Legacy of Goku 4 Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Legacy of Goku 4 Discussion

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:16 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote:Shame it'll never happen. The first Legacy of Goku was a miserable experience that I had to use the "invincibility" cheat you enter during the intro to even play. Legacy of Goku 2 was fantastic, and Buus Fury is one of my favorite Gameboy games of all time.
The first game was indeed incredibly hard to get through. I remember spending days and days on that game, until I eventually beat it. I don't really remember if I used the cheat too or not, but I remember losing lots of times on Namek but I actually was able to easily beat the main villains, including Freeza. I was still a kid though so I have vague memories of it, and I recall a sort of labyrinth dungeon on Namek.
Legacy of Goku 2 was a great game, it made me love the future timeline so much because of the game beginning in the future. I remember being disappointed that I had very little gameplay with Goku, as he was playable only before the Cell Games and afterwards couldn't be used when he died. I also remember having quite some hard times getting through Dr Gero's lab barriers, and beating Cell with Vegeta/Trunks was difficult too.
Buu's fury was a easier game, but it was definitely the best of the trilogy. I completed that game many times, it was just that fun to me and it may be one of the reasons why I have always appreciated Buu arc a lot.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:18 pm

I would definitely love an official LoG: 4, covering part (or all) of the Super story. I recently finished LoG2 and Buu's Fury. When it comes to mechanics, items, collectibles, etc, I think Buu's Fury did it best. I particularly like the way they handled Super Saiyans in Buu's Fury. In LoG:2, it wasn't very energy efficient to use ki attacks while transformed, so I always ended up saving my ki, transforming, and punching everything. In the third game, Super Saiyan gave you an extra bar of ki, so you didn't have to worry about ki efficiency.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:15 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:I would definitely love an official LoG: 4, covering part (or all) of the Super story. I recently finished LoG2 and Buu's Fury. When it comes to mechanics, items, collectibles, etc, I think Buu's Fury did it best. I particularly like the way they handled Super Saiyans in Buu's Fury. In LoG:2, it wasn't very energy efficient to use ki attacks while transformed, so I always ended up saving my ki, transforming, and punching everything. In the third game, Super Saiyan gave you an extra bar of ki, so you didn't have to worry about ki efficiency.
Ki attacks weren't efficient in either LoG2 or Buu's Fury. It was much faster and safer just bouncing stuff up and down with melee attacks.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Ki attacks weren't efficient in either LoG2 or Buu's Fury. It was much faster and safer just bouncing stuff up and down with melee attacks.
In Buu's Fury, I focused Goku and Trunks on melee damage, while I gave Vegeta and Goten ki based builds. I often found that I could kill enemies faster with Vegeta and Goten, and it was more fun to play it that way. Some ki attacks are particularly good against groups too, while trying to melee would often get you dog piled on.

Madason of Gotha

Post by Madason of Gotha » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:00 pm

A Legacy of Goku 4 discussion? That would be cool.

For me, what I would want is a fusion of all 3 original LoG games, with the best of all features.

It would the equipment and item systems of Buu's Fury, the more balanced stats and difficulty of Legacy of Goku 2, the map and world of both of them, but also maybe the little filler moments of Legacy of Goku expanded. Perhaps part from Attack of the Saiyans could be adapted in? I would also maybe like bonus stuff like the ability to fight Turles after fighting Vegeta, and maybe fighting Broly before fighting Cell?

I am not sure if a LoG game for Super is really feasible. There were less "adventures" and it was mostly tournaments and fights, or in situations that would prevent much free roaming. GT however, I could see working for Legacy of Goku, especially given the fact that LoG already uses a lot of anime and filler moments.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Madason of Gotha wrote:A Legacy of Goku 4 discussion? That would be cool.

For me, what I would want is a fusion of all 3 original LoG games, with the best of all features.

