Do you think FighterZ's DLC should have any oddball characters?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Do you think FighterZ's DLC should have any oddball characters?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:26 pm

When I mean for a "oddball" character, it's an unusual character that nobody really expects but the overall reception will be determined by how they play. 1 or 2 will seem appropriate.

My 1st candidate is Kid Goku. After Master Roshi, he is the distant 2nd most likely Dragon Ball rep being the face of it so he's definitely not sort of material. I could see him as a character with an excellent close-ranged game with a decent long-range game but non-existent mid-range game making him a relatively safe (thanks to no other than his trusty Power Pole) rushdown character opposed to his more balanced adult self. Fitting as he relied a lot more on brute force and tenacity as a kid.

My 2nd candidate is Chi-Chi, specifically 23rd Budokai Chi-Chi. Not just for more female and OG Dragon Ball rep but it could lead to the western audience having a greater appreciation for the character especially in wake of the madness going on over the past couple years. She has more than enough material for normals between the anime and manga so I think ArcSystem can get creative with what's there like Super DBZ (where she was essentially Chun-Li with OG Dragon Ball items) only the moveset should compliment her actual fighting style more so drop the Power Pole and add one Turtle Hermit technique as reference to her proficiency in said style... or make her like Jam from Guilty Gear (no projectiles or ranged attacks but killer kung fu moves). This may be a pipe dream but it would be cool if it happened.

Besides those two, there's Yajirobe who is a samurai, a powerhouse, and a "joke" character rolled into one. Also King Piccolo for his summoning ability (his children are all have their own unique attributes), brutal fighting style, and cunning moves.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Do you think FighterZ's DLC should have any oddball characters?

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 pm

If we're talking oddballs the early DBZ Movies are full of them. These are the ones I'd like as DLC:

Nikki/Cinnamon - Dead Zone
Misokatsun - World's Strongest
Cacao - Tree of Might
Medamatcha - Lord Slug

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:29 pm

At this point most fans would probably consider Caulifla to be an oddball character simply for having breasts.
Last edited by KBABZ on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 pm

It needs Katopesla, the true hero of the tournament.

But seriously, his gameplay gimmick being you do a command kind of like Ginyu, where you cycle through his list of abilities, but it'd be the buffs to his suit like increased damage, increased speed etc. We need this man in a Dragon Ball game.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Well, if you really want to go weird, Oolong could always be introduced as a playable character. It think that would be a first for him. His ability to transform could have a lot of potential for creative attacks.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:10 am

ZeroNeonix wrote:Well, if you really want to go weird, Oolong could always be introduced as a playable character. It think that would be a first for him. His ability to transform could have a lot of potential for creative attacks.
Great idea. I would love this. Maybe throw in some capsule-based attacks.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:22 am

Mr.Satan can fit in.
My English is poor .

Battojutsu

Post by Battojutsu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:22 pm

I'd like to see more female fighters which would probably be limited to just caulifla/kale at this point. I like the idea of yajirobe being it but for me my "wacky" character would be Neko Majin.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:44 pm

I say bring in Violet or Bora for some less obvious choices. Hell, how about Idasa's Mom?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:58 am

If we're talking oddball characters I think any character from one of Toriyama's one shots would be cool. Or Arale, she shows up every now and then anyway.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:01 am

The franchise has some well-known characters, which are underestimated. Such as Chi-Chi, Jaco, Mr. Satan, Videl... Their inclusion is laughable for some people. "They did not show anything good", "They are weaklings", etc. People want Vegitto and Gogeta, and it's completely safe pick. People just don't want to notice, that characters like Mr. Satan can be more unique gameplay-wise, than fan-favorite characters. Just look on Captain Ginyu. I thought he will be boring. He's really boring as solo character, IMHO. But they did not make him solo character, instead it's a whole Ginyu Force as one character, and it's really fun to play.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Ranmaru Rei wrote:The franchise has some well-known characters, which are underestimated. Such as Chi-Chi, Jaco, Mr. Satan, Videl... Their inclusion is laughable for some people. "They did not show anything good", "They are weaklings", etc. People want Vegitto and Gogeta, and it's completely safe pick. People just don't want to notice, that characters like Mr. Satan can be more unique gameplay-wise, than fan-favorite characters. Just look on Captain Ginyu. I thought he will be boring. He's really boring as solo character, IMHO. But they did not make him solo character, instead it's a whole Ginyu Force as one character, and it's really fun to play.
Exactly. I have even told and shown people that the likes of Chi-Chi and Videl certainly have what it takes of being playable characters.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38888&start=4920#p1488755

https://dhochoyblog.wordpress.com/2018/ ... e-version/
https://dhochoyblog.wordpress.com/2017/ ... -fighterz/

Too bad the producer already shut down any chance of Mr. Satan being playable. I guess this applies to Jaco and Yajirobe as well.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Since Tao Pai Pai was already shot down by the creators, that makes him among the least expected.

He is my oddball choice.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:48 am

I love to play as Lunch/Launch. She never got to be playable in any DBZ game except for Dokkan, and just the idea of having to play as her would be awesome. So yeah, she's my DragOddBall choice. (Pun intended)
Caulifla best girl! :)

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:18 pm

I like being surprised. Having a roster of the expected is kind of boring. I mean, you obviously have to get the mainstays in, but after that it should be the wild, wild West City.

Especially when it comes to DLC. Fill the base roster with the usual suspects and one or two unexpected choices, then populate DLC with madness.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:43 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I love to play as Lunch/Launch. She never got to be playable in any DBZ game except for Dokkan, and just the idea of having to play as her would be awesome. So yeah, she's my DragOddBall choice. (Pun intended)
This was my first choice as well, I would love Launch and basically any kind of OG Dragon Ball representation. It'd be hilarious to see her going up against characters like Beerus with a sub-machine gun and rocket launcher, and if there's one thing FighterZ needs it's more female characters. I'm not even saying that to be feminist, I just think the Dragon Ball girls are cute and I want to play as them, and that includes Bulma (her special attack being running you over) and Chi-Chi in her 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament get-up.

Ranmaru Rei wrote:The franchise has some well-known characters, which are underestimated. Such as Chi-Chi, Jaco, Mr. Satan, Videl... Their inclusion is laughable for some people. "They did not show anything good", "They are weaklings", etc. People want Vegitto and Gogeta, and it's completely safe pick. People just don't want to notice, that characters like Mr. Satan can be more unique gameplay-wise, than fan-favorite characters. Just look on Captain Ginyu. I thought he will be boring. He's really boring as solo character, IMHO. But they did not make him solo character, instead it's a whole Ginyu Force as one character, and it's really fun to play.
People who think like that are boring. There are 100 other games you can play if you want to play as Vegitto or whoever, these people seem to forget that comedy has always been a staple of the series and it should be represented as such. Just as you said, a character being a "joke" doesn't mean they can't play in interesting ways and be a valuable addition to the roster. "Oh no, we can't have them because they're not powerful enough!" :roll: Fuck off is all I have to say to them.