to build traction once the Japanese version goes on hiatus. Lucky, that will coincide with the Goku Black arc, so hype will already be high.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Yeah, I feel like the dub has kind of been overshadowed by the sub with Super. Some pretty huge moments like the Kaioken Blue kind of snuck by without too much fanfare except from the hardcore dub fans. If anything, I'd say the most buzz the dub has gotten has actually been from Brian Drummond coming back in these last three weeks.

It will be interesting to see if the dub starts to build traction once the Japanese version goes on hiatus. Lucky, that will coincide with the Goku Black arc, so hype will already be high.
I mean, this is the exact first time Dragon Ball's been in this exact situation ever. It's become very similar to other anime shows, where there's always new episodes airing in Japan every week. The English dub started almost a year & a half after the sub started, WAY too late, in my opinion. If Toei really wanted to hit the ground running with Super, the dub of Super should've started 6-8 months after it started in Japan & they should've conferred with the dub producers to make sure that everything was good in terms of castings, not that Sabat's doing a bad job, & make sure that the dub people know of what's going on in the arcs before they dub the material, so the direction's spot-on to what's required of the actors & writers.
6 months is 26 weeks, right where the Golden Frieza/Resurrection F Arc would end. Sabat has stated he prefers to binge the shows he directs after the arcs are complete. Considering that the dub aired 44 episodes because of reschedulings due to holidays & other things on Toonami alongside Kai: The Final Chapters. By the time that another 26 weeks would've passes, the dub probably would've aired a little less than 26 episodes, probably around 18-20, depending on if any holidays or reschedulings would've taken place. However, given that the first 2 arcs have the exact same stories & beats as the last 2 movies, Sabat wouldn't have needed to divide his full attention to them to understand how to direct them. He would then be able to focus on the arcs afterwards by the time that they recorded them, because they'd be mostly done by then & he'd probably get fed info on what was coming up next from Toei so that he has most of the pieces. Not only that, but there'd be a little lag time for him to get most everything together & he doesn't have to record EVERYTHING at the same stretch of time, due to the show being animated, as well as shown with Chris Ayres, who unfortunately couldn't record any leftover dialogue in the last few episodes of the second arc due to his illness at the time, so Daman Mills did it for him.
Not only this, but also the usual dub problems, with casts being prematurely, & sometimes unfairly, judged & the anime staff can get better with their animation if Toei gives them a better production time that they haven't always had thus far.
But, hopefully, thanks to this hiatus, not only can the dub catch up & get close to the Japanese, plus get more popular & maybe run right into the next arc of whatever the next show's called, whether they keep the Super monicker, or they go with something else like Super Special Awesome, or something.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 pm

mecha3000 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi got time to catch up on the dub then! I guess more people will probably be more interested in the dub now too.
I SWEAR I WAS JUST ABOUT TO BRING THIS UP!!! As a sub AND dub fan, I'm delighted by the idea of sub fans giving the dub a chance like many dub fans have given the sub a chance. After Super ends, I'd love to see many people start discussing the Funi dub before an eventual new series pops up. In the meantime, I also suspect sub fans will discuss the new movie in Super's absence. BUT YAY, MORE DUB HYPE!!!
That's a pipe dream.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:33 am

This is another smart way to make some more publicity and money now that I think about it the Goku Black Arc is just about to start. Once Super ends in March the dub will still be running and likely gain in popularity amongst anyone who just so happened to not hop on the Super wave before it ended. Definitely part of their plan now that I think about it. If it gains a large cult following like the original series did then we will definitely have a revival on our hands in the future.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:42 am

HeroR wrote:That's a pipe dream.
Maybe, but you don't know that for sure and neither do I. However, I do know that the dub is sure to draw interest from a few of the sub fans due to wanting to remain in the conversation of Super, regardless of whether it's the sub or dub. Only thing I fear is complaints like SUB DID IT BETTER without proper explanation for why. Besides, the Future Trunks Arc starting for the dub when Super is about to end will possibly be a slight boost to the ratings, especially due to the hype of the overall arc itself.

EDIT: I also have to admit that there will be many sub fans who just leave Dragon Ball altogether until the movie, which I did mention above. So yeah, it's not like anyone's obligated to get into the dub. I'm just saying it'd be nice, that's all.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 pm

puar wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:David Gray is likely a pseudonym for James Marsters so the union doesn't catch him. Damon Clarke had to do it for Kai which is partially the reason why Jim Foronda was Cell in The Final Chapters
EXPLAIN ME THIS ALL UNTION THING CUZ I DONT GET IT
SAG-AFTRA (the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists), the actors union in the U.S., collectively negotiates for fair rates for actors in a variety of fields (films, TV shows, commercials, audiobooks, etc.), and portions of these rates also go towards health insurance and pension funds for their members. They also expect their members to follow several rules, the biggest one of which is referred to as Global Rule One...which basically states that union actors are not allowed to take non-union work. If a union actor is caught by the union doing non-union work, there are consequences...on the low end, the actor is just given a small fine, but on the high end, in a few particularly extreme cases, the actor is kicked out of the union.