It would the equipment and item systems of Buu's Fury, the more balanced stats and difficulty of Legacy of Goku 2, the map and world of both of them, but also maybe the little filler moments of Legacy of Goku expanded. Perhaps part from Attack of the Saiyans could be adapted in? I would also maybe like bonus stuff like the ability to fight Turles after fighting Vegeta, and maybe fighting Broly before fighting Cell?

I am not sure if a LoG game for Super is really feasible. There were less "adventures" and it was mostly tournaments and fights, or in situations that would prevent much free roaming. GT however, I could see working for Legacy of Goku, especially given the fact that LoG already uses a lot of anime and filler moments.
I don't see the last part as being a particular issue. LoG2 (haven't played BF, not released in Europe) was padded out with plenty of extra bits that weren't in the show to keep the player moving. There's nothing to say they couldn't come up with some extra plot bits to expand the scale of the narrative.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Weejus wrote:I don't see the last part as being a particular issue. LoG2 (haven't played BF, not released in Europe) was padded out with plenty of extra bits that weren't in the show to keep the player moving. There's nothing to say they couldn't come up with some extra plot bits to expand the scale of the narrative.
That's true. I think the bigger issue would be playable characters. The original Legacy of Goku only had one playable character, while Legacy of Goku II and Buu's Fury both had five (plus an unlockable Hercule in the former). But with Super, there are only two protagonists who are consistently involved: Goku and Vegeta. I guess it would be fine to only have two playable characters, but it might feel like kind of a step down.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:57 am

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Weejus wrote:I don't see the last part as being a particular issue. LoG2 (haven't played BF, not released in Europe) was padded out with plenty of extra bits that weren't in the show to keep the player moving. There's nothing to say they couldn't come up with some extra plot bits to expand the scale of the narrative.
That's true. I think the bigger issue would be playable characters. The original Legacy of Goku only had one playable character, while Legacy of Goku II and Buu's Fury both had five (plus an unlockable Hercule in the former). But with Super, there are only two protagonists who are consistently involved: Goku and Vegeta. I guess it would be fine to only have two playable characters, but it might feel like kind of a step down.
I don't see why Trunks couldn't be playable (he does have an arc named after him) in addition to the likes of Gohan and Piccolo. What might be interesting (but potentially wasteful) is to have some temporarily playable characters, like if say, Freeza were to have a subplot involving getting from Hell to Baba Uranai's palace or whatever, or perhaps something involving Zamasu or a side story within one of the alternate universes in the ToP (like the Pride Troopers or Kamikaze Fireballs).

Madason of Gotha

Post by Madason of Gotha » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:59 am

I believe to keep balance and to possibly boost sales, a Legacy of Goku Super Game should happen separate from a Legacy of Goku 4, and I think LoG 4 should be a LoG collection, that way all problems in LoG1-3 can be addressed

