With Super over, what are your top 10 episodes

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

With Super over, what are your top 10 episodes

Post by DHM211 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Everything posted below is my opinion.
1) 130 - "The Greatest Showdown of All Time! The Ultimate Survival Battle!!"

[spoiler]Image

Pros:
- Easily the best animated piece of Dragon Ball material, surpassing any movie, episode or special before it.
- In addition to phenomenal animation, the art is some of the best Dragon Ball has seen as well.
-Non stop action, with minor input from the peanut gallery.
-Fantastic storyboarding.
-Nice reanimated flashback showing all of Goku’s once enemies that are now allies.
-This episode arguably gives Jiren more character development than all previous episodes combined.

Cons:
-Not using DBZ Kai’s insert song “let it burn” while the arena was on fire is disappointing.
-Hard to believe this entire episode took place in 30 seconds.
-Why did Mastered Ultra Instinct lose the “Roar” that Omen had?[/spoiler]

2) 109/110 - “This is the Universes Ultimate Battle! Son Goku vs Jiren!!”

[spoiler]Image
Pros:
-One of Dragon Balls best animated installments.
-Fantastic storyboarding.
-My favorite soundtrack placement for any of Super’s episodes.
-Episode 109 flows in 110 seamlessly, making this feel more like a movie than a double episode.
-Heavy throwbacks to the Frieza saga with Goku using (Blue)Kio-ken X20, then using the spirit bomb, then getting a new form.
-Ultra Instinct Omen’s transformation is Super’s best, and is the best transformation since Goku went Super Saiyan on Namek.
-Best use of the insert song Ultimate Battle.
-Yuya Takahashi’s Buu saga era art style makes it’s debut.
-Nice cliffhanger ending.

Cons:
-Despite being well animated, the first 5 minutes with Ribrianne drag on for too long.
-Some instances of iffy art in the first half, epically around the spirit bomb scene.
-Far too many instances of the peanut gallery giving unnecessary commentary.[/spoiler]

3) 95 - "The Worst! The Most Evil! Frieza's Rampage!!"
[spoiler]Image
Pros:
-Beautifully animated.
-Better than the entirety of Resurrection ‘F’(both arc and movie).
-Frieza no longer acting like he’s terrified of Beerus is a plus.
-A lot of fun watching Frieza torture the assassins and try to kill Goku.
-Ending builds up the hype for the tournament.

Cons:
-Not using the insert song “Frieza” by maximum the hormone at some point in this episode is a let down.
-How was Frieza able to master his golden form while he was trapped in a cocoon in hell?[/spoiler]

4) 66 - "The Climactic Battle! The Miraculous Power of a Relentless Warrior!"

[spoiler]Image
Pros:
-One of Supers best animated episodes.
-Vegetto’s return.
-Future Trunks taking the win is a nice touch.
-Good use of Kai TFC soundtracks for Vegetto’s return.
-From a visual perspective, amazing ending scene. Possibly the best way Super has ended an episode.

Cons:
-Power scaling, even by Super’s standards, makes no sense.
-Why bring Vegetto back if he’s only going to get ~5 minutes of screen time?
-Easily enough content in this episode that it could have been two.[/spoiler]

5) 131 - "The Miraculous Conclusion! Farewell, Goku! Until We Meet Again!"

[spoiler]Image
Pros:
-Fantastic storyboarding/direction
-Continuing on from episode 130, more character development from Jiren.
-Considering how episodes 14,27,41, and 67(all of Supers other arc endings) looked, and the fact that the previous episode was a powerhouse, this episode actually look really good.
-Great music placement.
-Great use of Limit Break x Survivor.
-I like that UI isn’t something Goku can use at will.

Cons:
- Ending wish was kinda obvious since the beginning of the tournament[/spoiler]

6) 47 - "SOS from the Future: A Dark New Enemy Appears!"

[spoiler]Pros:
-Amazing kickoff for an amazing arc.
-Finally, Super has tension.
-Introduction of new soundtrack pieces are on point.
-Fantastic reveal of Black at the end.
-Very fluid episode.

Cons:
-Art, for the most part, is sub par. Why does future Trunks look like he’s 14?
-Every Scene that takes place in the present timeline screams “filler we needed to make this episode 23 minutes”.[/spoiler]

7) 48 - "Hope! Redux. Awaken in the Present, Trunks"
[spoiler]Image
Pros:
-Amazing opening for an episode.
-Goku Black’s character acting is fantastic.
Goku Black vs future Trunks is an amazing fight that is underrated.
-End of the episode shows how traumatized future Trunks is after this whole ordeal.

Cons:
While the beginning and ending of this episode are great, the middle of the episode drags on.
-Any scene with kid Trunks and the Pilaf gang is very tedious to get through.
-Art is sub-par in the second half of the episode.[/spoiler]

8 ) 56 - "A Rematch With Goku Black! Enter Super Saiyan Rosé”
[spoiler]Image
Pros:
-Once again, Goku Black is a fantastic character.
-The entirety of this episode is enjoyable, with no lulls between.
-At this point, Rosé is Super’s best transformation.
-Goku Black’s various speeches in the episode are great, especially his post Rosé transformation one.
-Aesthetically, Rosé is far better than Blue, especially the aura.
-Goku Black clearly overpowering Goku and Vegeta creates tension.
-Amazing twist to end an episode on.
-Fantastic placement of Soundtrack.

