"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:26 am

Raphael_Z wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:I blame Roshi for the poor treatment of Krillin and Tien in the ToP on both mediums. It’s clear that they made the later two look bad just so Roshi can look better. Fuck Roshi, shouldn’t be in this tournament and shouldn’t have been in RoF. The 3rd human spot in the human trio rightfully belongs to Yamcha, Roshi can fuck off.
Out of the 3 Earthlings, as shown in the anime at least, Roshi is the only one with the techniques to actually spar with (and potentially defeat) Frost. Even if Krillin wasn't caught off guard in the anime, nothing in Krillin's arsenal could have been a match against Frost, who again, is AT LEAST Namek's Final Form Frieza (and possibly even Perfect Cell Level or more) in terms of power.

And no, even if Krilin had used Solar Flare to blind him, Frost would have been able to sense his ki (or just hear him). And even if Krilin managed to land a hit, it would have been 0 effective against Frost, who again, is REALLY powerful.
Just want to say, that is an extremely low bar for Frost.
The_Destroyer wrote:I blame Roshi for the poor treatment of Krillin and Tien in the ToP on both mediums. It’s clear that they made the later two look bad just so Roshi can look better. Fuck Roshi, shouldn’t be in this tournament and shouldn’t have been in RoF. The 3rd human spot in the human trio rightfully belongs to Yamcha, Roshi can fuck off.

No character is to blame for Krillin and Tien doing nothing. If Toriyama, Toei, and Toyo wanted to do something completely awesome with them, they would have. Roshi being there or not has nothing to do with it and it's really old how fans feel the need to scapegoat a character because their favorite didn't get prefer treatment. It isn't like the writers sat down and went, 'since we're getting Roshi a bunch of shine, we can dump Krillin and Tien'.
Last edited by HeroR on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 am

HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:Kuririn and Tien didn't recieve any build-up for them doing well, Kuririn is stated to be out of touch, and Tien wasn't even recruited on panel. I don't see how people could expect big things from them.

Eliminating two warriors from the get go is a good idea though. It leaves universe 7 with some kind of numbers disadvantage and actually makes the field feel somewhat competitive in comparison to the anime, where universe 7 literally annihilated everyone easily.

Also, hopefully Roshi's out next chapter, espicially considering how closely eliminated they were in conjunction to the anime.

Having early eliminations actually helps create a sense of tension, espicially if they're behind other universes in terms of numbers, or merely neck and neck with them.

In other words, there eliminations do serve a point in progressing and benefitting the story.

Can't pass full judgment yet, but I'm looking forward to it based on the outline.
But the manga fixes everything!

While I agree with most of your points, Toyo could have given them something. They didn't even need to knock out someone, just have them do a rescue of a teammate or something. The way he wrote them here U7 might as well brought Jaco and Monaka.

In the anime, U7 lost someone as early as 98 while U6 kept their full team until 103. In fact, almost everyone had a full team outside of U10 by the time Krillin went out.
Well, 99 was when U7 lost someone, universe 10 was heavily weakened, and universe 4 recieved heavy losses at that point.

I agree, that seeing them fight would or prove even slightly useful for their teammates would be fine, however, whose to say they didn't receive such moments? The manga hasn't been released yet, so I'll wait a little bit.
HeroR wrote:
Raphael_Z wrote:
Out of the 3 Earthlings, as shown in the anime at least, Roshi is the only one with the techniques to actually spar with (and potentially defeat) Frost. Even if Krillin wasn't caught off guard in the anime, nothing in Krillin's arsenal could have been a match against Frost, who again, is AT LEAST Namek's Final Form Frieza (and possibly even Perfect Cell Level or more) in terms of power.

And no, even if Krilin had used Solar Flare to blind him, Frost would have been able to sense his ki (or just hear him). And even if Krilin managed to land a hit, it would have been 0 effective against Frost, who again, is REALLY powerful.
Just want to say, that is an extremely low bar for Frost.
Well, it would make sense(for the Cell thing), since Frost isn't really shown to be that strong even in comparison to just regular Super Saiyan Goku and Vegeta, who to what we've seen, didn't get stupidly stronger in those forms after BOG, with majority of their power seeming to come from the God transformations.
Last edited by JazzMazz on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:33 am

JazzMazz wrote:
But the manga fixes everything!

