"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:45 am

I can't say that I'm saddened that this dub was canceled. Aside from a few voices, it was pretty disappointing. Lex Lang is not suitable for a jovial, childlike character like Goku.
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Japanese DCAU sound the same as in English.
Do you really believe that this guy sounds like Michael Ironside? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qp25J_7k4)
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Subhraneel

Post by Subhraneel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:06 am

Tian wrote:Bad news, guys. Toonami Asia will shut down on March 31.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0013049698

It seems the Bang Zoom dub was cancelled :(
Its a fan made page, there is no correctless unless that post has been retrieved from a reliable source!

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:07 pm

Subhraneel wrote:

Its a fan made page, there is no correctless unless that post has been retrieved from a reliable source!
That page has consistently been correct and there are other sources that say the same thing so it's true
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Subhraneel wrote:

But it's true, I even pointed this out a little while ago:
Arian wrote:NowTV, a cable operator in Hong Kong lists this on the bottom of their channel listings page on their website:

Channel 446 Toonami and Toonami On Demand will cease transmission from 31 March, 2018

http://nowtv.now.com/channel/all?lang=en
So it definitely is happening.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:28 pm

Isn't there an American Toonami fansite that has contacts at Turner Asia? Any chance of them reaching out to provide a definitive answer to things?

A Filipino source is now stating it's shutting down this month, too.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:19 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Isn't there an American Toonami fansite that has contacts at Turner Asia? Any chance of them reaching out to provide a definitive answer to things?
Do you have a name for this fansite?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:52 am

Toonami Faithful managed to get Turner Asia to reveal information regarding this dub.

Now that it seems like the channel is dying, I'd love it if they were able to get cast lists/production companies for the other Toonami Asia dubs (BeyWarriors Cyborg, Gaist Crusher, Beast Saga, etc.), but that's extremely doubtful. You'd hope they would at least be able to confirm the fate of Super and the channel, though.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:48 am

Toonami Faithful confirmed that the Asian channel is shutting down this month.

WitlessMass

Post by WitlessMass » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Toonami Faithful confirmed that the Asian channel is shutting down this month.
Man I am seriosuly hoping they don't shut down Toonami India. I mean, the programming is completely different. Toonami India is LITERALLY Boomerang that airs Samurai Jack and Dragon Ball Super. But, they literally haven't added any new programming. Like Zero anime besides DBS. I envy people who have Adult Swim.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:16 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Toonami Faithful confirmed that the Asian channel is shutting down this month.
I think it was already confirmed, but it's always nice to hear it from the horse's mouth. I suppose.

WitlessMass

Post by WitlessMass » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:44 am

Arian wrote:
I think it was already confirmed, but it's always nice to hear it from the horse's mouth. I suppose.
https://twitter.com/toonamiasia/status/ ... 8201716736
The official Toonami Asia page has also confirmed it.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:56 am

So is this dub any good...?
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:24 am

Sailor Haumea wrote:So is this dub any good...?
Not really. It gets a bit better as it goes on, but a lot of the actors are either miscast, or were given bad direction & bad scripts. Similar to FUNi's in-house dub back when it started in 1999, though I doubt that these actors would really fit the characters, outside of a few, over time as well as the FUNi actors have had this dub continued passed episode 27.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:22 am

It's a mixed bag. I'd say half of the casting choices were good, others not so much. All the actors were great but not all fit the roles they were cast in. The dialogue was also accurate a lot of the time but clunky and awkward at others. I'm still going to miss it because I like comparing dubs and seeing how different casts do as Dragon Ball characters, but overall it was decent, just nothing special.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:42 pm

I'd say so, personally. If I had to watch Super dubbed in English then I'd go with this over the FUNimation cast as I prefer Bang Zoom's Gokû, Vegeta and the rest of the characters have VAs that suit them, it's just unfortunate this only aired in India and so it's hard to get the episodes in high quality (or even an official DVD release). Bang Zoom dubs on DVD aren't something I've seen going around.

