Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:30 am

When it comes to those voices, I'm not sure if they would work that well for Piccolo.

And besides, I wouldn't want Piccolo to sound like Goku. Yeah, Schemmel's Nail is good, but you can tell that it's Goku voicing him.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:12 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:When it comes to those voices, I'm not sure if they would work that well for Piccolo.

And besides, I wouldn't want Piccolo to sound like Goku. Yeah, Schemmel's Nail is good, but you can tell that it's Goku voicing him.
I think Bob Carter or Kyle Hebert would be solid choices.

Or perhaps Jason Douglas, if they wanted to go a different direction with the voice.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:When it comes to those voices, I'm not sure if they would work that well for Piccolo.

I think Bob Carter or Kyle Hebert would be solid choices.

Or perhaps Jason Douglas, if they wanted to go a different direction with the voice.
Okay, maybe I can see Bob Carter working as Piccolo.

I actually think he would have been a much better Nappa than Phil Parsons.

And you know, you were right about one thing: that Brian and Scott sounding different in Kai won't be what will set their performances apart from their ones in Z. Sometimes I take myself way too seriously, like, I just want to prove to some people wrong that Brian and Scott can give genuine performances as these characters, much like Sabat did with Kai, when I don't really need to.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:30 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Okay, maybe I can see Bob Carter working as Piccolo.

Yeah. I think Nappa is another one who Funi should have recast for Kai.

I think I've said this before, but really, Funimation should have been more merciless in their recastings in Kai.
Nappa, Piccolo, Kaio, Yamcha, Tenshinhan... Nothing against the actors behind those voices; even something as small as the actors being open to trying a different take on the character could have made a world of difference. Nappa still sounds like a poor man's Michael Dobson, Yamcha still sounds like Chris Sabat on weed, Piccolo like Yamcha on coffee and sulfur hexafloride, and Vegeta like Piccolo with a gravel-coated sandpaper throat, Kaio can't be taken seriously...

When you have actors like Bob Carter, etc. in the casting pool now, there's no reason they couldn't have tried out some new voices. Generally, the main cast was really well-handled in Kai; Schemmel's always been a solid Goku(Yes, I said always. Even back when he first started in '99, Schemmel was probably the best in the Funi cast; he wasn't a true depiction of Goku, but he did a great job with what he was given, he was a shining light in the otherwise honestly a bit crap 1999 Funi cast, and he only got better from there), Sabat's Vegeta in Kai was pretty great, Monica Rial is a great Bulma, Colleen Clinkenbeard is great as Gohan, Chris Ayres is an outstanding Freeza...
But the secondary and tersiary cast members are still a bit of a mess, and a few key main cast members(Piccolo, mainly) were overlooked in all this.
8000 Saiyan wrote:And you know, you were right about one thing: that Brian and Scott sounding different in Kai won't be what will set their performances apart from their ones in Z. Sometimes I take myself way too seriously, like, I just want to prove to some people wrong that Brian and Scott can give genuine performances as these characters, much like Sabat did with Kai, when I don't really need to.
Haha, I know what you mean.
Drummond and McNeil sounding different will be interesting, but yeah, the performance itself will be what matters, and I absolutely can't wait. :D

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:37 pm

Ehhhh, '99 Schemmel was pretty not great. I'd say Sonny Strait was the best one back then.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Everytime I think of 1999 Schemmel, I think of his "Oh no" delivery when Frieza shoots Vegeta in the heart. And I certainly don't think he was suddenly good when he was dubbing the end of the fight between Goku and Frieza.

As for Strait, I'd say he got better when he stopped using that Popeye voice.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Ehhhh, '99 Schemmel was pretty not great. I'd say Sonny Strait was the best one back then.
Fair enough.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Everytime I think of 1999 Schemmel, I think of his "Oh no" delivery when Frieza shoots Vegeta in the heart. And I certainly don't think he was suddenly good when he was dubbing the end of the fight between Goku and Frieza.

As for Strait, I'd say he got better when he stopped using that Popeye voice.
Goku vs Freeza was not well voiced. And yeah, there were some incredibly iffy deliveries when he started out. But I still think he was the best in a cast of amateurs in '99.

Admittedly, Strait wasn't bad, but he was... Well, more than mediocre, I suppose.

Problem with '99 Funi is that the direction was pretty poor, so even the better performers like Schemmel and Strait were often messy. And we all know how bad the lesser performers turned out...

But I do still maintain that Schemmel did a pretty great job with the material and direction he was given.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:47 pm

I think you're being too kind to Schemmel. We should be thankful he doesn't sound like that anymore.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:21 pm

It's so frustrating that we can go back and compare how the Funimation actors have improved or see how different direction works, but we cannot do the same for Ocean.

It saddens me that it has been about a decade and still nothing....... It would be awesome if Funimation could release it as a special edition. It's a no harm or foul release, so why not?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Soooooo... I know its most defintely not set in stone that it will air there, but what happened to WOW?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Attitudefan wrote:It would be awesome if Funimation could release it as a special edition. It's a no harm or foul release, so why not?
I've been told by those in the biz that it's a legal nightmare to license an anime. My guess is they can't do it because there's some weird clause (or clauses) in the contracts.

On top of that, I know there's a lot of passion for the Ocean dub on this thread--myself most definitely included--but I don't think there's quite enough of a demand for this dub for it to get a DVD release. It'd be nice if something could get released based on passion among the fans, but anime licensing, dubbing, and DVD distribution is a business...and whether something will make a profit or not is most definitely a discussion that gets brought up whenever a company contemplates a DVD release.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:34 am

Does Funimation even own the rights to Ocean Kai? I'm quite sure they don't.

Also, just listened to Dean Galloway's Roshi and I'm not sure if I want him back. I'd rather have Michael Donovan reprise.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:58 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Does Funimation even own the rights to Ocean Kai? I'm quite sure they don't.
I'm also quite sure they don't. We know they have some sort of agreement with Ocean (who don't own the rights but are just used as a production house) because they share the footage. Beyond that I doubt Funimation have any say or control over this dub. That said they do own the home video rights to the series as a whole in North America so if the rights holder wanted this dub to get a DVD or Blu-Ray release theoretically Funimation would have the power to make that happen through some sort of an agreement but that more than likely won't happen or make financial sense to do so, especially considering the fact being an edited for TV dub and a non-bilingual release would hurt sales.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:42 am

Robo4900 wrote:

I think I've said this before, but really, Funimation should have been more merciless in their recastings in Kai.
Nappa, Piccolo, Kaio, Yamcha, Tenshinhan... Nothing against the actors behind those voices; even something as small as the actors being open to trying a different take on the character could have made a world of difference. Nappa still sounds like a poor man's Michael Dobson, Yamcha still sounds like Chris Sabat on weed, Piccolo like Yamcha on coffee and sulfur hexafloride, and Vegeta like Piccolo with a gravel-coated sandpaper throat, Kaio can't be taken seriously...

When you have actors like Bob Carter, etc. in the casting pool now, there's no reason they couldn't have tried out some new voices. Generally, the main cast was really well-handled in Kai; Schemmel's always been a solid Goku(Yes, I said always. Even back when he first started in '99, Schemmel was probably the best in the Funi cast; he wasn't a true depiction of Goku, but he did a great job with what he was given, he was a shining light in the otherwise honestly a bit crap 1999 Funi cast, and he only got better from there), Sabat's Vegeta in Kai was pretty great, Monica Rial is a great Bulma, Colleen Clinkenbeard is great as Gohan, Chris Ayres is an outstanding Freeza...
But the secondary and tersiary cast members are still a bit of a mess, and a few key main cast members(Piccolo, mainly) were overlooked in all this.
If I had been the casting director, I would have recasted the following characters:
Vegeta (maybe...)
Krillin (maybe...)
Future Trunks
King Kai
Korin
Tenshinhan
Yamcha
Chi-Chi
Master Roshi
Kami
Android 16
Nappa
Raditz
Nail (maybe...)
Ox-King
Majin Buu
Jeice
Recoome
Yajirobe (maybe...)
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:58 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:

If I had been the casting director, I would have recasted the following characters:
Vegeta (maybe...)
Krillin (maybe...)
Future Trunks
King Kai
Korin
Tenshinhan
Yamcha
Chi-Chi
Master Roshi
Kami
Android 16
Nappa
Raditz
Nail
Majin Buu
Jeice
Recoome
Yajirobe (maybe...)
The fact that you guys say this, yet there's nothing wrong with the majority of these voices, is quite astounding to me.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:19 pm

Oh no, there are lots of problems with those voices:

