Piccolo needs a new power-up

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Piccolo needs a new power-up

Post by Sonofman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:07 am

I think Piccolo should receive a new power-up form. He's pretty weak as of right now compared to the Saiyans. I remember when Piccolo was the strongest Z character when he fused with Nail during the namek arc (except against Frieza). When he fused with Kami, he even achieved a greater power than the pre-SS form. But now since the Cell saga, he's been pretty much useless in most fights. He wasn't able to do anything against Majin Buu, against Beerus, even against Frost, and he didn't do a whole lot at the ToP arc either. I think it's time Piccolo gets a buff to at least match up to a SSG form Goku, or maybe a whole new storyline about the origins of the Namekians! Too much story telling of Saiyans and what not. We need an arc about Namekians and their secret powers. What are all your thoughts about it?
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Piccolo needs a new power-up

Post by Grimlock » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:19 am

That is what I have been saying all the time. A transformation is utterly necessary for him. I get that Goku is the protagonist and he'll get stuff even from out of nowhere, but others should get something too.

And ways to give Piccolo something is not a problem, heck, Namekuseijins already even their own transformation but the series refuses to use it at once.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:46 am

I'm wary of new transformations, specifically when it comes to him. His design is one of the best things about him, and given that modern DB is a hit or miss when it comes to these things, he might end up looking rather silly. I was never really fond of the neo-namekian design from DB online, though there other variations that look okay.

Though the red eyed form I've been seeing in the games seems to be cool concept. Anyway, still think he is the prime contender for Kaio Ken, but I'm sure they'll find a way to give it to Vegeta before they'd give it to him....

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Honestly, I think giving him an "Ultimate" state like Gohan would be for the best.

In doing this, the two of them continue their trend of getting stronger together and are competitive with each other now. Will it happen? Most likely not. However, I think it's the most reasonable avenue, should it happen.

Piccolo doesn't need to transform, but he can still get impressive power out of it.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:41 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Honestly, I think giving him an "Ultimate" state like Gohan would be for the best.

In doing this, the two of them continue their trend of getting stronger together and are competitive with each other now. Will it happen? Most likely not. However, I think it's the most reasonable avenue, should it happen.

Piccolo doesn't need to transform, but he can still get impressive power out of it.
Ok but that wouldn't make any sense because Gohan's "Ultimate" form is a function of his immense potential coming to the surface. However, Piccolo was never established to have some insane potential that needs to be unleashed so the "Ultimate" form wouldn't really be a good fit for him.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:05 pm

I'd just want something for Piccolo that allows him to stay on par with the Saiyans.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:33 pm

What would it even look like? Would Piccolo glow a bright emerald-green and grow taller & more muscular? Maybe some sparks? His antennae increasing in length? Maybe even a large slug-like tail?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

supersaiyangodgogeta
Regular

Post by supersaiyangodgogeta » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:01 am

He's fine as he is now. He beat SSJ Gohan while he had weights on and that same Gohan was capable of contending with SSJ Goku.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 am

Maybe he can absorb those U6 Namekians, then he can keep up with the next big bad for half an arc before he's surpassed by Goku and Vegeta again.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:34 am

I wouldn't mind him getting a power-up, but what would it do to service his character at this stage?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:40 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I wouldn't mind him getting a power-up, but what would it do to service his character at this stage?
What have Goku"s power-ups done to service his character at this stage?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:58 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I wouldn't mind him getting a power-up, but what would it do to service his character at this stage?
Coming up with a plot point that would require him to get a power-up is the easiest part, especially considering he's one of the characters whose life revolves around training and marial arts (I know Super made is seem like it revolves around Gohan, but still....)

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 pm

:silent:

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:
There was that reveal when he achieved MUI that he fights for nakama :]

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:53 pm

GigaDrill wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
We've known that since Goku met Umigame.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:55 pm

Doctor. wrote:
GigaDrill wrote:
Doctor. wrote: What have Goku"s power-ups done to service his character at this stage?
We've known that since Goku met Umigame.
SS4 did it better too ;)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:01 pm

Start milking the Namekian race ! lol I wouldn't mind though so for a transformation I have a proposal taking into account already produce template from Dragon Ball Online. Don't take into account the female namekian idea concept just focus on the transformation.

Here is the concept/idea of how Namekians could have transformations in the same veins as the Saiyans. So like you can see the transformation will be as follow, look the following picture then see the explanation after.

-Super Namekian 1 the antennas arise and become some sort of horns.
-Super Namekian 2 the antennas/horns grow and and join the back of the skull forming an arc.
-Super Namekian 3 the inside of the circular arc fills up and forms a kind of winglet. (A la Cell explaining why Cell perfect shape had this form in his winglet head skull)

I got also an idea of some sort of Saiyan-jin 4 for Namekian look at this picture click on the spoiler bellow

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
From Deviantartist:
SuperSaiyanGod-Zilla.

Then we just need to think about a God form and also we can pull a Migatte no Gokui for a our dear Namekian. 8)
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Piccolo seems to be the one non Saiyan Z-fighter whom many fans don't appear to have any issues with getting back up to par with the Saiyans; probably has to do with the precedent having already been set in the Cell arc.

Me? I think it would have very simple to keep Piccolo competitive. Kaioken is the obvious de-facto solution here. Sure, Super Saiyan is inherently more powerful than the last multiplier that was reached for the technique, but Piccolo was already close enough to the Super Saiyans where a simple multiplier of x2 would likely have put him ahead of them again, or at worst, x3. The second and third transformations wouldn't pose much issue either since Kaioken, at its last developed stage before getting phased out, could go up x20. Toriyama really did his alleged favourite character a disservice by not giving him what he needed to keep up.

With the current arrangement, all Piccolo needs really is some god ki to get him back up to the same league as the Saiyans. I'm very much against introducing new transformations because there's already plenty available to get these characters back up to comparable level. Combine a possible legend from the Namekian book of legends with god ki, some Whis training, and a little Kaioken acquisition and you have someone who's probably going to have some MSSJB heads rolling. You don't even need any potential unlocks, though something like Gohan's "Ultimate" treatment would quite possibly create a situation akin to Piccolo after initially fusing with Kami. Instead of Vegeta, you might have Piccolo taking on Toppo and walking away only moderately damaged to help in the fight against Jiren.

Now that I say it out loud, it just makes the tragedy of the situation that much worse. Piccolo really was dealt a bad hand after his fight with #17. What's really unfortunate is the fact that we, as viewers, know how Piccolo could sensibly have been written to keep up if the desire were there. Toriyama just doesn't seem to be interested in that, however.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:21 pm

If anything he needs a new costume.

He's had the same two looks for the entirety of the series. One with the Cape and Turban and one without. Aside from that there was a filler episode where he wore casual clothes.

Other characters have had new outfits but he just looks the same all the time.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:52 pm

I'd love for him to get stronger, but not equal to Goku or the others. The thing I like about him is that he's strong but fights by using his brain and all his awesome techniques. I feel his perfect place would be at around SSJG level, then using all his moves (extending his arms, maybe growing giant) to keep up with everyone.