Should Dragonball continue as a series or as movies?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheZFighter
Regular

Re: Should Dragonball continue as a series or as movies?

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:53 pm

I don't think the movies have ever been all that great personally so I'd prefer another series, provided it was well done.

Having said that, regardless of what I might think about everything Super has done, I've enjoyed getting new regular DB content again.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:24 pm

Slaythe wrote:You can't make competent use of this current cast in movies though.

A show can either set up an adventure or some team of bad guys to fight (around 10).

Otherwise everyone would just get glorified cameos fighting insignificant dudes while Goku and Vegeta shine.

And yes you could argue that's also the case in the show, but hell, at least we got Gohan and 17 up there, and Roshi+18 did amazing too.
My sentiments exactly I'm not a fan of movies given the amount of time restriction placed on them

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Both movies and series, just as long as both source materials are consistent with each other. :P

Also I never got one chance to see a DB movie in the theater. I would pay to see it more than once next time.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Murata takes over and makes a new WSJ manga
I can dream
He already mentioned he doesnt want to work in a weekly schedule again.

He could do a monthly one while still working with OPM..

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:05 pm

TheZFighter wrote:I don't think the movies have ever been all that great personally so I'd prefer another series, provided it was well done.

Having said that, regardless of what I might think about everything Super has done, I've enjoyed getting new regular DB content again.
I have to agree with you. I like Super and want a tv show to watch. I do like new Dragon Ball movies, but I think the format of having just new movies wouldn't be able to keep Dragon Ball alive long term. I think ,both as a fan and a man who understands business, that a tv show is the best course of action.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:19 am

Series. I can't stand the movies.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:04 am

tbh the best thing would probably be seasonal arcs. They would have movie quality production but be long enough to tell the complete story.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:19 am

Series, the movies don't cut it for me, the real fun is in waiting a week for the next revelation
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:23 am

Series> Movies

Any Story is better told overtime. An example will be the Beerus arc.

The film was ridiculously long. 105 mins in the Fuji TV Version. That like 4 Anime episodes.

The arc did justice to Beerus' power AND SSG. Really showed how powerful these beings are, leaps and bounds ahead of what they faced before. The movie didnt show that much.

Would you have liked to see the Black arc in a 2 hour movie? It will be impossible.

If they only go for movie profit, they will shoot themselves in the foot, as the series sales more merch in the long term than any movie.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:35 am

I'd like to see more dbs movies, that'd be cool. Movies are not that long, you don't have to wait 1 week to know what will happen at the end and the movies visually look better.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:57 am

I'm conflicted about this. On one hand, the movies will obviously be of higher quality and I love me some well animated actions scenes, but on the other hand, the one hour and a half run-time is not enough to give the non-Goku characters a chance to properly shine.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:49 am

Other than dragonball2018.com they registered a 2019 and 2020 site, which could mean Dragon Ball may continue only under the movie format. I hope that's not the case, and I wish this year's movie won't be about Goku and co. but about the ancient Saiyans without Goku as the main character, so that a show set after EoZ can happen after the movie.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:59 am

dragon boss z wrote:tbh the best thing would probably be seasonal arcs. They would have movie quality production but be long enough to tell the complete story.
I would love a seasonal Dragon Ball anime. That would benefit the animation quality so greatly and there wouldn't be any need for padding when it comes to the story.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:11 am

SirTorra wrote:So my question for all of you is should Dragonball continue as a weekly series. Perhaps a seasonal series? Or would it be best for Dragonball to focus on movies instead? Perhaps a movie every other year with some OVA in between? What would be the best for Dragonballs future? How would you go about it?
I prefer movies as they are more straightforward, little to no long and boring scenes. But in the event they adapt stuff like Dragon Ball Online or a prequel, I think a series is required, as both of them can't be rushed.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:43 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Series, the movies don't cut it for me, the real fun is in waiting a week for the next revelation
I agree with this. Movies could be great but I don't have the patience to wait a year for each one. I find it hard when I have to wait an extra week for an episode, let alone this. I would much rather have a series.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:15 am

Series based on manga that extends the contents and movies with separate thoughts arcs non related with the series context
Like always manga - series - movies
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:52 am

Why not both?
I feel if Dragon Ball returns to TV it's going to be a new series but you never know... As for movies, keep 'em coming!

Isn't the Super manga continuing despite Super ending? Would be cool to see an anime based on what comes after the TOP :)
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:15 am

I think a seasonal series would be best. Because it would give writers a chance to breath in between. Imagine after the U6 vs U7 tournament they took a 2-3 month break and then dropped the Future Trunks Arc. And then after the Future Trunks arc they took another 2-3 months break and then dropped the ToP arc. I think that would be excellent because it should probably result in better animation and maybe even better storyline planning.

Movies are cool but they are just too short for me. There's rarely in-depth character growth in movies either. And we have to wait too long in between movies
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:23 am

Manga + Series + Movies.
I don' t care 1 (Yamamuro) movie for every 1-2 years when we had a very good TV series (with Karasawa, Takahashi, Tate ...)
Also, I can only watch the movie after the BD release and I will surely know all spoilers.
'It's not like the series is over' - Come on, I don't believe them ... There was a 18 years gap. I don' t want more!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:29 am

I didn't even watch the first two arcs of Super, let alone the original movies. My personal preference is for a committed-to episodic series. Is that bound to happen? A series, yes, but probably not committed to. I certainly wouldn't have any interest with the movies if they're going to have the same subject matter as this upcoming one.