While I agree with most of your points, Toyo could have given them something. They didn't even need to knock out someone, just have them do a rescue of a teammate or something. The way he wrote them here U7 might as well brought Jaco and Monaka.

In the anime, U7 lost someone as early as 98 while U6 kept their full team until 103. In fact, almost everyone had a full team outside of U10 by the time Krillin went out.
Well, 99 was when U7 lost someone, universe 10 was heavily weakened, and universe 4 recieved heavy losses at that point.

I agree, that seeing them fight would or prove even slightly useful for their teammates would be fine, however, whose to say they didn't receive such moments? The manga hasn't been released yet, so I'll wait a little bit.[/quote]

I honestly forgot U4 and U10 was made as the 'job' universe. But in the manga, I think every universe already took several loses outside of U11. Correct me if I'm wrong. So U7 don't have a number disadvantage.

True.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:14 am

It just doesn't make sense, honestly, how Roshi is now the top one. Apart from the Mafuba, I don't see why he should be able to hold his own against someone at all. They make the whole "strongest earthling" title for Krillin being irrelevant and pointless right now.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:43 am

Frost kicking some serious ass with Freeza is definitely a positive, as it actually shows there partnership resulting in something. Also, it makes far more sense for the two tyrannical assholes to eliminate a universe in comparison to Goku and Vegeta.

I will say though, even though I did enjoy how Frost was handled in 107 of the anime, with him eliminating weakened fighters, I feel like him being more active isn't necessarily a bad thing if they flesh out his relationship with Freeza, instead of Vegeta.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 am

JazzMazz wrote:Frost kicking some serious ass with Freeza is definitely a positive, as it actually shows there partnership resulting in something. Also, it makes far more sense for the two tyrannical assholes to eliminate a universe in comparison to Goku and Vegeta.

I will say though, even though I did enjoy how Frost was handled in 107 of the anime, with him eliminating weakened fighters, I feel like him being more active isn't necessarily a bad thing if they flesh out his relationship with Freeza, instead of Vegeta.
Yeah that is at least a positive making this chapters less horrible just frustrating.I will wait for the leaks to see how the execution is but hearing this makes me happy, maybe we will get a better ribrianne and Toppo at a cost of two classic characters.
Mostly active on discord.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:04 am

dragonball0900 wrote:It just doesn't make sense, honestly, how Roshi is now the top one. Apart from the Mafuba, I don't see why he should be able to hold his own against someone at all. They make the whole "strongest earthling" title for Krillin being irrelevant and pointless right now.
It wasn't like Roshi was taking on the powerhouses. He purposely fought people within his level and had gimmicks that could harm the team of meatheads. The moment Roshi went against someone way out of his league, he got smashed.
JazzMazz wrote:Frost kicking some serious ass with Freeza is definitely a positive, as it actually shows there partnership resulting in something. Also, it makes far more sense for the two tyrannical assholes to eliminate a universe in comparison to Goku and Vegeta.

While it's true Vegeta taking out U9 didn't make a lot of story sense in the anime, it did for Goku since U9 had a personal grudge against Goku and even said they would personally wipe U7 out. That and the whole Freeza assassin thing. In the manga, it wouldn't make sense for U9 to attack U7 since they never fought.
Kanassa wrote:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:17 am

HeroR wrote: While it's true Vegeta taking out U9 didn't make a lot of story sense in the anime, it did for Goku since U9 had a personal grudge against Goku and even said they would personally wipe U7 out. That and the whole Freeza assassin thing. In the manga, it wouldn't make sense for U9 to attack U7 since they never fought.
Yeah Gohan would have fullfilled the role better than Vegeta in that episode which is even weirder that we see Gohan tangling with the trio here despite having 0 history with them :? .
Mostly active on discord.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:40 am

Gee, what was I thinking looking forward to Kuririn and Tenshinhan. :problem:

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:40 am

I seem to be the only one who loves what Toyo did with the humans. :lol: It adds a touch more realism when our fodder can be eliminated as easily as another universes fodder. I actually wouldn’t mind if one of our strong ones also got eiliminated a touch early if they got caught by surprise.