McFarland's Roshi works only in comedic moments, when he has to do the serious moments he falls flat; plus, it's painfully obvious that it's a middle-aged guy doing the best stereotypical old man voice he can do. It's one of those Funimation dub voices I don't get the love for.
Vale might be better than the other English voices for Future Trunks, but he has that intolerable rasp. Apparently, he smoked for a while. That makes sense for Sanji, but not for Trunks.
Sabat's Yamcha still slips into surfer dude mode every now and then;
Burgmeier has no charisma whatsoever as Tenshinhan; at least he's more tolerable in other stuff I've seen with him.
Cranz only brings the bitchiness of Chi-Chi and none of her warmth;
Inman still sounds a bit flat as Android 16;
Liebrecht should have never played Jeice. The dude's a great VA, but he just makes Jeice sound like a pansy and that accent is quite grating on the ears;
Cook has no subtlety whatsoever as Raditz; that's what I love about Chiba and Gray-Stanford's renditions, they had subtlety.
Phil Parsons is a poor man's Michael Dobson; true, Michael Dobson had crappy scripts to work with, but he made Nappa more memorable.
Sabat shouldn't be voicing Kami or Korin.
Do I even need to explain the problems with Schemmel's Kaio? How am I suppose to take Kaio seriously with this voice? True, Kaio is mostly a comic relief character, but even he has his serious moments.
Sabat's Recoome still sounds "special";
There's never been a tolerable English voice for Buu; Josh Martin might be better than Scott McNeil and Corby Proctor in the part, but that doesn't mean much.
Oh yeah, I also forgot Hebert's Ox-King; too cartoonish sounding.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:49 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Oh no, there are lots of problems with those voices:

