Is Goku a hero in Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Dragono
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby Dragono » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:06 am

So I was watching MisatreFusion's video on this topic, which I disagree with strongly but respect his points, and something occurred to me when watching it? He refers to Goku as a caricature in super but the moments he uses for saying Goku is a hero in the beginning of dragon ball are things he does in super as well to what I would say a greater extent.

The first moment he uses was Goku helping Turtle without any compensation but in episode 77 of super, Goku pulls over in his truck while on his way to work to help the robbers without any compensation.

The second example he uses is that when Goku gathers the dragon ball to make his wish to revive king kai, He gives up the first wish for Pan and helps Bulma with her project before he makes his wish.

What differs now?

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6286
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:32 am

Well, let's see:

-He lies constantly to his friends and family.
-He uses others for his own benefit (see: his treatment of King Kai).
-Has no respect for authority as shown with him punching at Monaka for no reason despite Beerus telling him not to and when he selfishly ignored Beerus' warnings about Zeno.
-Doesn't seem to care trillions will die as long as he gets a good fight.

Now the worst of them all:

HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT KISSING OR WHERE BABIES COME FROM DESPITE BEING MARRIED FOR OVER 20 YEARS WITH 2 KIDS!!!!


Yep... a great hero, indeed.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.


Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.


viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

Master Xar
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:49 am

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby Master Xar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:16 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Well, let's see:

-He lies constantly to his friends and family.
-He uses others for his own benefit (see: his treatment of King Kai).
-Has no respect for authority as shown with him punching at Monaka for no reason despite Beerus telling him not to and when he selfishly ignored Beerus' warnings about Zeno.
-Doesn't seem to care trillions will die as long as he gets a good fight.

Now the worst of them all:

HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT KISSING OR WHERE BABIES COME FROM DESPITE BEING MARRIED FOR OVER 20 YEARS WITH 2 KIDS!!!!


Yep... a great hero, indeed.

1.) so? His lies were only really in the US arc, he had good intention not to cause panic, and Gohan pushed him to do it. Goku has lied before Super too.
2.) that’s played on for a running joke and it’s really only him.
3.) Goku never had a good perception of authority unless they are his master, outside of that he couldn’t care less of their title.
4.) they were gonna die anyways from Zeno, plus the SDBs were a reward, he wins, he wishes them back, plus he does admit his fault to Beerus and takes responsibility, should be have shown more concern? Maybe. This isn’t a scenario Goku has been put in.

5.) the kissing thing I will give you, the pregnant thing was just Goku not recognizing someone who is pregnant at the moment, but both of these things have nothing to do with being a hero, so the fact that you said this was the “biggest one” is egregious.

User avatar
SupremeKai25
Regular
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:22 pm

-Has no respect for authority as shown with him punching at Monaka for no reason despite Beerus telling him not to and when he selfishly ignored Beerus' warnings about Zeno.


Don't forget about his attitude with Zamasu. He was very rude and disrespectful and kept ignoring Zamasu's desperate pleas to leave him alone because he is a foolish Saiyan who just wants a fight and doesn't care about others' opinions. And he acted like a buffoon, even daring to touch and mock Zamasu, who is a God and thus deserves the respect and admiration that he is due. The tragic thing is, Zamasu was willing to learn more about the nature of Gods and mortals and the roles of a Kai, but Goku just had to ruin the promising young Kai's future by acting like a warmongering brute and proving that mortals would not only desecrate a sacred ground with violence, but would raise their fist against a God.

Goku is also so stupid. Like, come on, it doesn't take genius to figure out that a God is not just a sparring partner that you can treat however you like. But, No, Beerus and Whis had to step in and remind him that he was talking to a God because he was too dumb to realize the obvious importance of the respect that a Kai is due.
HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT KISSING OR WHERE BABIES COME FROM DESPITE BEING MARRIED FOR OVER 20 YEARS WITH 2 KIDS!!!!

