Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:09 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Still can't get over yesterday's news. No Yamamuro in sight and at most he'll be KAing. This can't be a one time thing they have to move on like Ajay said. I hope this means people will be more lenient on Yamamuro the next 2 episodes especially #131 might as well just let him be now. I at least hope the new designs keep Yamamuro's bang in SSGSS and wild UI traits.

I also hope this means that figures will be getting rid of some Yamamuro traits too.

Only worry right now is Toriyama...please deliver a good story!
I love reading this. It would be a dream if all we have to worry about is Toriyama’s script, and I have faith that everything he will write will be good, especially his gags and interactions.

As for Blue’s bang, we don’t even know if Blue will reappear, but if it does I believe Shintani will base the design off Toriyama’s one, which had the bang. I’m very curious to see how Shintani will draw Super Saiyan hairs. Will he go for the simpler and less detailed approach of Namek/early Androids, or will he follow modern Toriyama’s approach? The middle ground would probably be the best. I hope he will at the very least make it very flowy, and I think he will.

Finally we are moving on from Yamamuro’s lego hair!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 am

emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Still can't get over yesterday's news. No Yamamuro in sight and at most he'll be KAing. This can't be a one time thing they have to move on like Ajay said. I hope this means people will be more lenient on Yamamuro the next 2 episodes especially #131 might as well just let him be now. I at least hope the new designs keep Yamamuro's bang in SSGSS and wild UI traits.

I also hope this means that figures will be getting rid of some Yamamuro traits too.

I love reading this. It would be a dream if all we have to worry about is Toriyama’s script, and I have faith that everything he will write will be good, especially his gags and interactions.

As for Blue’s bang, we don’t even know if Blue will reappear, but if it does I believe Shintani will base the design off Toriyama’s one, which had the bang. I’m very curious to see how Shintani will draw Super Saiyan hairs. Will he go for the simpler and less detailed approach of Namek/early Androids, or will he follow modern Toriyama’s approach? The middle ground would probably be the best. I hope he will at the very least make it very flowy, and I think he will.

Judging from the KV we don't have to worry about it not being flowy! I was looking at Toriyama's SSGSS drawings again the other day and the hairs looked great especially Vegeta's.

As for story, I been thinking and doubt Toei would go through all this trouble if it wasn't up to snuff, which is why I think ResF was left to last minute and given to Yamamuro. I am still cautious as the story will have some elements of the past it seems but I am less cautious then a say I was a week ago.

It is crazy how something as simple as a staff reveal can flip the mood so much! :)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:57 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote:

Judging from the KV we don't have to worry about it not being flowy! I was looking at Toriyama's SSGSS drawings again the other day and the hairs looked great especially Vegeta's.

As for story, I been thinking and doubt Toei would go through all this trouble if it wasn't up to snuff, which is why I think ResF was left to last minute and given to Yamamuro. I am still cautious as the story will have some elements of the past it seems but I am less cautious then a say I was a week ago.

It is crazy how something as simple as a staff reveal can flip the mood so much! :)
I don't really think Toei gave Yamamuro full control over RoF because they deemed the story to be bad.
That would be very disrespectful of Yamamuro, who like him or not is a important figure of the franchise, and of Toriyama too of course.
I believe at the time, for many reasons, they thought Yamamuro was the most suitable to handle the board and direction of the movie, and to supervise it too. I don't know if the movie was rushed or not, so maybe Yamamuro was essential for the movie's production because of how fast he can draw Dragon Ball.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:18 am

superfan2024 wrote:FIRST VISUAL AND STAFF FOR THE NEW MOVIE HAVE BEEN REVEALED!!!!!!!!

That face screams one piece to me, I want to puke :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I hope those aren't the designs but the typical random art that pops out before anything, I want Takahashi designs please

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:09 pm

The only negative I have is Gokû's eyes are drawn too far down and too far apart (I think that's what gives off the One Piece vibe).

The eye distance location looks better in this edit I think: https://mobile.twitter.com/DBReduxTDC/s ... 99/photo/2

Other than the eyes though, I'm very happy with this drawing. I missed flowy hair and actual orange dougi so much! And the awful highlights are gone!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Chuquita wrote:The only negative I have is Gokû's eyes are drawn too far apart (I think that's what gives off the One Piece vibe).

Other than the eyes though, I'm very happy with this drawing. I missed flowy hair and actual orange dougi so much! And the awful highlights are gone!
If this is how they'll draw him, it'll take some getting used to, but it's worth it when looking at the new overall design. I feel like they are trying to align the style with Toriyama's, and he does draw the eyes a little further apart.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't look too different from this art style Toriyama had in the Cross Epoch manga, and I don't get One Piece vibes either.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Chuquita wrote:The only negative I have is Gokû's eyes are drawn too far down and too far apart (I think that's what gives off the One Piece vibe).

The eye distance location looks better in this edit I think: https://mobile.twitter.com/DBReduxTDC/s ... 99/photo/2

That's kinda better, also the ears, the front hair and the face shape were fixed getting rid of excessive roundness :thumbup:

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:40 pm

cuartas wrote:
Chuquita wrote:The only negative I have is Gokû's eyes are drawn too far down and too far apart (I think that's what gives off the One Piece vibe).

