Peculiar Piccolo Line in DB Super Manga ("I am not Namekian")

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nimbus

Peculiar Piccolo Line in DB Super Manga ("I am not Namekian")

Post by Nimbus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:40 am

During the Champa Arc of the DB Super manga, Piccolo says something quite odd and I was wondering what everyone's take on it is.

In Chapter 10 of the Viz translation, Piccolo says the following before fighting Frost:
I am not Namekian. I am the reincarnation of Demon King Piccolo.
What exactly does he mean by this? Is he implying that since Piccolo Daimaō was a "demon" that he is a demon as well? Based on this guide, I know there was a lot of initial confusion over whether people referred to Piccolo as a demon simply because they didn't know what a Namekian was. Back during the Piccolo Daimaō Arc, Namekians weren't invented yet so it makes sense that Piccolo would just claim to be a demon.

But in DB Super, we are well past the point of Piccolo's Namekian heritage being explained. Is this quote mainly just Piccolo being proud of his past as a demon and rejecting his Namekian heritage? (Similar to how Goku might say that he's from Earth, even though he's technically from Planet Vegeta) Or is he implying that he really is inherently different from a normal Namekian somehow? It just strikes me as a very strange line.

... or is this simply just a mistranslation on Viz's part? :lol: I sought out a fan translation and the quote was nearly identical, so I'm assuming he says the same thing in the Japanese version. But if someone with a copy of the original Japanese chapter could chime in and prove otherwise, that would be pretty cool.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Peculiar Piccolo Line in DB Super Manga ("I am not Namekian")

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 am

Piccolo doesn't care for Namek or its people. He told that to Gohan, point-blank. He's reached that conclusion after spending years alone and ostracized, before finally having the chance to meet his native people who are all like him and experience his heritage.

His conclusion: this place is boring. Apparently spending his existence on Earth accustomed him to a certain lifestyle, and even though he isn't evil anymore, he's still a fierce, proud, and independent warrior. The way of Namek is foreign to him. So foreign that he doesn't feel even any relationship or association with those people. They are all farmers, peaceful, close and community focused, nothing that Piccolo is. Piccolo identifies as a born and raised Earthling, and their lifestyle of chaos and excitement.

Piccolo chose to express this with a focus on his Demon King father because he was in battle, and this phrasing expresses who he is and what he's fighting for, AND is fierce and intimidating towards his opponent (I am not a peaceful Namekian! I am a crazy and fierce Earthling, so crazy and fierce that I'm a demon!)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:16 am

I take it as pure, stupid fanservice. Toyotaro wanted to appeal to Piccolo fans who still remember and prefer his less domesticated personality before he fused with Kami so he threw them a bone. It's character regression at its finest and I don't think we've seen a much better example of it in modern DB than this. Piccolo clearly acknowledged himself back when he fused with Kami as a Namekian.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:49 am

Piccolo is recognising the cultural identity that his particular family has come to be known as having. By and large the Namekians are a peaceful species with a lack of penchant for violence. What Piccolo thrives in is combat -- he is a born and bred member of the Namekian Warrior class. It plays into the intimidation facet of Piccolo's resistance to Frost. Just moments previously his presence at the tournament was brushed off as a piddling sideshow with little worth besides making Vegeta's inevitable victory against Frost more convenient. Being who he is, it makes sense that Piccolo would take offense to what basically amounts to an insult against his aptitude as a fighter and meaning as an entity all his own. He played into the darkly roots of his past in order to assert and distinguish himself from the common member of his species. But that's not to say he doesn't recognise or care for his own species. There's several examples in the manga where he showed genuine empathy and pride in who he was.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:19 am

It does strike me as a throw-away line that was there for no other reason than fan-service (can't remember if he says this in the anime too). While I've always liked his demonic heritage a little more than his namekian one, it's clear that the namekian one has taken precedence over "the Demon King" side of his character. I'd actually argue that it's a little idiosyncratic with the original story, what his fusion with Kami represented in the Cell Saga, and how he saw himself from that point on. Technically, he had completely discarded the title of Demon King once he had Kami were again one being again.

I'd love to see them rekindle the demonic aspect of his character, but I doubt that line was supposed to be something super noteworthy. For what it's worth, Toriyama didn't correct it.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:12 am

Goku in GT also said that he isn't a saiyan.
They mean they are earthlings and they do not care about their race and its past.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 am

It appears to be a cultural reference more than race. Same with Goku in GT.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Piccolo identifies as an earthling, like Goku does. He grew up on Earth and identifies more with it than a planet he's never lived on.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:I take it as pure, stupid fanservice. Toyotaro wanted to appeal to Piccolo fans who still remember and prefer his less domesticated personality before he fused with Kami so he threw them a bone. It's character regression at its finest and I don't think we've seen a much better example of it in modern DB than this. Piccolo clearly acknowledged himself back when he fused with Kami as a Namekian.
I don't think its fanservice,at the least in the way you said,after all Toyotaro clearly does not care about him.
Its fanservice in terms of being a callback when Piccolo declared in the 23rd Budokai that he is king Piccolo.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:34 am

Whatever wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I take it as pure, stupid fanservice. Toyotaro wanted to appeal to Piccolo fans who still remember and prefer his less domesticated personality before he fused with Kami so he threw them a bone. It's character regression at its finest and I don't think we've seen a much better example of it in modern DB than this. Piccolo clearly acknowledged himself back when he fused with Kami as a Namekian.
I don't think its fanservice,at the least in the way you said,after all Toyotaro clearly does not care about him.
Its fanservice in terms of being a callback when Piccolo declared in the 23rd Budokai that he is king Piccolo.
Toyotaro's attitude is one thing, but Toiryama clearly had to give his approval for this to make the final cut. He listens to suggestions, but corrects what he thinks goes against his ideas.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 am