McFarland's Roshi works only in comedic moments, when he has to do the serious moments he falls flat; plus, it's painfully obvious that it's a middle-aged guy doing the best stereotypical old man voice he can do. It's one of those Funimation dub voices I don't get the love for.
I mean, comedic old man tone for a perverted old man...
I get that he has more serious moments, but that was a thing in the Japanese as well. That's how Toriyama tends to write some of his characters, specifically the mentors.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sabat's Yamcha still slips into surfer dude mode every now and then;
It's not a bad voice for the character, though.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Burgmeier has no charisma whatsoever as Tenshinhan;
Is he supposed to? Tien's never been one to be shown as charismatic.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Cranz only brings the bitchiness of Chi-Chi and none of her warmth;
Disagree. I had this opinion of Monica Rial as Bulma at first, though, but then I remembered Bulma's a bitch in the first few arcs of Z, hell, even in DB, & she gets better. Considering Chichi's mostly a bitch in her parenting style in Z, it's most of what you see with her.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Inman still sounds a bit flat as Android 16;
Considering 16 is, y'know, an android & he's not like 16 or 17 where he's an augmented human cyborg, I think that's what they were going for.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Liebrecht should have never played Jeice. The dude's a great VA, but he just makes Jeice sound like a pansy and that accent is quite grating on the ears;
Well, he was just trying to recreate what Sabat did for the character with him being from Space Australia. Maybe he should've used a different voice tone or accent, but Sabat was just trying to give someone else the role, but also have him do a version of the voice he did for the character. I mean, that's probably not the voice I would've gone with for the character, but I understand why they did.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Cook has no subtlety whatsoever as Raditz; that's what I love about Chiba and Gray-Stanford's renditions, they had subtlety.
Considering Raditz is basically a card-carrying villain, I don't see much wrong with his interpretation of the character.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Phil Parsons is a poor man's Michael Dobson; true, Michael Dobson had crappy scripts to work with, but he made Nappa more memorable.
Considering I've heard Dobson as Nappa, I disagree very much. Their voice tones are much different & I don't see any commonalities.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sabat shouldn't be voicing Kami or Korin.
Kami is half the original being & Piccolo is the other, so that makes sense. Korrin, I don't see any problems with.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Do I even need to explain the problems with Schemmel's Kaio? How am I supposed to take Kaio seriously with this voice? True, Kaio is mostly a comic relief character, but even he has his serious moments.
I get this. I said most of the voices. Personally, I can take the character seriously & don't think Ocean did much better, considering Schemmel's ony imitating their actor's voice.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sabat's Recoome still sounds "special";
Less so in Kai, but I understand this. Doesn't bother me, though.
8000 Saiyan wrote:There's never been a tolerable English voice for Buu; Josh Martin might be better than Scott McNeil and Corby Proctor in the part, but that doesn't mean much.
I can understand this, but I actually like the voice. Given the character is meant to be a subversion of your expectations, since he's a giant pink blob who acts with the mental capacity of a child, the voice makes sense. In fact, I find the Japanese voice more jarring than his English one. I could care less about the 3rd person speech, but I feel FUNi's interpretation isn't any less valid than the Japanese one. In fact, I kind of prefer it in a way.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Oh yeah, I also forgot Hebert's Ox-King;
I mean, I get it, but considering they casted him when all they knew about him was from the Z era when he became the bumbling grandpa, I don't blame them for casting him as him or using that voice tone.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Scsigs wrote:I mean, comedic old man tone for a perverted old man...
I get that he has more serious moments, but that was a thing in the Japanese as well. That's how Toriyama tends to write some of his characters, specifically the mentors.
Here's the thing though. When Miyauchi delivered the serious moments, he delivered them in a serious tone; McFarland, on the other hand, delivered them in the same tone he uses for the comedic moments IIRC.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sabat's Yamcha still slips into surfer dude mode every now and then;
Scsigs wrote:It's not a bad voice for the character, though.
It always feels to me like a poor attempt to try sound cool. Furuya sounds effortlessly cool.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Do I even need to explain the problems with Schemmel's Kaio? How am I supposed to take Kaio seriously with this voice? True, Kaio is mostly a comic relief character, but even he has his serious moments.
Scsigs wrote:I get this. I said most of the voices. Personally, I can take the character seriously & don't think Ocean did much better, considering Schemmel's ony imitating their actor's voice.
Sure, but what about the serious moments? Do you think Schemmel delivers them well? Better than Brown and Yanami?
8000 Saiyan wrote:There's never been a tolerable English voice for Buu; Josh Martin might be better than Scott McNeil and Corby Proctor in the part, but that doesn't mean much.
Scsigs wrote:I can understand this, but I actually like the voice. Given the character is meant to be a subversion of your expectations, since he's a giant pink blob who acts with the mental capacity of a child, the voice makes sense. In fact, I find the Japanese voice more jarring than his English one. I could care less about the 3rd person speech, but I feel FUNi's interpretation isn't any less valid than the Japanese one. In fact, I kind of prefer it in a way.
Why? Because it doesn't correspond to your idea of what Majin Buu is like as a character? Like, he has a childish personality, so he should sound very obvious that he's a child?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Does Funimation even own the rights to Ocean Kai? I'm quite sure they don't.
I'm also quite sure they don't. We know they have some sort of agreement with Ocean (who don't own the rights but are just used as a production house) because they share the footage. Beyond that I doubt Funimation have any say or control over this dub. That said they do own the home video rights to the series as a whole in North America so if the rights holder wanted this dub to get a DVD or Blu-Ray release theoretically Funimation would have the power to make that happen through some sort of an agreement but that more than likely won't happen or make financial sense to do so, especially considering the fact being an edited for TV dub and a non-bilingual release would hurt sales.
Exactly. FUNimation doesn't own the rights to the Ocean dub of Kai, but what they do own is the rights to a whole lot of other stuff (like the home video and streaming rights) that makes the release of the Ocean dub of Kai--in any form other than a TV-only release in Canada--exceptionally difficult to pull off. Like Dragon Ball Ireland said, I'm sure it's legally possible that they could work out a deal, but it wouldn't make much financial sense to do so. At this point, the only kind of release for the Ocean dub of Kai that would both work out legally and make financial sense would be a TV-only release in Canada.

...........................While we're on the subject of making financial sense, though.......I would also argue that it makes zero financial sense to pay for the dub of an entire 99-episode show before the producers had even secured a deal with a Canadian TV network. Especially when the producers knew that was the only way this dub would ever be seen. But that's another story.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:48 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Exactly. FUNimation doesn't own the rights to the Ocean dub of Kai, but what they do own is the rights to a whole lot of other stuff (like the home video and streaming rights) that makes the release of the Ocean dub of Kai--in any form other than a TV-only release in Canada--exceptionally difficult to pull off. Like Dragon Ball Ireland said, I'm sure it's legally possible that they could work out a deal, but it wouldn't make much financial sense to do so. At this point, the only kind of release for the Ocean dub of Kai that would both work out legally and make financial sense would be a TV-only release in Canada.

...........................While we're on the subject of making financial sense, though.......I would also argue that it makes zero financial sense to pay for the dub of an entire 99-episode show before the producers had even secured a deal with a Canadian TV network. Especially when the producers knew that was the only way this dub would ever be seen. But that's another story.
But I would argue that it makes little business sense to do an edited TV-Only dub in a world of streaming on the internet. To have no home release so it could be distributed as a stream as well, makes little sense. They should have produced the dub uncut at the very least, for marketability reasons in case it does get a home release.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada