Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:26 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Does Funimation even own the rights to Ocean Kai? I'm quite sure they don't.
I'm also quite sure they don't. We know they have some sort of agreement with Ocean (who don't own the rights but are just used as a production house) because they share the footage. Beyond that I doubt Funimation have any say or control over this dub. That said they do own the home video rights to the series as a whole in North America so if the rights holder wanted this dub to get a DVD or Blu-Ray release theoretically Funimation would have the power to make that happen through some sort of an agreement but that more than likely won't happen or make financial sense to do so, especially considering the fact being an edited for TV dub and a non-bilingual release would hurt sales.
Exactly. FUNimation doesn't own the rights to the Ocean dub of Kai, but what they do own is the rights to a whole lot of other stuff (like the home video and streaming rights) that makes the release of the Ocean dub of Kai--in any form other than a TV-only release in Canada--exceptionally difficult to pull off. Like Dragon Ball Ireland said, I'm sure it's legally possible that they could work out a deal, but it wouldn't make much financial sense to do so. At this point, the only kind of release for the Ocean dub of Kai that would both work out legally and make financial sense would be a TV-only release in Canada.

...........................While we're on the subject of making financial sense, though.......I would also argue that it makes zero financial sense to pay for the dub of an entire 99-episode show before the producers had even secured a deal with a Canadian TV network. Especially when the producers knew that was the only way this dub would ever be seen. But that's another story.
I would have to assume the producers just got very unlucky. They may have reached an agreement with a network only for the network to have decided later on that they didn't want to run anime or have confidence it could make a comeback on Canadian TV. Kix may well have been planning to air it until TOEI got in the way. Funi's agreement with Ocean might have required all 98 episodes to be dubbed for them to share the masters. There are always risks in the business world, the producers may have been led to believe a deal was going somewhere, there's no way to know. Hopefully we will hear about WOW's launch soon and word about Ocean Kai.
Attitudefan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
I'm also quite sure they don't. We know they have some sort of agreement with Ocean (who don't own the rights but are just used as a production house) because they share the footage. Beyond that I doubt Funimation have any say or control over this dub. That said they do own the home video rights to the series as a whole in North America so if the rights holder wanted this dub to get a DVD or Blu-Ray release theoretically Funimation would have the power to make that happen through some sort of an agreement but that more than likely won't happen or make financial sense to do so, especially considering the fact being an edited for TV dub and a non-bilingual release would hurt sales.
Exactly. FUNimation doesn't own the rights to the Ocean dub of Kai, but what they do own is the rights to a whole lot of other stuff (like the home video and streaming rights) that makes the release of the Ocean dub of Kai--in any form other than a TV-only release in Canada--exceptionally difficult to pull off. Like Dragon Ball Ireland said, I'm sure it's legally possible that they could work out a deal, but it wouldn't make much financial sense to do so. At this point, the only kind of release for the Ocean dub of Kai that would both work out legally and make financial sense would be a TV-only release in Canada.

...........................While we're on the subject of making financial sense, though.......I would also argue that it makes zero financial sense to pay for the dub of an entire 99-episode show before the producers had even secured a deal with a Canadian TV network. Especially when the producers knew that was the only way this dub would ever be seen. But that's another story.
But I would argue that it makes little business sense to do an edited TV-Only dub in a world of streaming on the internet. To have no home release so it could be distributed as a stream as well, makes little sense. They should have produced the dub uncut at the very least, for marketability reasons in case it does get a home release.
Streaming wasn't as big when this dub started production (which we know was as early as 2009), doing it for TV made sense because Dragon Ball performed well on YTV just a few years earlier despite the Canadian dubs never getting a home release. As great as an uncut Ocean Kai would have been that would have been a risk too because original DBZ never aired uncut on Canadian TV. Producing an uncut dub also would have required the producers to licence the original Japanese score, which costs a pretty penny. They may have felt paying for a replacement score would be a safer bet because it would help the dub's chances of being approved as Canadian content and the opportunity to earn royalties would be there.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:41 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Soooooo... I know its most defintely not set in stone that it will air there, but what happened to WOW?
I posted this a few pages back but it got buried by fantasy casting:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Some very minor news regarding Wow's channel: the CRTC is finally proceeding with their approval process. The commission is soliciting comments from the public and industry between now and April 26th. They will conduct a hearing on May 31st, the results of which should be made live the same day or shortly after. I don't expect there to be any controversies, so this should go smoothly. From that point, Wow will officially and legally own a TV channel.

By the way, I don't suggest you leave comments for the CRTC. I doubt they'd appreciate a bunch of "air Dragon Ball Kai" posts, lol.
Looking through the documents filed with the CRTC, I found out that as of early January, Wow hadn't signed a single programming deal.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:...........................While we're on the subject of making financial sense, though.......I would also argue that it makes zero financial sense to pay for the dub of an entire 99-episode show before the producers had even secured a deal with a Canadian TV network. Especially when the producers knew that was the only way this dub would ever be seen. But that's another story.
This isn't that uncommon with Japanese companies. Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight was produced entirely without a broadcaster attached. I'm sure Toei paid for World Trigger's dub with the expectation of it airing on an outlet available in more than 10 households.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:I mean, comedic old man tone for a perverted old man...
I get that he has more serious moments, but that was a thing in the Japanese as well. That's how Toriyama tends to write some of his characters, specifically the mentors.
Here's the thing though. When Miyauchi delivered the serious moments, he delivered them in a serious tone; McFarland, on the other hand, delivered them in the same tone he uses for the comedic moments IIRC.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sabat's Yamcha still slips into surfer dude mode every now and then;
Scsigs wrote:It's not a bad voice for the character, though.
It always feels to me like a poor attempt to try sound cool. Furuya sounds effortlessly cool.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Do I even need to explain the problems with Schemmel's Kaio? How am I supposed to take Kaio seriously with this voice? True, Kaio is mostly a comic relief character, but even he has his serious moments.
Scsigs wrote:I get this. I said most of the voices. Personally, I can take the character seriously & don't think Ocean did much better, considering Schemmel's only imitating their actor's voice.
Sure, but what about the serious moments? Do you think Schemmel delivers them well? Better than Brown and Yanami?
8000 Saiyan wrote:There's never been a tolerable English voice for Buu; Josh Martin might be better than Scott McNeil and Corby Proctor in the part, but that doesn't mean much.
Scsigs wrote:I can understand this, but I actually like the voice. Given the character is meant to be a subversion of your expectations, since he's a giant pink blob who acts with the mental capacity of a child, the voice makes sense. In fact, I find the Japanese voice more jarring than his English one. I could care less about the 3rd person speech, but I feel FUNi's interpretation isn't any less valid than the Japanese one. In fact, I kind of prefer it in a way.
Why? Because it doesn't correspond to your idea of what Majin Buu is like as a character? Like, he has a childish personality, so he should sound very obvious that he's a child?
I mean, it's just a matter that I don't hate these actors' deliveries or the voices they use for the characters. The only character's voice I've outright hated in the DB dubs is Linda Young as Frieza, which is, thankfully, replaced with Chris Ayres' much better performance in the modern dubs, as well as Damon Mills supplementing his voice due to his illness. Also, Colleen Clinkenbeard as kid Gohan & Goku. I've never had a problem with any of the other voices to the point where I hate the. I've had issues with some of them, like Schemmel's early performances as Goku Black & the general voice direction of Z, but I don't outright hate the voices. And to answer your questions about what I assume are the Ocean & Japanese performances, I don't regularly watch Dragon Ball in Japanese dub of the show. I've seen clips & a few episodes of some of the shows at most in Japanese, but I watch anime dubbed without watching the sub, so I judge based on characterizations, character designs, voice tones, & acting performances. I also haven't seen much of the Ocean dub outside of clips. That's where I'm coming from here.
I think one thing sub fans don't take into account is if the voices work in the context of the show separated from the sub. I approach dubs from that perspective. I feel it's only fair to not compare to the sub.
To talk about the sub for a sec, though, the only VA I really don't care for from what I've seen & heard is Masako Nozawa. I'm sure she's a fine actress, but I both don't like her voice tone for Goku not fitting his character design (& I know that there's a nuance to her performance you don't get in the dub, but I don't speak Japanese, so she's still just speaking another language I don't understand much of), nor do I like her playing every male family member we've seen of his minus Raditz & every doppelganger outside of Black, where she tones her voice back & isn't grating. Their Buu also isn't what I would've expected. I understand that people don't like the English dub's Buu, but why does the Japanese one get a free pass? "Because it's the Japanese" isn't a viable excuse. I mean, I didn't expect high pitched, but why the one they chose? That's all I'll say there.
Yeah, it comes down to that I think most of the voices they have fit, what do you want from me?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:23 am

So you're one of those people who think that a voice should always match the physical stature of a character?

And really? Colleen Clinkenbeard is a much better actress than Stephanie Nadolny. I'm baffled that you have problems with her. Never understood why an innocent character like Gohan needed to have an overly raspy voice. And Goten to an extent, even though Nadolny didn't voice him.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:So you're one of those people who think that a voice should always match the physical stature of a character?
Let's be real though, a lot of what goes into the initial invention of a voice for a character does come from how they look.
8000 Saiyan wrote:And really? Colleen Clinkenbeard is a much better actress than Stephanie Nadolny. I'm baffled that you have problems with her. Never understood why an innocent character like Gohan needed to have an overly raspy voice. And Goten to an extent, even though Nadolny didn't voice him.
Scsigs isn't unique in this, it's a widespread thing that people are nostalgic for Nadolny's Gohan, and can't get into Clinkenbeard's Gohan. It's not a problem with Scsigs, it's the fact that fans who grew up on Funimation's dub generally want the voices they liked as a kid from that dub to stick around, even though approaching it as an adult who isn't nostalgic for these voices may yield the result that those actors can't act all that well.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:So you're one of those people who think that a voice should always match the physical stature of a character?
Let's be real though, a lot of what goes into the initial invention of a voice for a character does come from how they look.
Yeah, I know.
8000 Saiyan wrote:And really? Colleen Clinkenbeard is a much better actress than Stephanie Nadolny. I'm baffled that you have problems with her. Never understood why an innocent character like Gohan needed to have an overly raspy voice. And Goten to an extent, even though Nadolny didn't voice him.
Robo4900 wrote:Scsigs isn't unique in this, it's a widespread thing that people are nostalgic for Nadolny's Gohan, and can't get into Clinkenbeard's Gohan. It's not a problem with Scsigs, it's the fact that fans who grew up on Funimation's dub generally want the voices they liked as a kid from that dub to stick around, even though approaching it as an adult who isn't nostalgic for these voices may yield the result that those actors can't act all that well.
I also know that he isn't the only one.

And it's the same thing with Tiffany Vollmer and Monica Rial. Rial is just the better actress. She's only liked because they grew up with her. It's funny: Tiffany was basically someone that they picked from the streets while Lalainia Lindbjerg and Maggie Blue O'Hara were already experienced actresses; in fact, they've been acting ever since they were children.

At least, they knew something about acting while Tiffany didn't.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:48 pm

And really? Colleen Clinkenbeard is a much better actress than Stephanie Nadolny. I'm baffled that you have problems with her. Never understood why an innocent character like Gohan needed to have an overly raspy voice. And Goten to an extent, even though Nadolny didn't voice him.
Yeah, I am. That's the entire point of voice acting. You can have the best voice for a character a lot easier than you can a live action actor for a part. The way I see it is that Nozawa was kept for Goku, & subsequently given MORE roles, because the people behind the franchise love her, same as everyone else who's been kept over time. Now, she seems like a pleasant person from what I've seen & heard of her, but yes. Her voice creates vocal dissonance for me & others who try to give the Japanese version of the series a shot. Same as Mayumi Tanaka as Krillin. Say what you want about Sonny Strait, but I have an easier time listening to his voice for him than Tanaka's. Sorry if you don't agree. I mean, foreign dubs of the shows & movies use male actors for them for a reason.

Colleen's take is such a vastly different one from Nadolny's, as Nadolny had a much gruffer voice. I get why people don't like her take. I don't agree that she sounded like Bobby Hill, & I wouldn't care if she were recast with someone else if I felt the voice fit just as well, if not moreso. I'm fine with the majority of the other Kai recasts, I've come around on Monica Rial as Bulma since she, while having a more shrill take than Vollmer (seriously, it's the same exact voice tone as Lanipator's wife's, which, while not awful, isn't always pleasant to hear), has more acting range than her. Looking back, Vollmer, while serviceable, isn't as great as it could be. Clinkenbeard, while having more range than Nadolny, doesn't have the voice tone I'd be looking for for Gohan. It's the same exact voice tone she uses for Monkey D. Luffy, only not as deep (ironically, though, if you listen to her takes as Gohan & Goku in Xenoverse, it's the exact same tone to Luffy) & I can't really get over that. It's a problem of having gotten used to Nadolny & Clinkenbeard's take being so vastly different, yet not being a definitely positive one like Chris Ayres as Frieza sorry. On top of that, Clinkenbeard didn't have much power in her screams. When Nadolny screamed, you felt it. It's kinda like Sean Schemmel VS Kirby Morrow. Kirby was the better actor in Z, but Schemmel had power in his voice when needed. Hell, he STILL does & now has the acting chops to go with it.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Scsigs isn't unique in this, it's a widespread thing that people are nostalgic for Nadolny's Gohan, and can't get into Clinkenbeard's Gohan. It's not a problem with Scsigs, it's the fact that fans who grew up on Funimation's dub generally want the voices they liked as a kid from that dub to stick around, even though approaching it as an adult who isn't nostalgic for these voices may yield the result that those actors can't act all that well.
I also know that he isn't the only one.

And it's the same thing with Tiffany Vollmer and Monica Rial. Rial is just the better actress. She's only liked because they grew up with her. It's funny: Tiffany was basically someone that they picked from the streets while Lalainia Lindbjerg and Maggie Blue O'Hara were already experienced actresses; in fact, they've been acting ever since they were children.

At least, they knew something about acting while Tiffany didn't.
I mean, it's partially nostalgia, partly having gotten used to Nadolny & not hating her. Hell, I don't even hate Clinkenbeard as Luffy, but I know people who do. On top of that, almost everyone else that was a good pick from Z stuck around for Kai & were better actors by then, so I'd love to hear Nadolny with better voice acting in Kai. I've already addressed Rial, so not much more to say about that. Yeah, take my words or not, this is how I feel, sorry.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:55 pm

You don't need to apologize. I clearly accept your opinions, even if I don't agree with them. :D

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:You don't need to apologize. I clearly accept your opinions, even if I don't agree with them. :D
Good to hear, er, read.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 am

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:20 pm

I was listening to that interview earlier and it struck me as really strange how Kelamis said that him leaving the Westwood dub wasn't due to him pursuing his comedy career, but supposedly because the dub was actually stopped a 2nd time. This is really odd as there was never any break in the UK broadcast between Peter's last episode and Kirby's first, which were both Time Chamber training episodes that aired one after the other.

It was also interesting how he said they dubbed episodes out of order and were "all over the place", and dubbed several episodes a day. That certainly lines up with what Scott McNeil has said in the past at least. And it also further explains how the Westwood dub turned out to be so poor overall. Had they been given a better schedule to work with I'm sure the finished product would have been significantly better and the Ocean cast would be seen in a much more positive light among the fandom.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:34 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
I was listening to that interview earlier and it struck me as really strange how Kelamis said that him leaving the Westwood dub wasn't due to him pursuing his comedy career, but supposedly because the dub was actually stopped a 2nd time. This is really odd as there was never any break in the UK broadcast between Peter's last episode and Kirby's first, which were both Time Chamber training episodes that aired one after the other.

It was also interesting how he said they dubbed episodes out of order and were "all over the place", and dubbed several episodes a day. That certainly lines up with what Scott McNeil has said in the past at least. And it also further explains how the Westwood dub turned out to be so poor overall. Had they been given a better schedule to work with I'm sure the finished product would have been significantly better and the Ocean cast would be seen in a much more positive light among the fandom.
They also should have cast some people in the right roles.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:04 pm

90sDBZ wrote:

To be fair, episodes are dubbed way before they're actually put out on TV and home video. Even with FUNimation's Kai dub, where they were on a time crunch because of network deadlines on the part of Nicktoons, it took until May of 2010 for FUNimation's first home video release of Kai, despite the fact that they began dubbing in December of '09. And that's with both network deadlines and the ease of digital editing technology. I have been told that, "back in the day," analog editing technology made audio mixing for a dub an incredibly long and painstaking process. So I'm sure it's entirely possible that even if the Westwood dub didn't stop airing, it stopped production. Then, when they began dubbing again, they dubbed things...chaotically, but quickly enough that there wasn't a need for a break in the airing schedule.

I absolutely agree by the way, if they had a more relaxed schedule, I'm sure they could have put out a much more solid product. Quite frankly, given the time crunch and general pressure they were under, I'm surprised it even came out as well as it did. If they had combined a more reasonable recording schedule with using the original music (like the Blue Water dubs did for DB and DBGT), then damn would that have been amazing.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:16 pm

After listening to this voice (http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... d-Transyl/), it makes me sad that they didn't get David Kaye to voice Cell since he could have given Dameon Clarke some real competition.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:35 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I was listening to that interview earlier and it struck me as really strange how Kelamis said that him leaving the Westwood dub wasn't due to him pursuing his comedy career, but supposedly because the dub was actually stopped a 2nd time. This is really odd as there was never any break in the UK broadcast between Peter's last episode and Kirby's first, which were both Time Chamber training episodes that aired one after the other.
Considering that you say after this that they had a rushed schedule with dubbing the episodes & dubbed some of them out of order, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone. It's common knowledge at this point that the continuation of the Ocean dub was incredibly rushed, most likely to get as many episodes ready by the time the UK caught up to the US airings as fast as possible, considering that the AB Groupe wanted to have a cheaper dub to export across the pond.
90sDBZ wrote:It was also interesting how he said they dubbed episodes out of order and were "all over the place", and dubbed several episodes a day. That certainly lines up with what Scott McNeil has said in the past at least. And it also further explains how the Westwood dub turned out to be so poor overall. Had they been given a better schedule to work with I'm sure the finished product would have been significantly better and the Ocean cast would be seen in a much more positive light among the fandom.
Given that they had the FUNi scripts, I doubt it.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Scsigs wrote:It's common knowledge at this point that the continuation of the Ocean dub was incredibly rushed, most likely to get as many episodes ready by the time the UK caught up to the US airings as fast as possible, considering that the AB Groupe wanted to have a cheaper dub to export across the pond.
I'm not so sure about that. The Westwood dub was a union dub under ACTRA, the Canadian union, whereas FUNimation's dub was non-union. Without knowing exactly what FUNimation's rates were back then, I can't say for sure it was more expensive, but I highly doubt it.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:59 am