This dub gets a lot of unfair hate as most just say "FUNimation's dub is better and Bang Zoom dub suckz!". One thing that disappointed me about this dub is that they used the wrong pronounciation of the word Saiyan (like FUNimation does) but that's about it, for me.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

usotsuki

Post by usotsuki » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:21 pm

I still think Wendee Lee's the best English Bulma. (She's also the ORIGINAL English Bulma.)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:35 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
I'd say so, personally. If I had to watch Super dubbed in English then I'd go with this over the FUNimation cast as I prefer Bang Zoom's Gokû, Vegeta and the rest of the characters have VAs that suit them, it's just unfortunate this only aired in India and so it's hard to get the episodes in high quality (or even an official DVD release). Bang Zoom dubs on DVD aren't something I've seen going around.

This dub gets a lot of unfair hate as most just say "FUNimation's dub is better and Bang Zoom dub suckz!". One thing that disappointed me about this dub is that they used the wrong pronounciation of the word Saiyan (like FUNimation does) but that's about it, for me.
Well, Bang Zoom's DB dub being on home media is about as much of a longshot as the Ocean & Blue Water English dubs of the others shows. This alternate dub was, literally, commissioned by Toei specifically for airing in Southeast Asia, just as the rest of the Ocean dub of Z was commissioned by the AB Groupe to air the series with a less expensive exported dub in Europe. None of those are on home media either, which isn't surprising given rights to broadcasts & home media are separate things, plus FUNi's dubs are treated as the official ones by Toei.

In terms of the character's VAs, how do you prefer their Goku & Vegeta? From what I've heard from both of them, Sean Schemmel & Chris Sabat run circles around them as those characters.
And also from what I can tell, FUNi's dub is the superior one out of the 2. The VAs are at the top of their games (with most of the new ones holding their own just fine), the scripts are accurate (some attack names & terminologies that are ingrained into the English dubs at this point that aren't likely to be reverted at any point notwithstanding, as well as maybe some minor funny lines), & the dub pulls no punches with Goku's bastardized characterization. I know that you didn't say that the FUNi dub was bad, but you make it look like people don't have their reasons for not liking Bang Zoom's dub & that they whine like teenagers who don't know how to form coherent arguments. I think you can give FUNi dub fans more credit than you are here, buddy.

And, I get why people want it to be pronounced like it would be in Japanese or is in the other language dubs, but considering how many English words have the "ai" letter combination, I don't think anyone can be faulted for saying it like the English dubs do.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:37 pm

In terms of the character's VAs, how do you prefer their Goku & Vegeta? From what I've heard from both of them, Sean Schemmel & Chris Sabat run circles around them as those characters.
Bang Zoom's Gokû had a Masako-feel to it with his naive, happy-go-lucky voice rather than the somewhat deepened Schemmel Gokû and as for Vegeta, it kind of resembles Horikawa's voice in English although BZ Vegeta also appeared to have tried to impersonate Chris Sabat's Vegeta at the same time.
And, I get why people want it to be pronounced like it would be in Japanese or is in the other language dubs, but considering how many English words have the "ai" letter combination, I don't think anyone can be faulted for saying it like the English dubs do.
FUNimation did say Mankankosappo, Kaioh-ken, Kienzan (?) on their FUNi Kai dub so fixing the error of the Saiyan pronunciation is something they could have also taken care of but didn't, and heck, it's not like the fanbase would be upset about it. Those who're used to the old FUNi dubs would just eventually get used to the accurate, new dubs instead. And FUNi also said Son Gokû but for only for the instance of the scene when Gokû becomes a Super Saiyan on Freeza's arc because everywhere else he's just.. Gokû.

Oh by the way, on the old FUNi Z dub Majin Boo actually said "Super.. Saiya-jin?" which was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScxTnmWXPkE
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:50 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:FUNimation did say Mankankosappo, Kaioh-ken, Kienzan (?) on their Kai dub so fixing the error of the Saiyan pronunciation is something they could have also taken care of but didn't, and heck, it's not like the fanbase would be upset about it.
Yes, but you forget some important things with those.
1. They only said the original attack names once each. Makankōsappō was only said in its first appearance. In the Cell Saga, Res F, & Super, they changed it back to Special Beam Cannon. Kienzan (mispronounced as "Kienzen") was only said once when it first showed up. Taiyoken was reverted to "Solar Flare" by Goku after Krillin used it.
2. "Kaioken" was important to get right in its pronunciation because they still pronounce "Kai" as it would be in Japanese. It's his technique, so reverting it back makes sense if they weren't gonna do anything else.
3. Yes, they would be. You forget the fanbase you're talking about.
SuperCyan2 wrote:Those who're used to the old FUNi dubs would just eventually get used to the accurate, new dubs instead. And FUNi also said Son Gokû but for only for the instance of the scene when Gokû becomes a Super Saiyan on Freeza's arc because everywhere else he's just...Gokû.
You're talking about the DBZ original English dub fandom. A fandom who still defends the terrible original Z dub for whatever their reasons even though pretty much every main actor who's worked on it has admitted it wasn't any good & openly take shots at how they did it back then & get in flame wars about the dumb dub lines, mistranslations, & even the bad casting decisions like Linda Young as Frieza being better over the accurate dubbing of Kai. On top of that, even a lot of the people who prefer Kai don't care about the right pronunciation of "Saiyan." Besides, "Say-an" roles off the tongue better than "Sai-yan," so no harm no foul.
And 4. It was Sean's suggestion that they use "Son Goku." They absolutely refuse to use it elsewhere for whatever reason. They seem scared to use it anywhere else for some reason. Honestly, I really wish they would where it would make sense most at least.
SuperCyan2 wrote:Oh by the way, on the old FUNi Z dub Majin Boo actually said "Super.. Saiya-jin?" which was pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScxTnmWXPkE
I know. I saw that episode years ago & found it to be a cute wink to the Japanese.
However, he still pronounced to as the dub pronounces "Saiyan." If you're insinuating that they add on the "-jin" part of the world, I wouldn't count on it since, as others have stated elsewhere, that part of the word is entirely superfluous to anyone who doesn't speak Japanese natively. It's like "human," though the Japanese word for THAT doesn't even have a "-jin" in it. Some dubs leave it unshortened, while others shorten it like our dub does, but it's not necessary to keep it.
SuperCyan2 wrote:Bang Zoom's Gokû had a Masako-feel to it with his naive, happy-go-lucky voice rather than the somewhat deepened Schemmel Gokû and as for Vegeta, it kind of resembles Horikawa's voice in English although BZ Vegeta also appeared to have tried to impersonate Chris Sabat's Vegeta at the same time.
A grown man trying to go into a higher register that he's unpracticed in over just talking in a consistent voice tone he's comfortable with. That's who would want playing Goku in English? I mean, Nozawa does that because that's how she believes she should voice Goku, but nowhere is it stated that that's how someone should play Goku. Sean nowadays goes into a lighter register when he voices Goku & modifies his voices for the character accordingly, which works for his voice for him. The Bang Zoom dub makes him sound like he's going through perpetual puberty, which does not make for a solid performance of a character a majority of the time.
I won't get into how much I don't particularly like Nozawa's adult Goku, but I don't believe anyone should try to match her 100% as Goku. Why do you think most of the foreign dubs of DB material are allowed to cast a male actor for him? Because no one could take it seriously or it would be annoying. Case in point, this dub's Goku.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Best English dub of Dragon Ball we've had since the Ocean dub of the first three movies by far, despite some of the typical dubisms and the censorship.
Had it's flaws here and there for sure, but definitely captured the spirit of the Japanese version. I certainly never found myself telling the characters to shut up like I do with a certain other English dub of the franchise.
I wouldn't drop the Japanese version for it or anything, but it was fun while it lasted.