Cons:
-Art is iffy at times.
-I understand Super isn’t keen on blood, but having Vegeta have a hole in his chest yet no blood comes out? Unbelievable.[/spoiler]

9) 70 - "Champa's Challenge! This Time We Fight with Baseball!!"
[spoiler]Image
Pros:
-Perhaps the funniest episode in all of Dragon Ball.
-Yamcha being the hero of an episode.
-Great callback to the Saiyan saga at the end.
-Bloodiest Super episode by far.

Cons: [/spoiler]

10) 1 - "A Peacetime Reward: Who Gets the 100,000,000 Zeni?!"
[spoiler]Image
Pros:
-One of Super’s best episodes (pre Future Trunks arc)
-Built a feeling of excitement for a new series.
-By early Super standards, it looks very polished.

Cons:
-“Very polished” does mean following Yamamuro’s character designs sheets, which, unfortunately, is the best Super looked at that point in the series.[/spoiler]

IM21
Banned

Re: With Super over, what are your top 10 episodes

Post by IM21 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:47 pm

can't really say it from the top of my head, but I like your list and most of the episodes are probably in my top 10. I love that you included the baseball episode which was also one of my favorites. I'd probably put the Goku vs Hit ending in there and perhaps one of the Goku vs Beerus fighting episodes.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:57 pm

Not in any particular order but the one's that stand out to me our.

The final two episodes, Freeza and Goku at Baba's Palace, Goku going UI Omen the first time, UI Goku vs Kafla, Goku and Kuriren training in that mirage place, the baseball episode, the episode Gohan and Freeza teamed up, the episode Goku went SSJB + KK for the first time vs Hit, and maybe the SSJB Vegeto vs Zamasu/Black SSJR episode.

Those are the ones that stick out.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:31 am

I'd have to go through them all again. I can't rank them so I'll just put them in the order they came out.

1. Episode 14 - I believe the one where Goku and Beerus' fight comes to a close. It's the one where Goku is fighting mostly as a Super Saiyan.

2. Episode 47 - The first episode of the Future Trunks saga.

3. Episode 57 - The episode where Goku and Trunks fight back to back against Black and Zamasu.

4. Episode 66 - The episode with Vegito Blue and Trunks splitting Zamasu in half.

5. Episode 90 - The one where Goku spars with Gohan. That one really came out of nowhere for me.

6. Episode 104 - The episode where Hit fights Dyspo.

7. Episode 109 - First of the two part special.

8. Episode 110 - Second of the two part special.

9. Episode 116 - The episode where Goku defeats Kefla.

10. Episode 130 - The Mastered Ultra Instinct episode.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:21 am

I started with the Tournament of Power and most of my favorites are from this arc. It is mostly because I was not a fan of the previous arcs in the anime adaptation. I prefer the manga's take on the Future Trunks Arc and U6 Arc

My top 8 list: (Don't have enough time to do 10)

08) Dragon Ball Super Episode 109 - "The Ultimate Enemy Approaches Goku! Now, Let Loose! The Killer Spirit Bomb!!"
Dragon Ball Super Episode 110 - "Son Goku Wakes! New Level of the Awakened!!"

07) Dragon Ball Super Episode 125 -"With Imposing Presence! God of Destruction Toppo Descends!!"

06) Dragon Ball Super Episode 77 - "Let's Do It, Zen-Oh! The All-Universe Martial Arts Tournament!!"

05) Dragon Ball Super Episode 114 - "Intimidating Passion! The Birth of a New Super Warrior!!"

04) Dragon Ball Super Episode 107 - "Revenge ‘F’! The Cunning Trap?!"

03) Dragon Ball Super Episode 118 - "Accelerated Tragedy Vanishing Universes..."

02) Dragon Ball Super Episode 131 - "The Miraculous Conclusion! Farewell, Goku! Until We Meet Again!"

01) Dragon Ball Super Episode 95 - "The Worst! The Most Evil! Frieza's Rampage!"

Reasons below for anyone interested:

Dragon Ball Super Episode 77 - "Let's Do It, Zen-Oh! The All-Universe Martial Arts Tournament!!"
[spoiler]Image
Thoughts: This was my first episode of Super that I watched after refusing to watch it because of the episodes prior looked unappealing to me. Surprisingly, it was the beginning of the Tournament of Power, and all I can say is that with this being the first episode after a while of missing out on Super really sparked my interest again. It felt like actual Dragon Ball mixed in with Z and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Pros:
-Great introduction to Zen-Oh
-Goku having a job. Actual Character Development. It's also having a negative impact on his training.
-Goku's playfulness against the weak Earthlings.
-Goku and Goten time. Trunks and Goten Time
-Bulma having a BABY! Story Progression!
-Beerus attempting to use Hakai on Goku was such an intense moment.

Cons:
-Bit of a drag to be honest but each moment felt enjoyable.
-The reference to Raditz catching a bullet and throwing it back at the shooter. Not a fan of these.

Rating: 8/10[/spoiler]

Dragon Ball Super Episode 95 - "The Worst! The Most Evil! Frieza's Rampage!"
[spoiler]Image
Thoughts: This episode had me fall in love with Frieza. I was always a fan of his but his return in Resurrection F was so painfully lackluster. This episode should have been named The True Resurrection of F because this 20 min episode does a better job than the whole damn movie.

Pros:
-Frieza going on his killing spree really showed how he is the same psychopath he was always was and that he may be trouble for Universe 7 in the tournament.
-Great usage of old characters such as Baba and her Spirits.
-The Tension in this episode is so great.
-The clash at the end was beautiful, as well as the animation in the entire episode.
-The idea of recruiting people from other universes was interesting.

Cons:
-There are none.