Anyway, even though I do like how easily it seems Ten and Krillin got knocked out, (I mean they were up against somebody who is a lot stronger than Freeza from the Freeza arc, and we know how an in form Kuririn was handled there, along with Gohan, Piccolo and Vegeta) shit like this happening highlights that Goten and Trunks shoulda been there. In fact it annoys me that we had no other reasonably powerful alien.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:37 am

I feel like this really highlights the difference in approach between Toei and Toyo. We had that interview with the producers last week where they made a point to say that Toriyama included the humans on the list instead of stronger characters Goten and Trunks, meaning (in their interpretation) they had to come up with creative ways to utilise these weaker characters and make their inclusions worthwhile.

Toyo meanwhile? "Meh, to the grinders with 'em!"

I'll be frank, I like Toei's take more. I've seen some praising the closer adherence to power levels, but that doesn't make a story better. That was always the worst thing about Dragon Ball Z, it shouldn't be held as something worth preserving. The show had the right idea with the humans, even Tien. It's as simple as having them use some of their creative techniques (most of which were rendered moot by power creep back in the day) to rack up a couple of wins and justify their appearance before they inevitably get smoked.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:00 am

So the manga doesn't feel like a battle royale at all. The anime had some great teamworks.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:03 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Xeogran wrote:Disappointing how both Toei and Toyo gave them no love, despite the ToP poster showing them in a cool light. False hype..
Krillin and Tien got something in the anime. In the manga, they got outright jobbed out before they could do anything.
But that's the problem with the anime: its more and more about fanservice and letting characters get a moment t shine--because of hype. Because it'll have people talking about it rather than promoting any sort of cohesive storytelling.

I'd rather have those badass moments earned than just a gimmie to placate fan boys.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:16 am

Krillin and Tien wasted.
So much for the "Toyo-sensei will fix ERRYTHING, fuck TOEI".

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:59 am

I almost never comment on a chapter until its out in full, and i'm most definitely not the "oh it did not happen the way I wanted it to, so it sucks" type of fan.

But i will say, i really did like the way Frost held a grudge against Vegeta from the beating he received in the Universe 6 tournament. Looks like that won't be explored in the this chapter.
"Oh dear...."

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:17 am

I think the reason Krillin and Tien were given zero shit is that Akira/Toei/Toyotaro simply think that the fans don't like them., and they are waste of time. Perhaps they think of what would make the fans satisfied (which is more Goku and Vegeta as they believe), and not what would be good writing. This is not too related, but it kinds of remind me when BoZ director was asked "Why you didn't include GT characters" and he simply said I thought no one like GT or something like that lol.

On the other hand, Roshi is obviously there for nostalgia reasons.

TajinRice

Post by TajinRice » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:40 am

OverHeaven wrote:I think the reason Krillin and Tien were given zero shit is that Akira/Toei/Toyotaro simply think that the fans don't like them., and they are waste of time. Perhaps they think of what would make the fans satisfied (which is more Goku and Vegeta as they believe), and not what would be good writing. This is not too related, but it kinds of remind me when BoZ director was asked "Why you didn't include GT characters" and he simply said I thought no one like GT or something like that lol.

If that was the case they would have just put Goten and Trunks. maybe its time fans express their interest in these characters and send a strong message. Tweet out to Toyotaro

TajinRice

Post by TajinRice » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:41 am

OverHeaven wrote:I think the reason Krillin and Tien were given zero shit is that Akira/Toei/Toyotaro simply think that the fans don't like them., and they are waste of time. Perhaps they think of what would make the fans satisfied (which is more Goku and Vegeta as they believe), and not what would be good writing. This is not too related, but it kinds of remind me when BoZ director was asked "Why you didn't include GT characters" and he simply said I thought no one like GT or something like that lol.

If that was the case they would have just put Goten and Trunks. maybe its time fans express their interest in these characters and send a strong message. Tweet out to Toyotaro

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:51 am

TajinRice wrote:

That is a horribly immature and petty thing to do.

It was petty when fans bashed the anime staff, and its petty now.

I think people that do this seriously need to reflect on their actions and grow up.

EDIT: Not to mention, its a completely idiotic thing to do.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:23 am

I kinda expected that for krillin,but not for tenshinhan.Now,looking at both versions I would say again that a battle royale with eighty unintroduced warriors at once was a bad idea from beginning.Even,one piece does not do it.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball