Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:15 pm

Tatsuya Nagamine directing is the most exciting part about this announcement regarding the film as I love One Piece Film Z and found his direction of HeartCatch PreCure and Saint Seiya Omega sensational. And if this Dragon Ball film will be action heavy, we could be in for a treat.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:24 pm

I'm so glad Yamamuro is out. I had a feeling Toei would either make him change his style or replace him after Takahashi showed up and basically showed the whole world why Yamamuro's current art doesn't work.

This really captures the essence of early Z in terms of being round and flexible, so that alone has me hyped for the future of animated Dragon Ball.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:29 pm

I really hope that promo piece reflects the designs for the final film. It feels like such a bold statement to make, and that goes hand-in-hand with choosing someone like Shintani over Yamamuro for this film.

This is really what I've wanted for such a long time. Having a talented and strong voice like Nagamine lead the franchise, and bring in young stars like Shintani in prominent positions is everything Dragon Ball needs to rejuvenate itself.

The colour choices are so lovely. Man, everything's just wonderful. I really hope whatever they do in this film isn't just a one-off. If it turns out as good as it looks on paper, it would be a crying shame to fall back on the old upon Super's inevitable return.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Jaganshi1993

Post by Jaganshi1993 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Also if/when the new series comes back I hope they don’t do retellings again.
I think they will do that
Last edited by Jaganshi1993 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Ajay wrote:I really hope that promo piece reflects the designs for the final film. It feels like such a bold statement to make, and that goes hand-in-hand with choosing someone like Shintani over Yamamuro for this film.

This is really what I've wanted for such a long time. Having a talented and strong voice like Nagamine lead the franchise, and bring in young stars like Shintani in prominent positions is everything Dragon Ball needs to rejuvenate itself.

The colour choices are so lovely. Man, everything's just wonderful. I really hope whatever they do in this film isn't just a one-off. If it turns out as good as it looks on paper, it would be a crying shame to fall back on the old upon Super's inevitable return.
I would be so happy if we get to see this type of character design in a new Dragon Ball series or in Super. I'm so glad that this has happened but I still wonder if Yamamuro may show up as an animator at all in this film.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Tatsuya Nagamine directing is the most exciting part about this announcement regarding the film as I love One Piece Film Z and found his direction of HeartCatch PreCure and Saint Seiya Omega sensational. And if this Dragon Ball film will be action heavy, we could be in for a treat.
I think that this film may be better than what I thought at first when I heard it was coming out.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Dragon Ball Ultra?
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Derf

Post by Derf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Wow, that art is gorgeous. I don't completely dislike Yamamuro's current style, and generally find it an acceptable modern take on Dragon Ball, but this seems fresh and new while also respecting the old and I'm into it.

Also Toriyama's comment definitely gives me hope that Super is indeed actually on hiatus, and not finished indefinitely.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Sshadow5001 wrote:Dragon Ball Ultra?
The 超 / Chou kanji can mean both Super and Ultra. The translation software isn't very smart.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 pm

The only way this story really makes sense to “better explain” the relationship between the saiyans and Freeza but also have Goku involved would be if this was some kind of alternate universe or reality.

Perhaps when all the universes are wished back, it brings back another universe entirely where there is another Goku, Vegeta and Freeza or something. Somehow it explains how their fates have become intertwined and they have to work toward a common goal of defeating an enemy.

Essentially allowing them to go back to early DBZ in the Super timeline.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Maybe Freeza's wish rewrites the entire past 20-odd in-universe years since his arc first began OR unwrites them altogether and everyone wakes up and it's 20 years ago? Maybe Goku wakes up in this replaced unwound world and only he and Freeza remember the old timeline?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Doesnt this confirm that freeza is definitely getting the wish?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 pm

"One Piece Film Z - Dragon Ball Edition" and I'm so happy for that, because that's one of my favourite anime movie ever.
Not only I got Tatsuya Nagamine, the Director I wanted, but also Naohiro Shintani and Kazuo Ogura. I'm not sure about the writting, but visually this Movie will look gorgeous. :clap:

As for Toriyama's comment, it's good to see him so motivated.
Hard to believe he was once burn out of this franchise. Hopefully he writes something good. It can't be worse that ROF plot - Bring an old villain back and kill him again.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Makes you wonder where Yamamuro is going next if he's not on the movie
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Goku with his staff! :D I hope that means something.

I'm not knowledge enough to know if the new director is good or not( I really should) but I know Yamamuro was dull and his designs noticeable even by amateur like me.
I'm going to be optimistic regarding the story, I don't have great interest in more Saiyan and Freeza storylines and Mr.Toriyama being the solo writer after FnF isn't confidence inducing. I either hope someone is "supervising him" or that FnF was that bad because at the time it was just for dumb fun since Super probably wasn't even a thought.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:57 pm

I wonder if the long awaited opponent is not Beerus but rather Whis, because Goku has now mastered UI. Maybe Freeza let’s the cat out of the bag so to say about Beerus’ involvement with the destruction of planet Vegeta and of course that makes the saiyans have a rift between them and the Gods. Whis tries to explain that Lord Beerus is a balance to the universe and shows them the other outcomes between the saiyans and Freeza. But that means they still wish to fight Beerus anyway because... that’s what saiyans do. Beerus cantdo UI so it would require Whis to step in and actually fight Goku.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:04 pm

Chuquita wrote:Maybe Freeza's wish rewrites the entire past 20-odd in-universe years since his arc first began OR unwrites them altogether and everyone wakes up and it's 20 years ago? Maybe Goku wakes up in this replaced unwound world and only he and Freeza remember the old timeline?
Perhaps this is what will happen. Freeza wins and gets resurrected. The casts return to Earth and Vegeta demands why he should let Freeza go. After all, Freeza mass-genocided the entire Saiyan race. Freeza then tells the untold story about him and the Saiyans. Whis then adds more story about Yamoshi through his staff.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:07 pm

bleed0range wrote:I wonder if the long awaited opponent is not Beerus but rather Whis, because Goku has now mastered UI. Maybe Freeza let’s the cat out of the bag so to say about Beerus’ involvement with the destruction of planet Vegeta and of course that makes the saiyans have a rift between them and the Gods. Whis tries to explain that Lord Beerus is a balance to the universe and shows them the other outcomes between the saiyans and Freeza. But that means they still wish to fight Beerus anyway because... that’s what saiyans do. Beerus cantdo UI so it would require Whis to step in and actually fight Goku.
If the foe is Beerus, then Goku wouldn't be able to finish him off. Doing so would end the Supreme Kai's life as well. Plus, it isn't really in his nature to kill anyone who isn't trying to kill him.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:25 pm

This sounds and looks (from that one image) amazing. I'm a bit surprised they're going with the Super name as I thought it'd just be DB but regardless, it's good to know it's taking place after Super. I'm also excited for this new villain he's taking about. I don't know much about staff names but based on everyone's reaction it looks like it's in good hands.

Why do we have to wait so long ? :cry:

In terms of Super itself, someone official again, now Toriyama has said it's ending for the time being so I think it's safe to assume at this point that it'll be back.
jeffbr92 wrote:Also don't remember Toriyama or Toei making this statement. Canon is subjective, some may consider only the original manga and others Super, I prefer to consider both until some of them declare what is part of DB main continuity officially.
No one has to say anything outright as the writing speaks for itself. what we think is or isn't canon is irrelevant as the writing clearly shows that Toriyama's stories are the only ones taken into account at the moment.
Last edited by sintzu on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:<snip>
Sorry to bother but may you please allow me to edit the opening post? I would like to keep updating it with links to future trailers and to update the name, it seems to be a Dragon Ball Super movie, so it's better to add that to the thread's name.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~