In defense of Goku in Smash bros

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

In defense of Goku in Smash bros

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:23 pm

I know him being a anime character keeps him out of smash but
Maybe Xeno Goku could be dlc down the line as he is a video game exclusive version of Goku and has been in 2 3ds exclusive games.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: In defense of Goku in Smash bros

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Maybe Kid Goku would work? Would certainly fit the theme more.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:48 am

No the only exception that is possible is Mickey.

Why you would ask because it is the only mascot of the compagny who are both a video game mascot for Disney and their digital branch as well as the animated mascot branch.

Goku won't be in smash bros ever.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 am

The only potential argument I'd consider legit for Goku being added to Smash Bros. is the fact that he's the anime character to appear in more video games than any other character. Even that I'd call a weaker argument though, since beyond that, he's still a manga/anime character long before he's a video game character.

Smash Bros. started out being a celebration of Nintendo, and while it's grown into being a celebration of gaming in general to a degree, I'd personally prefer if it kept it at just that, games. Having Sonic, Pac-Man, Snake, Ryu, and Cloud (though really, they couldn't have given a FF character that actually appeared on a Nintendo console before?) are all extensions of that, and likewise, I'd be more interested in seeing the likes of say, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Lara Croft, or even Master Chief, in Smash than I would Goku. That's not to say I wouldn't play as him if he was there, but I'd be sort of grumbling the entire time.

It's more or less the way I feel about Injustice 2 at this point too when I see suggestions for any random character to be added there. It's primarily a DC celebration fighting game (with tiny sprinkles of Mortal Kombat since they're made by the same studio), but with DLC adding in characters like Hellboy and the TMNT, the series could potentially grow into being a celebration of comics in general. And while an argument could again be raised for Goku there, being a manga character, it'd still feel like a bit of a stretch honestly.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Smash’s rule of only having characters who have originated from video games is a real limiter for the series. Goku has broken the smash ballot beating out many other voted characters several times but due to the rule, he never got put in. Without that stupid rule, Smash would be WAY more popular just with Goku alone.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:34 pm

I've never been a fan of the idea of anime characters (not just Goku, but also others like Naruto or even somebody from an anime that was loosely based on a game -- like some of the characters from the Kirby anime who weren't ever in the games, or Ash from Pokémon) showing up in Super Smash Bros. The whole idea is that it's supposed to be all video game characters, starting with Nintendo exclusives and expanding slightly whenever other major game companies want to contribute a character.

(and before anyone tries to say otherwise... no, the "Pokémon Trainer" from Brawl was not Ash, despite the fact that they randomly gave him Ash's voice. It's Red, the main character of the first-generation games and their remakes, who also appeared as the final optional boss in Gold/Silver/Crystal. I'm still annoyed that they didn't give him his actual name instead of "Pokémon Trainer.")

They've drifted away from the "classic Nintendo characters" theme a bit in the most recent installment (...I mean, Wii Fit Trainer? really?), and the Pokémon additions have always been skewed a little bit too much toward the anime rather than which ones are actually notable in the game world, but I don't see them ever shifting away from it being a "video game characters only" thing. Goku is not a video game character, he's a manga/anime character who later had video games based on his series.
and Cloud (though really, they couldn't have given a FF character that actually appeared on a Nintendo console before?)
Cloud was in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA. Of course, KH-Cloud isn't quite the same character as FF7-Cloud and the FF7 version is the one who's in Smash Bros. now... but some version of Cloud has indeed been in a game for a Nintendo system.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Honestly, while I love seeing retro games added more than anything (you have no idea how much I spazzed out at the introduction of Duck Hunt), I'm okay with stuff like the Wii Fit Trainer and now the Squidlings from Splatoon making it in. Nintendo's gotta push the newest IP's after all.
Pantalones wrote:Cloud was in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA. Of course, KH-Cloud isn't quite the same character as FF7-Cloud and the FF7 version is the one who's in Smash Bros. now... but some version of Cloud has indeed been in a game for a Nintendo system.
You got me there though, I completely forgot about that being a GBA game originally. :lol: Probably because I try to forget Chain of Memories for the most part really. It still bugs me though - if they wanted to add a Final Fantasy character, they had six perfectly good games to select a character from rather than just grabbing Cloud for VII's sake. Again though, still far more okay with his inclusion than I would be the likes of Goku, since at least Cloud is still a video game character originally.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Honestly, while I love seeing retro games added more than anything (you have no idea how much I spazzed out at the introduction of Duck Hunt), I'm okay with stuff like the Wii Fit Trainer and now the Squidlings from Splatoon making it in. Nintendo's gotta push the newest IP's after all.
Pantalones wrote:Cloud was in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA. Of course, KH-Cloud isn't quite the same character as FF7-Cloud and the FF7 version is the one who's in Smash Bros. now... but some version of Cloud has indeed been in a game for a Nintendo system.
You got me there though, I completely forgot about that being a GBA game originally. :lol: Probably because I try to forget Chain of Memories for the most part really. It still bugs me though - if they wanted to add a Final Fantasy character, they had six perfectly good games to select a character from rather than just grabbing Cloud for VII's sake. Again though, still far more okay with his inclusion than I would be the likes of Goku, since at least Cloud is still a video game character originally.
Snake wasn't in any Nintendo game either when he was first included, right? I mean, the original Metal Gear(s) was on the NES, but they clearly based his model and gameplay on the Solid design (specifically MGS2). He's mostly a non-Nintendo property, and one people would most associate with Sony instead.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:59 am

Doctor. wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Honestly, while I love seeing retro games added more than anything (you have no idea how much I spazzed out at the introduction of Duck Hunt), I'm okay with stuff like the Wii Fit Trainer and now the Squidlings from Splatoon making it in. Nintendo's gotta push the newest IP's after all.
Snake wasn't in any Nintendo game either when he was first included, right? I mean, the original Metal Gear(s) was on the NES, but they clearly based his model and gameplay on the Solid design (specifically MGS2). He's mostly a non-Nintendo property, and one people would most associate with Sony instead.
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel on the GBC, and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on the GameCube.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:14 am

Nia wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Metal Gear: Ghost Babel on the GBC, and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on the GameCube.
Was Snake in Ghost Babel? Never played that one. And I thankfully forgot Twin Snakes was a thing :lol:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:06 am

Doctor. wrote:Snake wasn't in any Nintendo game either when he was first included, right? I mean, the original Metal Gear(s) was on the NES, but they clearly based his model and gameplay on the Solid design (specifically MGS2). He's mostly a non-Nintendo property, and one people would most associate with Sony instead.
While the model and such was definitely based more on the 'Solid' series, the actual character of Solid Snake at least was on Nintendo via the original two Metal Gear games, so I didn't really have a problem with that. Plus, Brawl was the first one that started to open the doors to Smash being a celebration of gaming in general rather than just Nintendo (though still geared primarily towards it), with the inclusion of both Snake and Sonic.

Again, that's my main issue with the idea of adding in Goku. It's not that he's a character with games on other consoles, it's that he's not really a game character at all. He's a manga/anime character that happens to appear in games. To include him would basically just open way too many doors that really don't need opened. I mean, if they can toss in Goku just because he does exist in games, what's to stop them from adding, I dunno, Peter Griffin? There've been Family Guy video games for example. :P

That and, I'll be honest, I just don't really feel a huge amount of need to play as Goku in Smash, because I can play as him in so many other video games. It's the same reason I wasn't as excited for him in J-Stars. Sure, I'd have been severely disappointed if he wasn't included in that one (because again, going by what a game is supposed to be about, J-Stars is a celebration of Shonen Jump, so it lacking Goku WOULD have been an issue), but I can play as him on just about every video game system I've got. Yusuke Urameshi though? Himura Kenshin? These are guys I can't play with in many other games, so they got my attention way faster than Goku did.
Twitter

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:56 am

Doctor. wrote:
Nia wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Snake wasn't in any Nintendo game either when he was first included, right? I mean, the original Metal Gear(s) was on the NES, but they clearly based his model and gameplay on the Solid design (specifically MGS2). He's mostly a non-Nintendo property, and one people would most associate with Sony instead.
Was Snake in Ghost Babel? Never played that one. And I thankfully forgot Twin Snakes was a thing :lol:
Solid Snake was indeed in Ghost Babel.

Personally I prefer Twin Snakes over the PS1 version. :silent:

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Ok, this is getting suspicious...

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:21 pm

First this tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/FUNimation/s ... 5580821510

And now this?: https://mobile.twitter.com/IGN/status/9 ... 4198261760

And Toei even replied to it.

I don’t know man. SMASH already knows how many want Goku in the game since he’s won the Smash ballot multiple times and with these tweets, I'm getting suspicious.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Ok, this is getting suspicious...

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:42 pm

It's one of those Omni King type deals with me where I'd be like technically that's against the rules of Smash's "video game origin characters only", but I really like Gokû so I'd be ok with it.

But of course I'd also want Nozawa Gokû both because personal preference and because then I could pit Nozawa's Gokû against Horikawa's Captain Falcon.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Re: Ok, this is getting suspicious...

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:37 pm

I think you're overestimating what information the person who runs the social media accounts for the companies that localize shows and rate games is privy to. They are just posting to post.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Goku? In Smash Bros??

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

So glad the rule of "characters introduced from video games" is a thing for Smash. I love Goku, but man he'd be such an odd choice.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:50 am

Cloud was also in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, and Final Fantasy Explorers for the 3DS.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 am

Budokai 1 was on GameCube and several Kai games were on the DS so Goku has been in Nintendo games.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:49 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Cloud was also in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, and Final Fantasy Explorers for the 3DS.
Again though, that's just a minor complaint from me, given that Smash has started to be more about gaming in general than just 100% Nintendo based. I just mostly feel it would have been more fitting to have a character from an earlier Final Fantasy that had been primarily on Nintendo.
GTx10 wrote:Budokai 1 was on GameCube and several Kai games were on the DS so Goku has been in Nintendo games.
That's...hardly the same thing at all though. :wtf: That's like saying that since Goku has been in a ton of PlayStation games, he should have made the roster of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale too.

Again, at the end of the day, Goku is not a gaming character. He's a manga and anime character that just happens to have a ton of video games featuring him. At the point that we add him into Smash, we may as well add in Naruto because of all the Naruto games, or Ben 10, or Homer Simpson, or Spider-Man, or any other character that just so happens to have appeared in a bunch of video games. There's no telling where it would end, and as a result, Smash would lose the very charm that makes it Smash in the first place.
Twitter

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:55 pm

Smash hasn't been "Smash" since Melee in my opinion because Brawl and 4 play and feel so different from Melee and the original and not in a good way. But at least Son Goku has been in Nintendo systems. Plus he's always requested so why not honor that for one installment? Make him DLC and call it a day.
Naruto and other anime characters are kind of irrelevant because "Dragon Ball's Son Goku in Super Smash" would sell like hotcakes. If Bayonetta, Ryu, and Cloud can Smash then Goku should Smash too. Besides if Sonic appears in Smash 5 then the whole" Nintendo only" flies out the Window.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208