Is listening to dbz tracks on youtube illegal/stealing?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Is listening to dbz tracks on youtube illegal/stealing?

Post by ssj4 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:55 pm

Is listening to game tracks or others such as solid state scouter(which has of millions of views) considered stealing/illegal?

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Is listening to dbz tracks on youtube illegal/stealing?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Are you worried the blue boys are gonna knock on your door? Don't. Listening to music and watching videos won't get you arrested as the content on YouTube is permitted by its original authors (companies, creators) as they are being monetized or a way to promote the product.

I'd say that it's somewhat of a gray area but don't worry about it. :wink:
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Am I doing copyright infringement?

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:11 am

ssj4 wrote:Am I doing copyright infringement?
Technically the uploader is the one infringing copyright, if the original creators aren't permitting him/her to upload it on YouTube.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:24 am

(I am not a lawyer.)

If a piece of intellectual property has been duplicated and exists in a format other than one originally created and distributed by its rights holders, and there was no explicit permission for this new version to exist, that is copyright infringement and is illegal with respect to laws generally accepted throughout most of the world.

With regard to YouTube specifically, content owners can enter into an arrangement with YouTube (the Content ID system) to flag material that they own. This material can then either be removed entirely, kept with ads placed on it that then go back to the actual/original rights owner, or no action may be taken at all.

Just because something exists on YouTube does not mean that it has been approved by its original rights holders. Not all rights holders enter into agreements with YouTube, and not all rights holders actively seek out and police all unauthorized duplication of their work. Unlike trademark law, they are not required to go after copyrighted material in order to maintain their ownership.

If something you know to be a company's piece of intellectual property has been re-uploaded by a random user, and if that piece of content had ads placed against it, and if that piece of content and its ads have an accurate attribution to the owners in the text below, you can feel comfortable as a viewer that the original owner has implicitly/explicitly "OK"-ed the existence of this otherwise-duplicated content.

In general terms, the International Copyright Police Force is not coming to bust down your door because you listened to "Solid State Scouter" someone uploaded nine years ago on a YouTube channel that has not been claimed and monetized. However, the original uploader is primarily responsible for the copyright infringement. YouTube plays along with something called "Safe Harbor" where they exist as a service rather than a concerted curation system (which many copyright holders would argue), meaning they are generally not liable so long as they take action against an upload or account when notified by the appropriate rights holder.

As the end-user listening to the file, that's the most hazy out there, and I'm not aware of any precedent for a rights holder going after a general listener/consumer, rather than the one doing the uploading in the first place.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:26 pm

A few points:

1. Am I being complicit/doing copyright infringement?

2. For youtube, I have read the following:

the whole point of YouTube is to watch videos, which often include music. It can be safely assumed that if it's on YouTube and hasn't been taken down by the composer, there's nothing illegal

and this: It is carefully monitored by YouTube's algorithms with the copyright owner notified. If they then choose not to get it taken down, you, and the uploader are definitely in the clear.

3. Is this considered ok if the user puts this:
OST title: "Justice - Park Avenue"

Sonic Forces music that has been extended to play for at least 15.5 minutes.

Composer(s): Tomoya Ohtani, Naofumi Hataya, Kenichi Tokoi, Takahito Eguchi
Arranger(s): Takahito Eguchi, Yutaka Minobe

Developer(s): Sonic Team
Publisher(s): Sega

Purchase, pre-order, and/or download this game here: https://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/soni...
Purchase and/or download the album for this game here: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WWCE...

or this:
NOTE: I own the commercial use and rights to this content and can share it on Youtube because I own a copy of the original soundtrack. Uploading this video is an act of sharing this work. Sharing involves uploading and managing my video on this platform. This soundtrack is generally available on Youtube for entertainment and sharing purposes. This video is uploaded for entertainment purposes and with the intent to share this soundtrack with fans of the Dragon Ball Z series. The Dragon Ball Z series is a popular franchise, with its music, games, and shows shared widely on Youtube. Although the music is creation of the composer, Kenji Yamamoto, I own the rights to free use and sharing of the entire soundtrack, including this individual track, "Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 1 OST - Battle Theme #3 (Move Forward Fearlessly)," therefore I own the rights to commercial use and sharing.

and what if says this:
License
Standard YouTube License

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:43 pm

The long and short of it is:

Literally everything you wrote/cited in the post above this is incorrect and has no basis in legal reality other than asking if you are complicit in copyright infringement (which, yes, technically you are).
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 pm

From my perspective, the legal action would lie more with the uploader of the video than it would with anyone watching. A company will make a copyright claim or strike on the uploader if they feel the need, but they don't send fines to every viewer who ever clicked onto the video (which YouTube would have data for). If a copyright owner doesn't want people watching the video (as with Viacom) then they'd get the video removed.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:45 am

VegettoEX wrote:The long and short of it is:

Literally everything you wrote/cited in the post above this is incorrect and has no basis in legal reality other than asking if you are complicit in copyright infringement (which, yes, technically you are).
Vegetto, you said this:

If something you know to be a company's piece of intellectual property has been re-uploaded by a random user, and if that piece of content had ads placed against it, and if that piece of content and its ads have an accurate attribution to the owners in the text below, you can feel comfortable as a viewer that the original owner has implicitly/explicitly "OK"-ed the existence of this otherwise-duplicated content.

So, I was wondering, if I what listened to has the text I included fall into this, does it mean I can feel comfortable as a viewer that the owener has ok'ed the existence of the music?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:38 am

In an era when everything does effectively exist on the internet, this is something that — adults and children alike — seem to have incredible difficulty understanding:

Just because something exists on the internet does not mean it is there legally.

That means music on YouTube, that means images on this very website, that means text in articles, etc.

Copyright owners are under no obligation to actively police every website on the internet for copies of their works to still be entitled to the full legal protection of those works. This includes YouTube. No, just because a song exists on YouTube does not inherently mean that the company/organization/owner is aware of it and/or has given explicit permission for it to exist there. They do not have to go through every YouTube listing and piecemeal demand things be taken down for them to still own that material, still have protection for that material, etc.

Many companies choose to work with YouTube and their Content ID system to algorithmically seek out protected works and claim them. This can then take the form of removal requests, advertisements being placed on them, etc... this is everything I already explained.

If for your conscience you want reassurance that you are legally listening to material on YouTube, everything is generally hunky-dory and approved by all necessary parties if in fact there is a claim on that material by its legitimate rights-holder.

Here is a posting of "Solid State Scouter". This video/audio has not been claimed by any rights holders, and despite its 7.5 million views, this does not somehow make it legal or sanctioned. (Also, hilariously, it uses an image that I personally scanned back around 2001 or so, because my dumb old "VegEX" watermark is down in the bottom-right).

Here is a posting of "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA". Note the ads placed against it, and note the recommendations from Toei. This is an example of a video that has clearly been claimed by its rights-holders.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Just because something exists on the internet does not mean it is there legally.
Well, that's obvious.
VegettoEX wrote:Copyright owners are under no obligation to actively police every website on the internet for copies of their works to still be entitled to the full legal protection of those works. This includes YouTube. No, just because a song exists on YouTube does not inherently mean that the company/organization/owner is aware of it and/or has given explicit permission for it to exist there. They do not have to go through every YouTube listing and piecemeal demand things be taken down for them to still own that material, still have protection for that material, etc.
For example, this forum has a Fan-Created Works and folks on that section share full audio files of Dragon Ball episodes among other things but somehow that's permitted here. I don't get it, the staff is anti-piracy but then allows this. I personally see the pros and cons of piracy so I'm not against the Fan-Created Works category but seems hypocritical that only in that area are people allowed to share downloadable content.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Me explaining the law is not the same thing as me explaining my nuanced, personal feelings on the state of copyright.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:06 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Me explaining the law is not the same thing as me explaining my nuanced, personal feelings on the state of copyright.
Did you get my PM clarifying things?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:36 pm

ssj4 wrote:Did you get my PM clarifying things?
I'm going to respond here because you somewhat keep asking the same or similar things over and over:

You can't just acknowledge that someone else made something and that suddenly makes everything OK and legal. That's not how the law works.

People type all sorts of nonsense like "uploading this is protected under fair use" and "all rights belong to their owners". That's... absolutely nothing. There's no protection there.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:51 pm

Just watch the videos. This is absolutely silly...

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:57 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Are you worried the blue boys are gonna knock on your door? Don't. Listening to music and watching videos won't get you arrested as the content on YouTube is permitted by its original authors (companies, creators) as they are being monetized or a way to promote the product.

Am I being complicit in copyright by listening?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:34 pm

ssj4 wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:Are you worried the blue boys are gonna knock on your door? Don't. Listening to music and watching videos won't get you arrested as the content on YouTube is permitted by its original authors (companies, creators) as they are being monetized or a way to promote the product.
No.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:16 pm

ssj4 wrote:

No you are not
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:40 pm

Am I encouraging piracy?

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:01 am

ssj4 wrote:Am I encouraging piracy?
No.
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090