That's kinda better, also the ears, the front hair and the face shape were fixed getting rid of excessive roundness :thumbup:
For sure, that edit looks much better, in my opinion.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:41 pm

emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote: I love reading this. It would be a dream if all we have to worry about is Toriyama’s script, and I have faith that everything he will write will be good, especially his gags and interactions.

I don't really think Toei gave Yamamuro full control over RoF because they deemed the story to be bad.
That would be very disrespectful of Yamamuro, who like him or not is a important figure of the franchise, and of Toriyama too of course.
I believe at the time, for many reasons, they thought Yamamuro was the most suitable to handle the board and direction of the movie, and to supervise it too. I don't know if the movie was rushed or not, so maybe Yamamuro was essential for the movie's production because of how fast he can draw Dragon Ball.
There was talk that animators didn't come to work on RoF because they didn't like working with Yamamuro. So, that is also a reason why RoF really looked like mostly Yamamuro and a few cuts of Shida.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:46 pm

majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Judging from the KV we don't have to worry about it not being flowy! I was looking at Toriyama's SSGSS drawings again the other day and the hairs looked great especially Vegeta's.

There was talk that animators didn't come to work on RoF because they didn't like working with Yamamuro. So, that is also a reason why RoF really looked like mostly Yamamuro and a few cuts of Shida.
Shida didn't work on Resurrection F
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:49 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote: I don't really think Toei gave Yamamuro full control over RoF because they deemed the story to be bad.
My mistake! I thought he was on the film but I must have been wrong.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm

majinwarman wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
majinwarman wrote: There was talk that animators didn't come to work on RoF because they didn't like working with Yamamuro. So, that is also a reason why RoF really looked like mostly Yamamuro and a few cuts of Shida.
My mistake! I thought he was on the film but I must have been wrong.
No worries, though speaking of Shida, I don't expect him to be on the movie. He wasn't in Film Z which was a Nagamine film as well but there will be tons of other great key animators on it no doubt
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Still way inferior to Takahashi, because Takahashi was simply perfect. The new desgisn is awesome, I love the simple yet effective shading and lines on the cloths, the hair is magnificent and so is everything else other than the face. The eyes are too far apart from each other so it makes it look odd and a tiny bit one piece-ish.

Still pretty great and far better than Yamamuro's designs.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Only worry right now is Toriyama...please deliver a good story!
If the movie looks like that art promo, there is no fuck-up that Toriyama can do that will detract my enjoyment of it.

To be honest, I don't think Toriyama can write anything interesting anymore, anyway.

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:31 pm

No worries, though speaking of Shida, I don't expect him to be on the movie. He wasn't in Film Z which was a Nagamine film as well but there will be tons of other great key animators on it no doubt

Shida confirmed on twitter,that he is gonna animate something for the new DB movie.And that's not all,he also said,that he wants to animate a 4 minutes long scene,like he did on One Piece film gold

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Rabdom User wrote:

Shida confirmed on twitter,that he is gonna animate something for the new DB movie.And that's not all,he also said,that he wants to animate a 4 minutes long scene,like he did on One Piece film gold
I've seen like all of Shida's answers and he's said that he can't confirm if he's on it

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Rabdom User wrote:

I think i saw him say he would be in the movie but please link where he said he was aiming for 4 minutes
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Even though the character design styles of Yamamuro on his prime/Nakatsuru/Takahashi will always my absolute favourite for this franchise, I just love how Shintani's desgin feels like an update version of Minoru Maeda's style:

As for Yamamuro, I have no idea what this means for him but I also think it's time to move on and have new blood start taking over his franchise.

This Shintani's design is already getting praise from some animators. I wonder if Yoshimichi Kameda will talk about it, since he criticized Yamamuro's character designs for BOG Movie and asked for Maeda's designs to be back.

Megumi Ishitani will direct/storyboard for the first time a DB episode and it's the last one of the show, which makes this an intriguing decision. To have such responsibility for her first episode, they must really believe in her.

And of course there's also the God Yuya Takahashi, who's making the entire fanbase jizz since episode 114 and is the fan favorite to be the new face of the franchise.
So talented that even other DBS supervisors were already taking inspiration from him. A young freelancer animator that debuted as supervisor after the middle of the last arc of the show...

I don't hate Yamamuro and I'm thankful he spent 20+ years of his life serving this franchise, but there's an end for everything. If we get a new show he could still be a supervisor, storyboard artist or key animator if he wants, but have an important position like being the character designer, no.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Maybe when the show comes back/a new show comes out, we'll get Yamamuro as a regular episode supervisor. On top of all the great ones we already have, a consistent one like him would be good. He's far from my favorite person who works on the show, but his key animation is still a notch above the average of Super and his corrections, even if his style isn't the best, could help with assuring we don't get any huge slip ups anymore.

As an exercise just think of these potential supervisors:

Tate, Karasawa, Takahashi, Yashima, Shimanuki, Yamamuro and Manabe, all on a decent schedule. That looks pretty strong to me.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW