"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:Chapter 36 predictions?

Goku uses spirit bomb on jiren, fails, he gets Omen and they fight and it ends the same way it did in the anime.
With Hit gone now, wouldn't be surprise if we get Caulifla and Kale face time.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Wed May 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Miracles wrote:

Goku uses spirit bomb on jiren, fails, he gets Omen and they fight and it ends the same way it did in the anime.
With Hit gone now, wouldn't be surprise if we get Caulifla and Kale face time.
i don't think that will be in ch 36, the last chapter ended with goku and jiren facing off and i think we will go from there with those two

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:20 pm

Gogeta vs. Kefla
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu May 03, 2018 8:35 pm

I know I’m a little late to comment on chapter 35, but I have to say, I don’t think the way the tournament has been progressing in the manga so far is really any better than it how it went in the anime around this point. For all the complaints about how U7 and U6 hogged up most of the eliminations, the manga has been even worse about that so far. The onscreen eliminations have all been for a few of the Universe 7 fighters, Frost, and now Jiren. Even the anime at least managed to give the weaker members of U7 a chance to shine as far as eliminations were concerned.

I certainly enjoyed Hit and Goku’s banter, but I kind of feel like Hit’s elimination happened a little too early here. I’m not saying that he needed more time to shine, but I feel like his elimination was more of a soul crushing moment in the anime, where it marked the halfway point of the tournament, and really drove the point home that the tournament was getting serious.

Also, the manga so far has had the same problem as the anime when it comes to giving any of the Pride Troopers who aren’t Jiren, Toppo and Dyspo some time to shine. I do at least like how U11 still haven’t lost any of their fighters, but it still feels like they might as well just be the main three.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri May 04, 2018 2:10 am

WittyUsername wrote:I know I’m a little late to comment on chapter 35, but I have to say, I don’t think the way the tournament has been progressing in the manga so far is really any better than it how it went in the anime around this point. For all the complaints about how U7 and U6 hogged up most of the eliminations, the manga has been even worse about that so far. The onscreen eliminations have all been for a few of the Universe 7 fighters, Frost, and now Jiren. Even the anime at least managed to give the weaker members of U7 a chance to shine as far as eliminations were concerned.

I certainly enjoyed Hit and Goku’s banter, but I kind of feel like Hit’s elimination happened a little too early here. I’m not saying that he needed more time to shine, but I feel like his elimination was more of a soul crushing moment in the anime, where it marked the halfway point of the tournament, and really drove the point home that the tournament was getting serious.

Also, the manga so far has had the same problem as the anime when it comes to giving any of the Pride Troopers who aren’t Jiren, Toppo and Dyspo some time to shine. I do at least like how U11 still haven’t lost any of their fighters, but it still feels like they might as well just be the main three.
I think the difference between the anime and the manga is that the anime gave all of the eliminations to u6 and u7, whereas the manga is presumably giving other universes a more reasonable amount of eliminations, but only shows the ones involving characters we care about.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Threaa

Post by Cipher » Fri May 04, 2018 3:13 am

WittyUsername wrote:I know I’m a little late to comment on chapter 35, but I have to say, I don’t think the way the tournament has been progressing in the manga so far is really any better than it how it went in the anime around this point. For all the complaints about how U7 and U6 hogged up most of the eliminations, the manga has been even worse about that so far. The onscreen eliminations have all been for a few of the Universe 7 fighters, Frost, and now Jiren. Even the anime at least managed to give the weaker members of U7 a chance to shine as far as eliminations were concerned.

Why do all these characters need “time to shine” though? The story doesn’t demand it. The battle royale makes for a crazy backdrop, but even in the anime, which doles out section more evenly, it’s clear enough from the start who’s story it is and isn’t that a lot of its material feels like fluff.

And even reduced to just major players, we’re dealing a pretty large cast.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 04, 2018 6:48 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Gogeta vs. Kefla
I bet you £100 Gogeta will never appear in Super in any medium.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri May 04, 2018 8:21 am

Exline wrote:Another argument started because of one of my posts that was meant to be harmless and slightly inoffensive...

I didn't even attack the anime. I used an example that the anime tends to use in nearly every fight. I didn't think words" typical" and "overuses" were terms used to insult the anime. Unless you're referring to my last statement about the anime making them into cocky warriors. You have to admit the anime didn't do much in terms of character for the lesser fighters and reused to the same trope over and over again.

I think if you can't handle what we point out is wrong with the anime version, you probably shouldn't be on a discussion board where discussing both mediums is the norm.

When comparing the manga to anime, most of you sort of love to shit on the manga with the most peculiar of reasons sometimes and we try to reason with you. But when we compare the anime to the manga by pointing out its flaws, it's a problem that we need to fix? That smells like hypocrisy.
Don't play the victim, please.

You brought the anime into a conversation it wasn't needed and you negatively exagerated a trait it had, how is that not an attack? That's a pretty good example of the midset I was referring to.

What you point out is wrong with the anime is just your opinion, nothing more. And this thread isn't to compare the two so, while comparisons are natural, I expect people to have common sense and, at least, read the title of the thread they are posting in.

That's not what I do and, if I'm not mistaken, people that prefer the manga were the first ones to bash the anime when comparing the two. Switch anime and manga in your paragraph and the result you get is the same.
TKA wrote:This is nonsense. Both works come from the same notes. How on Earth could you possibly talk about one without referencing the other? The only way to do so is to not indulge in one of them.
By talking about one without referencing the other. This thread is to discuss the manga, not comparing it to the anime.
Marlowe89 wrote:Not really. You're being presumptuous. If there's an adaptational aspect of the series that warrants a comparison, a comparison is going to be made. If the anime does something wrong that the manga does right, I'll certainly be there to point that out every single time.

There have also been plenty of instances where I preferred the manga over the anime or the anime over the manga in regards to something that I thought wasn't ideal in both versions, and I've always pointed that out as well, so your false equivalence definitely isn't doing your point any favors here.
You can compare them in your head but why would you post about it in a thread that doesn't ask you to? If the thread says "manga official discussion thread", I'm expecting that to be the main topic and not having the same three or four people having double standards every month. There's no false equivalence or presumptuousness here.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri May 04, 2018 9:05 am

alakazam^ wrote: By talking about one without referencing the other. This thread is to discuss the manga, not comparing it to the anime.
That doesn't actually reference the thing you quoted.

Comparisons to the anime are inevitable since both are different approaches to the same Toriyama notes. I don't care if it gets people angry that the media they seem to define themselves with is compared unfavorably to the manga. That whole "Anime vs Manga" thread was made just so arguments in this thread would get moved over there. It isn't a logical thread to exist and is only a thing because there's a lot of whiners around.

Long story short: expect more comparisons to be made rather than less.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 04, 2018 9:12 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Gogeta vs. Kefla
I bet you £100 Gogeta will never appear in Super in any medium.
Probably not as if they were going to bring him in they most likely wouldn't have messed with Vegetto's fusion time limit.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri May 04, 2018 9:17 am

Roshi has his time vs Universe 10 with him right at the end trying the Mafuba on Jiren.

Caulifla, Kale and Cabba vs Pride Troopers.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:25 am

WittyUsername wrote: I’m not saying that he needed more time to shine, but I feel like his elimination was more of a soul crushing moment in the anime, where it marked the halfway point of the tournament, and really drove the point home that the tournament was getting serious.
I don't think it was more "soul crushing" in the anime, and the bolded part of your post is exactly why the manga is superior in this regard. The tournament is a battle royale so it's going to be "serious" from the very start -- it's ridiculous that we had to wait for the halfway point to be reminded of that, and it causes the story to lose a ton of impact.
alakazam^ wrote: You can compare them in your head but why would you post about it in a thread that doesn't ask you to? If the thread says "manga official discussion thread", I'm expecting that to be the main topic and not having the same three or four people having double standards every month. There's no false equivalence or presumptuousness here.
It is the main topic, regardless of whether a comparison is being made or not. Your argument is a false equivalence because you're presuming the manga to be incapable of standing on its own just because someone pointed out that it succeeded at something the anime failed at or vice-versa, which doesn't logically follow at all.

Comparisons between two adaptations of the same story from those who have experienced both are, in fact, completely natural and warranted. I think the root of the problem is that you're just bothered by people talking about the anime unfavorably. That's something you're just going to have to deal with; people who criticize the manga are constantly making comparisons to the anime as well, so this isn't a one-way street.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Fri May 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Bergamo wrote:

I think the difference between the anime and the manga is that the anime gave all of the eliminations to u6 and u7, whereas the manga is presumably giving other universes a more reasonable amount of eliminations, but only shows the ones involving characters we care about.
Bergamo I don't see it that way so far in the Manga. It almost seems to be the same as the anime. Not enough of the other Universes are eliminating other competitors.

As far as I remember, only U7, U6, and U11 were able to eliminate other participants. There are about 4 fighters who were beaten off-screen without any indication as to who defeated them. It may have been fighters from the other universes, maybe not.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I bet you £100 Gogeta will never appear in Super in any medium.
Would you make a video of yourself eating a shoe? lol
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 04, 2018 2:05 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I bet you £100 Gogeta will never appear in Super in any medium.
Would you make a video of yourself eating a shoe? lol
The monetary wager will more than suffice.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Threaa

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Cipher wrote:

Why do all these characters need “time to shine” though? The story doesn’t demand it. The battle royale makes for a crazy backdrop, but even in the anime, which doles out section more evenly, it’s clear enough from the start who’s story it is and isn’t that a lot of its material feels like fluff.

And even reduced to just major players, we’re dealing a pretty large cast.
I’m not saying that every single character in the tournament needs to have their time in the spotlight. I just think that if you’re going to have a battle royale of 80 fighters, it’d be nice if you could devote some more time to showing what the heroes are up against, beyond just Jiren. I realize that’s difficult to do, but in that case, why even include so many fighters?

As for Kuririn and Tenshinhan, my problem is that their eliminations were pretty anti-climactic. The anime at least gave them some decent accomplishments prior to their eliminations. The manga just had them both getting eliminated by Frost before they had the time to do anything.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri May 04, 2018 8:09 pm

The anime was too long and the manga is too fast lol

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri May 04, 2018 10:31 pm

I'm thinking if they follow some rough main line, then next chapter will probably have U10 eliminated and Master Roshi eliminated.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri May 04, 2018 10:44 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:The anime was too long and the manga is too fast lol
5 minutes after 2 chapters isn't fast. If it follows at this rate (which it probably won't), that's about 20 chapters, or 1.75 years long.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat May 05, 2018 1:40 am

Bergamo wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:The anime was too long and the manga is too fast lol
5 minutes after 2 chapters isn't fast. If it follows at this rate (which it probably won't), that's about 20 chapters, or 1.75 years long.
If thats the case, then the pace should be sped up. This saga should be finished near the time the movie airs, at least i think thats the best time to end it.