Rating: 10/10[/spoiler]

Dragon Ball Super Episode 107 - "Revenge ‘F’! The Cunning Trap?!"
[spoiler]Image
Thoughts: This was the beginning of my interest in Frost, a character that I thought was unneccesary but this episode quickly changed my mind. His scheming was so great and I feel he gives off more charisma than even Frieza. Magetta and Roshi were so well used in this episode that I wish they stayed much longer than expected.

Pros:
-The transition from Frost in the U6 Realm to the Tournament was very engaging. The explosion in the background signified that there are so many battles still going on all around the tournament.
-The battle with Maji Kayo was well storyboarded. His powers are fascinating.
-Roshi using the mafuuba on Frost was such a great idea. Frost being so scared was hilarious.
-Battle with Vegeta vs Magetta and Frost was magnificent.
-I may not be a fan of references to old moves, but the Mafuuba Reversal was rather interesting in this episode. I think it all depends on execution when it comes to that.
-Frost getting the upperhand on Vegeta was very unexpected.
-Great direction, great writing.

Cons:
-Jiren one-shotting Maji Kayo with the wind coming from his fist was boring. We've seen that done already, I'm actually tired of seeing moves being redone over and over as references.
-This episode didn't give us enough of Frost even though it was meant to be his episode.
-Sadly the episodes prior made Roshi's Mafuuba less exciting.

Rating: 8.5/10[/spoiler]

Dragon Ball Super Episode 109 - "The Ultimate Enemy Approaches Goku! Now, Let Loose! The Killer Spirit Bomb!!"

[spoiler]Image
Thoughts: I count these two as the same since they're both part of the special but the streaming services split them. Episode 110 feels like a masterpiece but 109 drags it down for me.

Pros:
-The battle between Goku and Ribrianne was beautifully animated. Onishi is such a great addition to the animation staff.
-Goku vs Jiren in Episode 110 was much better compared to 109.
-Great Introduction to Ultra Instinct.
-THAT THEME SONG IS SUCH AN EARGASM.
-The ending was great as well, with Goku running out of power and Hit coming to save him afterwards.

Cons:
-The first fight with Jiren vs Goku was uninteresting overall. Very boring.
-The Spirit Bomb felt unneccesary in this episode. I think they just wanted to make Jiren seem as impossible as ever. I'd rather Goku saved something like this for a fight like Anilaza.

Rating: 7.5/10[/spoiler]

Dragon Ball Super Episode 114 - "Intimidating Passion! The Birth of a New Super Warrior!!"
[spoiler]Image
Thoughts: Yuya Takahashi's art is the work of gods. Following the Buu Era art style was so great to see again. It's sort of made me become one of the toxic fans that's begun to despise Yamamuro's influence on the Franchise's Art Style. This episode had really great storyboarding and direction.

Pros:
-Yuya Takahashi's art in this episode was phenomenal.
-SSG Goku amazed me with how he was able to defeat Berserker Kale and SSJ2 Caulifla easily.
-Loved the return of Potara Fusion with other characters besides Goku and Vegeta. Kefla's reveal was an amazing ending for this episode.
-The music choice in this episode flows so well.

Cons:
-Most of the art that wasn't Takahashi's made the episode feel less intense because of it. He pretty much stole the spotlight for most of the animators. However there was one mroe animator that did the segment with Frieza and Katopesla that goes really well with Takahashi's art.
-Some of the action was a bit boring. Goku became too OP all of a sudden even though he's lost of a lot of stamina.

Rating: 8.5/10[/spoiler]

Dragon Ball Super Episode 118 - "Accelerated Tragedy Vanishing Universes..."
[spoiler]Image
Thoughts: I've been waiting for Gohan and Piccolo to get their own episodes in fighting against the U6 Namekians. The long wait was worth it. We ended up getting such a fantastic episode in the long run.

Pros:
-The Last 3 U2 Fighters were hilarious. Their transformation into Magical Boys had me dying of laughter.
-Android 18 and 17 playing around with U2 was great along with Goku's random "Hi I'm Goku".
-Gohan and Piccolo vs the U6 Namekians was intense and made it seem as if they would have been overpowered, but in the end, the two prevailed.
-Multiple Universes in one episode is unexpected and I liked how this was executed. The way the 2 universes acted before they were erased were very touching. It was sad to see them both go.
-Great usage of Sumitomo's tracks in this episode as well.

Cons:
-Very slow pace.
-Goku going Blue after HAVING HIS DAMN STAMINA DRAINED. Very inconsistent but nonetheless acceptable due to how well the episode was directed,

Rating: 9/10[/spoiler]

Dragon Ball Super Episode 125 -"With Imposing Presence! God of Destruction Toppo Descends!!"
[spoiler]Image
Thoughts: This episode was great when compared to 123 and 124. Those episodes were boring compared to this one. Toppo got some long-needed development. He was somewhat ignored and used mostly for gags. However this episode and 122 with his fight against 17 and Gohan really did him.. dare i say.. "JUSTICEEEE"

Pros:
-Toppo vs Android 17 was very intense and thrilling to watch.
-Frieza's interference was expected, however I didn't realize til now how disgusted Frieza could be with Toppo's nonsensical ramblings about Justice.
-Although it's come out of nowhere, Toppo's transformation was very exciting to watch. It established great tension for how powerful both he and Jiren are even though it is 2:4.
-Frieza getting cocky over Toppo's Hakai really establishes that tension ^as well as Toppo breaking the stage in half.
-Frieza getting bitch'd at the end was such a spectacular scene.