Right? I wonder if he was doing it on purpose just to mess around with Vegeta a little bit, or if he really is that oblivious and stupid! :lol:
My form is justice. And my form is the world. Worship me. Give praise unto me. Me, the beautiful, the sublime... Me, the invincible, the almighty and divine... All hail Zamasu.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 19662
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:29 pm

Goku is an Accidental Hero. He says this himself in Episode 87 where he states that he's never been fully aware of saving the world, and has only gotten as far as he has in life from fighting strong guys. But that doesn't mean he lack ethics or morals as he also goes on to state that he can't stand innocent and animals getting erased.

It's reiterated in Episode 130 when Jiren tries to attack Goku's friends and family in the stands of the Tournament Of Power, and Goku gets angry, while also stating that while he's not a hero of justice or anything like that, he won't forgive anybody who hurts his friends.

User avatar
sintzu
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 12928
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby sintzu » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:43 pm

He's not a hero in the sense that he's out looking for people to save like comic heroes but his actions end up saving people so yes, he's a hero even though that's not really his goal when he decides to fight who put others in danger, at least not all the time.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6286
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Master Xar wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Well, let's see:

-He lies constantly to his friends and family.
-He uses others for his own benefit (see: his treatment of King Kai).
-Has no respect for authority as shown with him punching at Monaka for no reason despite Beerus telling him not to and when he selfishly ignored Beerus' warnings about Zeno.
-Doesn't seem to care trillions will die as long as he gets a good fight.

Now the worst of them all:

HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT KISSING OR WHERE BABIES COME FROM DESPITE BEING MARRIED FOR OVER 20 YEARS WITH 2 KIDS!!!!


Yep... a great hero, indeed.

1.) so? His lies were only really in the US arc, he had good intention not to cause panic, and Gohan pushed him to do it. Goku has lied before Super too.
2.) that’s played on for a running joke and it’s really only him.
3.) Goku never had a good perception of authority unless they are his master, outside of that he couldn’t care less of their title.
4.) they were gonna die anyways from Zeno, plus the SDBs were a reward, he wins, he wishes them back, plus he does admit his fault to Beerus and takes responsibility, should be have shown more concern? Maybe. This isn’t a scenario Goku has been put in.

5.) the kissing thing I will give you, the pregnant thing was just Goku not recognizing someone who is pregnant at the moment, but both of these things have nothing to do with being a hero, so the fact that you said this was the “biggest one” is egregious.

1. He lied to Chi-Chi about training with Whis (even Bulma ratted him out for it) and he lied about the first tournament. Even with the ToP, he fed them all empty promises he knew he couldn't keep.

2. He kept bugging Bulma and Whis for training to the point where they couldn't take it anymore.

Gag or not, it's not funny and it just shows Goku is a douche.

3. It isn't the fact he doesn't understand them. It's the fact he openly defied them for his own selfish gain.

4. Goku only "took" responsibility because Beerus forced him to and it's made clear throughout the arc that those lives are secondary to Goku as he even goaded the other universes to fight better using this factor.

5. It was a joke but the manga spells out pretty clearly he doesn't know where babies come from as he states he wasn't there when Gohan or Goten were being conceived prompting with Vegeta calling him a terrible father.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.


Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.


viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

Master Xar
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:49 am

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby Master Xar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:04 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Master Xar wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Well, let's see:

-He lies constantly to his friends and family.
-He uses others for his own benefit (see: his treatment of King Kai).
-Has no respect for authority as shown with him punching at Monaka for no reason despite Beerus telling him not to and when he selfishly ignored Beerus' warnings about Zeno.
-Doesn't seem to care trillions will die as long as he gets a good fight.

Now the worst of them all:

HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT KISSING OR WHERE BABIES COME FROM DESPITE BEING MARRIED FOR OVER 20 YEARS WITH 2 KIDS!!!!


Yep... a great hero, indeed.

1.) so? His lies were only really in the US arc, he had good intention not to cause panic, and Gohan pushed him to do it. Goku has lied before Super too.
2.) that’s played on for a running joke and it’s really only him.
3.) Goku never had a good perception of authority unless they are his master, outside of that he couldn’t care less of their title.
4.) they were gonna die anyways from Zeno, plus the SDBs were a reward, he wins, he wishes them back, plus he does admit his fault to Beerus and takes responsibility, should be have shown more concern? Maybe. This isn’t a scenario Goku has been put in.

5.) the kissing thing I will give you, the pregnant thing was just Goku not recognizing someone who is pregnant at the moment, but both of these things have nothing to do with being a hero, so the fact that you said this was the “biggest one” is egregious.

1. He lied to Chi-Chi about training with Whis (even Bulma ratted him out for it) and he lied about the first tournament. Even with the ToP, he fed them all empty promises he knew he couldn't keep.

2. He kept bugging Bulma and Whis for training to the point where they couldn't take it anymore.

Gag or not, it's not funny and it just shows Goku is a douche.

3. It isn't the fact he doesn't understand them. It's the fact he openly defied them for his own selfish gain.

4. Goku only "took" responsibility because Beerus forced him to and it's made clear throughout the arc that those lives are secondary to Goku as he even goaded the other universes to fight better using this factor.

5. It was a joke but the manga spells out pretty clearly he doesn't know where babies come from as he states he wasn't there when Gohan or Goten were being conceived prompting with Vegeta calling him a terrible father.

1.) very arbitrary and little lies, it’s only fair considering Chi-Chi is bullshitting him on the whole Hercule reward money and making him work and miss out on important training when he doesn’t need him to in the first place. Bulma who’s a close friend can easily give pretty much all their rewards for the tournament and she already did with 17

2.) Yeah the entire point of a joke is that you don’t take it seriously, while Goku likes his training it’s also important that he does it, had it been any later Freeza would have kicked his ass and destroyed Earth.

3.) He has defied the Kais order of not fighting Vegeta back in the Buu arc, defied King Kais order of not going above the limits of Kaioken, and went after Freeza against his orders too.

4.) there’s no “forcing” to take responsibility you either do it or you don’t, and yes Goku goads his opponents, doesn’t mean the lives are secondary to him.

5.) manga and anime are 2 different continuities, one doesn’t speak for the other, you got a problem with that take it up in the manga section, we’re talking about the anime.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5068
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby Polyphase Avatron » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:47 pm

He saved the Earth multiple times, so I would say he is.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6286
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:52 pm

Master Xar wrote:1.) very arbitrary and little lies, it’s only fair considering Chi-Chi is bullshitting him on the whole Hercule reward money and making him work and miss out on important training when he doesn’t need him to in the first place. Bulma who’s a close friend can easily give pretty much all their rewards for the tournament and she already did with 17

2.) Yeah the entire point of a joke is that you don’t take it seriously, while Goku likes his training it’s also important that he does it, had it been any later Freeza would have kicked his ass and destroyed Earth.

3.) He has defied the Kais order of not fighting Vegeta back in the Buu arc, defied King Kais order of not going above the limits of Kaioken, and went after Freeza against his orders too.

4.) there’s no “forcing” to take responsibility you either do it or you don’t, and yes Goku goads his opponents, doesn’t mean the lives are secondary to him.

5.) manga and anime are 2 different continuities, one doesn’t speak for the other, you got a problem with that take it up in the manga section, we’re talking about the anime.

1. It's not like Goku knew that or cared about the greater goid. He just wanted a rematch with Beerus.

2. Jokes generally have relation to character (although exaggerated) and the joke is Goku's a battle-crazed freak.

3. Supreme Kai was being unreasonable so it was either threaten him or there's gonna be a lot more casualties to Majin Boo. Goku had no choice but to go beyond the limits of Kaio-ken. He also didn't defy King Kai when going after Freeza per say, he simply viewed him as mitivation to get even stronger. If he really was being defiant, he would've went straight for Freeza instead of the Ginyu Force to save the others.

4. He was clearly not about getting the job but satisfying his battle boner. Beerus even called him out for not caring and Goku was visibly annoyed that Beerus was making him take responsibility.

5. They're both based on the same outline and I'm talking about Super in general, not just cherry-picking one adaptation.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.


Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.


viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby Zen Yabuki » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:52 pm

Lol of course he’s a hero. Not one in the traditional sense however but Goku is a hero.

User avatar
Simere
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1422
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby Simere » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Zen Yabuki wrote:Lol of course he’s a hero. Not one in the traditional sense however but Goku is a hero.

But in the traditional traditional sense, he's unquestionably a hero. The ones defined by qualities like bravery and determination, rather than how much time you spent sucking up to authority, playing with your kids and kissing your wife.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby Zen Yabuki » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Simere wrote:
Zen Yabuki wrote:Lol of course he’s a hero. Not one in the traditional sense however but Goku is a hero.

But in the traditional traditional sense, he's unquestionably a hero. The ones defined by qualities like bravery and determination, rather than how much time you spent sucking up to authority, playing with your kids and kissing your wife.

Well yeah. Goku is much closer to a classical hero than your standard American comic book hero

User avatar
PFM18
I Live Here
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby PFM18 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:51 pm

No. They fixed the portrayal that the anime of DBZ had given him. He was never supposed to be a generic hero he was always a selfish guy who is stupid but has good intentions in the end. He isn't necessarily unethical but he can prioritize fighting strong people over the well being of others, the dub especially made him into a hero when he isn't. In fact, Toriyama complained about the anime making Goku into a hero.

Master Xar
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:49 am

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby Master Xar » Tue May 01, 2018 3:17 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Master Xar wrote:1.) very arbitrary and little lies, it’s only fair considering Chi-Chi is bullshitting him on the whole Hercule reward money and making him work and miss out on important training when he doesn’t need him to in the first place. Bulma who’s a close friend can easily give pretty much all their rewards for the tournament and she already did with 17

2.) Yeah the entire point of a joke is that you don’t take it seriously, while Goku likes his training it’s also important that he does it, had it been any later Freeza would have kicked his ass and destroyed Earth.

3.) He has defied the Kais order of not fighting Vegeta back in the Buu arc, defied King Kais order of not going above the limits of Kaioken, and went after Freeza against his orders too.

4.) there’s no “forcing” to take responsibility you either do it or you don’t, and yes Goku goads his opponents, doesn’t mean the lives are secondary to him.

5.) manga and anime are 2 different continuities, one doesn’t speak for the other, you got a problem with that take it up in the manga section, we’re talking about the anime.

1. It's not like Goku knew that or cared about the greater goid. He just wanted a rematch with Beerus.

2. Jokes generally have relation to character (although exaggerated) and the joke is Goku's a battle-crazed freak.

3. Supreme Kai was being unreasonable so it was either threaten him or there's gonna be a lot more casualties to Majin Boo. Goku had no choice but to go beyond the limits of Kaio-ken. He also didn't defy King Kai when going after Freeza per say, he simply viewed him as mitivation to get even stronger. If he really was being defiant, he would've went straight for Freeza instead of the Ginyu Force to save the others.

4. He was clearly not about getting the job but satisfying his battle boner. Beerus even called him out for not caring and Goku was visibly annoyed that Beerus was making him take responsibility.

5. They're both based on the same outline and I'm talking about Super in general, not just cherry-picking one adaptation.

1.) once again he only really lied to get them motivated to join they were being stupid anyway not to join since the universe is on the line. No he wanted to train, Beerus even offered a rematch in ROF where he is a good margin stronger than his BOG arc self and Goku refused.