Having said that, a fair number of union actors don't follow this rule for various different reasons, do non-union work anyway ("working off the card," as it's referred to in the biz), and get around Global Rule One through various different methods. I wrote a post on it a while back, but one of the more common ways is to be credited under a fake name. This is still considered breaking Global Rule One, but in order for an actor to be punished for working off the card, the union needs to be able to prove beyond a doubt that the actor in question took non-union work...and that's difficult to do in the case of voice acting. The actor can just say, "That wasn't me," and since they're credited under a fake name, there's not much the union can do after that. On-camera actors get caught far, far, far more often than voice actors (because if they say, "That wasn't me," the union can say, "What do you mean it wasn't you, we have footage of your face!").

That's not to say voice actors can never get caught--I know of several who have--but it usually doesn't happen unless another voice actor reports them to the union.

As for how Brian Drummond, a union actor, is in FUNimation's non-union dub, using his own name...I can think of two possible explanations. One is that he's with ACTRA, the Canadian union, not SAG-AFTRA, and I've heard that apparently ACTRA is not as strict about working off the card as long as the employer in question isn't based in Canada. The other is quite simply that he just flat-out used his own name and figured that ACTRA won't look into the matter. He's probably right, if that's the case. Pursuing voice actors working off the card on an anime dub ranks very, very, very low on the union's priority list...if it even shows up on the list at all.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:31 am

Geekdom101 actually brought up something, or maybe it was Masako, I can't remember, in their talk about the Universe 6 arc. Trunks is around 30 in the next arc of Super, so the gruff voice Vale gives him now would make more sense for later on in his life than Z. It makes more sense for Xenoverse as well, since that takes place at some point after Super's placement for him.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:49 am

TRIZACK wrote:Well in either case we will get a glimpse how he sounds on Saturday. Super excited I still remember thinking a year ago how I was going to put up with waiting for the Future Trunks Arc.
We already know what he sounds like thanks to DB Fighterz.

https://youtu.be/OaEwP2YuDQU

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 am

bleed0range wrote:
TRIZACK wrote:Well in either case we will get a glimpse how he sounds on Saturday. Super excited I still remember thinking a year ago how I was going to put up with waiting for the Future Trunks Arc.

Ho thats bad. Really bad and too much british. His voice in xenoverse 2 was good. What shame

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:01 pm

puar wrote:
bleed0range wrote:

Ho thats bad. Really bad and too much british. His voice in xenoverse 2 was good. What shame
I thought the Xenoverse voice was a LOT worse. Just grumbly. This voice is closer but I don’t understand why they feel the need to give him an accent.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:47 pm

bleed0range wrote:
puar wrote:
bleed0range wrote:

I thought the Xenoverse voice was a LOT worse. Just grumbly. This voice is closer but I don’t understand why they feel the need to give him an accent.
I know. Marsters doesn't even give Zamasu much of an accent, just an air of superiority that sounds like an actor from the 40s or 50s; more uppercrust than Posh. Schemmel goes really into the Posh & that's just not what Goku Black needs.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:14 pm

puar wrote:YOUR PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE WHO LOVE THAT CRY BABY JAPANESE VOICE ACTOR OF TRUNKS. HES TERRIBLE.
Yet again... this is not how we post here. I don't know how many more free and friendly warnings you're going to need, but we're going to run out of them before much longer.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 pm

I'm curious but apprehensive about hearing the dub Goku Black. These samples from Xenoverse and Fighterz aren't doing it for me. I know Sabat said it would be better for the dub but the overly British accent doesn't inspire confidence. I have been proven wrong though so lets wait and see.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Kaboom wrote:
puar wrote:YOUR PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE WHO LOVE THAT CRY BABY JAPANESE VOICE ACTOR OF TRUNKS. HES TERRIBLE.
Yet again... this is not how we post here. I don't know how many more free and friendly warnings you're going to need, but we're going to run out of them before much longer.
I agree. I'm sometimes prone to speaking before I think & having preferences, but I'm not gonna tell anyone that they're the only one who likes an actor from another dub, nor am I going to assume they're the only one. That's a bit much.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:36 pm

It has begun...
Sean, don't let us down
Caulifla best girl! :)

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:39 pm

Vale's Trunks doesn't sound as raspy as Xenoverse, generally. He's got it in some places.

Clinkenbeard's Future Mai sounds a bit like her Kai 1.0 #18, and Rachel Moore from Case Closed.