Cons:
-Toppo's reasoning for giving up on justice comes out of nowhere. It would have been better if it were hinted prior to this episode.
-Bad special effects. Each Ki blast looked like it was made with MS Paint using the circle.
-The progession was a bit too slow and Android 17 running away in the second half of the fightis a bit unneccesary imo.

Rating: 8/10[/spoiler]

Dragon Ball Super Episode 131 - "The Miraculous Conclusion! Farewell, Goku! Until We Meet Again!"
[spoiler]Image
Thoughts: A great ending for Super. I didn't think it would end this well. I was beginning to doubt the ending after 130 but this episode imo almost amends for all of Super's mistakes. This episode had me crying at the end. This episode was well directed, well written, well storyboarded, with superb animation as well!

Pros:
-They EXPLAIN why Frieza can do so well against Jiren. He's exhausted! But not exhausted enough1!
-Finally made use of his telekinetic powers again!
-So much tension in this one episode.
-Great usage of Sumitomo's music once again.
-Goku returning to help his comrades in this last battle was great along with the return of his seriousness that we haven't seen in a while barring 130. It was Goku done right! Childish but at the same time is serious about the situation that is unfolding.
-Goku, Frieza and 17 vs. Jiren was such a great, well choreographed fight. Much better than Episode 130 imo. Flashy animation doesn't justify awful writing. This episode had great animation AND great writing.
-The ending of the fight with SSJ Goku and Frieza is another fanservice but it was executed so well that you just have to enjoy it. You would have neve thought Frieza and Goku would be working together.
-The way the Super Dragon Balls and it's Dragon appeared was so enticing as if it were my first time seeing the dragon again.
-Everybody got their own endings which was great! I loved seeing this!! I actually wish we saw something like Vegeta visiting Planet Sadala at least.

Cons:
-More time was definitely needed to give this series a proper ending. However what we got was acceptable.
-The ending was just overall fanservice with Vegeta and Goku posing the same in the saiayn saga. Getting real tired of it ngl. However it can be ignored, the entire episode makes it bearable.

Rating: 9.5/10[/spoiler]

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:00 pm

It'd be hard to put these in order so I'm just going to put them in the order they were released in.

Episode 39 : Goku uses the Kaioken against Hit.

Episode 47 : Goku Black's introduction.

Episodes 56 & 57 : Ssj Rose & The Saiyans vs Black.

Episode 63 : Vegeta puts Black in his place.

Episode 66 : Vegetto's return.

Episode 105 : Roshi reminds us why he's the master.

Episodes 109&110 : Goku vs Jiren round 1.

Episode 123 : Vegeta goes beyond Blue.

Episode 126 : Vegeta surpasses a destroyer.

Episodes 130 & 131 : Goku vs Jiren round 2.

Honorable mention, Episode 27 : fixed RF's ending.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Exline wrote:I started with the Tournament of Power and most of my favorites are from this arc. It is mostly because I was not a fan of the previous arcs in the anime adaptation. I prefer the manga's take on the Future Trunks Arc and U6 Arc

My top 8 list: (Don't have enough time to do 10)

08) Dragon Ball Super Episode 109 - "The Ultimate Enemy Approaches Goku! Now, Let Loose! The Killer Spirit Bomb!!"

07) Dragon Ball Super Episode 125 -"With Imposing Presence! God of Destruction Toppo Descends!!"

06) Dragon Ball Super Episode 77 - "Let's Do It, Zen-Oh! The All-Universe Martial Arts Tournament!!"

05) Dragon Ball Super Episode 114 - "Intimidating Passion! The Birth of a New Super Warrior!!"

04) Dragon Ball Super Episode 107 - "Revenge ‘F’! The Cunning Trap?!"

03) Dragon Ball Super Episode 118 - "Accelerated Tragedy Vanishing Universes..."

02) Dragon Ball Super Episode 131 - "The Miraculous Conclusion! Farewell, Goku! Until We Meet Again!"

01) Dragon Ball Super Episode 95 - "The Worst! The Most Evil! Frieza's Rampage!"
Funnily enough, I did a top 10 list of the Universal Survival arc and our lists are very similar!
No order:
109/110
sintzu wrote: Honorable mention, Episode 27 : fixed RF's ending.
Solid list, just curious what you meant by this. From what I remember, isn't 27 basically the same ending as the movie just stretched out?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:15 pm

DHM211 wrote:Curious what you meant by this. From what I remember, isn't 27 basically the same ending as the movie just stretched out?
Sorbet shot Goku after he dropped out of Blue.
Vegeta saved Goku instead of standing there watching Freeza nearly kill him.
They explain how Vegeta got Blue.
Vegeta's fight was longer.
Freeza blowing up the planet had more of an effect like showing everyone die and the music that played with it.
We got a nice little ending with everyone celebrating their victory instead of things just ending right after Goku kills Freeza.

It's nothing that'll make or break RF for anyone but I thought it was a nice improvement. It's easily my favorite episode from the retellings as it fixed the only thing I though was wrong with the movies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:20 pm

sintzu wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Curious what you meant by this. From what I remember, isn't 27 basically the same ending as the movie just stretched out?
Sorbet shot Goku after he dropped out of Blue.
Vegeta saved Goku instead of standing there watching Freeza nearly kill him.
They explain how Vegeta got Blue.
Vegeta's fight was longer.
Freeza blowing up the planet had more of an effect like showing everyone die and the music that played with it.
We got a nice little ending with everyone celebrating their victory instead of things just ending right after Goku kills Freeza.

It's nothing that'll make or break RF for anyone but I thought it was a nice improvement. It's easily my favorite episode from the retellings as it fixed the only thing I though was wrong with the movies.
Fair enough. I forgot about most of that tbh.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:29 pm

1. Episode 116
This was the fight of the tournament for me, and it's easily the episode of Super I have rewatched the most. While not initially caring for Kefla as a character, this episode almost makes you feel bad for her with how much she gets smacked around. I had my doubts that they would be able to make UI feel as special as it did in the special, but they probably surpassed the special in terms of showing off just what the transformation can do. Goku's Kamehameha at the end is in my opinion the greatest Kamehameha of all time. This was an episode that I didn't have that much high hopes for and it over delivered in every way possible. From the writing to the fighting to the direction to the animation, everything was so good, and the conclusion to the fight was probably one of the most satisfying ends to a fight in the franchise.

2. Episode 131
Although the last episode of Super goes out on a rather predictable ending, the climax of this fight was anything but predictable. Despite not having the insane type of animation we saw in 130, the art supplied by Takahashi and the wonderful direction and writing decisions here to have Goku & Freeza double KO themselves and Jiren and leave 17 as the last man standing wasn't something I was expecting, and despite many saying that they're tired of Ultimate Battle, I couldn't imagine any other song playing at this moment. Really a great episode and a great end to the series, albeit too predictable and safe.

3. Episode 130
This episode could have been #2 or maybe even #1, but I think the poor writing knocks it down a few notches. The way UI works seems to be different than what Whis was describing in 129, and the incredibly lackluster reveal of 17 being alive at the end was actually legitimately laughable as to how bad it was. That all being said though, this episode was very obviously carried by its animation and direction. By far the best animated episode in the franchise, and definitely one of the most memorable. Aside from the writing this episode was absolutely movie-quality levels of perfect.

4. Episode 110
It's the special, and it's special. The first awakening of Ultra Instinct will forever remain a franchise staple, and the animation and art that we saw at the time was absolutely unparalleled to anything we ever saw in the entire franchise thus far. This episode couldn't have come at the more perfect time, I was initially rather upset that they were doing Jiren vs Goku this soon, but it was actually the perfect decision to keep people engaged in the tournament and opening up the mystery to Goku's new transformation, which disappeared after the episode was over.

5. Episode 125
The writing and direction of this episode was outstanding. Toppo felt legitimately even more threatening than Jiren, and with Goku & Vegeta fighting Jiren (and losing), it really made you wonder how they were going to survive now that Toppo is this powerful. Of course, Episode 126 goes on to be one of the worst written episodes in the entire show and completely fucks up everything 125 beautifully sets up, but that's not 125's fault. This was another episode I didn't have much high hopes for, and it also overdelivered. Freeza's beatdown was one of the most brutal things in the show (which isn't actually saying that much), and 17 was a real treat in this episode.

5. Episode 114
Look mom! Dragon Ball Z is on TV again in 2017! Almost no one was expecting this episode to look like this. The NEP didn't really hint at Takahashi's art at all, so when I first started this episode I actually legitimately had to pause after Kale's transformation because I couldn't believe that I was actually watching the same show. This is the episode that obviously made Yuya Takahashi a household name in most DB fans' minds, and the fandom really did feel like it exploded after this episode aired. It didn't just look pretty though, the fight was great too, with actual choreography and great direction. Kefla's birth is also one of the most iconic parts of the show for me, it was handled so well with the soundtrack and the horrified look on Goku's face, and I don't think I've ever seen a look like that on Goku's face ever.

6. Episode 95
This episode, as well as episode 94 actually caused me to go from hating the character of Freeza to absolutely loving him. Whoever at TOEI decided to rewrite Freeza from a spoiled, raging brat to a calm, cool, and mysterious dude did an amazing job, because he really does feel like a completely new character (whereas he feels like the exact same character as before in Toyotaro's manga). Freeza's brutal torture of the U9 assassins was great, and a fitting return for the Emperor of the Universe.

7. Episode 94
94 and 95 pretty much go hand in hand like I said above, this was probably one of the best written episodes of Super, and Karasawa's art really made it special.

8. Episode 104
One of the only episodes that actually focuses on two other universes fighting each other. I think this was the episode that told people "This tournament is going to have some amazing episodes, just watch." The action, the new soundtracks, the way the fight was written, the return of SSG, there's almost nothing to hate here, this was the very start of the run of amazing episodes we would get between 104 and 121 (namely 104, 105, 107, 109, 110, 111, 112, 114, 116, 117, 118, 121)

9. Episode 109
The first half of the special. This was a great episode, but unfortunately there were two things that made it be this far down on the list, which is that A) The fight between Ribrianne and Goku lasted too long despite the animation being wonderful, and B) The spirit bomb struggle between Jiren and Goku lasted what felt like forever. Goku's beatdown by Jiren felt so satisfying though, and truly made Jiren feel like the most unstoppable wall imaginable.