2.) exactly they played it up for a few laughs and that’s it, in reality and later shown while Goku may be a battle freak his heart is in the right place. Some found it funny some didn’t, but at the end of the day he had reason to panic because he is falling behind on important training that in retrospect and with anyone that has been paying attention at this point in Dragonball was NEEDED.

3.) Unreasonable? Dude. Supreme Kai was arguably the most reasonable guy there, he even called Vegeta out on this being a petty fight because his pride was hurt and he is throwing a mid-life crisis baby tantrum, their fight CAUSED Buu to awaken and go on a rampage, not the other way around.
Goku was at a point in Kaioken x2 where he can manage to hurt Vegeta, the gap isn’t that large, he isn’t Freeza where Goku NEEDED SSJ, it takes a decent tactic, and Goku using a few of his friends moves and he’d have trounced Vegeta he wasn’t “forced” he just took the easier and quicker route than settling for less and figuring things out for himself.
One could argue that if Goku had went to the planet alone (I.e no Krillin, Gohan, and Vegeta) and was warned with King Kai, he’d have still done it with the Nameks dying and him needing the Dragonballs, why? Because it’s not in character for Goku to sit by and watch, authority be damned. See my point?

4.) Once again he either did or he didn’t, while he was influenced, he wasn’t “forced” nor could he, Beerus at this point can’t do shit to Goku, what’s he gonna do? Kill/Hakai/Injure his legit biggest chance at winning the tournament? Nah. Goku literally didn’t have to do anything if he didn’t want to outside of getting into the tournament, but he took responsibility and gathered the team when he didn’t need to in the first place.

5.) Akira’s outlines have been evidenced to be vague and left up to open, that’s why there’s big differences in both, It’s not “cherrypicking” because they’re not the same iteration of the character dude. Pick a continuity and stick to it.

But it seems we are at an impasse, let’s just agree to disagree.

User avatar
PFM18
I Live Here
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby PFM18 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:54 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Goku is an Accidental Hero. He says this himself in Episode 87 where he states that he's never been fully aware of saving the world, and has only gotten as far as he has in life from fighting strong guys. But that doesn't mean he lack ethics or morals as he also goes on to state that he can't stand innocent and animals getting erased.

It's reiterated in Episode 130 when Jiren tries to attack Goku's friends and family in the stands of the Tournament Of Power, and Goku gets angry, while also stating that while he's not a hero of justice or anything like that, he won't forgive anybody who hurts his friends.


Beautifully put. He isnt the generic "hero" that goes around saving people but he has always had good intentions. Ultimately he ends up saving people by wanting to fight strong guys. This isnt actually explicirly stated until DBS but it was implied throughout

User avatar
Jackalope89
Regular
Posts: 730
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby Jackalope89 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:35 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Goku is an Accidental Hero. He says this himself in Episode 87 where he states that he's never been fully aware of saving the world, and has only gotten as far as he has in life from fighting strong guys. But that doesn't mean he lack ethics or morals as he also goes on to state that he can't stand innocent and animals getting erased.

It's reiterated in Episode 130 when Jiren tries to attack Goku's friends and family in the stands of the Tournament Of Power, and Goku gets angry, while also stating that while he's not a hero of justice or anything like that, he won't forgive anybody who hurts his friends.

Yep. This about covers it.

And another episode that reiterates that he cares for his family, as the English dub of it just aired, was this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xkOKYN1SE8

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6286
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby DBZAOTA482 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:04 am

Master Xar wrote:1.) once again he only really lied to get them motivated to join they were being stupid anyway not to join since the universe is on the line. No he wanted to train, Beerus even offered a rematch in ROF where he is a good margin stronger than his BOG arc self and Goku refused.

2.) exactly they played it up for a few laughs and that’s it, in reality and later shown while Goku may be a battle freak his heart is in the right place. Some found it funny some didn’t, but at the end of the day he had reason to panic because he is falling behind on important training that in retrospect and with anyone that has been paying attention at this point in Dragonball was NEEDED.