Scsigs wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:I was listening to that interview earlier and it struck me as really strange how Kelamis said that him leaving the Westwood dub wasn't due to him pursuing his comedy career, but supposedly because the dub was actually stopped a 2nd time. This is really odd as there was never any break in the UK broadcast between Peter's last episode and Kirby's first, which were both Time Chamber training episodes that aired one after the other.
Considering that you say after this that they had a rushed schedule with dubbing the episodes & dubbed some of them out of order, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone. It's common knowledge at this point that the continuation of the Ocean dub was incredibly rushed, most likely to get as many episodes ready by the time the UK caught up to the US airings as fast as possible, considering that the AB Groupe wanted to have a cheaper dub to export across the pond.
90sDBZ wrote:It was also interesting how he said they dubbed episodes out of order and were "all over the place", and dubbed several episodes a day. That certainly lines up with what Scott McNeil has said in the past at least. And it also further explains how the Westwood dub turned out to be so poor overall. Had they been given a better schedule to work with I'm sure the finished product would have been significantly better and the Ocean cast would be seen in a much more positive light among the fandom.
Given that they had the FUNi scripts, I doubt it.
The main point I was trying to make was that it's strange that the dub would randomly shut down production at that particular point for long enough for Kelamis to get tired and leave, which has never been documented before. And yes I'm well aware of the hectic situation behind the scenes of that dub, which is why I mentioned the Scott McNeil quotes and the low quality of the finished product.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Scsigs wrote:It's common knowledge at this point that the continuation of the Ocean dub was incredibly rushed, most likely to get as many episodes ready by the time the UK caught up to the US airings as fast as possible, considering that the AB Groupe wanted to have a cheaper dub to export across the pond.
I'm not so sure about that. The Westwood dub was a union dub under ACTRA, the Canadian union, whereas FUNimation's dub was non-union. Without knowing exactly what FUNimation's rates were back then, I can't say for sure it was more expensive, but I highly doubt it.
You're right in that it would be impossible to say for sure which dub cost more to produce. However there was the Faulconer royalty situation to consider, and the rushed Westwood schedule could have meant the actors were paid for less takes and also less skilled voice directors.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:54 am

90sDBZ wrote:The main point I was trying to make was that it's strange that the dub would randomly shut down production at that particular point for long enough for Kelamis to get tired and leave
Peter Kelamis left right around the time Saffron Henderson left too, so it's possible there were production issues that arose from that; finding a new Gohan voice may have taken some time, and perhaps they wanted to have Goku resume recording when the actor playing him had some time to hear the new Gohan so he knew what he was playing off of, so in the meantime they focused on the other parts, which may have worked out okay, since Gohan and Goku weren't in it a whole ton during that time.

From Kelamis's perspective: No Goku for a little while. So, he booked some other work, then was unable to return as Goku when they asked him back.

Y'know, the more I hear about the Westwood dub's production, with how rushed and chaotic it was, the more it surprises me how Funi still managed to turn out a worse end product.

Ultimately, though, I'm so glad both groups have had the chance to do a Kai dub. The Funi cast finally became good, and hopefully when Ocean Kai airs, the Ocean cast will finally have a consistent, complete dub. No more dealing with two compromised messes of dubs. Assuming Ocean Kai turns out good, both casts will finally have a solid, complete dub out, so we can just enjoy our preferred casts in a reasonably consistent manner. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Like I said before, the Funimation and Westwood dubs are both on the same level for me. Neither dub is better or worse than the other.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:57 pm

Robo4900 wrote: ...

Ultimately, though, I'm so glad both groups have had the chance to do a Kai dub.
If only the Kai dub will ever the see the light of day or even an accidental leak. It's a shame they couldn't/wouldn't get Peter Kelamis back (I assume Ian would never do it given he left due to monetary reasons) but it would have been nice to have Drummond, Henderson,and Mcneil back.

The Funi cast finally became good,
I thought the principle players mostly improved when they did the 05 redub of the first 67 episodes its just a pity for the most part they go back to be shoddy. But even listening to Sabat's Piccolo during the Buu saga in Z vs Kai is such an amazing world of difference.

And even the remastered dub as a whole just feels so fundamentally broken you have Schemmel doing well enough for two seasons and then suddenly sucking in season 3 since he never bothered to rerecord his lines like Sabat appeared to.
and hopefully when Ocean Kai airs, the Ocean cast will finally have a consistent, complete dub.
I just wish the Ocean cast would have at least been able to finish the Freeza saga. Instead we had at the time inexperience no talent cast doing what they though the Ocean dub would sound like I guess.

8000 Saiyan wrote:Like I said before, the Funimation and Westwood dubs are both on the same level for me. Neither dub is better or worse than the other.
[/quote]

A bunch of cell phones going off on vibrate vs SNES music