10. Episode 107
Incredible direction and storyboarding, excellent writing, very unexpected team-up between Vegeta and Roshi (these types of combinations were exactly what made this tournament so interesting and special), and a great episode for Roshi to finally get knocked out on.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:23 am

5, 24, 33, 62, 67, 87, 89, 100, 115, and 126.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:23 am

Torturephile wrote:5, 24, 33, 62, 67, 87, 89, 100, 115, and 126.
You truly are a man ahead of his time.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:23 pm

1. Episode 130
2. Episode 131
3. Episode 110
4. Episode 47
5. Episode 109
6. Episode 56
7. Episode 66
8. Episode 116
9. Episode 95
10. Episode 70

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:12 pm

I might as well list off all of Super's good episodes, since they're so few among the trash and the mediocrity:

#2 - Even though I'm not a fan of the way Vegeta has been developed in the series, it's nice that they didn't ignore his speech at the end of the Boo arc and indeed acknowledged that it exists; it was needed to help establish Vegeta's motivation following the Boo arc. Also cool scenes with Beerus and Whis.
#6 - Really fantastic direction that sold me on how threatening Beerus is and why Vegeta is afraid of him. A lot of humorous moments that improve on the movie, as well.
#11 - Probably one of Super's best in terms of writing. Though I find it disappointing that they chose to get rid of Goku's character arc from the movie, Beerus' arc in this is just as good. The fight is also good; it has some cool attacks and ideas and you can feel the tension.
#14 - A nice climax that improves on the movie version with a lot of neat shots (Beerus in front of the sun, Goku's hands and face getting burned off as he holds back Beerus' sphere).
#21 - Possibly the only time where the "Kuririn regains his courage" concept works, considering it's very believable PTSD. Also a nice moment from Roshi and I like what they did with Tagoma's character even if it eventually went nowhere. Only real complaint is that Roshi was really the only one with any confidence in Kuririn; there was no reason for his other friends to treat him like he's helpless.
#24 - This one is hated on for the poor animation, but I feel it gets a bad rep. The writing here is solid. Really good character moments: Freeza being a sneaky bastard (twice) and addressing the elephant in the room (Namek), Goku actually being angry at Freeza's actions. They also don't prolong the movie's stupid subplot of "Oh, is Vegeta gonna join Freeza's side?" until its time for him to step in and just lay it to you straight that he's not.
#27 - An improvement over the movie in just about every way. The fight is better, I feel the voice acting is superior here too (Vegeta's taunts; Freeza's breakdown; Beerus telling Whis in a bored tone to protect them, rather than saying it in a worried tone like in the film), the destruction of the Earth actually has some weight to it, Whis' plot device time travel gimmick was foreshadowed in a much more subtle way in previous episodes, so it doesn't come across as predictable and doesn't undercut the tension by a whole lot.
#36 - Probably the only interesting fight in such a boring and mediocre tournament. Vegeta was needlessly holding back and the way he saved himself from knockout and broke out of the 'cage' was stupid, especially after the episode did such a good job of relying on tactics beforehand, but it was still the best of the bunch.
#43 - Don't think this one needs much explanation. It was heartwarming and gave us a side of Goku we all want to see.
#47 - Great introduction to the arc and Black as a villain. This episode gets praised a ton for good reason.
#56 - Black's smug and the Rosé reveal may steal the show (as well as the twists following it), but the first part was actually very solid as well and touching in a way.
#65 - Really good job of establishing Merged Zamasu as a threat. Also very neat set of powers he has.
#67 - This one's polarizing for good reason. Bad animation and the stupid instance of Vegeta and Goku grabbing to the outside of the machine to get back aside, it was a creative ending and I liked the bittersweet tone it ended on.
#70 - Another fan favorite, no need to explain this one.
#71 - Really, really cool direction that gave Hit a ton of personality with it alone. It has a ton of interesting and neat ideas (that the following episode will shit on, but still).
#79 - Just really nice to see Boo fight again.
#82 - The Zen Exhibition was good in general but this episode is probably the one that best sets up how Goku's a threat to the universe and how he's gonna be the main target for everyone during the ToP since they see him as evil. A shame the actual tournament did jack with such interesting concepts, but let's not shit on the premise because the execution was bad. First half of the episode was boring though.
#84 - Really interesting choreography. Probably one of the few times strategy actually meant shit in this series (and no, fooling the audience into thinking a fight will be solved with strategy only to resolve it with brute force, like so many of the other episodes, did doesn't count),
#94, #95 - They go together. They're great because they reintroduce Freeza in such a way that RF could only dream of. Interesting motives and interesting developments to his personality. The slice-of-life and humor in #94 was great too.
#104 - Same deal with #84. Probably the only stupid moment in the entire thing was Goku overpowering Kunshi's mines with brute strength alone. That's just another case of Super slapping you in the face after teasing you with a potentially strategic fight.
#105, #107 - The two Roshi episodes were great; #107 being clearly the best of the two. #105 has gone down somewhat in my consideration after a rewatch, since the drama at the end feels a bit forced and the first fight in the episode wasn't overly interesting. But the fight with the hypnotist and Ganos were really good, as well as the callback to the original Kame style training (an example of a callback that's done well, since it builds on previous moments rather than just calling attention to them and repeating them word-for-word, scene-for-scene).
#116 - Probably the only episode that's here purely for the spectacle and not for the writing. Omen was great and the Kefla fight had the most interesting bit of choreography in the entire tournament with the fantastic Kamehameha. A lot of stupid shit was said in the episode, but I can mostly ignore it.
#131 - Terrible second half, fantastic first half. Already wrote my thoughts on this one in the episode thread.

That's about it; all the other ones are bad or mediocre like I said. If I had to reduce this to a top 10, then it would probably go something like:

1 - Episode 56
2 - Episode 11
3 - Episode 95
4 - Episode 94
5 - Episode 71
6 - Episode 47
7 - Episode 67
8 - Episode 107
9 - Episode 65
10 - Episode 104

Something like that.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:53 am

This is more of a rough list because I haven’t seen most of the episodes in a long time, but here goes:

1. Episode 56 - This might seem like an odd choice, but this episode was so freakin good when it came out. It established the tone well, and added to the tension with the reveal of Future Zamasu. It made everyone go, “wait, Black ISN’T Zamasu??” Not only that, the first half was also really good. Vegeta giving them food and being proud of Trunks was great, and the reintroduction of Mai was a little touching. Also, Rosé is cool.