Here is a more in depth idea list I had

Features
*New 3-D graphics
*Voice actors for characters
*A choice between Kai or Faulcinor music on thr options menu
*Equipment and item system of Buu's Fury, but streamlined and more authentic to Dragon Ball
*Leveling system of Legacy of Goku 2
*Ability on the character switch/save pad to change what abilities a character uses
*Several new abilities and powerups for characters
*Revamped flight system
*All zones from Legacy of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury + new ones
*Old zones from LoG2 and BF redesigned to include flying mechanic
*Playable Characters (In order of accessability)
-Goku
-Piccolo
-Gohan
-Krillin
-Vegeta
-Future Trunks
-Goten
-Trunks
Campaign
*Goku vs Piccolo in the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi
*The Mount Kiwi and Annin quests after Goku and Chi Chi's wedding
*Dead Zone, Piccolo now playable
*Plays out like Legacy of Goku 1 except with newer mechanics implemented up until Raditz. Goku already knows Kamehameha and Solar Flare since the beginning of the Goku vs Piccolo fight, so the guy in the hut just gives you a useful item.
*The year period before the Saiyans coming has similar events and order and filler moments (Hell, Princess Snake, The Robot, collecting the Dragon Balls) and quests as in Attack of Saiyans. In the part where you train with Kami, only Krillin will be playable, as he is a playable character
*The fight with the Saiyans start with Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo as playable. After the Saibaman fight, there will be a cutscene with the deaths of Tien and Chiaotzu. When Piccolo dies. The perspective shifts back to Goku where he goes through the events in Legacy of Goku, but with the new mechanics
*Goku vs Vegeta fight happens in a different location. After training under King Kai, Goku knows Spirit Bomb and Kaio-Ken (Which is like a faster paced SSJ)
*After that is done. There are two bonus sections Goku can fight before leaving for Namek. One is Dr. Wheelo’s Fortress, where Goku can fight Bio-Men (Reskins of Saibamen), and Ebifurya, Kishime, and Misokatsun as bosses. The main boss is Dr. Wheelo. This bonus part will not include the possessed Piccolo part as he is dead. The second one, again due to plot inconsistencies, is aganst Turles and his men. Goku will first fight through a gauntlet of Turles, Amond, Cacao, Daiz, and Rasin and Lakasei. The main boss here is Turles.
*Once Goku goes into his ship, the perspect shifts to Gohan and Krilling being playabe on Fake Namek and eventually the Real Namek. This part is entirely different, and would be more like Super Saiya Densetsu. Vegeta becomes playable after the fight with Zarbon, and you can play between Gohan, Krillin, and Vegeta they Reacoome. After Gohan loses against Reacoome. Goku becomes playable and fights against the Ginyus. When body-switched, Vegeta is playable to kill Jeice and beat up Ginyu. The fight with Frieza will involve the three again as Goku is waiting in the healing chamber. Piccolo becomes playable again in the middle of the fight with Second Form Frieza, and Goku will return in the fight with Fourth Form Frieza where it returns to being like Legacy of Goku with the new mechanics
*After this part is done, you get the ability to play a remake of Legacy of Goku 2.
*The first part is where Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo are playable. It is the Garlic Jr Saga
*The three year training part has the first fight with Doore, Neiz, Sauza, and Cooler
*The 10 day gap between the Cell Games include more filler moments from Z, plus you can fight both Broly and Hatchiyack as bosses
*After Cell is beaten, Goku is unavaliable, but Gohan can go Super Saiyan 3
*The Buu’s Fury arc is pretty much identical but with the new mechanics.
*A bonus boss is accessible, Hirudegarn
*After Hirudegarn is beaten, and all the Hercule and Z items are found, the Hyperbolic Time Chamber is acessable again where one can fight through waves of every boss in Dragon Ball Legacy of Goku with modified stats, after all is beated, some special feature is unlocked (Got lazy here)

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu May 03, 2018 4:54 am

Giving it a redesign and 3D graphics would change the whole thing. It wouldn't really be a sequel rather than a new RPG. I'd like a sequel maintaining the Legacy of Goku style

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu May 03, 2018 11:04 am

mute_proxy wrote:Giving it a redesign and 3D graphics would change the whole thing. It wouldn't really be a sequel rather than a new RPG. I'd like a sequel maintaining the Legacy of Goku style
Agreed! 3D would feel lazy, I'd like to keep the classic sprite format. I don't really like top-down view 3D games, in fact it's one of the reasons I could never get into Zelda Link Between Worlds. For comparision:

Minish Cap (GBA)
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Link Between Worlds (3DS)
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 am

Regular ki blasts in Buu's Fury were indeed weaker than just punches, but the beams were OP as fuck, especially level 3 ones. That said, while I do appreciate the inventory system and all, I actually prefer LoG2, for its darker tone, better atmosphere and harder gameplay. I wouldn't mind having a fusion of the 3 games though, particularly to find out what the first game would be like if fixed. A sequel spanning Super would also be super cool to have! Hope this picks up someday.