3.) Unreasonable? Dude. Supreme Kai was arguably the most reasonable guy there, he even called Vegeta out on this being a petty fight because his pride was hurt and he is throwing a mid-life crisis baby tantrum, their fight CAUSED Buu to awaken and go on a rampage, not the other way around.
Goku was at a point in Kaioken x2 where he can manage to hurt Vegeta, the gap isn’t that large, he isn’t Freeza where Goku NEEDED SSJ, it takes a decent tactic, and Goku using a few of his friends moves and he’d have trounced Vegeta he wasn’t “forced” he just took the easier and quicker route than settling for less and figuring things out for himself.
One could argue that if Goku had went to the planet alone (I.e no Krillin, Gohan, and Vegeta) and was warned with King Kai, he’d have still done it with the Nameks dying and him needing the Dragonballs, why? Because it’s not in character for Goku to sit by and watch, authority be damned. See my point?

4.) Once again he either did or he didn’t, while he was influenced, he wasn’t “forced” nor could he, Beerus at this point can’t do shit to Goku, what’s he gonna do? Kill/Hakai/Injure his legit biggest chance at winning the tournament? Nah. Goku literally didn’t have to do anything if he didn’t want to outside of getting into the tournament, but he took responsibility and gathered the team when he didn’t need to in the first place.

5.) Akira’s outlines have been evidenced to be vague and left up to open, that’s why there’s big differences in both, It’s not “cherrypicking” because they’re not the same iteration of the character dude. Pick a continuity and stick to it.

But it seems we are at an impasse, let’s just agree to disagree.

1. Beerus was whooping his ass the last time they fought so challenging him at that moment would just end with Goku getting trounced again.

2. It was beneficial for the story but that wasn't really what was on Goku's mind. He himself says he just wants to get strong and fight Beerus/Monaka.

3. Yeah, the guy who thought giving Majin Boo nearly half the energy he needed to be revived was a good idea then literally forgot he sensed Gohan as SSJ2 an hour later and feared the mighty Pui-Pui is definitely reasonable. The fight between Goku and Vegeta was gonna happen either he let it happen or not. The gap between Goku and Vegeta when they first fought was quite big... hell, Vegeta purposely slowed down a fireball when Goku did use Kaioken x2 just for kicks. There was no other options... even King Kai noted he underestimated Vegeta and Kaioken wasn't enough against him.

4. Beerus was screaming and hollering at Goku till he decided to take "responsibility". That sounds like the very definition of 'forced'... Goku never shows any regret or empathy for those suffering in the plan.

No universe means no Goku so he kinda had to do something and having a team of 10 was one of the requirements.

5. Toriyama co-signs the manga over the anime and the overall meaning beyond the scenes for both versions isn't really that different so I place the responsibility on Toriyama.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.


Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.


viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby TBMx » Wed May 02, 2018 7:17 am

DBS's version is not a hero in any modern understanding of the term. But he can be classed a hero like Achilles from Greek myth. Just a ridiculously OP warrior the story's about who's venerated by his peers.

User avatar
TekTheNinja
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1637
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:36 pm
Location: The realm of annoyance.

Re: Is Goku a hero in Super?

Postby TekTheNinja » Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 am

TBMx wrote:DBS's version is not a hero in any modern understanding of the term. But he can be classed a hero like Achilles from Greek myth. Just a ridiculously OP warrior the story's about who's venerated by his peers.

Even characters like that had motivations and things to fight for. Goku in Super doesn't really care about anything or anyone if it doesn't amuse his battle obsession. He's by no means heroic in Super.
-A bitter fan of the human characters of Dragon Ball.
Chris Sabat wrote:#YamchaForever


saiyanvegetable wrote:Trunks slowly realizes this is not the past he came to when he fought Cell, instead he finds himself trapped in a world with hollow caricatures, a talking cat, and a Goku who beat the heart virus but is suffering from retardation.


Return to “Dragon Ball Super”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cure Dragon 255, Shaddy and 13 guests