2. Episodes 109/110 - After some thought, I still think the special is the best part of the ToP. We’ve talked about this special for so long I don’t think I need to explain why it was so good.

3. Episode 47 - This episode is fantastic. The introduction of Black is one of the best any villain has gotten in DB. Set the tone perfectly.

4. Episode 131 - Much better than I thought it would be. I probably rewatched this like 4 times, and I liked it more every time. Jiren’s defeat was handled perfectly, and the reveal of Zeno’s true intentions behind this tournament, other than seeing strong guys fight each other, actually made me reevaluate what the whole purpose of this arc actually was.

People say that it’s completely pointless because everyone is going to be wished back, but after watching this episode, I completely disagree. Let’s start off from the beginning. We all know that Zeno was going to erase the bottom 8 universes. Goku came along and said “hey, let’s host that tournament thing.” This gave Zeno the idea that if the winner doesn’t wish the rest back, we’ll erase them too. It was also a test to see if these mortals that come from lowly Universes can improve. What this says to me is that Zeno didn’t give one Universe a chance to survive, he gave them all a chance to survive. He wanted to see if these mortals can improve and put aside their selfish ways, and 17 showed them that they all deserve a second chance.

I think Jiren was the main one that was supposed to show us that they can change and improve (kinda obvious, since he was the main antagonist). Jiren, at the very end, fought for his teammates and not himself. Hell, Ribrianne also learned what love actually was after losing to 18, showing that she improved as a person too. Hit also set aside his lonesome ways and improved as a person. This tournament was set up by Zeno to see if these Universes and mortals deserved a second chance, and in the end, they did. Oh yah, I didn’t even mention how Freeza of all people, someone so scummy and evil, actually put aside his selfish desires to obtain the Super Dragon Balls and worked with Goku and 17 to save his Universe. The overall message might be a little messy or hard to understand, but I got something out of it that I never expected, and I’m happy it ended this way.

5. Episode 118 - I think this episode is a bit underrated. The eliminations of Universes 2 and 6 were very well done, and we got to see some really cool stuff from Gohan, Piccolo, the Androids, and Goku. The enemy Namekians were really well done I think.

6. Episode 130 - Just a rollercoaster. Probably the best animation DB has ever gotten, some movie scenes aside. Just incredible. Jiren attacking the stands and Goku beating the shit out of him was so satisfying to see.

7. Episode 66 - The reintroduction of of Vegetto was really fun, although a bit short. Some great action and animation in this episode, capping off with Trunks destroying Zamasu. People complain about the scaling, but I didn’t really mind it.

8. Episode 39 - Introduction of Kaioken Blue, before it became common to see. It was just a really fun episode to watch.

9. Episode 107 - Another well done tournament episode. Roshi and Vegeta interacting was something I never thought I’d see, and it was done so well. Frost also felt like a legitimate threat here, so props on the staff for pulling that off.

10. Episode 11 - An episode from the retellings actually made my top 10. This episode, when it came out, was pretty much regarded as the best episode for a long while. And I agree, it was really well done. Exploring Beerus’s character and the great action/moments we got made this episode one to remember.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:52 am

67 - Fill Your Heart with New Hope!! Farewell, Trunks
-The only episode of Dragon Ball to have made me cry. Zeno destroying the timeline is one of the few parts of Super that could easily stand alongside some of the original run's most memorable moments.

43 - Goku’s “Ki” is Out of Control?! Lots of Trouble Taking Care of Pan
-When Dragon Ball chooses to slow down to reflect on the passage of time, it can be disarmingly affecting. Pan going to space is a little silly, but this episode nails the series' sincere side, and under different circumstances it could have served as an ending.

131 - The Miraculous Conclusion! Farewell, Goku! Until We Meet Again!
-Good finale; nails the Dragon Ball feeling. The Goku-Freeza tag-team can also stand up alongside some of the series' best.

116 - The Comeback Omen! Ultra Instinct’s Great Explosion!!
-I actually really like the entire Goku/Caulifla/Kale/Kafla fight—probably the Super anime's best, with a fun sense of scale, distinct beats, and interesting character dynamics all the way through—but this is unquestionably its strongest episode, and of the series' stronger action episodes on the whole.

94 - Revival of the Evil Emperor! The Mysterious Awaiting Assassins?!
-"Then what shall slip next?"

95 - The Wickedest! The Most Evil! Freeza’s Rampage!!
-We all love this episode.

109 - The Ultimate Enemy Approaches Goku! Now, Let Loose! The Killer Spirit Bomb!!
110 - Son Goku Wakes! New Level of the Awakened!!

-Are we all counting these as one episode? These two promise a sense of both scale and tension that are, at that point, elements that make a welcome return in Super. Can't say they're followed up on particularly well, but as far as the series' action goes, everything's in rare form here.

38 - Universe 6’s Strongest Warrior! Meet the Assassin Hit!!
-It's the Naoki Tate Hit episode, and it's super fun to watch.