Whatever wrote:
What makes you think Toyotaro doesn't care about Piccolo? This arc was from the time when Toyotaro was a complete stickler to Toriyama's script and barely deviated

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:50 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Whatever wrote:
What makes you think Toyotaro doesn't care about Piccolo? This arc was from the time when Toyotaro was a complete stickler to Toriyama's script and barely deviated
Piccolo's fight was shorter than Vegeta's gag fight with Mageta,he could not even bother find a proper reason for Frost to use the poison on him.
And he went Ultimate Bitch mode for both Goku and Vegeta in the manga,even more than in the anime where he simply stepped down,its hilarious honestly.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:41 am

Remember Broly's line "Monster? No, I'm the devil"? Meant to sound bad ass. I think this is the same.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:57 am

mute_proxy wrote:Remember Broly's line "Monster? No, I'm the devil"? Meant to sound bad ass. I think this is the same.
Yeah, this pretty much. I think people are reading way too much into this. He's making it clear that he's not just some Namekian, and trying to sound badass while doing it.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 am

Whatever wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
Whatever wrote: I don't think its fanservice,at the least in the way you said,after all Toyotaro clearly does not care about him.
Piccolo's fight was shorter than Vegeta's gag fight with Mageta,he could not even bother find a proper reason for Frost to use the poison on him.
And he went Ultimate Bitch mode for both Goku and Vegeta in the manga,even more than in the anime where he simply stepped down,its hilarious honestly.
That doesn't mean he hates the character.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:50 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Whatever wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: What makes you think Toyotaro doesn't care about Piccolo? This arc was from the time when Toyotaro was a complete stickler to Toriyama's script and barely deviated
I think what was meant here was that Toyotaro doesn't care much for him therefore doesn't care about providing fan-service or cool moments. Some people that read the manga have stated that they a sense a bit of favoritism when it comes to Vegeta. I guess that's what they're comparing it to.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:36 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
I never said he hates him,just that he does not care(not like he does much for other character,he goes out of his way to give Vegeta cool moments).
Just look also when Goku recruits Piccolo and his dialogue with him,its not even Piccolo anymore,he does not care of him being his own character but rather uses him as Gohan's hype tool.Also as Michi mentioned:
Michsi wrote:
I think what was meant here was that Toyotaro doesn't care much for him therefore doesn't care about providing fan-service or cool moments. Some people that read the manga have stated that they a sense a bit of favoritism when it comes to Vegeta. I guess that's what they're comparing it to.
This line ' I am not a Namekian' is just a callback just for the sake of being a callback,not to make Piccolo sound badass or fanservice for his fans.

King13s

Post by King13s » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:Goku in GT also said that he isn't a saiyan.
They mean they are earthlings and they do not care about their race and its past.
This gem right here.

He is HIS heritage. Not his race's or planet's heritage. Yes he can respect the origin of his species, as he did at the end of the Frieza arc. That doesn't mean he has to go live with them...

I just keep seeing too many similarities between Piccolo and Veget's character arcs in relation to the struggle of American Blacks. Like...accidental or not there is a definite parallel
Last edited by King13s on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm

King13s wrote:
I just keep seeing too many similarities between Piccolo and Veget's character arcs in relation to the struggle of American Blacks. Like...accidental or not there is a definite parallel
Why is this a spoiler? If you think it's going to cause an issue then why post it at all? Also I'm Black and I don't think the parallel lies with Black people alone. Pretty much anyone curious about their cultural heritage can relate. That's what makes Dragon Ball so great! Anyone can find something that relates to them.

King13s

Post by King13s » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:29 pm

Gligarman wrote:
King13s wrote:
Why is this a spoiler? If you think it's going to cause an issue then why post it at all? Also I'm Black and I don't think the parallel lies with Black people alone. Pretty much anyone curious about their cultural heritage can relate. That's what makes Dragon Ball so great! Anyone can find something that relates to them.
Spoiler tagged it not as a "hidden thought" but as I didn't want to derail the conversation, so anyone not really interested would scroll right past it. But, fair enough to call me for some shady shit.

Also, true that alien in a strange land motif has many different outlets in the show, and they relate more to how different people relate to the personal crisis of being seen as foreign or belonging somewhere they didn't grow up.

- Goku assimilates but we can't call it assimilating because it's the only life he's ever known, the idea of his heritage having any influences other than what he looks like is laughable.

- Piccolo is the struggler, the one with a grudge because he and his family have always been treated like monsters and he has no choice but to become the villain they think of him. Then one stranger offers kindness and he has to adjust. Has he judged as he was judged? He grows and challenges his old beliefs until he is as much a parent figure as Chichi. He isn't a Namekian, he's the son of the Demon King.

-Vegeta is the keeper of his heritage. He will never let go of what he is. And the fact that he says "is the prince" and not "was" is important. He holds onto his heritage, through servitude, rebellion, and even after he has settled down. He may have his new family, in the new world, but he'll never let go of who he is as the last true Saiyan, the keeper.

In Hebrew school I saw all these kids everywhere. I found out I was Jewish by decent when I was 10, and didn't see how it changed me. The kids borne into very Jewish households had this totally different mentality. And to be fair, DBZ definitely helped me understand their point of view.