15 - Vegeta Becomes a Pupil?! Take Down Whis!
-Sure, why not.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:26 am

Cipher wrote:15 - Vegeta Becomes a Pupil?! Take Down Whis!
-Sure, why not.
That's episode 16. Episode 15 is the Mr. Satan episode.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:12 pm

Torturephile wrote:
-Sure, why not.
And that episode is just as funny and charming.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Torturephile wrote:
-Sure, why not.
You’re right. Thanks for the correction. Meant 16.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:03 am

1. Episode 47: An SOS from the Future! A Dark New Enemy Emerges!!

This is the episode that unequivocally demonstrates why Atsuhiro Tomioka is one of the best scriptwriters for the show in my opinion. It's an episode with great art and animation, but it's not actually carried by those aesthetics despite already being top-notch in that regard. There's no time wasted reintroducing us to the future version of Trunks in the most terrifying manner possible, highlighting the much darker tones and sense of tension that the series is surprisingly capable of applying while setting the stage for one of the best villains in all of Dragon Ball, followed by scenes that masterfully contrast the struggles of Trunks and his loved ones in his own timeline with the much brighter tone of Goku's world before finally culminating in THE most brutal, tragic, and depraved introduction to an antagonist I've ever seen in the history of the franchise. This is Super at its absolute best.

2. Episode 70: Champa's Challenge! This Time We Fight with Baseball!!

Just an incredibly fun episode all around. The character interactions are amazing with homages actually done properly for once, the humor is top-notch, and the focus on Yamcha suits the episode's narrative and tone perfectly. There are so many individual highlights here it's almost unbelievable in how well-written it actually is; Yoshitaka Toshio really knocked this one out of the park (pun intended!).

3. Episode 67: With New Hope!! In Our Hearts – Farewell, Trunks

Weird issues with the final scene aside, the ending to the Future Trunks arc in Super is unlike anything ever seen in the franchise; our heroes won the battle, but the antagonist wins the war. This one certainly doesn't dance around the fact that Trunks' world was just wiped from existence, and it's hard not to feel sympathy for the protagonists and particularly those that perished in the wake of Zamasu's destruction when everything finally nears its conclusion. That intense struggle that Trunks himself goes through just to protect everyone is brought to the forefront constantly, yet it's entirely for naught in the end, conveying an almost nihilistic approach to Dragon Ball that you wouldn't normally get from a series aimed at children. Undoubtedly the most emotionally impactful episode in the series.

4. Episode 94: The Emperor of Evil Returns! A Reception of Mysterious Assassins?!

Ultimately the better counterpart to Episode 95, although both should be watched in tandem. This is Frieza's episode through and through, and there's nothing not to love about it. His treatment in general here is so good that it's actually superior to how his character was handled in Resurrection F, and that's just on top of his excellent banter with Goku and that godlike transformation sequence at the end. The slice-of-life here is fantastic too.

5. Episode 131: The Miraculous Conclusion! Farewell, Goku! Until We Meet Again!!

The final episode of Super. Everything from the writing and direction to the animation was given the utmost effort to provide the anime with a satisfying conclusion, and the attempt was largely a resounding success. Goku and Frieza genuinely putting aside their differences to take down Jiren is probably one of the most unforgettable moments in the franchise. Nearly all of the characters were handled well in general, including 17, Beerus, Zeno, and even Jiren, with perhaps the sole exception of 18 whose dialogue was pretty questionable. All in all, a great sendoff.

6. Episode 104: The Ultimate High Speed Battle Begins! Goku and Hit Join Forces!!

This one had everything I was expecting and more -- interesting strategic elements, fantastic character dynamics between Goku and Hit as well as Dyspo, a fun reference to the manga version of Super, and the return of my personal favorite transformation, Super Saiyan God. It's not the flashiest episode ever, which is why it's so damn impressive that it's easily one of the best fighting-focused episodes the anime has to offer.

7. Episode 48: Hope!! Once More Awaken in the Present, Trunks

Despite being a less-memorable follow up to 47, I can't help but include this episode on my list because it does such a thorough job of establishing Black's character, developing the conflict between Trunks and Black, foreshadowing tensions to come, and really delving into Trunks' psychological trauma. Few episodes in the anime deliver such a good balance between characterization and action as this one.

8. Episode 56: Rematch With Goku Black! Super Saiyan Rosé Appears!!

If nothing else, 56 is a goldmine of good dialogue and drama. Goku and Vegeta get to meet up with the resistance in Trunks' era for the first time, and there's a lot of great (and equally heartwarming) interactions at play here. Yajirobe also makes a surprise appearance, and it's impossible to forget Black's brilliant monologue as the newly transformed Super Saiyan Rosé as well as the ominous debut of Future Zamasu. I'm not usually super enthusiastic about King Ryu's episodes, but this is one of his best.

9. Episode 114: Intimidating Passion! The Birth of a New Super Warrior!!

Anyone who has never heard of Yuya Takahashi before will no doubt become at least somewhat acquainted with his work here. This wasn't merely a Z-inspired aesthetic romp though, despite playing the biggest role in how memorable 114 would become -- it was a genuinely great fighting episode, with some of the best choreography featured in the Tournament of Power in addition to some wonderful interactions between Goku, Caulifla, and Kale. The most enjoyable aspect wasn't really the fusion that gave birth to Kefla, it was just the direction all throughout.

10. Episode 110: Son Goku Wakes! New Level of the Awakened!!

The first proper appearance of Ultra Instinct. Goku's supposed defeat is well worth the subsequent payoff, and the episode's scripting expertly manages to introduce the new form in a way that comes full-circle to the foreshadowing present throughout the series since Resurrection F. It might be flash and spectacle, but it's flash and spectacle done right.